Is DBS: Broly overrated?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REG

Re: Is DBS: Broly overrated?

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 05, 2019 4:08 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:58 pm
SaintEvolution wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:51 pm
Don't think so. It makes the story of the old Broly movie better while puts it in the canon without big incoherences or troubles.
You really think a mistake (namely years) in time placement is not a "big incoherences or troubles"?
Are you talking about they adapt the Dragon Ball Minus manga to the animation? Witch actually changed Goku's age if I'm not wrong.

Well, Baby Goku living with Old Grandpa Gohan was never something in the manga if I'm not wrong.

Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:08 pm
Are you talking about they adapt the Dragon Ball Minus manga to the animation? Witch actually changed Goku's age if I'm not wrong.

Well, Baby Goku living with Old Grandpa Gohan was never something in the manga if I'm not wrong.
I'm talking about the "41 years ago" subtitle that appears right in the beginning of the movie, which is completely wrong. Are you okay with that? Do you really think that doesn't cause lots of problems?
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 05, 2019 4:11 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm
SaintEvolution wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm talking about the "41 years ago" subtitle that appears right in the beginning of the movie, which is completely wrong. Are you okay with that? Do you really think that doesn't cause lots of problems?
Now that you talked about it, I need to re-watch to know.
But an anime retelling of the story could fix it, I think.

Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Grimlock » Sun May 05, 2019 4:18 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:11 pm
But an anime retelling of the story could fix it, I think.
Or destroys even more, just like there is an official information stating that the retellings did start six months after Majin Buu saga.

Anyway, time placement is a big deal, we've been lucky that even with new information introduced these days, we could round it up to work (mostly...). However, that "41 years ago" is completely off and cannot be considered by any means, unless, of course, you don't mind following a totally screwed timeline.
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

The Monkey King
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by The Monkey King » Mon May 06, 2019 7:11 am

Imo calling something 'overrated' is such a lazy, bottom of the barrel criticism. Which shows your dislike of a product comes from nothing that could be in the form of constructive criticism, it's just that you have a problem with other people enjoying things.

As for this thread, no it is not. DBS Broly is one of the greatest things to happen to the Dragon Ball franchise in a long time, it's an entertaining, spectacularly animated feast for the eyes with a lot of replay value.
garfield15 wrote:"Now Goku, we shall have our Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Movie 14, now available on DVD and blu-ray!"
http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww11 ... wesome.gif

JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 06, 2019 10:20 am

I loved the movie but I have a question for everyone: why does it matter if something is 'overrated'?
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual & Transgender | Queer |
•Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter)

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Mon May 06, 2019 10:34 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:20 am
I loved the movie but I have a question for everyone: why does it matter if something is 'overrated'?
I guess the idea is that a person may not like something that other people mostly like, so to them it's overrated. Like The Dark Knight is considered one of the best comic book films of all time but some people disagree and see it as overrated. But I think saying something is overrated is a bit cheap of a criticism if it has nothing to back it up beyond personal gripes, some things are genuinely bad that people like because it's "popular" and the good thing is that there are people who give good criticism as to why that "popular" thing is bad. I really loved the Super Broly film but I would understand why someone may think it's not that great and I also have addressed some criticisms people had on the story like some people thinking the prelude in the past was a waste of time but I put why the past section of the film is actually one of the most important and main themes of the film and without it the theme wouldn't come across.

Anonymous Friend
Advanced Regular

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri May 24, 2019 4:26 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:20 am
Saying something is "overrated" is basically saying: "Stop liking this thing more than me!"
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063