I'm done with the dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

I'm done with the dub

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:55 am

I know this kind of title seems clickbait-y and unnecessary for this forum, but hear me out. I've been a dub-only dude since back when I first got exposed to Dragon Ball in like '04/05 and especially when Kai revived my interest in DB overall back in 2010. Now, however, not so much. For one, there's the controversy surrounding Funimation that has made me more fond of the Japanese cast due to their lack of controversy. It's not the dub's fault, but it does ruin the experience a bit. Also, I feel like now that modern day DB fans have access to the episodes online unlike the old days, everyone understands the type of character Goku is supposed to be. In Super, when I hear Sean Schemmel, it just doesn't click like it used to because I understand Goku better as a character. Also, guy can kind of be an asshole sometimes it seems. Masako Nozawa is the opposite. Sweet, sincere, and caring. Like Goku. Then, there's the TERRIBLE covers for most of the Super ending songs (songs that have much better and memorable nostalgic covers from fans online). Not like the old days where Funimation put out decent English dub songs. It's sad I find myself singing the English covers more than the English dub songs.

Maybe I'm rambling, but I just came to this realization yesterday. Even Chris Sabat has admitted that people go to the sub first, which is why they make their cringe-like meme line changes. I've also seen kids (such as Goshin from YT interviewing them after Broly OR Britney Spears' kid drawing Ultra Instinct Goku) who now watch the sub first and foremost as part of their childhood. Watching the sub is literally the standard now. Hell, was it Spain that held the whole Super finale stadium viewing for the SUB?!!! So yeah, I need to let go of my old (dub) views of thinking and just give in to the new (sub). So, when Super returns in July or whenever, I'll be watching it sub-only from now on and only check out the occasional dub clip every now and then (Pretty much what I've been doing for a while now). I probably won't even purchase the series dubbed anymore on home video as I see no point if I can just watch the entire sub online. I need to let go of my physical media only mindset as well as my DUB FIRST mindset. Unless there's a simuldub, waiting for Funimation to dub Super is like a spoiler waiting to happen. Oh, and I'm just tired overall of waiting for their Blu-ray sets to release LONG AFTER the sub has completed. I know I sound spoiled and I apologize for that, but it's how I feel. Thing is, I don't even get enjoyment from the dub anymore unlike when I was younger. I'll still watch the classic series (DB, Z, GT) dubbed sometimes, but as for Super, no more. The classic dubs are my childhood despite their flaws, but not Super's dub - so this confirms my decision even more.

Thoughts? I'm ready for the hate replies, but I don't care. This is just how I feel and I welcome disagreement if it has meaning to it. I just needed to write this post because it feels so good to confirm this to myself.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Re: I'm done with the dub

Post by SaiyaSith » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm in the same boat. I was exclusively a dub person but after watching the Japanese version of Super, I don't care for the English dub anymore. The Funimation casting and unprofessional-ism only further pushed me completely away from the dub. Not to mention their ridiculous scripts...

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:20 pm

SaiyaSith wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:13 pm I'm in the same boat. I was exclusively a dub person but after watching the Japanese version of Super, I don't care for the English dub anymore. The Funimation casting and unprofessional-ism only further pushed me completely away from the dub. Not to mention their ridiculous scripts...
Exactly. And that's not to say I still won't play the video games dubbed and get a dub experience that way, but as for the series, it just seems pointless. I remember I was talking about Super's slow Blu-ray release schedule from Funimation because back in the day, Z and GT would release on home video BEFORE their television debut, from what I remember. Then, VegettoEX basically said something along the lines of "The series is readily available in Japanese now. No reason to complain." It was a blunt statement that doesn't exactly consider a dub fan's perspective, but at the end of the day: The guy's right. Next month, I'm seeing Endgame because it comes out next month. So, in July, I'm watching Super because it comes out in July. Period.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Personally prefer the dub despite watching all the sub episodes as their aired. The script changes aren't nearly as drastic as some people pushed, although there as some weirdness. But other helped enhanced the dialog, which can be very dry at times or repetitive.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:59 pm

They reason I watched Super subbed is because I didn't want to wait to the dub. Still hate Japanese Goku

Also tc, Spain aired Super finale's subbed because they dub wasn't finished yet

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Yalos wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:59 pm They reason I watched Super subbed is because I didn't want to wait to the dub. Still hate Japanese Goku

I'm kinda opposite. I would never watch ToP if it wasn't for polish dub. ToP Arc in Poland started and ended this year (5 episodes per week) so it's like 2 years after this arc started in Japan? I only watched it for dub because it's the first time we got dub in DB (except for DBZ movies 12&13) and i really liked our dub. There are tons of easter eggs that do not feel out of place like in FUNimation dubs and some voices, like Bulma and Zamasu, are actually better than original and english ones imo.

