Do you prefer the true version (or anime version) of these DBS events over the manga’s version? If so/not, why?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rebel_Yeh
Not-So-Newbie

Do you prefer the true version (or anime version) of these DBS events over the manga’s version? If so/not, why?

Post by Rebel_Yeh » Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm

I’m going to list several DBS differences between the manga version and the true version (by true version, I mean the anime version*). I have not listed differences from the BoG and RoF arcs of DBS, because I see the BoG and RoF movies as the true version of those arcs. I also didn’t feel there were really significant differences from the U6 arc of DBS. I am interested in knowing which versions of these events others prefer. Do you prefer the true version of the following DBS events over the manga version? If so/not, why?

Difference 1
Manga version: Goku is the one who uses the mafuba on Future Zamasu
True version: Future Trunks is the one who uses the mafuba on Future Zamasu

Difference 2
Manga version: Future Zeno erases the entire timeline of Future Trunks
True version: Future Zeno just erases all the universes of Future Trunks’ timeline instead of erasing the entire timeline itself

Difference 3
Manga version: Gohan wears the same uniform as Piccolo in the ToP (sans turban and cape)
True version: Gohan wears the same uniform as Goku in the ToP

Difference 4
Manga version: The Zeno exhibition match involves all of the Gods of Destruction
True version: The Zeno exhibition match involves three fighters from Universe 7 matched up against three fighters from Universe 9

Difference 5
Manga version: Ea is fully capable of understanding Mosco’s electronic sounds
True version: Ea is not capable of understanding Mosco’s electronic sounds, requiring Campani’s translation to help him understand

Difference 6
Manga version: Toppo’s match with Goku ends with Top defeating Goku by ring-out
True version: Toppo’s match with Goku ends in a draw

Difference 7
Manga version: Yamcha is considered as a tenth member by the U7 team
True version: Yamcha is never considered as a tenth member by the U7 team

Difference 8
Manga version: Hit fights alongside Goku against Jiren
True version: Hit fights by himself against Jiren

Difference 9
Manga version: Ribrianne considers Krillin to be exceptionally attractive
True version: Ribrianne considers Krillin to be highly unattractive

Difference 10
Manga version: Aniraza is a weakling who is easily defeated by Kale
True version: Aniraza is a powerhouse who gives Frieza, Android 17, Android 18, Vegeta, Goku, and Gohan a good amount of trouble.

Difference 11
Manga version: Gohan is eliminated when he and Kefla knock each other out of the ring
True version: Gohan is eliminated when he sacrifices himself to eliminate Dyspo, with the help of Frieza

Difference 12
Manga version: Kefla is the last Universe 6 fighter to be eliminated
True version: Saonel and Pirina are the last Universe 6 fighters to be eliminated, with Kefla being the third to last Universe 6 fighter to be eliminated instead

Difference 13
Manga version: Universe 3 and Universe 4 are erased very early in the ToP
True version: Universe 3 and Universe 4 stick around for quite a while, being erased very late in the ToP. They outlast even Universe 2 and Universe 6, which is extremely surprising because Universe 2 and Universe 6 are featured much, much more prominently in the ToP than Universe 3 and Universe 4.

Difference 14
Manga version: When Android 17 self-destructs, Android 18 is nonchalant over his supposed death
True version: When Android 17 self-destructs, Android 18 is distraught over his supposed death

Difference 15
Manga version: The fallen fighters are resurrected into the tournament stands
True version: The fallen fighters are resurrected into their respective universes

*I call the anime version the “true version” due to the anime being the main product and the manga acting as promotion for the anime.
Last edited by Rebel_Yeh on Wed May 22, 2019 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you prefer the true version (or anime version) of these DBS events over the manga’s version? If so/not, why?

Post by Rakurai » Tue May 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Bait thread.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you prefer the true version (or anime version) of these DBS events over the manga’s version? If so/not, why?

