Best Ways to Enjoy DBS (from a 20 year DB fan who nearly left the show)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Best Ways to Enjoy DBS (from a 20 year DB fan who nearly left the show)

Post by BWri » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:27 am

Just a few tips that may help you get more enjoyment out of Dragon Ball Super. Recommended from my own personal experience.

General Stuff
#1. Lower Your Expectations.
#2. Turn Your Brain Off. This sounds negative, but I basically just mean you can't overthink things and you can't let your speculation run rampant.
#3. Don't take the show too seriously. Toriyama never intended you to do that. He's also a capricious and forgetful creator that doesn't take his work at all seriously.
#4. Don't get too invested in side-characters. The series has always been inconsistent with them and some (like Vegeta) are permanantly damned to their roles.
#5. Engage with the fandom, but do it in ways that are enjoyable to you. There's a lot to engage with here at Kanzenshuu.com and on these forums
#6. Enjoy the hype culture on social media.
#7. Take a trip through DB memory lane, revisit the moments that Super often calls-back to.
#8. Recognize what the show is now and try to learn why so much has changed. For instance, the lack of blood in the series is due to a change in the timeslot and a new era of TV censorship laws.
#9. Know that it is okay to criticize Super. Nothing is above criticism. Its also okay to unironically love Super. I tend to like Super for meta reasons, so ironically I guess, but also pure hype.
#10. It is okay to have conflicting opinions about Super. I personally think the Trunks/Zamasu/Black arc is both one of the best and worst arcs in the entire series.
#11. If you're a creator, use the production and storytelling of DBS and any weaknesses or strengths of the anime, manga, or movies to help you improve your own art/writing. I've been planning a shonen-esque series for a while now and DBS has taught me a lot (dos & donts).
#12. Make it yours. Use your love of Dragon Ball and your own creativity to draw, blog/vlog about, discuss, make games, make crafts, make music. If you don't like an arc, make a fanfiction to improve it. Hindsight is on your side and share your story with others.
#13. Read new chapters of the manga for free and gain access to the whole series for cheap over at Viz.com/shonenjump (I swear I don't work for them, but have recently discovered the joys of their Weekly Shonen Jump online subscription.)

Power Scaling
#1. Forget about any specific numerical multipliers that the various Super Saiyan forms were said to represent. As long as you have these values in mind, you will frustrate yourself trying to power scale the show. Many people here do it for sport and I admit that it is amusing watching and even sometimes participating in the act of making something sensible from the senseless, but I don't think the show even bothers with the same numbers shown in the Daizenshuu and its for the best honestly.

#2. Don't put god ki and god forms on a pedestal. As long as you avoid this, the scaling won't bother you as much. God ki is just another type of ki that mortals don't typically have. It doesn't indicate how strong someone is. Shin (Supreme Kai) has it for goodness sakes, probably King Kai too and he's weaker than Nappa.

#3. Super is operating on a different set of rules than DB or DBZ. Characters that are unprepared ("off-guard") can be killed or injured by slightly augmented conventional means while Kid Goku in DB could tank bullets to the face even without ki. The power scale has likely been shrank down to allow weaker fighters ways to trouble stronger fighters. Honestly, its a change for the better and the anime has more or less been consistent with it.

DBZ: Roshi (Saiyan arc) = 1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Perfect Cell (Cell Games) = 1,000,000,000
DBS: Roshi (Saiyan arc) = 1 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Perfect Cell (Cell Games) = 1,000

1 damage from Roshi to Perfect Cell in DBS hits harder than 1 damage from Roshi to Perfect Cell in DBZ. It's still a theory of mine at this point, but I've witnessed this enough in Super that I'm convinced.

My Relationship With DBS
You may see me on the forums here, more often than not criticizing Super, but just know that I am enjoying the franchise in my own way just as I know many of you are as well. I didn't feel like the first 3 arcs of the show presented anything of value and so I decided to give it up completely and I nearly did. I skipped half an arc (FnF), was disappointed by the Tournament of Destroyers, skipped the Pontefeu mini-arc, and that was it for me, but Super promised a big improvement and the return of a fan favorite character and so I returned for the Future Trunks arc, but luckily my expectations had lowered in the interim and so I could enjoy the improvements to the visuals and storytelling quality while recognizing and pointing out the continued faults of the series. Lowering those expectations made all the difference between watching and being upset with the quality of the writing and wondering why I was even bothering to watch DBS vs. watching with a calm critical eye and accepting the faults while enjoying what was presented on a base level. I do love Dragon Ball after all, hating it is the antithesis of what I want to feel.

