Was a opportunity missed for Canonize the movie villains as characters of Universe 6?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Was a opportunity missed for Canonize the movie villains as characters of Universe 6?

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:38 pm

The more I think about it, I think it would have been a good development for one of the leading universes of the TOP

Garlick jr, the ancient kamisama of the planet earth U6.

Dr. Wheelo, the last human survivor of the planet earth of the U6.

Turles, he is one of the saiyans traitors and a dangerous criminal of the planet sadala.

Lord Slug, is the evil part of Pirina (taking advantage of its resemblance) a powerful namekian on the planet namek U6

Cooler, Frieza's brother in the U7 who decided to go to universe 6 because he did not like having to share the universe with his brother and father.

Bojack and his band, His race is at war with the saiyans, however they have as allies some saiyans, (caulifla and kale could belong to their criminal organization until they decide to abandon it for their own safety).

I do not know, but I think it would have been interesting for the U6 Team to take on them while they have their advance as a warrior.

BWri

Re: Was a opportunity missed for Canonize the movie villains as characters of Universe 6?

Post by BWri » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:38 pm Image

The more I think about it, I think it would have been a good development for one of the leading universes of the TOP

Turles, he is one of the saiyans traitors and a dangerous criminal of the planet sadala.

Lord Slug, is the evil part of Pirina (taking advantage of its resemblance) a powerful namekian on the planet namek U6

Cooler, Frieza's brother in the U7 who decided to go to universe 6 because he did not like having to share the universe with his brother and father.

Bojack and his band, His race is at war with the saiyans, however they have as allies some saiyans, (caulifla and kale could belong to their criminal organization until they decide to abandon it for their own safety).

I do not know, but I think it would have been interesting for the U6 Team to take on them while they have their advance as a warrior.
I really like these ideas. I wish we did get something like this, because other than Hit, universe 6 is a tad disappointing as the twin universe to u7. Only thing I'd change is the reason Cooler goes to Universe 6. Maybe he got banished to the outskirts of the universe and somehow found his way there.

I think there's still a good chance we could see these characters in other universes. I think Cooler has a good chance of appearing and Dr. Wheelo could easily be in universe 3, but the idea of him being a sort of analog to Gero in universe 6 is just brilliant!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Was a opportunity missed for Canonize the movie villains as characters of Universe 6?

Post by head_cha_la » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:31 pm

It's still possible, but Caulifla and Kale are not bad, they would rather have protagonist roles, especially since they are now friends with Cabba! And Cooler could be Frost's brother!

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:19 am

head_cha_la wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:31 pm It's still possible, but Caulifla and Kale are not bad, they would rather have protagonist roles, especially since they are now friends with Cabba! And Cooler could be Frost's brother!
I like caulifla and kale would be fine if they were protagonists however I would prefer that they do not relate to cabba or hit, the union was made for convenience and save their universe always felt forced to be friends with them too fast they are still criminals.
I prefer that cabba have a separate development.
the idea of frieza and frost is pretty good
BWri wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:20 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:38 pm Image

I really like these ideas. I wish we did get something like this, because other than Hit, universe 6 is a tad disappointing as the twin universe to u7. Only thing I'd change is the reason Cooler goes to Universe 6. Maybe he got banished to the outskirts of the universe and somehow found his way there.

I think there's still a good chance we could see these characters in other universes. I think Cooler has a good chance of appearing and Dr. Wheelo could easily be in universe 3, but the idea of him being a sort of analog to Gero in universe 6 is just brilliant!
thanks :D I also believe that zangya and turles could become allies of Team U6 maybe cooler can team up with frost

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:28 am

I think the movie villains should be used the way they are meant to be, for the alternate dimension concept, an idea that it is high time to be used in the series by the way. I feel like using them as characters from other Universes limit the possibilities in a certain way.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 am

I mean, that's sort of what they did for Broly with Kale, just in a roundabout way. Also, they didn't do that until the second time they touched on that universe, and even then she wasn't just "canon" Broly, she was a unique take on the idea. So was actual canon Broly in the movie.

