Is DBS: Broly overrated?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Is DBS: Broly overrated?

Post by Nokra » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:57 am

I watched the movie and thought it was okay to mediocre.The animation was average and bad in some parts especially with the Freeza/broly and fusion scene. People are praising this movie likes it the best movie ever even though it barely has any story and is just a big fight like the ToP which was a terrible boring arc. Idk maybe I just expect too much out of dbs and forget that its a mediocre show anyway. What do you all think?

sintzu
Banned

Re: Is DBS: Broly overrated?

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:10 pm

The story wasn't bad but it wasn't ground breaking either. I think had it been a completely original story instead of older ones mixed together things would've been better.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:34 pm

It was an average movie overall, with the only part that matter was its first 25 minutes, which was very cool but very short. It should be expanded so that the interesting characters get a nice character development and such.

It is overrated because, you know, it's a Toriyama work and people are now obsessed with animation for some reason.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Dragon Ball will never have absolutely amazing plot or character depth, and so neither does this film. But the art style, animation and fight choreography is amazing, besides the incredibly off putting cgi fight scenes (ssb Goku vs Broly, Broly and Gogeta in the dimension rift).

It's probably my favourite or 2nd favourite dragon ball film, and I don't feel it's overrated or underrated. They put an incredible amount of effort into what matters the most for a good dragon ball film.

People can sometimes act like visuals are a less important element to a film than character and plot, and I disagree heavily.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:01 pm

It's a below average script wrapped up in nice visuals and art direction. Remove the latter and I guarantee it would be criticized the same as Resurrection F.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:43 pmDragon Ball will never have absolutely amazing plot or character depth, and so neither does this film.
The Namek arc was pretty good when it came to plot and characters. The biggest issue with Broly is that it's just made up of 3 older stories mixed into 1. It doesn't help that parts of its source material (Bardock for example) were better in the original.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:27 pm

Not at all. It is possibly the greatest Dragon Ball work of all time. I have seen it 5 times and it was still a blast to watch for the fifth time.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:36 pm

In terms of story, its average. Animation surpasses everything that comes before it. Thats what the movie gets praise for.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:19 pm

Kagari wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:01 pm It's a below average script wrapped up in nice visuals and art direction. Remove the latter and I guarantee it would be criticized the same as Resurrection F.

My thoughts exactly. This movies saving grace is it’s visuals. As a story it’s subpar at best.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:57 pm

None of the Dragon Ball movies have ever had anything resembling a good story so that's sort of beside the point. It struggles to even create good stories for the TV series.

But it has by far, incomparable from all the others, the best animation and action sequences of the series. That is why it's the best movie ever as far as Dragon Ball movies are concerned.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Depends on who you ask.

I personally loved the film. The stunning visual direction, cinematography and fantastic score immensely aid in elevating what can easily be seen as a very basic script.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 am

In regards to the entire franchise, Broly is another good entry. Far from the best the entire franchise has produced.

In regards to modern Dragonball, it's the best in terms of art direction, storytelling, lore building (second to BoG), fight scenes, and cinematography. There's a reason it blew up as it did. It reinvented several old concepts, improved them, and made them something that makes a bit more sense in the grand scope of the story

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Nokra wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:57 am I watched the movie and thought it was okay to mediocre.The animation was average and bad in some parts especially with the Freeza/broly and fusion scene. People are praising this movie likes it the best movie ever even though it barely has any story and is just a big fight like the ToP which was a terrible boring arc. Idk maybe I just expect too much out of dbs and forget that its a mediocre show anyway. What do you all think?
The difference between the two parts was jarring. Apart from that is was great, and especially how we got to know Broly as a character. The action was breathtaking. Never before have seen seen animation quality like this!
MKCSTEALTH wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:03 am In regards to the entire franchise, Broly is another good entry. Far from the best the entire franchise has produced.
If you're talking about movies, I don't agree with you here. Broly's in the top 3 DB Z movie that's been made in my eyes.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:54 am

