"Dragon Ball Super" Manga UK Home Release Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

"Dragon Ball Super" Manga UK Home Release Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:42 am

Yes, I know we've already been discussing their releases in the Funimation home release thread but since a lot of posters here are from the UK I thought that we should have our own thread for continuing these discussions, and not use the thread for broadcast discussions.

With that in mind, and since Part 7 is out in the US today has anyone heard anything about when thats hitting our shores? It seems strange Manga has been quiet about that since they've recently started getting releases out around the same time as Funimation and Super has been selling well for them thus far. Maybe they're waiting for after Broly to avoid putting out too many releases including the movies and Kai TFC too close together.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Manga UK Home Release Thread

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:04 am

I'm hoping they'll announce Super Part 7 soon. Although they have gone very quiet regarding their One Piece releases again too, so I hope it doesn't turn into a massive wait. I believe they've had licensing issues with One Piece on and off, with the infamous 13 month wait between 2 of the sets.

At least we've got the DBS Broly home release to look forward to. I've already pre-ordered the steelbook.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:05 am

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:04 amAt least we've got the DBS Broly home release to look forward to. I've already pre-ordered the steelbook.
Yeah true. I'm getting the regular edition myself as I'm a bit of a freak for shelf consistency and want it to line up with my Battle of Gods and Resurrection F Blu-Rays, but I'm happy Manga UK are doing steelbooks for the customers who like them because I know there are a lot.

By the way what did you think about Broly?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:50 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:05 am
90sDBZ wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:04 amAt least we've got the DBS Broly home release to look forward to. I've already pre-ordered the steelbook.
Yeah true. I'm getting the regular edition myself as I'm a bit of a freak for shelf consistency and want it to line up with my Battle of Gods and Resurrection F Blu-Rays, but I'm happy Manga UK are doing steelbooks for the customers who like them because I know there are a lot.

By the way what did you think about Broly?
I thought it was great overall. Maybe a little slow around the middle, but once the fighting started I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I'm a bit of a Gogeta fanboy, so having him in the movie was a huge plus. Seeing him fight Broly also made me nostalgic for the Budokai 3 opening, and I loved the song that plays when they fight in the movie. And the song by was great Blizzard too. So yeah I'm really looking forward to the Blu-ray. :)

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:34 pm

I'm hoping they do. My guess is they'll announce after broly release. As I know people (including me) who were not going to watch the movie until they've caught up with the series. Then no word of 7. Makes me say fine fine I'll watch that first!

I.e announcing it now could hurt the sales of the movie as as people wait to catch up.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:21 am

Thought that the Standard Blu-ray release would come with a bonus DVD disc of the movie but that's actually included in the Steelbook Blu-ray version, or the Standard DVD release. Hm, thought they'd just throw it in because it's a DVD but that's not the case.

I hope Manga UK makes some worthwhile announcements of what the Steelbook Blu-ray is gonna have cause just a metallic case with a BD and DVD isn't really anything special.

Wish they'd do something like this for Super Broly:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:31 pm

https://www.mangauk.com/dragon-ball-sup ... powers-up/

Manga UK have upgraded the standard Blu-ray of Broly to a Collector's Edition to match their Ressurection F Collector's Edition. People who already pre-ordered the standard Blu-ray get the Collector's Edition at no extra cost. And there's a Sainsbury's exclusive edition for both DVD and Blu-ray.

The only downside is the Steelbook doesn't get any of the extra stuff. I've pre-ordered that, but I'm tempted to change to the CE instead now.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:19 am

The MANGA release is admittedly one of the best for technical reasons but it feels so bare-bones it's kind of hard to justify its MSRP.

If only it had included a booklet like Selecta Visión's release does.

Speaking of the Selecta Visión release, it looks nice but it's overpriced. €37.99? Ridiculous.

The packaging is identical to the Battle of Gods CE I bought from them and it wasn't too well built or packaged properly (the booklet was misplaced thus it had some damaged).

I'll just wait for a discounted price. Same for MANGA's Blu-ray.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:00 pm

After much deliberation I've cancelled my Steelbook order and gone for the Collector's Edition instead. The Steelbook would have cost me £23 while I managed to get the Collector's Edition for £13.50 off Zoom with a discount code.

This will be more consistent with my BoG and RF Blu-rays and won't be as bare bones as the Steelbook would have been. Steelbooks are kind of cool and it was tempting to get both, but I really don't need to double dip.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:53 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:00 pm I managed to get the Collector's Edition for £13.50 off Zoom with a discount code.
What was the code? Is it one one of those one off codes or can anyone use it because that's a good price.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:50 am

Is it account specific?

SIGNUP10 makes it £20.69 cheaper, yeah, but it's only 10%.

Edit: Oh wait, the Collector's Edition is the Standard Blu-ray + Slipcover + Stickers so it costs £13.49 with the code. I was confusing the Steelbook with the Collector's Edition, because the Steelbook is a Collector's Edition item! :P

DVD version drops to £8.99.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:22 am

Bullza wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:53 pm
90sDBZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:00 pm I managed to get the Collector's Edition for £13.50 off Zoom with a discount code.
What was the code? Is it one one of those one off codes or can anyone use it because that's a good price.
It's a code you get for signing up to their newsletter, although it only works once.
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:50 am Is it account specific?

SIGNUP10 makes it £20.69 cheaper, yeah, but it's only 10%.