Post by Nokra » Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Bait thread.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Rakurai wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:42 pm Bait thread.
Nokra wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 pmBait thread.
If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 pm

I think the anime overall did a much better job with the TOP. This arc was simply too long and grand to draw, especially in the time Toyotaro was allowed to draw in. The anime managed to give each member of U7 and even members of other universes their moment to shine. The anime's fights for the most part were well done and leagues ahead of the manga's, especially the final battle.

The manga of course had its moments like Vegeta's fight with Beerus at the start and the 4 destroyers fighting each other but they weren't enough to make up for the lackluster tournament.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Tue May 21, 2019 8:07 pm

I strongly prefer the manga. I have the manga as my main DBS canon but I still enjoy the anime a lot.

Also, I have a bit of an unpopular opinion, that being that I much preferred manga's ToP over the anime's.
Hit's fighting style and character development, U6 Saiyans against Freeza, Ribrianne being much funnier and tolerable, Roshi giving a last lesson to his student that led to Goku learning UI, 17's and Freeza's strategic plan to save the day etc etc.

The only thing I disliked in the manga's ToP was Gohan vs Kefla and Kefla's concept in general. Gohan vs Kefla because it was glossed over and Kefla both anime and manga because I wanted Kale and Caulifla to develop on their own.

I was gonna say I disliked how rushed the ToP's ending was but the volume release saved the day by adding new much needed panels and pages including characters' reactions to being revived and Goku and Jiren having one last word before parting ways.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 pm

1. Manga

2. Anime

3. Don't really care

4. Manga

5. Again, don't care

6. Manga

7. Don't care

8. Manga

9. Don't care

10. Anime

11. Anime

12. Anime

13. Anime

14. Anime

15. Don't care
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue May 21, 2019 8:35 pm

Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pmAnother reason I prefer to use this term is because the anime is the product that will be relevant to future DBS merchandise, whether it’s manga, anime, video games, etc; the anime is the basis for other DBS-related products.
But that doesn't apply just to Dragon Ball Super, you know. The anime version (of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z) is what the marketing is heavily based on. Apart from some Dimps games (that take manga colors of techniques, Super Saiyan 2 yellow lightnings and other details), the majority of video-games and other merchandising stuff use the colors seen in the anime. So you can't really say that the anime of Dragon Ball Super is the "true version" (it isn't) based on that, otherwise it'd be the same as saying the anime version of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z is the "main product", and not Toriyama's manga.

Anyway, as for the thread's question: I'm inclined to choose Toei's version, though I liked seeing things like Beerus vs Champa (and got a glimpse of how it would be animated in Dragon Ball Heroes), Super Saiyan God Vegeta and another chance to see Vegeta using Super Saiyan 2. There was something in Toei's version that felt slightly more appealing to me.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:50 pm

1. Anime.
2. At the end of the day, it all amounts to the same thing.
3. Anime.
4. I honestly can go either way. It was cool seeing the Trio de Dangers go up against Buu, Gohan, and Goku. But the GoD battle royal was cool too.
5. Indifferent.
6. Anime.
7. Yamcha hasn't even trained since the Cell Games. So, why would he be considered? Anime here.
8. Hit and Goku are a bit too prideful to suddenly team up against Jiren. Considering how dire things need to be for Goku to work with Vegeta, whom he's known longer, I go anime on this.
9. You sure about that? Could have sworn she thought Krillin was quite the looker in the anime.
10. Anime. Aniraza being a heavy hitter like that was a fallback for the story.
11. Anime
12. My only issue with the two Nameks, is that I wish they had more of an impact. Neutral here.
13. Anime.
14. Anime. That's her freakin' brother. Even their evil counterparts reacted when the other was destroyed.
15. Either one can work for me, though seeing the jubilation of being alive for the other universes as a whole, was pretty good. Anime.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:00 pm
Rakurai wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:42 pm Bait thread.
Nokra wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 pmBait thread.
If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
And give the OP the time of day and satisfaction that he thinks he's right? When clearly he's trying to provoke certain reactions or troll users by using a word or phrase conveying absolute certainty or fact as "true version?"