Thinking back to when the U6 arc was happening and when we got that first look at the new fighters, there were plenty of people expecting exactly that (anyone remember the Broly Magetta meme?). That it would just be an excuse to introduce previously non-canon elements or Multiverse-style "what-if" scenarios. I'm glad it wasn't that. Considering it was the first original arc of the new series, it would have been a very bad start to kick off with a bunch of characters we already know. What would have been the point? Instead we got a different kind of Saiyan, a different kind of Freeza (though probably not different enough, tbh) and three wholly original character concepts, one of whom was the main opponent. That's a much better way to introduce the new universes and fighters. If they'd led with "canon" versions of existing characters, it would have set a bad precedent for the rest of the show, which has enough fanservice as it is.

Also, this should go without saying, but I hope it doesn't happen in future. Let Broly be a special case that worked out really well, don't try and do that for every movie villain. Freeza's back and better than ever, we don't need Cooler ever.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:53 am

So, here's the thing about Turles, I don't think that he works anymore now that Goku Black is one of the most popular villains in Dragon Ball. Another "Evil Goku" (and, to be clear, I use the term very broadly) would be redundant.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:00 am

While I love those ideas and love the movie villains, I'm glad they didn't go that route. I like what they did giving nods to older movie villains in later arcs like the ToP (Aniraza= Janemba/Hatchiyak, etc.) but I'm glad we got new. I think they will re-visit at least Cooler to enter the canon next after Broly's success. He just makes sense. As for the others, if they have nods to it going forward I'll be fine with that if it means getting new and interesting characters

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:03 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:53 am
So, here's the thing about Turles, I don't think that he works anymore now that Goku Black is one of the most popular villains in Dragon Ball. Another "Evil Goku" (and, to be clear, I use the term very broadly) would be redundant.
yes but the point of goku black was not to be a "evil goku" only if not to establish a mystery of who was behind ..
so we arrived with zamasu so black was only part of his plan.

and in all cases turles can start bad but then become good person so that the team U6 is composed of 4 saiyans.
Kataphrut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 am I mean, that's sort of what they did for Broly with Kale, just in a roundabout way. Also, they didn't do that until the second time they touched on that universe, and even then she wasn't just "canon" Broly, she was a unique take on the idea. So was actual canon Broly in the movie.

Thinking back to when the U6 arc was happening and when we got that first look at the new fighters, there were plenty of people expecting exactly that (anyone remember the Broly Magetta meme?). That it would just be an excuse to introduce previously non-canon elements or Multiverse-style "what-if" scenarios. I'm glad it wasn't that. Considering it was the first original arc of the new series, it would have been a very bad start to kick off with a bunch of characters we already know. What would have been the point? Instead we got a different kind of Saiyan, a different kind of Freeza (though probably not different enough, tbh) and three wholly original character concepts, one of whom was the main opponent. That's a much better way to introduce the new universes and fighters. If they'd led with "canon" versions of existing characters, it would have set a bad precedent for the rest of the show, which has enough fanservice as it is.

Also, this should go without saying, but I hope it doesn't happen in future. Let Broly be a special case that worked out really well, don't try and do that for every movie villain. Freeza's back and better than ever, we don't need Cooler ever.
At no time will be looking to replace the new characters but these movie character may have helped to develop their universe in addition the characters of the movies were left in the movies and did not have time to develop so it could be an opportunity.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:27 pm

No, because as it stands U6 is completely lame and if they were to develop it, they should use new characters, not rehashes of old movie villains.

