What's canon?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

What's canon?

Post by SSJmole » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:44 pm

Sorry if this has been asked but what is canon for the events in super? I heard some say anime is the canon story unlike the previous stuff , others say manga is

Example beerus arc. We have

Manga
Anime
Battle if god's movie.

They all have differences from locations to lines to events ect.... Or is it a mix?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What's canon?

Post by Grimlock » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 pm

You seem more to be wanting to know which continuity to follow instead of an actual canon (which this franchise does not have). No word on which continuity to follow has been made so far. There is the anime made by Toei, the manga made by Toyotaro and the movies made by Toriyama. You are free to choose one of these.

You can mix Toriyama's movies with either Toyotaro's version of the next sagas or Toei's. Or even consider Toriyama's outline instead of other two media, the problem is that you won't know what is exactly in the Toriyama's outline.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:10 pm

It's Toriyama's movies/plot outlines which Dragonball Super anime/manga is adapted from.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:20 pm

Dragon Ball Super stems from both its television series and its manga that is produced based upon Akira Toriyama's outlines and plotpoints for each respective arc.

Majority of Super's anime isn't your typical "anime based off of a shonen manga" given that the anime was typically of ahead of the manga, the anime just expands upon Toriyama's outlines. The anime staff meet/have discussions with Toriyama every now and then to discuss key concepts for the anime and/or the outlines.

On the other hand, I see the manga as something more representative of Toriyama's outlines being brought to life. This is because Toriyama (based on my assumption) works with Toyotaro more closely than he works with the anime staff, given how Toriyama goes over every chapter Toyotaro (who bases off of Toriyama's outlines) and corrects and edits panels and dialogue for each respective chapter. The manga obviously does not follow the anime 100 percent, but the manga does reuse few plotpoints and concepts from the anime from time to time, but the manga is mostly run by its own interpretation and expansion based off of Toriyama's outlines, just as the anime does for itself.

The movies are the most representative of Toriyama's own intention for each of their respective stories, because he basically writes the movies himself entirely (give or take with a few minor alterations from Toei here and there for the final product).

Battle of Gods was originally a story made by Toei themselves, but Toriyama came along and almost re-wrote the entire film. So that means not all of the ideas, concepts, and/or dialogue/writing in that movie are from Toriyama himself.

Resurrection 'F' and Broly are movies made from scratch by Toriyama, and some concepts are typically suggestions from Toei that have been expanded upon, i.e. Broly.

The Battle of Gods arc in both the manga and the anime used the Battle of Gods movie as reference while obviously adding a few notable changes and differneces. This happened once again for the anime when it went through it's own Resurrection 'F' arc. The manga didn't go through the Ressurection 'F' arc because Toyotaro drew most of it in his own promotional Resurrection 'F' manga, which was made a few months before Super even existed.

The Universe 6, Future Trunks, and Tournament of Power arcs are basically what I stated above with the whole "basing off of Toriyama's outlines."

In closure, majority of Dragon Ball Super basically stems from Toriyama. The anime and manga are two iterations that depict the same outlines, but they are each told different ways. You can say that the anime and the manga are both "canon" but they're technically canon to themselves. Hopefully this wasn't too confusing. :)

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:34 pm

Ah fair enough. I remember the old ones use to be manga was canon anime wasnt or how people use to look at it. Outlines makes sense so the basic idea is canon but the how is open to interpretation.

Thank you guys. Sorry if it was a dumb question

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:32 pm

SSJmole wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:44 pm Sorry if this has been asked but what is canon for the events in super? I heard some say anime is the canon story unlike the previous stuff , others say manga is

Example beerus arc. We have

Manga
Anime
Battle if god's movie.

They all have differences from locations to lines to events ect.... Or is it a mix?
It has been said from the beginning that the manga is only promotional reason why it is incomplete and is dependent.
the author made it clear that the anime was the continuation of the buu arc
the same movies are incomplete ... is somewhat discontinued
to continue with the anime.

Anime > movies > manga
wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:10 pm It's Toriyama's movies/plot outlines which Dragonball Super anime/manga is adapted from.
the zamasu arc and U6 arc and the author created both in the anime first there are no movies of both.
Last edited by Tai Lung on Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:44 pm

It's never been officially stated, but I see the movies, manga and anime as all canon but from alternate universes, similar to Marvel.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:02 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:32 pm the zamasu arc and U6 arc and the author created both in the anime first there are no movies of both.
That would fit into Toriyama's outline [from which they originally came] in my post.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:26 am

"The franchise does not have canon".

