I'm done with the dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: I'm done with the dub

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon May 06, 2019 12:54 pm

TKA wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 am
coola wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:43 am For quite sometime, Funimation staff members started push their political agenda into dubs, and that was main reason i stopped buying their products for over year or so, voting with wallet was always best option :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEXurYaIHao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7tS0ziL7rg
It's called localization.

What might play for a Japanese audience might be completely lost on a Western audience. At that point it's the dubber's responsibility to capture essence of what was said. I've never seen either of the anime you linked, but if the original Japanese said something like "are you an otaku/hikkikomori" then western audiences have no concept of those, and there's no direct one-word translation for them. Saying someone is a gamergate creep though is 100% viable as a translation, since it carries the negative connotation that "otaku" and "hikkikomori" do (and yes, these ARE negative terms in Japan).

The way I see it, a lot of this is just people being ruffled by being forced to confront contemporary issues/conventions. "Getting political," is often just a nicer/more spineless way of saying that.
No, they completely made that up. In the original she just tells him that she's a second year and that he ought to address his seniors more politely.

It's the same in Dragon Maid, the dragons randomly start talking about patriarchal societal demands even though they have minimal knowledge of human culture and the joke in the original scene is Lucoa's lack of familiarity with human cultural norms.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon May 06, 2019 2:42 pm

TKA wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 am
coola wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:43 am For quite sometime, Funimation staff members started push their political agenda into dubs, and that was main reason i stopped buying their products for over year or so, voting with wallet was always best option :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEXurYaIHao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7tS0ziL7rg
It's called localization.

What might play for a Japanese audience might be completely lost on a Western audience. At that point it's the dubber's responsibility to capture essence of what was said. I've never seen either of the anime you linked, but if the original Japanese said something like "are you an otaku/hikkikomori" then western audiences have no concept of those, and there's no direct one-word translation for them. Saying someone is a gamergate creep though is 100% viable as a translation, since it carries the negative connotation that "otaku" and "hikkikomori" do (and yes, these ARE negative terms in Japan).

The way I see it, a lot of this is just people being ruffled by being forced to confront contemporary issues/conventions. "Getting political," is often just a nicer/more spineless way of saying that.
"You have to address your superior more politely" in original
"Are you one of those Gamergate creeps?" in dub
Now imagine if for example 18 or Bulma suddenly started talking about SJW related stuff, it have nothing to do with show! Personally, i dont care if you are left wing or right wing or whatever, but if you put your political agenda into dubbing of series that have nothing to do with it, then you wont see penny from me. Keep that to Twitter, or make your own TV series.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon May 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Given the choice I've been sub only since the 90's. But as for physical media. I'm getting there. Between the Broly movie having that horrible tint, Super having the credits replaced, and now the announcement that they're going to use dub names in the subtitles, I don't think it's even worth collecting anymore. I'd rather just get a proper sub. I really want to show my support but given how much time and money I've devoted to this series I'm starting to think I don't owe them anything if Toei's going to disregard half of it's fanbase.