Dragon Ball Super To Air in the UK on Pop!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

superfan2024
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super To Air in the UK on Pop!

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:13 pm

Is the series on hiatus on Pop right now?

Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:35 pm

Its still airing and it still scores well in ratings. It just isnt airing new episodes.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:59 am

Episode 36: https://streamable.com/h46h7
Same old. Death references, swearing/rudeness and Bulma's throttling.

And after that, I decided that doing comprehensive dialogue comparisons was too much of a time sink and that we already have a very good idea of what the differences are. Finding actual cuts is much easier because you can simply line them up in an editor (after reversing/applying the PAL speedup) and scroll to where where they drift apart. I had hoped that there would be a semi-automatic way of doing this for the audio, but there isn't, so I'd been watching the full episode with both tracks playing (I had planned to line the audio up and invert one of the tracks, but this didn't work, presumably due to the downmixing and pitch correction not matching closely enough). I'll still be looking at what was cut, but the dialogue will be more of a skim-watch now.

Episode 37-39: https://streamable.com/omniv
  • Forever Dreaming is the Funi version, except for Episode 38/40 where it's kept Japanese.
  • 38's name is changed to accommodate Hit being "enforcer".
  • The more brutal attacks are toned down, again mostly close ups and prolonged attacks.
  • Vegeta coughing up blood and Goku leaving a mark Hit's cheek are cut, but blood smears can be seen in other shots.
  • Some re-wording to follow "excessive force" over "killing".
  • Vegeta's threat to Cabba is toned down and Whis' description of Hit's job is made less direct. Using "bounties" over targets implies that he only goes after criminals.
  • Goku's description of the Kaio Ken is changed for some reason. I assume this wasn't an intentional change.
  • A pre-recorded continuity announcer talked over the end of Goku vs Hit, coming in before the Narrator's last line.

Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Weird, people ALWAYS complain there is no blood on Super...but there it is!
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

wjbraden
Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:10 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:13 pm
Weird, people ALWAYS complain there is no blood on Super...but there it is!
And that's about the extent of it, other than a scene or two in the Future Trunks arc I believe.

You know though, it's pretty strange how bloodless DBS is in comparison to One Piece, especially since they aired side-by-side on Fuji TV. Some speculate that it's because OP has censorship standards that are "grandfathered" in somehow. But considering lots of other daytime kids/teens anime still have blood and violence in them, I'm leaning more towards the fact that DBS is marketed more towards international children's broadcasters (like Pop! here) than OP is, and so the toned-down violence is Toei's way of catering to their overseas clientele. *Still, Toei could have made two versions of the show, sort of like the Final Chapters of Kai, one with blood and whatnot that could run on TV in Japan and places like Adult Swim in the US, and another for kids channels like Pop, but we all know that Kai was a one off thing and that Toei is too lazy to do something like that.*
Last edited by wjbraden on Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:16 pm

You are very much correct, pal.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:16 pm

Pop starts the second "Series/Season" (#67 onward) on Monday.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:18 am

Any new edits?