It is a little overrated because the awesome designs, animation and direction help elevate its script a lot.
But compared to other Dragon Ball movies it’s still the best in my opinion, with Battle of Gods coming second.
Of course if I were to compare the scripts I would put Battle of Gods above it and would probably rank Broly to be more or less on the same level as Resurrection “F”. But a movie isn’t only its script.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:59 am

Well if this movie was average, all the other movies were downright shit, especially the non-canon ones.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:37 am

Not at all. The animation complements the movie, but it doesn't "elevate" the script per se; the script is fantastic all on its own and I've posted at length about why I think it's probably the most thematically focused story in modern Dragon Ball (Battle of Gods suffers from too many instances of padding for me to consider its script anything more than second-best, and none of the old non-canon movies truly understand what made the source material so great).

That's not to say I think Broly is insurmountable by any means, but it's the best we've got so far. If anything, the other films are kinda weak in comparison.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:45 pm

No, I genuinely think that this movie deserves the praise it gets. Obviously it’s not the greatest work of fiction ever, but it’s a fantastic step in the right direction for Dragon Ball. The new designs, steller animation, and “new” characters are all great. If everything turns out well with Super 2, this movie will be the start of many great things.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:13 am

Nokra wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:57 am I watched the movie and thought it was okay to mediocre.The animation was average and bad in some parts especially with the Freeza/broly and fusion scene. People are praising this movie likes it the best movie ever even though it barely has any story and is just a big fight like the ToP which was a terrible boring arc. Idk maybe I just expect too much out of dbs and forget that its a mediocre show anyway. What do you all think?
It was the honeymoon phase. It was similar with the last two movies, but I think that's okay. When I first saw it, I wasn't wowed, but I did have a great time and was super grateful that it was made. The art and animation was well worth the price and hype, and I 100% want to support this new direction for Dragon Ball art and animation.

I however found the plot to be lacking and devoid of any emotional connections in the final act and had a major problem with Vegeta in this movie. Namely, I felt he wasn't present enough when this story is really 1/3 his story, maybe more since it was his dad to set many events in motion. He didn't interact with Broly or Paragus at all outside of fighting and that's just a bad storytelling choice in a movie like this, knowing what we know of Vegeta.

I would rather have a grounded emotional connection, than a flashy fusion fight. Speaking of, I didn't think the fight choreography was anything special either. It had a few good moments, but Broly's fighting style lacked uniqueness and personality. Instead of feeling like a savage or a big guy, this Broly had a mostly generic fighting style with a callback or two to the other more interesting fighting style of 90's Broly. I think Broly's personality should have been better represented in the way he kicked ass. Overall, I hate to say it, but I enjoyed Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan like 100x more. I don't say that lightly, either. I loved this new sympathetic take on Broly this time, and was prepared to dive into this new version and never look back but the final act kinda ruined all the momentum the movie was building up for me.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:20 am

Bullza wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:57 pm None of the Dragon Ball movies have ever had anything resembling a good story so that's sort of beside the point. It struggles to even create good stories for the TV series.

But it has by far, incomparable from all the others, the best animation and action sequences of the series. That is why it's the best movie ever as far as Dragon Ball movies are concerned.
The movies aren't any worse than any Dragonball Super arc in terms of plot complexity, maybe besides the TV specials , Path to Power and Wrath of the Dragon. DBS: Broly had a decent start, even if I hated the Father of Goku retcon Toriyama was responsible for. The problem was the fight. It went for too long and didn't have any interesting dialogue, or any dialogue at all, so I lost interest after a while. Most other DBZ films would have a side story or show fights from characters that don't normally get the spotlight.

I never thought I'd complain about too much fighting. Animation was top notch but the art style kept changing every other scene. Sometimes detailed with shading, other times it looked like a completely different show. The CG didn't belong

Overall, I'd give it a 6/10. Middle of the pack for Dragonball movies

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:16 am

Absolutely overrated. Plot being nothing new, Broly 2.0 is basically Tarzan + anger issues, wayyyy to many fights one after the other.