For those dissatisfied with Gohan in the Super anime, state your reasons here.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

For those dissatisfied with Gohan in the Super anime, state your reasons here.

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:08 am

Disclaimer: Super anime only discussion, please do not discuss the Super manga in this thread. Thank you.

So for those of you who have not enjoyed how Gohan has been portrayed in the Super anime, what are your complaints? And if you can, share how you would improve him for this show.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: For those dissatisfied with Gohan in the Super anime, state your reasons here.

Post by Desassina » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:21 am

My only complain is that the book that he was going to write by the time of Dragon Ball Online's story has never been hinted at in spite of non canon events having their own elements referenced before (Tarble for example). The people around him seem to have lost all that made his character more interesting, such as Videl wanting to know more about fighting and their world, which forced Gohan to sit down and explain Ki to her. It made those high school episodes feel like nothing.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: For those dissatisfied with Gohan in the Super anime, state your reasons here.

Post by Kanassa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:29 am

He didn't show up to the tournament of power as the Great Saiyaman. That was the most disappointing thing in Super for me, it would be good for Gohan, good to see the contrasts and interactions with the Fireballs and Pride Troopers AND YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GREAT SAIYAMAN!

Plus, it's a look unique to him and stops him from just being 'Goku's Son'
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:37 am

Kanassa wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:29 am He didn't show up to the tournament of power as the Great Saiyaman. That was the most disappointing thing in Super for me, it would be good for Gohan, good to see the contrasts and interactions with the Fireballs and Pride Troopers AND YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GREAT SAIYAMAN!

I agree, but I think that this is more of a nitpick sort of thing.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:50 pm

he didn't get a new form and he didn't train hard enough. His mystik hair style was drawn incorrectly as well and his ssj and ssj2 hair were drawn incorrect as well.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Only that he didn't participate in the Trunks arc due to nonsensical writing.

He doesn't need a new transformation, else it wouldn't be his "Ultimate" form.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Kokonoe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:08 am Disclaimer: Super anime only discussion, please do not discuss the Super manga in this thread. Thank you.
This is one of the cases in which it is not necessary to separate them

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:17 pm

1.) He gets over his arrogance flaw in a snap because Piccolo gave him a pep talk, Goku still has issues with keeping his guard up and Vegeta with overtraining/being tense despite Whis training them for months-years but Gohan gets over his flaw just like that.

2.) His powerup. Piccolo flat out stated that Gohan was "soft" "out of shape" , "needed to be rounded into shape" and that "while gohan had been buried in books , he had been training" at the start of episode 88, yet 2 episode later (a day later in universe) gohan "shows power that rivals ssb goku"

Basically the same issue as Gohan post Cell, nothing is ever earned for him, its handed out on a silver platter to make him relevant

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:23 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:17 pm 1.) He gets over his arrogance flaw in a snap because Piccolo gave him a pep talk, Goku still has issues with keeping his guard up and Vegeta with overtraining/being tense despite Whis training them for months-years but Gohan gets over his flaw just like that.

2.) His powerup. Piccolo flat out stated that Gohan was "soft" "out of shape" , "needed to be rounded into shape" and that "while gohan had been buried in books , he had been training" at the start of episode 88, yet 2 episode later (a day later in universe) gohan "shows power that rivals ssb goku"

Basically the same issue as Gohan post Cell, nothing is ever earned for him, its handed out on a silver platter to make him relevant
Yeah I really do not care for this. Android 17 has a similar (albeit far worse problem) in this regard but powerscaling is a general issue of Super in general.

I do, however, think what you said has merit in the fact that they seem to want to push Gohan to be this "fighter" despite the fact they keep writing him as retired essentially. They should really just take him off the bench if I were to be honest. I say this as a Gohan fan that I'm kinda tired of him showing up for reasons that aren't solid enough.
Kanassa wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:29 am He didn't show up to the tournament of power as the Great Saiyaman. That was the most disappointing thing in Super for me, it would be good for Gohan, good to see the contrasts and interactions with the Fireballs and Pride Troopers AND YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GREAT SAIYAMAN!

This is a fair point. I think Saiyaman would help separate him from the other characters at this point. Right now he's rather bland.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:47 pm

really gohan is currently a secondary character so really the super version does not change much.

it really feels good his return and participation in the TOP arc
Goku defeats jiren
vegeta defeat toppo
gohan defeats dyspo
They beat the 3 strongest in the universe 11, I think it's a good achievement.

the problem with gohan is really at the beginning
he should protagonist in BofG had to be the strongest at the time, so gohan must have been the one who he fights beerus more time.

gohan also had to have a central role defending the land of the army of frieza and face at tyrant until goku arrived.

outside of that .... it is not necessary to include gohan in universe 6 arc and zamasu arc, simply because gohan doesnt wanted to face new warriors and the other was not going to be able to do anything.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:47 pm really gohan is currently a secondary character so really the super version does not change much.

