Return of Brutal fights in dragon ball super 2

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Return of Brutal fights in dragon ball super 2

Post by Dragono » Fri May 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Throughout the original manga, toriyama had no brakes when it comes to showing graphic violence. Exploding guts, neck snapping, dismembered limbs and just one sided thrash downs.

Like the fight is controversial, but the balls to make videl vs spopovich as viscous as it was especially in the manga just shows how little care toriyama had for going easy.

However, we live in different times and well super has lacked that grit. Now this doesn't make super bad or worse but it does show a clear difference in the 2 series.

Do you think we will ever see that same level f violence again.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Re: Return of Brutal fights in dragon ball super 2

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri May 24, 2019 10:36 pm

Not a chance. toei decided to censor it for "kids" even thought db and dbz were plenty popular around the world :roll:

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:03 pm

Stop calling it Dragon Ball Super 2. It’s simply just Dragon Ball Super.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:36 am

No. But i really couldn’t care less. The only thing that annoys me is how to substitute for blood, every character just ends up vomiting or coughing up saliva instead which comes off as weird sometimes. A little blood won’t do any harm
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 25, 2019 10:41 am

This won't happen. The project in question is undoubtedly going to be made for the lowest common denominator, rather than audiences baring our taste.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Sat May 25, 2019 11:01 am

Are we going to pretend it didn't already have brutality.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:04 am

Yeah, Dragon Ball Super is not that violent. If you ignore Black stabbing Vegeta in the chest along with bleeding effect, or Trunks cleaving Zamasu in half while the flesh of half of his body was literally melting.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:43 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:04 am Yeah, Dragon Ball Super is not that violent. If you ignore Black stabbing Vegeta in the chest along with bleeding effect, or Trunks cleaving Zamasu in half while the flesh of half of his body was literally melting.
Still not enough. And the blood scene is pathetic.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 25, 2019 5:06 pm

Blood seems to be something won’t come back or will just appear every once and then like in Super.
But if they could bring back bones being broken, that could also add some brutality without showing blood and gore.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Sat May 25, 2019 9:53 pm

I don’t know why people keep talking about Dragon Ball like it was Berserk-level gruesome or something.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 25, 2019 10:03 pm

theTUN wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:53 pm I don’t know why people keep talking about Dragon Ball like it was Berserk-level gruesome or something.
Kids were getting their necks broken and gore was used quite often for extremity. It's hardly a surprise that a fun element of the franchise is now missed.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:56 am

Yeah, I don't see blood brutality or gore ever returning to the franchise in animation form. Broly featured literally zero instances of blood when it could've featured many, along with the Tournament of Power.

We could possibly get a couple episodes of blood randomly, but that's about it from what I assume.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Sun May 26, 2019 10:08 am

The manga has had some gruesome moments in the recent Moro arc. As for the anime, I think Japan's censorship rules have become a little stricter in recent years, right?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun May 26, 2019 12:18 pm

Gokitalo wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:08 am The manga has had some gruesome moments in the recent Moro arc. As for the anime, I think Japan's censorship rules have become a little stricter in recent years, right?
Pretty much. Even things like severed limbs and laser holes through bodies is pushing it for a show like DBS in the kind of time slot and target audience it's centered around.

Manga doesn't have the same kind of restrictions, which is why Toriyama's own original manga was so much more graphic than the original anime adaptation even at the time.

Unless DBS is moved to a different time slot to target a different age bracket, we likely aren't gonna get much more brutality in the fights. Now, there ARE creative ways to get around this, but that requires some really outside-the-box thinking.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:23 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:18 pm
Gokitalo wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:08 am The manga has had some gruesome moments in the recent Moro arc. As for the anime, I think Japan's censorship rules have become a little stricter in recent years, right?
Pretty much. Even things like severed limbs and laser holes through bodies is pushing it for a show like DBS in the kind of time slot and target audience it's centered around.

Manga doesn't have the same kind of restrictions, which is why Toriyama's own original manga was so much more graphic than the original anime adaptation even at the time.

Unless DBS is moved to a different time slot to target a different age bracket, we likely aren't gonna get much more brutality in the fights. Now, there ARE creative ways to get around this, but that requires some really outside-the-box thinking.
It's just odd, because while Kai (in the same time-slot as Super) featured censored Z scenes, it still had a ton of blood still remaining.

I get that Dragon Ball is an insanely popular brand and series internationally, but zero blood at all? Not even red scratches at this point (Super: Broly)? Idk man.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:05 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:03 pm
theTUN wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:53 pm I don’t know why people keep talking about Dragon Ball like it was Berserk-level gruesome or something.
Kids were getting their necks broken and gore was used quite often for extremity. It's hardly a surprise that a fun element of the franchise is now missed.
And those things were still tone down from the manga. That and acting like Super was completely clean is another extreme point since Super had stuff like Freeza blowing people up via Fist of the North Star, a scene which would never had blood even in the 90s.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:50 am

All I want is blood to come back.