Tbh i like both Nozawa and Schemmel as Goku, but with Nozawa i prefer her voice as either kid Goku, SSJ4 Goku or Goku Black.
Regular adult Goku sounds a bit better with Schemmel imo. SSJ4 Goku in english dub sounds just ok and Goku Black sounds absolutely terrible. I also like Stephanie Nadolny as kid Goku (and Gohan) but absolutely hate Colleen Clinkenbeard (i hope i got her name right, too lazy to check lol).
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm

I watched Super subbed purely because the dub was so far behind. now that the dub is almost finished, I dont really want to it. Not because of the dub, but the show itself. I just didnt like DBS enough to warrant a rewatch, dub or not. But the few things I have seen of Super dub, I enjoy it more because thats the cast I enjoy.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:20 pm
Yalos wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:59 pm They reason I watched Super subbed is because I didn't want to wait to the dub. Still hate Japanese Goku

I'm kinda opposite. I would never watch ToP if it wasn't for polish dub. ToP Arc in Poland started and ended this year (5 episodes per week) so it's like 2 years after this arc started in Japan? I only watched it for dub because it's the first time we got dub in DB (except for DBZ movies 12&13) and i really liked our dub. There are tons of easter eggs that do not feel out of place like in FUNimation dubs and some voices, like Bulma and Zamasu, are actually better than original and english ones imo.

Tbh i like both Nozawa and Schemmel as Goku, but with Nozawa i prefer her voice as either kid Goku, SSJ4 Goku or Goku Black.
Regular adult Goku sounds a bit better with Schemmel imo. SSJ4 Goku in english dub sounds just ok and Goku Black sounds absolutely terrible. I also like Stephanie Nadolny as kid Goku (and Gohan) but absolutely hate Colleen Clinkenbeard (i hope i got her name right, too lazy to check lol).
Nice!
If we're talking about local dubs.. I don't really like the Hebrew dub of Super. It kept the name changes from Z and GT (Vegeta and Frieza are still Makita and Pariz) and the old cast returned. Goku's Hebrew voice is alright but Avi Meir is terrible as Black. Vegets and Piccolo's awful voice actors returned.
I really like Beerus' voice actor tho. He is on par with his English and Japanese voice. I didn't watch a lot from the dub the know more, maybe I'll check Nicklodeon later

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:27 pm

Yalos wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm

Nice!
If we're talking about local dubs.. I don't really like the Hebrew dub of Super. It kept the name changes from Z and GT (Vegeta and Frieza are still Makita and Pariz) and the old cast returned. Goku's Hebrew voice is alright but Avi Meir is terrible as Black. Vegets and Piccolo's awful voice actors returned.
I really like Beerus' voice actor tho. He is on par with his English and Japanese voice. I didn't watch a lot from the dub the know more, maybe I'll check Nicklodeon later
Everything and every dub in Hebrew is terrible. An insult to the franchise.

I also could care less about the dub now that I've been continuously watching the Japanese version.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:57 pm

I'm the sorta in the same boat. I personally really don't care to get into the drama and I couldn't care less about how Va's are in person. I just find after watching Super (specifically Top) in Japanese that it slowly started to grow on me. When I hear Goku in my head he sounds like Nozawa, that is something I never thought I would be saying, after initially finding it difficult to listen to. I even play FighterZ with Japanese audio because I just prefer the Japanese Va's a bit more. That's not to say that the dub is bad, but my love for the Japanese Va's have grown more. To be honest, I felt the same way about the Jjba dub vs Sub, the Japanese voice just seem to fit the characters a bit better in both regards. Something about the English comes off as cheesy sounding to me, IDK.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:04 pm

Amir wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:27 pm
Yalos wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm

Nice!
Everything and every dub in Hebrew is terrible. An insult to the franchise.

I also could care less about the dub now that I've been continuously watching the Japanese version.
Dragon Ball in Hebrew is bad, but not every Hebrew dub is bad. I consider Spongebob and The Last Airbender better in Hebrew

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:23 pm

To each his own, and sorry you feel that way about the dub, because quite honestly, I think it's one of the best productions Funimation has ever put out. I think it hits a sweet spot in terms of script adaptation, in that we're no longer "making things up as we go along, in a 'brilliant scientist' sort of way", while not translating things verbatim like they do with a lot of modern dubs these days. They're having a little fun with the script, while maintaining 99% of all the story elements and nuances from the original. Also, I think Sean and the cast have never been better performance-wise, so I'm really pumped for Super's dubbed finale later this year.

Though I will agree with you that their is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to the dubbed endings. The thing is, they've been choosing fans to cover them rather than hiring vocal professionals like they did back in the day, which is a real step back there. I mean, on one end it is kind of touching that they are letting life long fans have their 15 minutes of fame and be a part of the franchise, (dont get me wrong, if Funi called me up to do a cover one day, I'd do it in a heartbeat), but considering this is supposed to be a professional product, and not a fan-based one one, I'd expect something a better than what we've been getting (it also doesn't help that mixing for them have been atrocious, I still can't understand half of what the vocalist is singing in Hello, Hello, Hello). That said, the cover of OP 2 is awesome, but again, that's because it was done by Nate Sharp, who's a professional.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:21 pm

Dub has always been unnatural, goofy and very cringe and out of place with the power ups. Kinda felt low budget...The Japanese is superior quality...You actually feel the passion in the voices there.