Heh.

This looks like a poor excuse to make anything canon.

Anyway, I don't think we can mix these three sources, and IMO the movies have priority.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:34 am

Dragon Ball Super is canon.

DBS anime follows the Toei anime more closely.

DBS manga follows the original manga more closely.

DBS film is a standalone canon, which adapts elements from both media.

Canon is relative to the user and franchise. If you want to say whatever comes out of Toriyama's pen is the truest canon, follow the movies and his outlines. If you want to say only official statements from the parent company AKA Shueisha matter with regards to canonicity, then DBS manga is the official sequel to Toriyama's manga.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:30 am

Dragon Ball Super is canonical, both the anime and manga.
Which continuity is considered the “more canonical” one is up to preference, I think.
Unfortunately this is very confusing, so I hope that in the future they will be able to have a better defined continuity.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Which one is used more in media? the anime is so its more canon to me.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:13 pm

It's all a matter of personal preference and perspective. You can easily pick and choose whichever parts of the Dragon Ball fit into your personal view of what the core narrative is.

But there is only one long-running manga written by Akira Toriyama. Don't ever forget that.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Nokra wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:00 pm Which one is used more in media? the anime is so its more canon to me.
Whichever one is used more in media has literally nothing to do with canonicity. When Shueisha promote DB, they use Toriyama and Toyotaro's manga. When Toei promote DB, they use their own animated series, including GT.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:08 pm

It's kind of tough to identify really. For instance, nothing in the latest Broli movie contradicts BoG/RoF, the TV anime, or the manga. All you could really argue is that Goku doesn't use Kaioken or Full Power SSB (is that what it's called?) in it, but that could simply be because they were never really at their ropes with him until he got so strong that fusion was the obvious solution.

It's best not to worry about it honestly. Follow what you prefer. I imagine the manga and TV anime will continue to be different, while any new movies will make sure not to contradict either the manga or the TV anime in the same way Broli didn't contradict either of them. Let's just hope all 3 have good art/animation and direction.

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:36 pm

There's no official canon, it's really up to you which works you "count". I think the only things that are obvious are that most of the old DBZ movies are for sure not canon, and GT is mostly incompatible with Super.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 am

Oh but there is a canon, only it isn't as cut out and dried as it was before Super came. Then it was just the manga, now you have various parallel interpretations of the same story. But there definitely is a main continuity which the Toei theatrical movies and GT for instance are not part of.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:12 am

Rakurai wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:34 am DBS anime follows the Toei anime more closely.
That's not true, both follow the manga most closely.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Literally everything made by Toriyama, Toei and Shueisha is canon. Only stuff like DB Evolution (which was not made by either of these 3) is non-canon.

The real question is which media belongs to which continuity. And the way I say it, there are 4 official major continuities in the franchise:

1. Jaco/DB Minus -> Original Manga -> DBS Manga

2. Bardock FoG -> Early DB anime -> DBZ (90s TV series, including all filler) -> DBGT

3. Early DB Anime -> DB Kai -> DBS Anime.

4. DB Heroes (where literally everything from all DB anime/manga/video games is canon). Plus, it has its own unique timelines with the "Xeno" characters.

The DBS Broly film is canon to #1, 3 & 4, and The History of Trunks special is canon to #2 & 4.

The 13 Z movies each form about 4 different continuities among themselves.

DB Online seems to have been completely retconned away from history, since it contradicts Super (both versions) and has been completely overridden by Xenoverse. The same can be said for the BoG and RoF movies, being overridden by their DBS adaptions.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 pm

ruler9871 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:22 pmDB Online seems to have been completely retconned away from history, since it contradicts Super (both versions) and has been completely overridden by Xenoverse.
Dragon Ball Xenoverse is not meant to be a follow-up material of the original manga nor has the "power" to overwrite anything as it does not even take place in the manga continuity to begin with. It's a game made by Dimps with their own take on what Dragon Ball Online did.

Also, may you provide evidences on what Dragon Ball Online contradicts Dragon Ball Super?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~