Is DBS: Broly overrated?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Is DBS: Broly overrated?

Post by Melkaniator » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:05 am

Yes, it's overrated, but in fighting is the best one we got yet.
kemuri07 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:20 pm Broly being a "better character" isn't that impressive when his original backstory is literally that he hated Goku for crying--for like, three whole hours. So instead of being an awful character, he's merely a generic one. And despite that, he's still the same mindless bruiser as he was in the original film
Broly wasn't a “mindless bruiser” in the original, for all the complaints we got from OG Broly, Broly (Br) was the actual mindless one.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:02 am

DBS Broly being overrated is DEFINATELY an opinion.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:38 am

Jackalope89 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:40 am Overrated? Don't know.

Incomplete? Yes. On re-examination of it, it feels like entire chunks of the story is simply missing. Maybe it was knowing Toriyama's original script would have made it about 3 hours, but yeah. The first part, on Planet Vegeta, was fine. Its after that where it feels rushed or missing scenes.
Definitely incomplete. And the acts don't really connect very well. For me, it all hinges on Vegeta who is the bridge that connects all this. His overall apathy for the situation later on makes the movie flat to me. What should be this seminal moment in Saiyan history between the prince of the Saiyan race, the low class Saiyan who became the greatest of them all, and the exiled Saiyan prodigy just ended up feeling like a random fight. Broly could've been any other alien race and it wouldn't have changed the 2nd and 3rd acts.

I think the beginning set the stage for a really good story but they wasted precious time on things that didn't fill out the story they were trying to tell. It would've been much better if Gogeta did not show up and it was all left to Goku and Vegeta. At least then, we could have a better connection between these 3 characters.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:13 pm

There is a lot of things that are missing I agree.

I also have a hard time believing that Broly hates fighting. He seemed to enjoy it during his fight with Goku and Vegeta, once he went berserk. But its true that it wasn't his choice to fight Vegeta and he wasn't himself when he was berserk.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:13 pm There is a lot of things that are missing I agree.

I also have a hard time believing that Broly hates fighting. He seemed to enjoy it during his fight with Goku and Vegeta, once he went berserk. But its true that it wasn't his choice to fight Vegeta and he wasn't himself when he was berserk.
I think the ending is supposed to imply that he does in fact like fighting. He’s just not bloodthirsty.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:39 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:13 pm There is a lot of things that are missing I agree.

I think the ending is supposed to imply that he does in fact like fighting. He’s just not bloodthirsty.
Yeah I'd say your probably right.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:00 pm

Obviously it isn't overrated, it's one of the single most gorgeous looking thing post-revival Dragon Ball has produced. A lot of people here seem to be viewing that as a side-thing, and not, y'know, the thing? A film is the sum of its parts, and a lot of the parts used to make this film are really, really good. I was more engaged with the characters due to the character acting, I was more into the fights due to the choreography, I liked being in this world due to the new designs, art style and colour palette. Hell, even the overly long final battle was broken up into easily digestible chunks which you can identity based on the characters fighting, their form and how they look.
When people say "yeah well the story wasn't good"... all that stuff I mentioned is a part of the story, and that's all great. Do people mean the script isn't good? Like, strip out the context of the events that take place?
At that point you're robbing a movie of its most important elements. Like man Blade Runner sucks, there was barely a story and the protagonist kept getting his ass kicked.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:28 pm

People will beat on anything they don't like.