Dragon Ball could have matured with its aging fan base, but it didn't, instead turning the age dial lower than before to attract younger fans. I'm just saying it'll help your sanity to accept that and enjoy the series for what it is, and more importantly, in your own way. One of my ways to enjoy is this running gag I have with one of my friends where I update him on Super's plot and as I'm explaining it gets so ridiculous that I have to stop because we're both dying from laughter. The best time was explaining to him the end of the Future Trunks plot in the Super anime.

Just imagine:
If you have any more suggestions on how to enjoy DBS, please offer them. I'm curious to see how many of you enjoy DBS, especially those who aren't the biggest fans of the series.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Best Ways to Enjoy DBS (from a 20 year DB fan who nearly left the show)

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 am

BWri wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:27 am #1. Lower Your Expectations.
#2. Turn Your Brain Off.
#3. Don't take the show too seriously.
#4. Don't get too invested in side-characters.
#5. Engage with the fandom, but do it in ways that are enjoyable to you.
This has been been my attitude towards Dragon Ball in general for years now.

I'm way ahead of the curve. :P

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:47 pm

I don't find any of this to be necessary, I just watch/read it the way I would any other Dragon Ball material. But whatever works for you, man.

Frankly at this point I find it completely hilarious how immensely exaggerated the power scaling issues are, it's just insanity. It's really not much worse if any worse than Z-era DB.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:06 pm

Yeah, if you care about power scaling you are going to get mad.
But to be fair, the whole thing about putting a number to power has always been "do not trust the numbers, a battle goes far beyond that."
If you had that mindset, the whole series as a whole feels a bit more enjoyable.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:41 am

I don't really watch DB for plot anymore at this point. The latest film, while visually spectacular, was just a fighting fiesta. No significant development to the plot, except maybe Goku calling himself Kakarot.

Watching DBS just for the battles is the way to go for me. I still have hope that the Saiyan girls will finally come back, learn SSB, and kick some real ass again.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:52 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 am
#2. Turn Your Brain Off.

You are. It took me most of those 20 years lol. I still had hope for the side characters even as far as the ToP. And they did okay there overall, but that's the peak for most of them.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:09 am

PFM18 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:47 pm I don't find any of this to be necessary, I just watch/read it the way I would any other Dragon Ball material. But whatever works for you, man.
That's definitely fair. It took me a long while to actually enjoy Super for what it is. So I'm hoping this connects with those who still have a hard time with the show like I used to.
Frankly at this point I find it completely hilarious how immensely exaggerated the power scaling issues are, it's just insanity. It's really not much worse if any worse than Z-era DB.
It's like that on steroids as I see it. Z did have some issues, but DBS doesn't even blink anymore when it comes to absurd jumps, and the anime is the most inconsistent power scaling of any show that blatantly focuses on power scaling. I don't really remember Z being inconsistent, except small instances of filler (Pikkon/Goku/Cell). The only thing that beats it in inconsistency is Dragon Ball Heroes at this point.
Akamay wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:06 pm Yeah, if you care about power scaling you are going to get mad.
But to be fair, the whole thing about putting a number to power has always been "do not trust the numbers, a battle goes far beyond that."
If you had that mindset, the whole series as a whole feels a bit more enjoyable.
It took me a while to internalize that. To be fair, the series had been focused on the numbers for a while, with even the guides hyping that sort of stuff up. It is one of the more fascinating aspects of the series.
Rakurai wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:41 am I don't really watch DB for plot anymore at this point. The latest film, while visually spectacular, was just a fighting fiesta. No significant development to the plot, except maybe Goku calling himself Kakarot.
To be honest, I didn't enjoy the fighting that much either. There were lots of colorful explosions, but that's about all I got out of it. That would have been okay if there was more emotion to it, but there wasn't really a connection/chemistry between the three leads IMO.
Watching DBS just for the battles is the way to go for me.
I nearly share that point, but I still do enjoy the character focused stuff. The plots themselves are a bit too simplistic, straightforward for me but I'm all in for awesome or funny character moments.
I still have hope that the Saiyan girls will finally come back, learn SSB, and kick some real ass again.
Between the manga and anime, I've grown to like these characters more. Couldn't stand them at first, but I think they're cool. Hopefully they get some good development, maybe a mini-arc.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:22 am

Point #3 of power scaling is something I've tried to argue for a while about Super. For the most part the way characters stack up to each other is fairly consistent (it's not that hard to rank Universe 7's team in order of strength for example), it's just the "gaps" have shrunk and the importance of being guarded as been more heavily emphasised since Resurrection F.