Anime version is in no absolute terms the "true version" of the franchise and any DB fan who's sensible and reasonable should know this. Otherwise, DBZ anime is the true version instead of the manga since it's the most paraded in terms of advertising and merch. Otherwise, Shueisha would be using anime scenes to promote DBS instead of the manga. Otherwise, we would have gotten that DB tour timeline that contains the phrase "canonical sequel" with anime scenes and designs instead of the manga. Shueisha, the parent company of DB, uses both Toriyama and Toyotaro's manga to promote DBS more than the anime.

And now I just got baited.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed May 22, 2019 12:56 am

Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm I’m going to list several DBS differences between the manga version and the true version (by true version, I mean the anime version*). I have not listed differences from the BoG and RoF arcs of DBS, because I see the BoG and RoF movies as the true version of those arcs. I also didn’t feel there were really significant differences from the U6 arc of DBS. I am interested in knowing which versions of these events others prefer. Do you prefer the true version of the following DBS events over the manga version? If so/not, why?

Difference 1

Difference 2
True version: Future Zeno just erases all the universes of Future Trunks’ timeline instead of erasing the entire timeline itself

Difference 3
Manga version: Gohan wears the same uniform as Piccolo in the ToP (sans turban and cape)

Difference 4
Manga version: The Zeno exhibition match involves all of the Gods of Destruction
True version: The Zeno exhibition match involves three fighters from Universe 7 matched up against three fighters from Universe 9

Difference 5
True version: Ea is not capable of understanding Mosco’s electronic sounds, requiring Campani’s translation to help him understand

Difference 6

Difference 7

Difference 8

Difference 9

Difference 10
True version: Aniraza is a powerhouse who gives Frieza, Android 17, Android 18, Vegeta, Goku, and Gohan a good amount of trouble.

Difference 11
Manga version: Gohan is eliminated when he and Kefla knock each other out of the ring
True version: Gohan is eliminated when he sacrifices himself to eliminate Dyspo, with the help of Frieza

Difference 12
True version: Saonel and Pirina are the last Universe 6 fighters to be eliminated, with Kefla being the third to last Universe 6 fighter to be eliminated instead

Difference 13
True version: Universe 3 and Universe 4 stick around for quite a while, being erased very late in the ToP. They outlast even Universe 2 and Universe 6, which is extremely surprising because Universe 2 and Universe 6 are featured much, much more prominently in the ToP than Universe 3 and Universe 4.

Difference 14
Manga version: When Android 17 self-destructs, Android 18 is nonchalant over his supposed death
True version: When Android 17 self-destructs, Android 18 is distraught over his supposed death

Difference 15
True version: The fallen fighters are resurrected into their respective universes

*I call the anime version the “true version” due to the anime being the main product and the manga acting as promotion for the anime. Another reason I prefer to use this term is because the anime is the product that will be relevant to future DBS merchandise, whether it’s manga, anime, video games, etc; the anime is the basis for other DBS-related products.

I generally prefer the anime when it comes to the TOP arc
better character development, more interesting interactions, teamwork and the fights are great and even with new skills and techniques that had not been seen in the series before

the team of the universe 6 is better in the anime and how they improved as warriors to know the universe 7. everything opposite to the manga the fight with frieza may seem good idea but only that, because it is a disaster in many aspects but not as bad as gohan vs kefla the most empty fight I've seen I did not like what they did with saonel, prina and anilaza
the only thing that I think the manga was superior is in terms of comedy with ribrianne and probably the fights of the gods but for me it was not enough, the anime version is better.
Last edited by Tai Lung on Wed May 22, 2019 1:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rebel_Yeh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rebel_Yeh » Wed May 22, 2019 1:05 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:35 pmSo you can't really say that the anime of Dragon Ball Super is the "true version" (it isn't) based on that, otherwise it'd be the same as saying the anime version of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z is the "main product", and not Toriyama's manga.
Hmm, good point. I won’t use that reasoning anymore then. Very well, my argument is one sentence now: The DBS anime is the “true version” based on its “main product” status. But anyway, I would have thought Toriyama’s original DB manga, not just the DBZ anime, would be popular enough to have some marketing based on it. Isn’t that the case with One-Piece?
Rakurai wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 pm Anime version is in no absolute terms the "true version" of the franchise and any DB fan who's sensible and reasonable should know this.
It looks like we’ll have to agree to disagree. What’s important to me is that Super was conceived as an anime. You haven’t addressed the original topic, though.