Edit: Oh wait, the Collector's Edition is the Standard Blu-ray + Slipcover + Stickers so it costs £13.49 with the code. I was confusing the Steelbook with the Collector's Edition, because the Steelbook is a Collector's Edition item! :P

DVD version drops to £8.99.
Yeah the code was SIGNUP10. I'm guessing it must be the same for everyone then. I suppose that defeats the purpose of signing up to the newsletter if you don't want to.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:26 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:19 am The MANGA release is admittedly one of the best for technical reasons but it feels so bare-bones it's kind of hard to justify its MSRP.

If only it had included a booklet like Selecta Visión's release does.

Speaking of the Selecta Visión release, it looks nice but it's overpriced. €37.99? Ridiculous.

The packaging is identical to the Battle of Gods CE I bought from them and it wasn't too well built or packaged properly (the booklet was misplaced thus it had some damaged).

I'll just wait for a discounted price. Same for MANGA's Blu-ray.
It seems their Collector's Edition for My Hero Academia Season One Part One will contain the booklet too, so maybe if they do release Rock the Dragon we will get a softcover version of the one in Funimation's version not just a re-release of the set in standard DVD casing with nothing else, and it might encourage people outside the UK who were raised on that dub to import. And I encourage anyone who wants that UK version to become a reality to keep demanding it, remember they did release Kai TFC "due to popular demand" and they have acquired Funimation's NTSC Super parts. Also, I messaged Jerome a few days ago on Facebook and he said Rock the Dragon was lost amongst a myriad of other business concerns and queries they had and it wasn't sorted yet, so we can safely assume it has been a consideration, but if they know we want it it will happen.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:31 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:26 pmIt seems their Collector's Edition for My Hero Academia Season One Part One will contain the booklet too, so maybe if they do release Rock the Dragon we will get a softcover version of the one in Funimation's version not just a re-release of the set in standard DVD casing with nothing else, and it might encourage people outside the UK who were raised on that dub to import. And I encourage anyone who wants that UK version to become a reality to keep demanding it, remember they did release Kai TFC "due to popular demand" and they have acquired Funimation's NTSC Super parts. Also, I messaged Jerome a few days ago on Facebook and he said Rock the Dragon was lost amongst a myriad of other business concerns and queries they had and it wasn't sorted yet, so we can safely assume it has been a consideration, but if they know we want it it will happen.
It would be infinitely better if they acquired the Madman release instead because that's as complete as it gets for Ocean Dub on DVD. The RtD set is great and I like mine a lot but Madman's release is the one to go for.

Just didn't bother buying the R4 version cause it'd overall cost too much, I reckon.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:07 am

The idea of Manga repackaging Madman's Ocean singles has definitely crossed my mind. They did it with the Saga sets for Dragon Ball after all, but I hope they release Rock the Dragon as it will mean less discs and less chance of them being stacked on top of each other. It also means the Tree of Might TV edit will be more widely available and encourage imports from outside the UK and Ireland. The uncut Pioneer trilogy can also be found on Ebay for cheap now and then. Also, as the Westwood, Blue Water and Kai dubs will almost certainly never get a home release I'll take any UK Ocean dubbed releases I can.

The only thing I'd worry about is that Funimation may not want other companies to profit off Saban era dubbed material anymore because its a niche product, which would explain Rock the Dragon also containing regions 2 and 4, and Madman never releasing their own version, but time will tell.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:22 am
Bullza wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:53 pm
It's a code you get for signing up to their newsletter, although it only works once.
Never knew about this, but will need to avail of it, perhaps when Super Part 7 is out. Cheers buddy :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:05 am

I was just browsing through MANGA's Twitter account and saw this, I mean, we already know but it's now crystal clear.

This is probably one of the most barebones "Limited Edition" products I've ever seen. No extras on the disc(s) nor a booklet for the Steelbook. Sigh.

Even the "Collector's Edition" Blu-ray comes with a slight and some damn stickers (should have been art cards). :| But MANGA's release of DBS Broly is gonna be praised because there's no green tint. As if that's an issue that can't be fixed. Smh.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:02 am

Honestly if I had to choose between green tint and extras or no green tint and no extras I'd take the latter. I honestly didn't notice the green tint in Funimation's Kai TFC Blu-Ray, but its more evident in their Broly Blu-Ray from what I've seen.

Packaging doesn't bother me either. It'd be nice to have something like what Selecta Vision is putting out, but I like the consistency on my shelves so as long as Broly has a nice slipcover a few inserts is fine with me. It would also mean paying more per Blu-Ray and I have a bad habit of double dipping as is, especially the earlier movies, which I own several times over :lol:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:21 am

Steelbook - £19.49
http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/D2785-Drag ... +Steelbook

Blu-ray - £12.99
http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/D2784-Drag ... yb+Blu-Ray

DVD - £9.59
http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/D2781-Drag ... +Broly+Hyb

Really good prices, especially for the Steelbook Edition but gonna pass because y'know, no extras. :problem:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed May 01, 2019 2:10 am

Don't know if you guys are aware but there's apparently two different Collector's Edition versions. :|

Sainsbury's Exclusive (£14.99)

Standard Retail (£14.99)

Manga UK's is chopping it to as many parts as possible and if fans want a genuine Collector's Edition, you gotta buy 2x CE and the Steelbook. Then sell off the CEs without the bonuses.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 01, 2019 4:31 am

Hmmm, I'm not a fan of the practice of companies encouraging their customers to double dip, seems like Manga UK are milking Broly a bit, but I kinda want the inserts in both the standard and Sainsbury's editions.

Honestly though, I pre-ordered the standard Blu-Ray, but with my birthday coming up in July I may ask for the Sainsbury's version as a gift, keep the inserts from both editions and sellI the standard Blu-Ray without them.

I have no interest in steelbooks so if all goes to plan I'll have everything I need.