It's something I honestly prefer. I've never been into "power-scaling", I think it's overrated and I think the franchise's tendency to use it as a crutch to write off certain characters (eg don't bother trying to fight Piccolo, you're nowhere near *strong* enough to hurt Freeza/Cell/Buu) is tiresome. While that's definitely present in Super, it isn't as egregious and allows for characters like Trunks, Gohan or 17 to take the forefront from time to time, even though the focus is primarily on Goku and Vegeta.

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:45 am

Dragon Ball has always been this way, it never had a genius written story, it's a series that comes from a writer that is originally a gag manga writer, and his work afterwards has always had his trademark gag manga style comedy. The only difference between Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Super is that Super has embraced its ridiculousness and randomness that the series always has had. Toriyama doesn't really have any intention to make the series "grow up" and I doubt he ever did because he seemed to want to quit as far back as the King Piccolo saga. Where his genius comes from is his ability to put together random ideas into something cohesive, which is very different to the attention other manga writers or writers in general work.

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:27 am

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:22 am Point #3 of power scaling is something I've tried to argue for a while about Super. For the most part the way characters stack up to each other is fairly consistent (it's not that hard to rank Universe 7's team in order of strength for example), it's just the "gaps" have shrunk and the importance of being guarded as been more heavily emphasised since Resurrection F.
It's one of the best aspects of Super I think and it makes it a lot more entertaining.
It's something I honestly prefer. I've never been into "power-scaling", I think it's overrated and I think the franchise's tendency to use it as a crutch to write off certain characters (eg don't bother trying to fight Piccolo, you're nowhere near *strong* enough to hurt Freeza/Cell/Buu) is tiresome. While that's definitely present in Super, it isn't as egregious and allows for characters like Trunks, Gohan or 17 to take the forefront from time to time, even though the focus is primarily on Goku and Vegeta.
I couldn't agree more. I think I turned a leaf on this when Trunks was fighting side by side with SSB Goku against Zamasu and Black. I felt I should've been upset at such horrendous power scaling, but the action was so good and finally having a non-Goku or Vegeta person doing cool stuff in the series just had to be appreciated, so I couldn't help but want more and Trunks provided it throughout the arc. Rule of cool I guess :lol: . But it just showed me that fancy hair colors and the strength that comes with them shouldn't be put on such a pedestal, especially if its used to sacrifice cool moments from side characters.

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:49 am

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:45 am Dragon Ball has always been this way, it never had a genius written story, it's a series that comes from a writer that is originally a gag manga writer, and his work afterwards has always had his trademark gag manga style comedy. The only difference between Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Super is that Super has embraced its ridiculousness and randomness that the series always has had.

It's not necessarily that it has embraced its randomness, its more along the lines that Toriyama-san doesn't have any restrictions (no editors like the olden days) so he can make what he wants and do it how he wants. To a degree, the story does suffer from this with some of its overall structure and consistency. FnF was essentially one big fight over the course of what, less than an hour. I think an editor would have told him, "What, is that it?" like with the Android saga and had him extend the movie/arc into something more meaningful, but that's my two cents. I just now appreciate what the editors brought to the table.
Where his genius comes from is his ability to put together random ideas into something cohesive, which is very different to the attention other manga writers or writers in general work.
Yes, Toriyama-san is certainly a genius, no questions about it. He's a different sort of genius than many other authors. While I think his pure writing skills generally aren't the best, the fact that he can string together such exciting moments and characters with exceptionally dynamic and eye-catching art and could do so on a weekly basis while keeping the story interesting for over a decade is a testament to his unique talent. But ... I also appreciate the cohesion and great ideas likely offered by his editors, whom he seemed to resent. I think the way they reigned in his eccentricity and guided him, helped make Dragon Ball something very special back when I was growing up, something I connected to on so many levels.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Honestly, I view Super as I view several of the video games that have come out: It's more Dragonball. It's not always going to make sense (*glares at ending of Future Trunks Arc*) and some things will be disappointing (*glares at Gohan*) but I thoroughly enjoyed Super and I hope the series continues for a long time and we get new stories, new characters, and new battles. For all the bad, for all the U4 Bugs and Potafeu Arcs, we got Goku and Frieza teaming up, Female Super Saiyans in the main story, and new forms that are all good fun.

I give Dragonball a lot of benefits of the doubt. I love the series. It's not the best series. But it's my favorite. Even when it's at it's worse, I find something to love about it.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:07 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:28 pm Honestly, I view Super as I view several of the video games that have come out: It's more Dragonball. It's not always going to make sense (*glares at ending of Future Trunks Arc*) and some things will be disappointing (*glares at Gohan*) but I thoroughly enjoyed Super and I hope the series continues for a long time and we get new stories, new characters, and new battles. For all the bad, for all the U4 Bugs and Potafeu Arcs, we got Goku and Frieza teaming up, Female Super Saiyans in the main story, and new forms that are all good fun.

I give Dragonball a lot of benefits of the doubt. I love the series. It's not the best series. But it's my favorite. Even when it's at it's worse, I find something to love about it.
Amen, my friend! That is what I've learned and am continually learning to do. Dragon Ball itself is amazing. Even if I don't like a current series, I can always retreat into video games, old arcs, fan works, side stories. And yes, in Super those great moments are honestly what keeps me around. It's like a tease or a dance or better yet, a tightrope. Super teased for a long long time (inclusion of the humans, Gohan, Piccolo and Buu), but continued to drop the ball almost to the point of losing me but then it gave me Trunks and a compelling arc/villain. After that it was on the positive side of the tightrope balance, giving me just enough great moments to drown out the bad. Enough to keep me watching anyway.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:32 pm

Nicely Done BWri as Always! :thumbup:

These ways of taking in DB where a Joy and honestly very informative in how it connected with my own experiences in my recently journey in getting into Super and what I had to learn about how it function, how it is written and presented. It also feels very connective towards how I have learned to Enjoy Comic Books, aka similar ways at looking at Comics and how to enjoy them that I have learned over the Years.

The Power Scaling is one of the best parts, espically the tone-down part. It allows for the recent surge in past characters in DB like Roshi and Krillin to make more sense which is a great justice for their characters. It leads them in having a more important power present and now making more sense being that the gap is still their but not as overwhelming as it once seemed and that is a good thing. It gets tiring and old if the power-scaling is so huge that is hard for characters not on those levels to have an impact that they should be able to have, it brings things to a more reasonable level and Most Important; It leaves far more room for all characters to grow knowing that their levels already are not over the top and have higher levels to achieve.

It also makes them less overwhelming in comparing them to other Fictional Power Characters, which is a good thing IMO, so I like you Power Scaling View! :thumbup:

If It is Ok BWri, I like to subscribe just right now 1 of My Own Views/Ideals in How to better Enjoy DB, I hope you enjoy it, if so I might add others later, let me know either Way. :)

1.) Any Fan can Enjoy Characters and Concepts that Other Fans might not be found of and that is Fine!

This goes back to My Comic Book Fandoms allot, but it seems just a relevant in Super today espically with the Surge of New Characters in the Recent ToP arc.

Their are so many characters in the Franchise now that not all will work with all fans and that makes sense, not all will fit will all cause of likings, wants, desires in the story, etc.

But for other Fans those Characters and Concepts to them will Become some of their Most Favorites for equally the same reasons plus more and that should be the Right of Any Fan to Like any characters they choose to Like and become a fan of!

To much at times on social media is made-up of why fans like certain characters or even putting down fans who like certain characters and concepts and honestly that should not be the case. Fans are generally going to have different tastes and wants in characters and fans will enjoy the series more when one realizes that will always be a constant not matter what. Fan likings are never streamline, variety the norm a fandom.

Fans will enjoy the show more when we realize most fans each have different tastes and that each characters has their own section of Fans and Fandoms. :angel:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:04 pm

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:45 am Dragon Ball has always been this way, it never had a genius written story, it's a series that comes from a writer that is originally a gag manga writer, and his work afterwards has always had his trademark gag manga style comedy. The only difference between Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Super is that Super has embraced its ridiculousness and randomness that the series always has had. Toriyama doesn't really have any intention to make the series "grow up" and I doubt he ever did because he seemed to want to quit as far back as the King Piccolo saga. Where his genius comes from is his ability to put together random ideas into something cohesive, which is very different to the attention other manga writers or writers in general work.
True. In fact, I'd say the only sagas of the franchise that have objectively good storytelling all-around are from the 22nd TB all the way to the end of Namek.

The appeal of Dragonball has always mainly been its characters and fights.

Toriyama's reputation in Japan doesn't come from his storytelling/writing (which generally isn't good), its from his technical skills as a mangaka. And much of the best things in the franchise didn't come from him, but from his editors like Torishima & from Toei.

And by the way, the alleged power-scaling issues in Super are mostly exaggerated and stems from people ignoring context & being in denial of certain character's power levels.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:56 pm

#2. Turn Your Brain Off.

Number 4 hurts me. You introduce a multiverse of side characters just for me to not be too invested in them because chances are they aren’t going to be used right or at all anyways.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:30 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:56 pm
#2. Turn Your Brain Off.

Number 4 hurts me. You introduce a multiverse of side characters just for me to not be too invested in them because chances are they aren’t going to be used right or at all anyways.
And the anime made me like quite a few of those side characters. Katopesla, Toppo, Pirina, Saonel, Trio De Dangers, Kamikaze Fireballs, Vikal, Ganos, Obuni, Male Fireballs, Cabba, Kale, Caulifla, Hit, Dyspo, Frost, Dr. Rota, and even Jiren. I'm sure there are even more I can't think of off the top of my head. I hope they do something good with at least some of these, and of course our U7 favorites.

Although the manga cemented the fact that they are all jobbers. At least the anime gave the illusion that they are kinda cool.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:54 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:32 pm Nicely Done BWri as Always! :thumbup:

These ways of taking in DB where a Joy and honestly very informative in how it connected with my own experiences in my recently journey in getting into Super and what I had to learn about how it function, how it is written and presented. It also feels very connective towards how I have learned to Enjoy Comic Books, aka similar ways at looking at Comics and how to enjoy them that I have learned over the Years.
Thank you very much! And that is a cool and unique way to look at it. It is kinda like a comic run, where a new writer takes over after a while. While Toriyama-san is providing a basic outline, notes, or scripts, he's basically much more hands off, so the writing duties fall to Toyotaro and the anime writing staff for the most part. The anime has quite literally a revolving door of writers, so the comic book reference is super apt here.
The Power Scaling is one of the best parts, espically the tone-down part. It allows for the recent surge in past characters in DB like Roshi and Krillin to make more sense which is a great justice for their characters. It leads them in having a more important power present and now making more sense being that the gap is still their but not as overwhelming as it once seemed and that is a good thing. It gets tiring and old if the power-scaling is so huge that is hard for characters not on those levels to have an impact that they should be able to have, it brings things to a more reasonable level and Most Important; It leaves far more room for all characters to grow knowing that their levels already are not over the top and have higher levels to achieve.
At first, I didn't like this because it wasn't a logical step from the previous series, but I have grown to like it, even if its not entirely logical. I do think it makes for a more entertaining show/read.
It also makes them less overwhelming in comparing them to other Fictional Power Characters, which is a good thing IMO, so I like you Power Scaling View! :thumbup:
Thanks! Yeah, I hope it makes things a bit easier to understand since there are so many power jumps now. I know this gives so many people confusion.
If It is Ok BWri, I like to subscribe just right now 1 of My Own Views/Ideals in How to better Enjoy DB, I hope you enjoy it, if so I might add others later, let me know either Way. :)
That's perfect. I really want people to consider what aspects of Super makes them happy and I love to read about this.
1.) Any Fan can Enjoy Characters and Concepts that Other Fans might not be found of and that is Fine!

This goes back to My Comic Book Fandoms allot, but it seems just a relevant in Super today espically with the Surge of New Characters in the Recent ToP arc.
100% I will never try to shame someone for liking a character. It's funny, because even characters I don't enjoy, I eventually end up liking. While not my favorites, I no longer hate Jiren, Kale, or Caulifla. I'm neutral to Jiren, and mostly thanks to the manga, I like Kale and Caulifla. The last couple of fights with Goku in the anime helped too (good power scaling FTW).
Their are so many characters in the Franchise now that not all will work with all fans and that makes sense, not all will fit will all cause of likings, wants, desires in the story, etc.

But for other Fans those Characters and Concepts to them will Become some of their Most Favorites for equally the same reasons plus more and that should be the Right of Any Fan to Like any characters they choose to Like and become a fan of!
Definitely. I think its okay to criticize or show love for any character you like.
To much at times on social media is made-up of why fans like certain characters or even putting down fans who like certain characters and concepts and honestly that should not be the case. Fans are generally going to have different tastes and wants in characters and fans will enjoy the series more when one realizes that will always be a constant not matter what. Fan likings are never streamline, variety the norm a fandom.

Fans will enjoy the show more when we realize most fans each have different tastes and that each characters has their own section of Fans and Fandoms. :angel:
Well said! There's no reason to take it that far. It's okay to dislike a character, but I don't think anyone should be made fun of for being a fan of a certain character. Like you say, we all have different tastes and even those change over time. At one point, I couldn't stand Gotenks or Goten & Kid Trunks, but now I feel like the show needs more of them, and would like to see them develop further. I hope as the series expands, that we can all come to terms with accept the diversity of opinion and tastes here in the fandom.

I think the coolest thing is seeing what each person individually takes from DB.