I was able to tolerate ocean dub up to the early part of Namek.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:31 am

I hope that whle you dont care for the dub anymore, you still care about TV Deals, Exposure and the endurance of the legacy of Dragon Ball. You are awesome mecha3000
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:36 am

I am actually in the same boat for the most part. And to be honest, I don't mean to go full weeb or anything, but the very concept of a dub seems outdated and mostly pointless nowadays. It made perfect sense back in the day when the world was not nearly as connected and there were huge barriers between cultures that prevented people from easy access to foreign properties. But in the year 2019, you can literally watch a Japanese show in your room at 1080p with official subs INSTANTLY after its done airing in Japan. And unless you are the type of person that just cannot stand reading large amounts of text, I can't understand why a dub would even be necessary at this point. The very idea seems like a relic of the past to me.

This is further compounded by the fact that the Super dub has some HORRENDOUS script changes that are legitimately embarrassing. And when Chris Sabat is fully acknowledging that the reason they do this is because almost everyone has already seen the sub, he basically unintentionally argued that his job is becoming pointless and redundant.

I still will always have a fondness for Sean Schemmel's Goku for instance, and he'll always be my favorite just on a guttural, personal level, but I've frankly moved on in my life to the point where I barely care anymore, which is strange, because not even 4 years ago I was among the crowd saying "LOL have fun with granny Goku weebs".

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:44 pm

I'm the reverse. I watched all of Super in sub but when I saw the new Broly movie I was like "holy shit this is the REAL Dragon Ball. Sounds so much better."

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:45 am

SaiyaSith wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:13 pm I'm in the same boat. I was exclusively a dub person but after watching the Japanese version of Super, I don't care for the English dub anymore. The Funimation casting and unprofessional-ism only further pushed me completely away from the dub. Not to mention their ridiculous scripts...
Ever since Yo Son Goku and His Friends Return!! I've been a "sub guy" and haven't looked back since. A drastic change from my childhood and teenage years when I thought all the Japanese voices sounded weird and silly. Now I find them the most natural. As someone who's been kind of unwittingly studying Dragon Ball like most others here, I most enjoyed the accuracy of the work's original language.

I have found the Funimation renditions of the movies to be highly entertaining and enjoy some of the "memes" they throw in there as long as it doesn't interfere with the story, but I am not interested in the dub overall. I don't need English to enjoy the show so I have no reason to wait a year and a half for dubs or rewatch in my native language, but don't mind the nostalgia for the big movie events.

The recent drama with the VA's doesn't effect my enjoyment of the dub either, the few times I did catch it at a friend's house. All I see & hear are the characters when I watch something like that. I sympathize with those that can't separate the voices. That must seriously suck.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:56 am

Artorias wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:36 am And unless you are the type of person that just cannot stand reading large amounts of text, I can't understand why a dub would even be necessary at this point. The very idea seems like a relic of the past to me.
This is literally the reason I hear the most, Artorias, so I think its likely a huge barrier for many people. One of my friends says this to me all the time. My reading speed is nothing to brag about, but I can imagine someone having trouble keeping up with the text and trying to take in all the images.
I still will always have a fondness for Sean Schemmel's Goku for instance, and he'll always be my favorite just on a guttural, personal level
Nostalgia is likely the second biggest reason for the dub's existence. I still get a burst of excitement when I hear these voices in the movie theaters. I think some people like the familiar so much and grow attached to the voices they grew up with.

And for some, they just generally enjoy the English voice cast. As long as enough people enjoy it, I guess that's reason enough. Plus, jobs yo! Times are tough these days. I hope Funimation does continue to find a fanbase for the dubs for that reason alone.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 am

You are entitled to how you feel about the Super dub, I personally have some problems with the script changes but overall its pretty good.
Artorias wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:36 am I am actually in the same boat for the most part. And to be honest, I don't mean to go full weeb or anything, but the very concept of a dub seems outdated and mostly pointless nowadays. It made perfect sense back in the day when the world was not nearly as connected and there were huge barriers between cultures that prevented people from easy access to foreign properties. But in the year 2019, you can literally watch a Japanese show in your room at 1080p with official subs INSTANTLY after its done airing in Japan. And unless you are the type of person that just cannot stand reading large amounts of text, I can't understand why a dub would even be necessary at this point. The very idea seems like a relic of the past to me.
Very, very weeb. Dubs will always have a purpose because people like to multitask while watching something, subs make that harder as your always reading, they also lower the barrier to entry for some people with disabilities. I also think its nice in general to have the option of being able to watch something in more than one language, especially if your rewatching and want to take in more than you did the first time by familiarizing yourself with two casts' work for the purpose of comparison.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:02 pm

I fucking love you Dragon Ball Ireland.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: