Can it be argued that episodes 107-118 are our best stretch of episodes in Super so far?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Can it be argued that episodes 107-118 are our best stretch of episodes in Super so far?

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:53 pm

Episodes 107-118 featured so many cool, notable, and amazing moments within the tournament and the series itself, and I found none of those episodes disappointing or irritating to me in the slightest. Sure, not every single episode within that batch was super exciting, but each week waiting for the next episode was such a chore because every current episode and the next episode all looked so great. Unfortunately, to me, the streak ended once episode 119 came, and then we went through a very bizarre phase until around episode 129 I guess.

So, like the title says, can it be argued, or do y'all agree that episodes 107-118 were are our best stretch of episodes in Super so far?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Can it be argued that episodes 107-118 are our best stretch of episodes in Super so far?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Yes it can. I think that episodes 47-60 are better, and I have seen a lot of people agree with me throughout the years. The Future Trunks arc was very good until episode 61 where Future Trunks got Super Saiyan Rage (I still do not know how that works since the show never bothered to explain it) and the writers rushed the plot.

But episodes 47-60 were near perfect. They had everything. A lot of drama and tension, as literally the first thing that happens is Goku Black incinerating Future Bulma, a fan-favourite. Also when Goku, Trunks, and Vegeta were stomped by Black and Future Zamasu, I never felt that much tension in Super. Especially since the Future timeline did not have the End of Z plot armor, so it was entirely possible that Black and Future Zamasu would win and kill everyone except Goku and Vegeta. The mistery surrounding Black´s identity was one of the best things that Super ever did, and Zamasu´s introduction was also fantastic. I loved watching this troubled Kai prodigy give into his dark desires and turn into a psycopath out of paranoia, fear, and hatred. The scenes between Future Trunks and Gohan, his family, and Kid Trunks were also touching.

I think that the only semi-controversial thing about this part of Super was Super Saiyan Rose´. For the rest, I consider episodes 47-60 to be the best part of not just the Future Trunks arc but all of Super. Was there actually a controversial or hated episode here?

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Can it be argued that episodes 107-118 are our best stretch of episodes in Super so far?

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:58 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:11 pm Yes it can. I think that episodes 47-60 are better, and I have seen a lot of people agree with me throughout the years. The Future Trunks arc was very good until episode 61 where Future Trunks got Super Saiyan Rage (I still do not know how that works since the show never bothered to explain it) and the writers rushed the plot.

But episodes 47-60 were near perfect. They had everything. A lot of drama and tension, as literally the first thing that happens is Goku Black incinerating Future Bulma, a fan-favourite. Also when Goku, Trunks, and Vegeta were stomped by Black and Future Zamasu, I never felt that much tension in Super. Especially since the Future timeline did not have the End of Z plot armor, so it was entirely possible that Black and Future Zamasu would win and kill everyone except Goku and Vegeta. The mistery surrounding Black´s identity was one of the best things that Super ever did, and Zamasu´s introduction was also fantastic. I loved watching this troubled Kai prodigy give into his dark desires and turn into a psycopath out of paranoia, fear, and hatred. The scenes between Future Trunks and Gohan, his family, and Kid Trunks were also touching.

I think that the only semi-controversial thing about this part of Super was Super Saiyan Rose´. For the rest, I consider episodes 47-60 to be the best part of not just the Future Trunks arc but all of Super. Was there actually a controversial or hated episode here?
Zamasu's whole "rise" to evil was pathetic. For me that was the biggest stain on the arc besides the art.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:25 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:58 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:11 pm Yes it can. I think that episodes 47-60 are better, and I have seen a lot of people agree with me throughout the years. The Future Trunks arc was very good until episode 61 where Future Trunks got Super Saiyan Rage (I still do not know how that works since the show never bothered to explain it) and the writers rushed the plot.

Zamasu's whole "rise" to evil was pathetic. For me that was the biggest stain on the arc besides the art.
I really do not agree with this, especially when showing how a god does not agree with the role that he played in the life and this story in a series like DB with a rigid sociology is interesting enough.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:29 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:53 pm Episodes 107-118 featured so many cool, notable, and amazing moments within the tournament and the series itself, and I found none of those episodes disappointing or irritating to me in the slightest. Sure, not every single episode within that batch was super exciting, but each week waiting for the next episode was such a chore because every current episode and the next episode all looked so great. Unfortunately, to me, the streak ended once episode 119 came, and then we went through a very bizarre phase until around episode 129 I guess.

So, like the title says, can it be argued, or do y'all agree that episodes 107-118 were are our best stretch of episodes in Super so far?
I don't see why we have to stop at 118. Sure, episode 119 is absolute trash, but I can't think of any episodes between 120-131 that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. Overall, I think the stretch of 107-131 is significantly better than 107-118.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:28 pm

PFM18 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:29 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:53 pm Episodes 107-118 featured so many cool, notable, and amazing moments within the tournament and the series itself, and I found none of those episodes disappointing or irritating to me in the slightest. Sure, not every single episode within that batch was super exciting, but each week waiting for the next episode was such a chore because every current episode and the next episode all looked so great. Unfortunately, to me, the streak ended once episode 119 came, and then we went through a very bizarre phase until around episode 129 I guess.

I don't see why we have to stop at 118. Sure, episode 119 is absolute trash, but I can't think of any episodes between 120-131 that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. Overall, I think the stretch of 107-131 is significantly better than 107-118.
I stopped at 118, because 119 ruined the streak lol.

And as for episodes 120-131, you're right, there are a bunch of good moments, but these episodes drag on way too much, especially episodes 123-128. At that point, so many of us were just wondering when the fight would end.

Episode 123 to me felt like a useless dragged out episode until we got Sparkly Vegeta. Not to mention the ridiculousness of Jiren not falling out of bounds after Goku's mine traps.

Episode 124 was pretty boring overall in my opinion, and the endless amounts of reused animation didn't help. It's a pretty forgettable episode.

Episode 125 was a great episode.

Episode 126 was also not too exciting, and having to sit through another pride Vegeta monologue was just getting tiring. Also Vegeta's self-destruction thing was kind of ridiculous.

Episode 127 wasn't necessarily bad, but it was also just another drag of an episode until Jiren's backstory was revealed 17 sacrificed himself.

Episode 128 was also another drag of an episode until Vegeta got knocked out and Goku went UI.

Episode 129 was alright, but the beam struggle near the end of the episode dragged out quite a bit, and the episode was filled with reused animation.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:41 pm

I can get behind this. I would argue the filler arc between Trunks and ToP was also pretty solid, only really let-down in those nine episodes were some inferior animation and production, but apart from the second Hit episode, none really suffered for it.

But yeah, 107 was about when the Tournament of Power coalesced into a solid run. I didn't care for 108, but apart from that it was a straight run of solid episodes. It's also where the criticism that the ToP was nothing but fighting and fanservice least applies, because that's around where everything starts flowing into a consistent narrative. It leads into the establishment of Jiren as the primary threat, Ultra Instinct as the goal and plays out and realises the story arcs of Universe 6 and 2. The arc falls apart after they go because you lose the antagonists that have had the most time and development in one go and are left having to clean up the shallow ones before kicking off the final battle. Which also takes forever because you have to wrap up Dyspo, Gohan, Toppo and Vegeta.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:03 pm

Yes, I totally agree with this! Personally for me it's more 109-118 ( I feel like the TOP hype really started with the special), but that's a depressingly low number of episodes if I think about it , so 107 as a starting point is fine, too .I didn't mind the first half of 106 either., but I don't think there's another person out there that liked anything about that episode even a little bit

118 is the high point of the TOP for me and after 10 episodes of fun 119 was like getting hit by a bucket of ice water. There were some good episodes after that and I loved the finale, but after U6 and U2 disappeared the whole thing just felt so empty.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:47 pm

Did we suddenly forget about all the controversy surrounding Kefla? Episodes 113-116 were hated by many people when they first aired.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:55 pm

I'd say Episode 47 to 76 was the best stretch of storytelling and Toriyama-like whimsy and charm in the series.

But I'd certainly put down my marker on Episode 107 to 118 being the best stretch of visceral entertainment and showpieces.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:07 pm

Concerning Kefla (and other controversies that were making the rounds back then ex.: Hit's elimination and clone )

It started out with a lot of fandom negativity, but then Takahashi's style and that beam slide happened, so fandom perception is positive over all I'd say. Even Ribrianne's final episode somehow managed to garner a lot more positivity than anticipated.
These episodes are not the greatest achievement in terms of storytelling, but they're fun. That's what people remember them for.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Michsi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:07 pm Concerning Kefla (and other controversies that were making the rounds back then ex.: Hit's elimination and clone )

It started out with a lot of fandom negativity, but then Takahashi's style and that beam slide happened, so fandom perception is positive over all I'd say. Even Ribrianne's final episode somehow managed to garner a lot more positivity than anticipated.
These episodes are not the greatest achievement in terms of storytelling, but they're fun. That's what people remember them for.
I think that is the crux why a lot of Dragon Ball's shortcomings when it comes to storytelling are given a pass somewhat by a lot of fan: Dragon Ball always finds a way to turn the story and/or character beats into something visual stimulating, whimsical and charming.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:20 pm
Michsi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:07 pm Concerning Kefla (and other controversies that were making the rounds back then ex.: Hit's elimination and clone )

I think that is the crux why a lot of Dragon Ball's shortcomings when it comes to storytelling are given a pass somewhat by a lot of fan: Dragon Ball always finds a way to turn the story and/or character beats into something visual stimulating, whimsical and charming.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I wish they wouldn't rely on this aspect so much though.
Also, I think the reason why the TOP is remembered fondly, despite some pretty glaring shortcomings, is that it made a legitimate effort to use more of the main cast and give them proper moments in the limelight. I mean, it wasn't good for every character, Kuririn and Tenshinhan can attest to that, but the intention and effort was there. None of the other arcs really attempted anything like that. It was ambitious in that regard.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:11 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:47 pm Did we suddenly forget about all the controversy surrounding Kefla? Episodes 113-116 were hated by many people when they first aired.
I don't remember anyone hating those episodes. In fact, episode 114 and 116 are some of the most praised episodes of Super that i've seen because of their action and art direction. People hated Kefla's strenght, not the episodes she appeared in.