Am I The Only DB Fan Who Likes Jiren?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Am I The Only DB Fan Who Likes Jiren?

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 pm

I'm planning to re-read the ToP when I get the final volume next month, but I remember feeling unsatisfied when the ToP was coming to an end about Jiren in every way. His skillset in the anime isn't something extraordinary, but in the manga was even more discrete.
He never gave me that invincible vibe that he exuded in the anime, only his introduction worked for me but then at the ToP never lived up to that in my eyes, I was always waiting for something more, and he didn't get any revelations like he did in the anime, he was never (really) defeated and his strenght shattered and put in a place where he had to question everything he ever was, he was never forced to "evolve".

I felt Goku in the anime proved Jiren wrong and he understood that, he learnt from it even in the last moments of the ToP getting that nakama boost that represented a huge growth in Jiren as a character and as a fighter, he went even as far as admitting he was defeated and asked to be eliminate without lectures. In the manga, however and like I said I have to re-read it, I don't recall Jiren being proven wrong, or being ever at risk, never at the ropes and scared so much to decide to attack the audience. I feel the same way about manga MUI, lackluster at best.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:38 pm I seem to be in the minority when it comes to vocal opinions on this matter, but I entirely disagree.

I HATE the manga Jiren. I dunno, something about the "discount Superman except still an asshole" just rubs me the wrong way. The anime made strength the whole conceit of the character, driving home the theme of strength not being solely what's needed to win the tournament. I also liked his gravitas and presence more in the anime; he felt like a threat that never took our heroes seriously, but didn't have the kind of sadism or joy of previous antagonists to lighten the mood.

When anime Jiren took to the stage, you just KNEW that our heroes weren't gonna accomplish a damn thing against this monster that doesn't ever need to use anything close to his true power against them. I never got the same kind of investment from manga Jiren.
Well, he is supposed to be more or less a Superman trope. Jiren is a Pride Trooper, and they are caricatures of heroes of justice, just like the U2 trio were a parody of magical girls.

I preferred the approach that the manga took, where they gave exposition to the man named Jiren, and later developed his relationship with Belmod and previous master, Gitcchin. Stoic, silent characters who are supposed to be strong just cause and vague give me no pleasure and satisfaction. In the manga, not only was Jiren a monster, but we later find out Jiren wanted his master's approval and got so strong to the point he even surpassed a GoD, initially showcasing his strong, mature sense of justice, but then ultimately exposing his very child-like way of thinking.

And I got a different message from the anime regarding the concept of strength, because UI Goku ultimately beat Jiren, though he ran out of juice near the end. UI Goku, anime or manga, had a speed and power boost regardless, and in the anime UI Goku was stronger, period. In the manga, UI Goku still got his ass beat, so Jiren had an ego boost on top of that, but they won through a clever ploy and teamwork.

If all I cared about was how strong and dominant the character was supposed to be, I would've like GoD Toppo more than manga Toppo. But I like how much more vulnerable Toppo was compared to Jiren, and the conflict of interest when Jiren outright refused to save him and Dyspo.
HeroR wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:01 pm
No, he sat down and did nothing so the rest of his team would get ring out. As 17 pointed out, Jiren was just using the Pride Troopers for his own ends, which is why he barely bothered to save them.

Which, amusingly enough Jiren did in the anime compared to the more heroic manga. Like Jiren just let Kale and later Kefla wiped out his teammates and even let Dypso and Toppo fall out of the ring, while Anime Jiren actually took Kale out after he took out one of his teammates and even saved Dypso.
He sat down because there was nobody else who could challenge him, Toppo and Dyspo even complied. I personally got the feeling that Jiren didn't want to fight people who were unworthy of his attention, with the added portrayal of sub-bosses and the last, big boss to challenge. And then he

Manga Jiren was never about teamwork from the start. It isn't about doing "more," it's about the characterization and him not helping his teammates because they were too weak portrays how little he believed in teamwork and what his "justice" was supposed to be. Kale rampaging on the universes means nothing to him.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 15, 2019 12:08 am

Rakurai wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 pm
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:38 pm I seem to be in the minority when it comes to vocal opinions on this matter, but I entirely disagree.

