Anime or Manga - Which one handled Caulifla and Kale better in your opinion?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Anime or Manga - Which one handled Caulifla and Kale better in your opinion?

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:05 am

I think the anime did a better job with them. Caulifla in the anime had a lot of interactions with Goku which I thought were really enjoyable, while in the manga she didn't really do much aside from fighting with Freeza. Kale eliminated a bunch of fighters in the manga but I thought she was characterized better in the anime because she had more character development there. This is just my opinion though. I'm curious about what you guys think. Anime or Manga, which handled the two Universe 6 saiyans girls better?

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Anime or Manga - Which one handled Caulifla and Kale better in your opinion?

Post by Lionel » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:09 am

The manga's condensed format prompts a less thoroughly elaborated tapestry of characterisation for the characters. You're talking about 40+ pages over the span of maybe a few chapters at the most -- much of that being interspersed between the scenes focused on Goku and co. The anime doesn't have nearly as many restrictions, neither is it a static collection of black & white panels. Plus, to the anime's credit, they seem to have a done better job at delving into characterisations better than the manga -- just look at Saonel and Pirina in the anime versus the manga if you want another comparison. In their case, it's almost like night and day.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Anime or Manga - Which one handled Caulifla and Kale better in your opinion?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:39 am

I think the initial characterization of Caulifla and the build up of Kale in the manga is much more grounded and reasonable in the manga, but they unfortunately become total nothing characters once the Tournament Of Power actually begins in the manga. They individually go through zero character development, which makes their erasure lose any kind of impact. This is made all the more jarring considering how much Kefla is propped up to being a major contender in Tournament Of Power, only to have fight off-paneled and end anti-climatically

Kale's initial introduction was awful in the anime, and Caulifla being gifted SSJ2 in the fashion in happened was STUPID. But I liked the sisterly dynamic between Caulifla and Kale in and the anime, as well as the character arc Kale got. And that in it self made Kefla much more of conclusion of their respective development -- like with Vegetto in the original run -- as supposed to it being spontaneous event that happened out of convenience.

So the manga did better job with laying down the foundation, but the anime provided a much palpable payoff for the two of them.

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:14 am

The anime because of the development they got, you can have your gripes about their transformations and such, specifically Caulifla but at the end of the day they had an actual arc, beginning middle and end to their story. The manga had them as just filler characters.

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrolySSJL » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 am

Manga by far.

All the new saiyans in the anime are pure trash... Kale onichan thing is shameful, for example.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:51 am

I don't think a single character from the manga was handled even remotely good.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:27 pm

Anime in retrospect

Anime
caulifla and kale have more development in the anime which they do not have in the manga, their relationship of sisters makes their fights more interesting together as kale overcomes her fears and wishes to become strong in order to defend her loved ones and herself
caulifla sacrifices her desire to fight alone with goku, for fight togheter and not leave her aside.
the interactions with goku helped to strengthen and learn from him
in the anime it is justified that caulifla is a genius
- caulifla can feel the ki and realizes that the ssj is a special transformation
-she learned the SSJ and SSJ2 in a short time by demonstrating their power and ability
-It manages to adapt to his opponent in the middle of the fight with goku
-goku assumes that he has a lot of potential justifying his power and ability far superior to that of cabba
-all this turned she into the best option for the fusion with kale since it was the second strongest in the saiyajin team

manga
kale is just an OP character with nothing else ... it's more boring than jiren
caulifla is a human punching bag and she barely achieved the ssj which leaves her understood that barely and better than cabba
she does not know how to feel the ki and believes that the ssj is a trick ...
and has less experience and skill that cabba which makes it incoherent that she merged with kale because cabba seemed better option in the manga.
Where is the genius that supposedly is?

already for both versions it is established that kefla was the secret weapon of U6 to defeat a blue ssj however this is proved in the anime where it is goku UI who defeats it.
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:39 am Kale's initial introduction was awful in the anime, and Caulifla being gifted SSJ2 in the fashion in happened was STUPID. But I liked the sisterly dynamic between Caulifla and Kale in and the anime, as well as the character arc Kale got. And that in it self made Kefla much more of conclusion of their respective development -- like with Vegetto in the original run -- as supposed to it being spontaneous event that happened out of convenience.
this was done to make sense that caulifla is chosed to form kefla, besides justifying that caulifla is stronger than it would cabba, if only it had the ssj until goten and trunks would be more like geniuses than her.