Goku defeats jiren
vegeta defeat toppo
gohan defeats dyspo

he should protagonist in BofG had to be the strongest at the time, so gohan must have been the one who he fights beerus more time.

gohan also had to have a central role defending the land of the army of frieza and face at tyrant until goku arrived.

outside of that .... it is not necessary to include gohan in universe 6 arc and zamasu arc, simply because gohan doesnt wanted to face new warriors and the other was not going to be able to do anything.
To me Dypso was already old news at this point in terms of showings. He had already been getting bopped a few times in the arc so Gohan taking him out didn't mean much, especially since he had to sacrifice himself + use Frieza.

The fight itself wasn't really entertaining either. I wish with all the hype Gohan got as this ultimate tactical planner he would've been there with Goku near the end but 17 really took the "tactical" role from him.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:07 pm

Kokonoe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:04 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:47 pm really gohan is currently a secondary character so really the super version does not change much.

Goku defeats jiren
vegeta defeat toppo
gohan defeats dyspo

To me Dypso was already old news at this point in terms of showings. He had already been getting bopped a few times in the arc so Gohan taking him out didn't mean much, especially since he had to sacrifice himself + use Frieza.

The fight itself wasn't really entertaining either. I wish with all the hype Gohan got as this ultimate tactical planner he would've been there with Goku near the end but 17 really took the "tactical" role from him.
People really be sleeping on Dyspo. He almost eliminated Hit before Goku stepped in.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 pm

I'm really disappointed that Gohan fought in Dragon Ball Super. Gohan's a boring character unless the plot is specifically structured around non-fighting events. I wish he had just stayed retired.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 pm I'm really disappointed that Gohan fought in Dragon Ball Super. Gohan's a boring character unless the plot is specifically structured around non-fighting events. I wish he had just stayed retired.
I mean, it's a fighting series. It'd be stupid if he wasn't fighting when able.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Kagari wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 pm I'm really disappointed that Gohan fought in Dragon Ball Super. Gohan's a boring character unless the plot is specifically structured around non-fighting events. I wish he had just stayed retired.
Not really. He doesn't fight for fun and he would literally be showing up to fight for no real narrative or authorial reason.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 pm

Kagari wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:07 pm

Goku defeats jiren
vegeta defeat toppo
gohan defeats dyspo

People really be sleeping on Dyspo. He almost eliminated Hit before Goku stepped in.
Nah I don't sleep on him. I def get he has some cool feats but his showings for a bit there went like Good > Okay > Great. And he was there so long getting bopped at times it was no longer special when Gohan fought him. I guess the fight being really awful didn't help either. I wish that was done better to be honest, even if Gohan did have to sacrifice himself I wanted a more entertaining fight. Gohan was unlucky to get a really budgeted episode for this fight.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:53 pm

Goku defeats jiren
vegeta defeat toppo
gohan defeats dyspo

dyspo is god level as well as having the power and ability to face goku, golden frieza and hit.
gohan also .. in a sense was old news at this point .. and the hype that had been created with "him" really was not enough to justify it being stronger than an SSB this is not the fic of gohan blanco.
It does not make sense that Gohan can fight with Jiren, Kefla or Toppo.
the fight against dyspo was great because it showed how the teamwork strategy managed to defeat the "superspeed" of dyspo in an interesting way. although if I could give you reason in some cases that gohan should have the strategic role that had 17 against anilaza and god toppo.
but finally god toppo, jiren and kefla should be able to overcome it.
however maybe he could have a fight short against hit

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:21 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:15 pm
Kagari wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 pm
Not really. He doesn't fight for fun and he would literally be showing up to fight for no real narrative or authorial reason.
He does enjoy fighting for fun though. Even Super got this right in the exhibition. He just doesn't like killing/fighting to the death but he will stand up and fight to protect others - that's his motivation. And the plot is generally always structured around those serious-type of fighting events so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Kokonoe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 pm Nah I don't sleep on him. I def get he has some cool feats but his showings for a bit there went like Good > Okay > Great. And he was there so long getting bopped at times it was no longer special when Gohan fought him. I guess the fight being really awful didn't help either. I wish that was done better to be honest, even if Gohan did have to sacrifice himself I wanted a more entertaining fight. Gohan was unlucky to get a really budgeted episode for this fight.
That's a symptom of Super's production as a whole - which seemingly tanked hard during the last part of the ToP for whatever reason.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:35 am

Desassina wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:21 amMy only complain is that the book that he was going to write by the time of Dragon Ball Online's story has never been hinted at in spite of non canon events having their own elements referenced before (Tarble for example).
Gohan decided to write the book in AGE 804, influenced by Goku's death. Of course, they can change and put stuff a little bit sooner or later than what was established (like Tenshinhan's dojo and Mister Satan as an actor), but if there has not been any hint yet, there is still time until AGE 804 nonetheless. As for Tarble, he is mentioned twice in works that had the complete involvement of Toriyama. Despite the lack of a canon, he exists in Toriyama's continuity, which I'm pretty sure that should count for something.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:57 am

That's not what I said about Tarble. He showed up in a non canon product, but was referenced in two others that are, so the book that Gohan wrote in another could be a reference too.