I HATE the manga Jiren. I dunno, something about the "discount Superman except still an asshole" just rubs me the wrong way. The anime made strength the whole conceit of the character, driving home the theme of strength not being solely what's needed to win the tournament. I also liked his gravitas and presence more in the anime; he felt like a threat that never took our heroes seriously, but didn't have the kind of sadism or joy of previous antagonists to lighten the mood.

When anime Jiren took to the stage, you just KNEW that our heroes weren't gonna accomplish a damn thing against this monster that doesn't ever need to use anything close to his true power against them. I never got the same kind of investment from manga Jiren.
Well, he is supposed to be more or less a Superman trope. Jiren is a Pride Trooper, and they are caricatures of heroes of justice, just like the U2 trio were a parody of magical girls.

I preferred the approach that the manga took, where they gave exposition to the man named Jiren, and later developed his relationship with Belmod and previous master, Gitcchin. Stoic, silent characters who are supposed to be strong just cause and vague give me no pleasure and satisfaction. In the manga, not only was Jiren a monster, but we later find out Jiren wanted his master's approval and got so strong to the point he even surpassed a GoD, initially showcasing his strong, mature sense of justice, but then ultimately exposing his very child-like way of thinking.

And I got a different message from the anime regarding the concept of strength, because UI Goku ultimately beat Jiren, though he ran out of juice near the end. UI Goku, anime or manga, had a speed and power boost regardless, and in the anime UI Goku was stronger, period. In the manga, UI Goku still got his ass beat, so Jiren had an ego boost on top of that, but they won through a clever ploy and teamwork.

If all I cared about was how strong and dominant the character was supposed to be, I would've like GoD Toppo more than manga Toppo. But I like how much more vulnerable Toppo was compared to Jiren, and the conflict of interest when Jiren outright refused to save him and Dyspo.
HeroR wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:01 pm
No, he sat down and did nothing so the rest of his team would get ring out. As 17 pointed out, Jiren was just using the Pride Troopers for his own ends, which is why he barely bothered to save them.

Which, amusingly enough Jiren did in the anime compared to the more heroic manga. Like Jiren just let Kale and later Kefla wiped out his teammates and even let Dypso and Toppo fall out of the ring, while Anime Jiren actually took Kale out after he took out one of his teammates and even saved Dypso.
He sat down because there was nobody else who could challenge him, Toppo and Dyspo even complied. I personally got the feeling that Jiren didn't want to fight people who were unworthy of his attention, with the added portrayal of sub-bosses and the last, big boss to challenge. And then he

Manga Jiren was never about teamwork from the start. It isn't about doing "more," it's about the characterization and him not helping his teammates because they were too weak portrays how little he believed in teamwork and what his "justice" was supposed to be. Kale rampaging on the universes means nothing to him.
It's true that Jiren didn't want to waste his time and energy on weaklings and left them up to his teammates. But overall, Jiren purposely left his teammates in the dust so he would be the sole one getting the Super Dragon Balls.

Actually, Jiren in the beginning of the manga did used teamwork since he team up with Dypso and even retreated when Dypso told him to when U4 attacked. And it's a little odd that he didn't want to destroy other universes to survived, but put himself in a position where he had to do exactly that since he let his own team get wrecked and left everything up to him. That and Anime Jiren believed in teamwork less than Manga Jiren to the point of seeing his team as pawn, and he still stopped Kale.

Also, Jiren was 'more active' than Anime Jiren, yet he somehow knocked out the exact same number of people as Anime Jiren.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 am

Another thing about anime Jiren I preferred is the core conflict.

While the general conceit is still the same, namely that Jiren doesn't trust other people to pick up where strength fails, I felt it was a better executed character development than in the manga. In the manga, it's this "wishing to appease master" that kinda comes off as childish and lame. In the anime? Jiren's "boring character" comes full circle because he's ultimately hollow inside having devoted everything about his existence to strength.

