Do you prefer the true version (or anime version) of these DBS events over the manga’s version? If so/not, why?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rebel_Yeh
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Do you prefer the true version (or anime version) of these DBS events over the manga’s version? If so/not, why?

Post by Rebel_Yeh » Sat May 25, 2019 2:58 pm

Ok, looking over all the posts so far*, it seems most of the users on this thread prefer:

1. Goku being the one (rather than Future Trunks) to use the mafuba on Future Zamasu

2. Gohan wearing Piccolo’s uniform (rather than Goku’s uniform) in the ToP

3. The Zeno Expo match involving all the Gods of Destruction (rather than three fighters from Universe 7 and three fighters from Universe 9)

4. Ea being able to fully understand Mosco’s electronic sounds (rather than needing Campani’s translation to understand them)

5. Toppo’s match with Goku ending in a draw (rather than ending with Toppo winning)

6. Yamcha being considered as a tenth member by the U7 team (rather than not being considered at all)

7. Hit fighting by himself (rather than alongside Goku) against Jiren

8. Ribrianne considering Krillin exceptionally attractive (rather than highly unattractive)

9. Aniraza being a powerhouse who gives Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, Gohan, Android 17, and Android 18 a good amount of trouble (rather than being a weakling who is easily defeated by Kale)

10. Gohan sacrificing himself to eliminate Dyspo with the help of Frieza (rather than getting eliminated by Kefla in a double knockout)

11. Saonel and Pirina being the last Universe 6 fighters to be eliminated (rather than Kefla being the last Universe 6 fighter to be eliminated)

12. Universes 3 and 4 being eliminated very late in the ToP, and outlasting the much more prominently featured Universes 2 and 6 (rather than being eliminated very early in the ToP)

13. Android 18 being nonchalant (rather than distraught) over Android 17’s supposed death when he self-destructs

14. The fallen fighters being resurrected into their respective universes (rather than the stands)

*Several users have said that Zeno erases Future Trunks’ entire timeline in both versions, not just the manga. I rewatched the episode in question, and the dialogue among the characters after the fact does seem to indicate that he did in fact erase the entire timeline. There were six time rings in Gowasu’s box at the end of the episode, but a sixth ring being in the box apparently represents the timeline where two Future Trunks’ and two Future Mais are living alongside each other, not Future Trunks’ timeline as I previously believed. So I guess the list should consist of 14 differences, not 15 as in my thread’s first post .

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you prefer the true version (or anime version) of these DBS events over the manga’s version? If so/not, why?

Post by Gokitalo » Sat May 25, 2019 8:44 pm

I'm going to pick out some of the bigger differences for me from the original post and go through them individually. Hope this format's alright!
Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm
Difference 3
Manga version: Gohan wears the same uniform as Piccolo in the ToP (sans turban and cape)
True version: Gohan wears the same uniform as Goku in the ToP
I thought Gohan wearing a version of Piccolo's uniform in the manga version was a nice touch, but considering how little we saw of him in that version of the tournament, it almost seemed like a bit of a waste, IMO.
Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm Difference 4
Manga version: The Zeno exhibition match involves all of the Gods of Destruction
True version: The Zeno exhibition match involves three fighters from Universe 7 matched up against three fighters from Universe 9
I go back and forth. The first time around, I much preferred seeing the Exhibition Match of Destroyers, since we actually got to see a bit of what they can do. When I saw the anime exhibition match for the second time, though, I did admire it more, since the Trio de Dangers had some unique techniques and it's the most we see of them in either tournament. Plus we got to see Boo fight for the first time in a while!
Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm
Difference 7
Manga version: Yamcha is considered as a tenth member by the U7 team
True version: Yamcha is never considered as a tenth member by the U7 team
Ha, poor Yamcha. While I did like the comedic mileage they got out of Yamcha not being considered in the anime, and I do like Roshi's unique move set (and us finally getting a bit of an explanation regarding why he seems stronger now), let's face it... logistically, it makes more sense for the gang to go to Yamcha first, right? Even if he hasn't trained for a while. Plus, we could've gotten a new variation of the Sokidan, since the anime ToP introduced quite a few cool twists on classic techniques.
Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm Difference 8
Manga version: Hit fights alongside Goku against Jiren
True version: Hit fights by himself against Jiren
Tough call. I did very much like seeing the two friendly rivals team up in the manga, but I thought Hit's anime fight with Jiren was very good. The various uses of his time powers were quite cool.
Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm Difference 9
Manga version: Ribrianne considers Krillin to be exceptionally attractive
True version: Ribrianne considers Krillin to be highly unattractive
Tough one, also! I liked the manga version because it showed how standards of beauty can differ between worlds and universes, but the anime version fit very well into Universe 2's overall arc in the anime ToP, which was about learning what REAL love was (including No. 18 and Krillin's love for each other and the love the citizens of U2 felt for their champions).
Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm Difference 10
Manga version: Aniraza is a weakling who is easily defeated by Kale
True version: Aniraza is a powerhouse who gives Frieza, Android 17, Android 18, Vegeta, Goku, and Gohan a good amount of trouble.
Aniraza was so cool in the anime. For me, the ToP was all about high stakes and formidable opponents facing off, so anime Aniraza wins for me, hands down.
Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm Difference 11
Manga version: Gohan is eliminated when he and Kefla knock each other out of the ring
True version: Gohan is eliminated when he sacrifices himself to eliminate Dyspo, with the help of Frieza
Gohan vs. Kefla was not the epic battle I was expecting, plus I figure Kefla ought to be a good deal stronger than him? The anime version worked better for me, and I loved seeing Gohan's unexpected matchup with Freeza. If Gohan were much meaner, he'd make a good recruit for Freeza's legions...
Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm Difference 12
Manga version: Kefla is the last Universe 6 fighter to be eliminated
True version: Saonel and Pirina are the last Universe 6 fighters to be eliminated, with Kefla being the third to last Universe 6 fighter to be eliminated instead
In terms of strength, you'd figure it'd make more sense for Kefla to fall last, but in the chaos of an event like the ToP, I like how the anime went against expectations. Plus it made Saonel's and Pirina's situation more poignant: they knew they were much weaker, but were determined to give it their all anyway. Their showdown against Gohan and Piccolo is one of my favorite episodes, actually.
Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm Difference 13
Manga version: Universe 3 and Universe 4 are erased very early in the ToP
True version: Universe 3 and Universe 4 stick around for quite a while, being erased very late in the ToP. They outlast even Universe 2 and Universe 6, which is extremely surprising because Universe 2 and Universe 6 are featured much, much more prominently in the ToP than Universe 3 and Universe 4.
Anime version all the way. When there's 80 fighters in a tournament, you want to see what they can do. Sure, you could argue, "But the tournament was only 48 minutes!" to which I'd direct you to those infamous "five" minutes on Namek during the Freeza Saga...
Rebel_Yeh wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm Difference 14
Manga version: When Android 17 self-destructs, Android 18 is nonchalant over his supposed death
True version: When Android 17 self-destructs, Android 18 is distraught over his supposed death
Anime version. Even though nonchalant is sort of what 17 and 18 do, seeing 18 mourn her brother's presumed demise shows she's grown as a character, I'd say.

Another major difference I'd like to add is Beerus' reaction to Universe 6 being erased in the anime vs. his reaction in the manga. To me, his anime reaction, where he's clearly mournful but can't bring himself to show it, lines up more with what we had seen previously of his relationship with his brother in both the manga and anime (namely in the U6 vs. U7 tournament finale, where Beerus gives Champa that little gift, despite their rivalry). Champa's goodbye in the anime-- that playful face he made at Beerus-- fits better with their relationship, too. They may be hyper-competitive, but they do care about each other deep down, and neither of them really wanted each other destroyed. All their dialogue suggesting otherwise was just them bickering/competing, as some brothers tend to do.