Rebel_Yeh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rebel_Yeh » Wed May 22, 2019 1:14 am

Tai Lung wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:56 amI generally prefer the anime when it comes to the TOP arc
better character development, more interesting interactions, teamwork and the fights are great and even with new skills and techniques that had not been seen in the series before

the team of the universe 6 is better in the anime and how they improved as warriors to know the universe 7. everything opposite to the manga the fight with frieza may seem good idea but only that, because it is a disaster in many aspects but not as bad as gohan vs kefla the most empty fight I've seen I did not like what they did with saonel, prina and anilaza
the only thing that I think the manga was superior is in terms of comedy with ribrianne and probably the fights of the gods but for me it was not enough, the anime version seemed to me is surpass by much.
I fully agree with this. My biggest gripe with the Gohan vs Kefla fight was that Gohan was somehow going toe to toe with Kefla in his base form.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed May 22, 2019 8:51 am

Of the differences you listed, I prefer the anime for everything except for these two instances:

Difference 1: Goku is the one who uses the Mafuba on Zamasu.
I think it made more sense for Goku to be the one sealing Zamasu considering he escaped to the past for the very reason of learning the Mafuba, so I prefer the manga’s “payoff” to that training, even if in the end it amounted to nothing.
Although I am indifferent for the anime’s version events as I liked Trunks’ and Mai’s dialogue when they were sealing off Zamasu, and I must admit that the gag of Piccolo doing a tutorial for the Mafuba was quite funny.

Difference 9: Ribrianne considers Krillin to be exceptionally attractive.
I liked this gag a lot, it was more unexpected than what happened in the anime.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 am

Rebel_Yeh wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:05 am
Rakurai wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 pm Anime version is in no absolute terms the "true version" of the franchise and any DB fan who's sensible and reasonable should know this.
It looks like we’ll have to agree to disagree. What’s important to me is that Super was conceived as an anime. You haven’t addressed the original topic, though.
There's nothing to disagree with here. We have official statements confirming the authenticity and legitimacy of the manga as a real sequel.

魔人ブウ編の”その後”を描いた、の「ドラゴンボール」の正統続編 (lit. legitimate sequel)

If Toriyama's original manga is the canonical/legitimate/true DB, then Toyotarou's manga is the canonical/legitimate/true sequel to it. Also, noticing that nobody on this thread calls the anime the "true" version.

As for the OP.

1. Manga
2. It's the same thing. There's no difference, he erases all of the timeline in both media.
3. Manga
4. Manga
5. Don't care
6. Manga
7. Manga
8. Manga
9. Don't care
10. Anime
11. Don't care
12. Manga
13. Don't care
14. Manga
15. Don't care

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 22, 2019 11:32 am

Rakurai wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 pmAnd give the OP the time of day and satisfaction that he thinks he's right? When clearly he's trying to provoke certain reactions or troll users by using a word or phrase conveying absolute certainty or fact as "true version?"
Every single post garners additional posts, when it otherwise would just be harmless crazies shouting into the void, quickly shuffled to the next page and forgotten. Gotta pick your battles.

As for the sequel/canonical/etc. monikers, reminder that Jake and I did an updated version of this discussion back on podcast episode 457, which of course includes the aforementioned example.