He didn't form the Pride Troopers; they formed around him. If you aren't strong enough even after giving it your all to accomplish anything of note, you aren't worth a damn thing.; anime Jiren knows this all too well due to failing in his past. As well, in the anime, there's a more consistent transition between silent and overwhelming to asshole loner strong guy; the manga seems more abrupt in that regard, mostly because the contrast doesn't seem to make sense with the kind of character Toyotaro established to start with.

In the anime, I think it makes more sense that this selfish and broken man could completely lose it when the only thing he's cared about fails him, which is ultimately why I think he's not only superior to the manga, but a legitimately likable and good character.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 am

HeroR wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:08 am It's true that Jiren didn't want to waste his time and energy on weaklings and left them up to his teammates. But overall, Jiren purposely left his teammates in the dust so he would be the sole one getting the Super Dragon Balls.

Actually, Jiren in the beginning of the manga did used teamwork since he team up with Dypso and even retreated when Dypso told him to when U4 attacked. And it's a little odd that he didn't want to destroy other universes to survived, but put himself in a position where he had to do exactly that since he let his own team get wrecked and left everything up to him. That and Anime Jiren believed in teamwork less than Manga Jiren to the point of seeing his team as pawn, and he still stopped Kale.

Also, Jiren was 'more active' than Anime Jiren, yet he somehow knocked out the exact same number of people as Anime Jiren.
??? He didn't team up with Dyspo. Dyspo told him something and then he just went off on his own. He refused help from Toppo against both Hit and Goku. Him retreating after Dyspo told him to be wary of something unknown is just common sense, and doesn't detract from his lack of faith in teamwork at the time.

As Belmod put it, Jiren had a wish he would place the sake of the universes above. It wasn't about risking his own life or his own universe because those clearly fell below the sake of other universes in his moral totem pole. It was his desire to bring back Gitcchin and obtain approval from him that was above anything else.

It was simply the idea of meditating in the middle of the ToP that made him really frustrating to me as a character. There are ways of prolonging conclusions but him literally just standing there waiting for a strong opponent in the middle of a tournament... nope.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Rakurai wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 am
HeroR wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:08 am It's true that Jiren didn't want to waste his time and energy on weaklings and left them up to his teammates. But overall, Jiren purposely left his teammates in the dust so he would be the sole one getting the Super Dragon Balls.

??? He didn't team up with Dyspo. Dyspo told him something and then he just went off on his own. He refused help from Toppo against both Hit and Goku. Him retreating after Dyspo told him to be wary of something unknown is just common sense, and doesn't detract from his lack of faith in teamwork at the time.

As Belmod put it, Jiren had a wish he would place the sake of the universes above. It wasn't about risking his own life or his own universe because those clearly fell below the sake of other universes in his moral totem pole. It was his desire to bring back Gitcchin and obtain approval from him that was above anything else.

It was simply the idea of meditating in the middle of the ToP that made him really frustrating to me as a character. There are ways of prolonging conclusions but him literally just standing there waiting for a strong opponent in the middle of a tournament... nope.
Toppo never fought Hit, Toppo fought Goku with Dypso and since Toppo beat Dypso in the manga, Jiren didn't need to help him. And having lack of faith in your team means, you wouldn't listen to them at all, let along listen to a retreat order.

Yeah, but Jiren purposely put himself in a position where he had to personally wipe out universe since he left his teammates to the dogs, despite saying 'I don't like wiping other universes' or 'I will return to my universe if something happened', which he purposely decreased his universe's survival by not helping his friends, even if he didn't trust them since the TOP can be won by numbers. Which is odd since Anime Jiren who is supposed to be a bigger asshole helped his team at least twice. Jiren's action didn't match what came out of his month.