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:41 pm

No. Canon Broly was already stupid enough (and twice, if you count whatever was Kale). I could say that both Dr. Wheelo and Tullece share some traits with Goku Black and Zamasu, and Garlic Jr. shares his DB granted immortality with, again, Zamasu, but it would definitely be a stretch... right? You see, most ideas from the movies were already put into the canon somehow, for better or for worse
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Cool ideasa but i rather they just come up from new characaters. Also, Turles cant really work anymore. Super already had an “evil Goku” storyline. Even if it wasn’t actually Goku, the point is, its someone who looks exactly like Goku who is a villain. Doing it again is repetitive. But i am fine with the idea that U6 has saiyans that are still evil. Who knows? Maybe U6 has a Super Saiyan Demon form that needs evil saiyans to have it be activated. Just dont have them look like Goku, lol.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Super more or less did a rehash of these villains. Goku Black and Zamas played the roles of Turles and Garlick Jr., respectively. Moro plays the role of Slug and Bojack. Frost plays the role of Cooler. Maji Kayo played the role of Meta Cooler. Anilasa played the roles of No.13, Janemba and Hirudegarn. Kale played Broly’s role. I just don’t see anyone like Dr. Wheel yet.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:43 pm Super more or less did a rehash of these villains. Goku Black and Zamas played the roles of Turles and Garlick Jr., respectively. Moro plays the role of Slug and Bojack. Frost plays the role of Cooler. Maji Kayo played the role of Meta Cooler. Anilasa played the roles of No.13, Janemba and Hirudegarn. Kale played Broly’s role. I just don’t see anyone like Dr. Wheel yet.
That's some stretching. Moro is nothing like Slug or Bojack, he's more King Piccolo (who Lord Slug is an Expy of) and Cell. Frost has nothing in common with Cooler outside of coming from the same species. The same with Maji Kayo who's nothing like Cooler, but more Buu.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:10 pm

HeroR wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 pm Moro is nothing like Slug or Bojack, he's more King Piccolo (who Lord Slug is an Expy of) and Cell. Frost has nothing in common with Cooler outside of coming from the same species. The same with Maji Kayo who's nothing like Cooler, but more Buu.
From my perspective, their roles are similar. Moro is searching for dragon balls to regain his peak condition, like Slug, and he escaped from a prison, like Bojack. The same species is my point for comparing Frost and Cooler. Maji Kaio looks like to be made of liquid metal, as Meta Cooler, though the real Cooler being merged some advanced technology is something more similar to GT Stuff.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:07 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:41 pm But i am fine with the idea that U6 has saiyans that are still evil. Who knows?
really that is the idea, they can quickly change their appearance so that they no longer look like him but keep the plot of the power tree and the evil saiyan.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:13 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:10 pm
HeroR wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 pm Moro is nothing like Slug or Bojack, he's more King Piccolo (who Lord Slug is an Expy of) and Cell. Frost has nothing in common with Cooler outside of coming from the same species. The same with Maji Kayo who's nothing like Cooler, but more Buu.
From my perspective, their roles are similar. Moro is searching for dragon balls to regain his peak condition, like Slug, and he escaped from a prison, like Bojack. The same species is my point for comparing Frost and Cooler. Maji Kaio looks like to be made of liquid metal, as Meta Cooler, though the real Cooler being merged some advanced technology is something more similar to GT Stuff.
And again, King Piccolo did it first, who Slug literally copied. The same as being imprisoned, which also came from King Piccolo who was trapped in a rice cooker for 100 years.

Frost has more in common with Freeza than Cooler. He doesn't even has the same designed as Cooler.

If we're going by metal design, Maji Kaio is closer to Baby.

So yeah, this is stretching. I would also call Turles a stretched since Black is closer to Ginyu-Goku since it's Goku body being possessed. by another entity. Not some Saiyan who just happens to look like Goku or even an 'evil Goku'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:56 am

HeroR wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:13 am And again, King Piccolo did it first, who Slug literally copied. The same as being imprisoned, which also came from King Piccolo who was trapped in a rice cooker for 100 years.

Frost has more in common with Freeza than Cooler. He doesn't even has the same designed as Cooler.

If we're going by metal design, Maji Kaio is closer to Baby.

So yeah, this is stretching. I would also call Turles a stretched since Black is closer to Ginyu-Goku since it's Goku body being possessed. by another entity. Not some Saiyan who just happens to look like Goku or even an 'evil Goku'.
Again, that’s my perspective. I’m not seriously debating which character is more similar to who design-wise, since that criteria is meaningless for me. It’s their roles, which don’t need to be original but recurring.