When Will We Ever Get Out of the Boo Fight - End of Z Rift?!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: When Will We Ever Get Out of the Boo Fight - End of Z Rift?!

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:39 am

The fact that Uub has been mentioned in the Universal Survival Arc in both the anime and the manga and the focus Buu has been getting lately in the manga with flashbacks of the fight between Goku and Kid Buu makes me hopeful that we are indeed going to finally get a true sequel to the manga set after its ending.

Whether or not this is going to change Super’s name is not something I care about. Surely the fact they are still pushing the Dragon Ball Z brand with the new game coming out in 2020 and how Broly’s Blu-Ray mentioned that some producer was willing to release the latest movie under the DBZ brand may mean they could bring it back to so that Super can stay as the “midquel” serie and the Z can keep its significance (Toriyama wanted it to be Z because there was nothing after it).
I also think that releasing the manga under the Z brand may actually increase its sales.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:22 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:39 am The fact that Uub has been mentioned in the Universal Survival Arc in both the anime and the manga and the focus Buu has been getting lately in the manga with flashbacks of the fight between Goku and Kid Buu makes me hopeful that we are indeed going to finally get a true sequel to the manga set after its ending.

Whether or not this is going to change Super’s name is not something I care about. Surely the fact they are still pushing the Dragon Ball Z brand with the new game coming out in 2020 and how Broly’s Blu-Ray mentioned that some producer was willing to release the latest movie under the DBZ brand may mean they could bring it back to so that Super can stay as the “midquel” serie and the Z can keep its significance (Toriyama wanted it to be Z because there was nothing after it).
I also think that releasing the manga under the Z brand may actually increase its sales.
First off, I’m pretty sure they didn’t say the next DB movie would be under the DBZ name. Not to mention it wouldn’t really make sense to do that.

Second off, I dont think they should call a sequel series to the DB manga, DBZ. DBZ is the sequel series to DB but both the DB and DBZ anime fall under the DB manga. So it doesn’t really make sense to call the sequel to the DB manga that covers the DB and DBZ anime, DB.

They’d probably either keep the DBS name or give it a new title like DB Ultra or something.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:34 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:22 pm
emperior wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:39 am The fact that Uub has been mentioned in the Universal Survival Arc in both the anime and the manga and the focus Buu has been getting lately in the manga with flashbacks of the fight between Goku and Kid Buu makes me hopeful that we are indeed going to finally get a true sequel to the manga set after its ending.

First off, I’m pretty sure they didn’t say the next DB movie would be under the DBZ name. Not to mention it wouldn’t really make sense to do that.

Second off, I dont think they should call a sequel series to the DB manga, DBZ. DBZ is the sequel series to DB but both the DB and DBZ anime fall under the DB manga. So it doesn’t really make sense to call the sequel to the DB manga that covers the DB and DBZ anime, DB.

They’d probably either keep the DBS name or give it a new title like DB Ultra or something.
You misinterpreted what I wrote. No problem, but I meant that originally they talked about using the Z brand for Broly’s movie. That much was confirmed in the interview inside the Japanese Blu-Ray.

I also guess they will keep the Super brand but I wouldn’t mind it if we went back to Z or something else so that Super can stay the midquel show.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:40 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:34 pm
AnimeNation101 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:22 pm

You misinterpreted what I wrote. No problem, but I meant that originally they talked about using the Z brand for Broly’s movie. That much was confirmed in the interview inside the Japanese Blu-Ray.

I also guess they will keep the Super brand but I wouldn’t mind it if we went back to Z or something else so that Super can stay the midquel show.
Oh, lol. Maybe something like DBZ: The Next Chapter would work as a series taking place Super. That way, there is no confusing between this DBZ manga and the DBZ anime. Both an anime and a manga would be called DBZ: The Next Chapter.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:33 pm

The end of Z is such a great finale I’m glad Super is keeping it as the series finale.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:33 pm The end of Z is such a great finale I’m glad Super is keeping it as the series finale.
I’m fine with Goku flying off with Oob serving as the finale of the series, but if Dragon Ball is going to be the kind of series that goes on indefinitely, I’d rather they actually move the story forward. Cramming everything within the 10 year time gap has the consequence of making everything feel rigid and stagnant. It just comes across as an attempt at maintaining a certain status quo, which is something that Dragon Ball never really had prior to Super. The fact that Goten and Trunks barely look any older than they did in the Boo arc, despite being in their teens at this point, strikes me as a clear indication that they’re trying to keep things as familiar as possible.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:58 pm

It's funny because there's another sizeable window in the 7 year gap between Cell and Buu that they could use but refuse not to. I wonder why? Granted, the depths of power were more firmly established between points A and B then, plus there wouldn't be Goten and Trunks to use, but they still could have done something with that era.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Lionel wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:58 pm It's funny because there's another sizeable window in the 7 year gap between Cell and Buu that they could use but refuse not to. I wonder why? Granted, the depths of power were more firmly established between points A and B then, plus there wouldn't be Goten and Trunks to use, but they still could have done something with that era.
I thought the same until I remember the strongest characters that time frame has to work with are Gohan, Vegeta, and Piccolo in a ways off third, and the first and strongest of which would be in the process of dropping out of martial arts without a Goku or an enemy to compel him. You could work around that with weaker enemies or fiddling with how Gohan's decline happens, but the biggest changes in that time frame are in character-related places that the series has never focused on and are often too simple to need much elaboration.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:07 am

Lionel wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:58 pm It's funny because there's another sizeable window in the 7 year gap between Cell and Buu that they could use but refuse not to. I wonder why? Granted, the depths of power were more firmly established between points A and B then, plus there wouldn't be Goten and Trunks to use, but they still could have done something with that era.
I doubt this would work, those years were years of peace and aside from adding some sort of filler story to show more of Goku’a otherworld training, Vegeta regaining motivation to train and Gohan’s slice of life stuff it’s not a very interesting period to explore.
It’s funny though that if EoZ had more to it Super would have probably never been a midquel show.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:41 am

Frankly, I find most of those aforementioned story concepts to be more engaging as a viewer than the ever escalating duopoly that's systematised Dragon Ball outside of the guest appearances and tournament arc concessions. Don't forget that the relationship between #18 and Krillin could be elaborated on prior to their marriage. Also, they could maybe go into more detail as to how Gohan only lost a moderate sum of power between the Cell and Buu arc in comparison to his plunge during the RoF arc.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 am

Lionel wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:41 am Frankly, I find most of those aforementioned story concepts to be more engaging as a viewer than the ever escalating duopoly that's systematised Dragon Ball outside of the guest appearances and tournament arc concessions. Don't forget that the relationship between #18 and Krillin could be elaborated on prior to their marriage. Also, they could maybe go into more detail as to how Gohan only lost a moderate sum of power between the Cell and Buu arc in comparison to his plunge during the RoF arc.
Wasn’t that because he spent two weeks training before the tournament back during Buu arc? Dragon Ball goes by real life rules where it’s easier for someone who was once at a certain level to reach that level back much faster due to muscle memory - and it seems like it’s even faster for Saiyans.
In Super it has taken Gohan little training to get back to his former power level (and even surpass it) so I suppose the same thing happened during Buu arc.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”