(The North America Tour / Tokyo Skytree display is talked about beginning at 21:40, but I would encourage you to listen to the whole thing to understand the context for when we get to that part.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Rebel_Yeh wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:05 amHmm, good point. I won’t use that reasoning anymore then. Very well, my argument is one sentence now: The DBS anime is the “true version” based on its “main product” status. But anyway, I would have thought Toriyama’s original DB manga, not just the DBZ anime, would be popular enough to have some marketing based on it.
No, Dragon Ball merchandising would "feel" very different if they marketed stuff based on the manga. There are a lot of differences and details between what is seen in the anime and in the manga. Luckily, you can kinda "feel" that if you take a look at Dragon Ball Online (it would be even better if you get to play it somehow), as it is actually based on the manga and much of what I'm talking about can be seen/"felt" in there.

See Super Saiyan God Vegeta as another example, he first appeared a couple of years ago in the manga, but only now he's being heavily marketed, all because of his recent animated appearance (and thanks to that, we're gonna get him in XV2!). They have always put a lot of emphasis on what appears on-screen and only use manga stuff for easter-egg, references or lack of content.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed May 22, 2019 1:28 pm

Rakurai wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 am If Toriyama's original manga is the canonical/legitimate/true DB, then Toyotarou's manga is the canonical/legitimate/true sequel to it. Also, noticing that nobody on this thread calls the anime the "true" version.
that does not make sense, because the movies are canon .. not only the manga
the manga of toyotaro is incomplete and is advertising

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/07/01/d ... ries-plot/

Anyway I do not see the point of discussing that here really ..

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Wed May 22, 2019 3:00 pm

Yeah, I prefer the anime overall, but the manga has little details that I just adore as well. The scaling of the manga, SSG being more used, the SSG-Blue variation, CSSB, Black having SSj, etc.

What I do particularly dislike is the amazing and not at all subtle bias that Toyotaro have for Vegeta, it's really easy to see him as a creator's pet. That isn't bad in itself, see the trashing he gave Black for example, but it happens so much it hurts, and usually at the expense of the plot or other characters.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Wed May 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm
Difference 1

Difference 2

Difference 3

Difference 4

Difference 5

Difference 6

Difference 7

Difference 8

Difference 9

Difference 10

Difference 11

Difference 12

Difference 13

Difference 14

Difference 15
1. Manga for sure. Goku was the one who trained for it, Trunks had no time to actually master the technique.

2. It's the same, so it doesn't matter.

3. Manga. That is something I liked, despite not making aaaall that much sense for his current character.

4. Manga. The GoD battle royale was a beautiful idea, but the execution could have been better.

5. Manga. Ea is a fellow god, and Mosco's "partner", it stands to reason that he learned how to understand him.

6. Anime, but only in the sense that it was a "draw", not the execution itself. Goku should have had trouble with Toppo during a more extended fight, only for him to reveal that Jiren is much stronger than he is. The anime version showed Blue Goku dominating the fight before it was cut short.

7. Manga. The anime used that scene as a gag since the fans like to joke that Yamcha is useless. But it would be on character for Goku to consider all the fighters that he knows of.

8. Both are great, and both have diffetent contexts.

9. Manga. The anime should have gone with that, too. Ribrianne had a very different concept of beauty, which served to subverse the mahou shoujo tropes she was a living parody of.

10. Anime. Anilaza was pretty interesting and felt like a genuine threat, something that was lacking from the other universes.

11. Anime. Gohan ko'ing Kefla was simply ridiculous, and anime Dyspo IS a powerhouse.

12. Manga. Kefla should have been the final elimination, fitting for her role as the final boss from U6.

13. Anime. Universe 3 gave us Anilaza after all. U4 though, who cares? Quitela is the only real interesting character from there.

14. Manga. She knew he didn't have the bomb anymore, which meant he couldn't self destruct like that, hence she played along with it.

15. Anime. The manga version MAKES sense, but I liked the shots from the other universes.