He didn't stand there waiting for strong opponents. He literally said, 'there is no one strong enough to beat me'. To him, his job was done, he wasn't expecting some mystical strong person to face him. And it's still odd that despite Jiren doing this he still has as many knockouts as Manga Jiren who was actively fighting. Which begs the question, what the heck was Manga Jiren doing and gives the impression that he was being a busy idiot.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Wed May 15, 2019 4:32 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 am <snip>
This. All of this, is my exact thoughts on the topic.

It's also worth of note that Manga Jiren joined the already-existent superhero team "Pride Troopers", while in the anime they formed around him... which means that as much as he was an asshole, he was still going around his universe helping people.
He also got quite angry at #17 ruining his uniform, which suggests he DID feel a degree of companionship towards the Troopers but he buried it all to avoid feeling the desperation of losing someone yet again.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun May 19, 2019 12:55 am

I do not see any different ... to jiren in anime or manga for both cases. Jiren stayed there as if he did not care about the tournament since it was not a direct threat to which he was accustomed to deal with.
but I liked more the mystery that they added in the anime
with that of jiren looked for "what there was beyond the force" and thus acquiring an interest in goku as a warrior that exceeded its limits

Raimundo

Post by Raimundo » Wed May 22, 2019 10:03 pm

You’re not. He is a polarizing character but he is overall a pretty popular character introduced from Super

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 24, 2019 5:22 pm

I would’ve appreciated Jiren more if he actually came across as a genuine superhero who just happens to be someone Goku has to fight. Unfortunately, the series decided to make him this brooding, trash talking loner with an extremely cliché backstory, and an even more cliché philosophy that essentially boils down to “I don’t need anything but my own strength.”

In fairness, the manga actually did improve on this a bit by actually having Jiren do something heroic, and in general, making him slightly less of a jerk. Still, as a whole, Jiren feels like a missed opportunity of a character.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:43 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:22 pm I would’ve appreciated Jiren more if he actually came across as a genuine superhero who just happens to be someone Goku has to fight. Unfortunately, the series decided to make him this brooding, trash talking loner with an extremely cliché backstory, and an even more cliché philosophy that essentially boils down to “I don’t need anything but my own strength.”

In fairness, the manga actually did improve on this a bit by actually having Jiren do something heroic, and in general, making him slightly less of a jerk. Still, as a whole, Jiren feels like a missed opportunity of a character.
Isn’t the bolded essentially what Toppo was? At least in regards to his debut appearance and fight against Goku?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 24, 2019 6:24 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:43 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:22 pm I would’ve appreciated Jiren more if he actually came across as a genuine superhero who just happens to be someone Goku has to fight. Unfortunately, the series decided to make him this brooding, trash talking loner with an extremely cliché backstory, and an even more cliché philosophy that essentially boils down to “I don’t need anything but my own strength.”

Isn’t the bolded essentially what Toppo was? At least in regards to his debut appearance and fight against Goku?
Toppo in the anime seemed to walk the line between being a parody of superheroes (which the franchise has already done) to being a weird Punisher type character. Meanwhile, the manga version of him was just sort of there. I honestly don’t know what to say about Toppo.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun May 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Which was the original personality thought by TOEI for Jiren.
But then Toriyama told them Jiren was Batman, so they recycled his personality for Toppo-

Raimundo

Post by Raimundo » Mon May 27, 2019 3:03 am

What? Manga Jiren is as much of a douche as anime Jiren. Manga Niren has a scene of being heroic before the ToP but during it anime Jiren has more heroic moments than his manga counterpart
ankokudaishogun wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:42 pm
Which was the original personality thought by TOEI for Jiren.
But then Toriyama told them Jiren was Batman, so they recycled his personality for Toppo-
Jiren isn’t even Batman though. What motivates the two is completely different. Batman is becoming the Dark Knightbas a result of his parents death. Jiren is relying on one’s own strength and an inability to trust in other people as a result of abandonment.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Mon May 27, 2019 3:31 pm

Nokra wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:04 am I think I may be the only person in this entire fandom who thinks Jiren "The Grey" is a cool character. It seems no one else likes him besides me which is fine because I always seem to like things everyone hates like DB: Evolution, Spiderman 3 and Zamasu. So my question is am I the lone Jiren fan or are there others? :?:
I'm a Jiren fan too. It's unusual for Dragon Ball to explore a character who has undergone trauma (Freeza admitting that his defeat at Goku's hands gave him nightmares is another recent example), so it was definitely something fairly novel. To see a character so afraid of connecting with anyone that he's willing to make someone else go through the same loss he went through to understand him is something pretty interesting, I find. As Toppo himself said at the tournament's conclusion, Jiren wasn't just pursuing strength for its own sake, like Goku does: he was also doing it out of fear. He retreated into strength-building to cope with his emotional losses, swearing off any profound connection to anyone else so he wouldn't have to go through that same pain again.
Rakurai wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 pm I liked Jiren in his debut chapter in the manga. He showed a strong sense of justice to save the ppl before his talk with Toppo. And when he outright refused to get involved in the participation of other universe's destruction until the opportunity to get his wish. Conflict in one's beliefs always make for a more interesting character.
I liked that also, and I do wish we'd seen the more noble side of manga Jiren more. It sort of fell by the wayside later on.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon May 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Raimundo wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:03 am

What? Manga Jiren is as much of a douche as anime Jiren. Manga Niren has a scene of being heroic before the ToP but during it anime Jiren has more heroic moments than his manga counterpart
I can’t recall any moment in the anime of Jiren doing anything heroic. Also, I never said that Jiren wasn’t a jerk in the manga. I said he was less of a jerk than his anime counterpart, especially given that he never tried to murder Goku’s friends.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon May 27, 2019 7:32 pm

Gokitalo wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:31 pm
Nokra wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:04 am I think I may be the only person in this entire fandom who thinks Jiren "The Grey" is a cool character. It seems no one else likes him besides me which is fine because I always seem to like things everyone hates like DB: Evolution, Spiderman 3 and Zamasu. So my question is am I the lone Jiren fan or are there others? :?:
I'm a Jiren fan too. It's unusual for Dragon Ball to explore a character who has undergone trauma (Freeza admitting that his defeat at Goku's hands gave him nightmares is another recent example), so it was definitely something fairly novel. To see a character so afraid of connecting with anyone that he's willing to make someone else go through the same loss he went through to understand him is something pretty interesting, I find. As Toppo himself said at the tournament's conclusion, Jiren wasn't just pursuing strength for its own sake, like Goku does: he was also doing it out of fear. He retreated into strength-building to cope with his emotional losses, swearing off any profound connection to anyone else so he wouldn't have to go through that same pain again.
And when you add that he overcame that trauma by the end of the arc, you end up with a pretty interesting character for a following arc or a guest appearance. Well, at least Anime Jiren is. The dynamics of the Anime Pride Troopers have definitely changed.

Raimundo

Post by Raimundo » Tue May 28, 2019 3:59 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:15 pm
Raimundo wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:03 am

I can’t recall any moment in the anime of Jiren doing anything heroic. Also, I never said that Jiren wasn’t a jerk in the manga. I said he was less of a jerk than his anime counterpart, especially given that he never tried to murder Goku’s friends.
Actually stopping Kale whereas his manga counterpart just lets her fuck everyone up including attacking his own teammates is a pretty heroic thing tbh. He stops her before she does anything of that level. He lets his allies just fall in the manga and actually saved Dyspo in he anime. Those two things alone are legit more he’s done for his team than anything he did in the manga version

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed May 29, 2019 5:43 pm

I think he's okay, but he could do with more development and background with the Troopers.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed May 29, 2019 9:27 pm

Tbh, I am more interested in how Gicchin got killed by a demon, as well as his history with Belmod, and how Belmod got so strong that he became a GoD. Gicchin and that demon must've been pretty stacked too if Belmod and Jiren are on the level of GoDs. If they ever decide to explore Jiren, I hope they go more towards this route of storytelling.