It may seem exaggerated but in retrospect it is more consistent given the role they will play.
and gotenks has the ssj3 in a week I do not see the problem.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:39 pm

It's an unfair characterisation because they actually ARE characters in the anime. They have a relationship with each other explored through interaction, and relatively dynamic personalities. In Toyotaro's manga, it's the usual point A to point B character writing he does for just about everyone. I don't think they even talk to each other. And what little characterisation there is there is pretty thin.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:07 pm

Kale was there to set the stage for what was about to come: Broly, in animated form. Caulifla was the trigger and the recipient of fusion, while Cabba had already showed up in the Universe 6 Tournament. The development of these girls is just mashup of anime tropes that the manga never bothered with.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:35 am

They got to interact with Goku in the anime. That automatically makes them better.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:56 am

Caulifla was handled better in the anime.

Kale was handled better in the manga.

Kefla was handled better in the anime.

Overall, anime Caulifla and manga Kale are the better of each version. I love the way manga Kefla was formed haphazardly befitting one of Caulifla's quirk, whereas I hate how the anime her was suddenly U6's trump card... I like how powerful and challenging the anime Kefla was whereas I hate the disappointing send-off and challenge from Gohan the manga her received.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

ZeroDio
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZeroDio » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 am

The manga only improved Caulifla with 1 new attack other than that nothing for her in the manga

The Manga basically made Kale a OP plot device to wipe out like several universes so toyotaro had less to draw. So didn’t really help

The anime is where the 2 got actual development and maybe if we ever get a U6 Saiyan Centered Arc... they can improve more

Raimundo

Post by Raimundo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:39 am I think the initial characterization of Caulifla and the build up of Kale in the manga is much more grounded and reasonable in the manga, but they unfortunately become total nothing characters once the Tournament Of Power actually begins in the manga. They individually go through zero character development, which makes their erasure lose any kind of impact. This is made all the more jarring considering how much Kefla is propped up to being a major contender in Tournament Of Power, only to have fight off-paneled and end anti-climatically

Kale's initial introduction was awful in the anime, and Caulifla being gifted SSJ2 in the fashion in happened was STUPID. But I liked the sisterly dynamic between Caulifla and Kale in and the anime, as well as the character arc Kale got. And that in it self made Kefla much more of conclusion of their respective development -- like with Vegetto in the original run -- as supposed to it being spontaneous event that happened out of convenience.

So the manga did better job with laying down the foundation, but the anime provided a much palpable payoff for the two of them.
This is basically where I’m at.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:16 pm

>Kale
>Anime vs Manga

Seriously? Would anyone actually prefer Broly with lipstick jealous crybaby over girl who hides her power to not hurt a person she respects a most in her life?

Anyway, all of them were better in manga to me, although the anime vs manga gap isn't that big in case of Caulifla. In case of Kale, the gap is deeper than universe. Kefla looked better in manga and was more likeable, so i pick manga as well.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Well, in the manga they barely had any character and were just used as an excuse to quickly plow through some mooks. IN the anime, they had characters that used their time to develop their relationship, leading to some entertaining and interesting fights with Goku as they progress and learn from him.

So, yeah, I'm gonna say I like the anime version better even if the anime Kale had the terrible crime of... Having some Broly references thrown into one episode for two minutes.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Kale in the anime was annoying to me so I choose the manga
Caulifla and Kefla have nothing in the manga imo so the anime wins
Also related to them, Caulifla's gang was A LOT better in the manga iirc

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:32 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:16 pm >Kale
>Anime vs Manga

Seriously? Would anyone actually prefer Broly with lipstick jealous crybaby over girl who hides her power to not hurt a person she respects a most in her life?
anyone who prefers a character with development would do it
kale of the manga is just a character op boring (worse than jiren) and since his relationship of sisters does not exist in the manga his relationship with caulifla feels empty because we never see it.
both are based on broly that does not change in anime or manga

nevertheless kale of the anime demonstrates to overcome its fears to be able to return stronger and to protect her loved ones acquires a reason to want to surpass itself. none of that has kale manga
sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:16 pm Anyway, all of them were better in manga to me, although the anime vs manga gap isn't that big in case of Caulifla. In case of Kale, the gap is deeper than universe. Kefla looked better in manga and was more likeable, so i pick manga as well.
kefla is not different in anime or manga except for his surrender and pathetic defeat after kale defeated 4 universes ...
kefla of the anime at least had a good and great fight against goku

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:17 pm

Kanassa wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:32 pm Well, in the manga they barely had any character and were just used as an excuse to quickly plow through some mooks. IN the anime, they had characters that used their time to develop their relationship, leading to some entertaining and interesting fights with Goku as they progress and learn from him.

So, yeah, I'm gonna say I like the anime version better even if the anime Kale had the terrible crime of... Having some Broly references thrown into one episode for two minutes.
This
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:00 pm

Manga.

But Kefla's version of it... was simply shameful.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:21 pm

Caulifla/Kale have characters in the anime so...the anime wins :thumbup: