Dragon Ball Super To Air in the UK on Pop!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

2quid

Re: Dragon Ball Super To Air in the UK on Pop!

Post by 2quid » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:33 am

Just to go on from Cure Dragon's point about the Disney Channels, most recently Pop and Disney Channel both had the same audience share (13%).

It's entirely likely that Pop can eat into Disney XDs share, but I wouldn't put it past Nick/CN/CBBC to gobble it up. Either way Pop is in a good position.

But none of this offsets the problem that in the UK more and more children would rather watch Kinder Egg unboxing videos than linear TV
> Spends 10 years lurking on Ocean Kai threads

"You're basically a TV Exec"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:49 am

I dont think there is any need to doomsay. Super is doing fine and sure, we ARE in the twilight of linear television, but as long as its loved by children I think Dragon Ball will endure.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

2quid

Post by 2quid » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:41 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:49 am I dont think there is any need to doomsay. Super is doing fine and sure, we ARE in the twilight of linear television, but as long as its loved by children I think Dragon Ball will endure.
It's not that I'm doomsaying, and certainly not about Dragon ball, the popularity of this franchise will likely always endure in some way or another, it's the wider trends of kids' viewing habits. With the right parental oversight, it's totally possible for young kids (under 5s) to have a similar level of quality content from Netflix/Youtube now that 5 year olds in 2010 would get from Cbeebies/Tiny Pop, but as many people know, that parental oversight isn't consistently there and that's not entirely a parent's fault. Youtube especially has such poor quality control which is ridiculous considering it's now the tv channel of choice for the pre school range. The whole point about dedicated Kids tv was a supposed safe space that parents could entrust their kids with while their eyes were averted.

I just think if streaming services want to replace kids tv - and they really have for the current pre school kids - then they should strive for similar quality control. I'm just not sure what's going to happen with future generations considering there's little to no playground bonding over the next episode of a hit show, there would just not be as much to reminisce on for them. I at least know that it's highly likely someone of a similar age to me grew up watching the same shows and we would at least have that as an icebreaker, I'm not quite sure random youtube challenge videos carry the same weight at all.

Edit: So perhaps I am doomsaying but not about Dragonball

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:10 am

I see. But fret not for Dragon ball has once again appeared in the Top 15!

11 DRAGON BALL SUPER (SUN 19:01) Pop Total COLUMBIA PICTURES CORPORATION 75,900 0 0 0 75,900
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:20 am

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/sony ... 234972645/

The channel has been acquired by a USA Company.

2quid

Post by 2quid » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:49 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:20 am https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/sony ... 234972645/

The channel has been acquired by a USA Company.
This really doesn't inspire confidence in me, as from the article it seems streaming is the direction they want to take the channels but Pop and Tiny Pop have bucked the trend of EVERY kids channel by improving year on year rather than declining, in terms of ratings anyway. If they were to focus on streaming without the massive financial backing Sony could give to the channels in the form of an ad campaign, it will fail badly. For right now, streaming should be complimentary to the Pop channels, not the priority, the brand just can not compete right now with youtube videos and Netflix shows

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:55 am

I think Pop just had its biggest week yet last week with 256,000 viewers! And Dragon Ball Super earned the Top 3 spot with 108,600!!!

2quid

Post by 2quid » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:23 pm

I'd just like to bump this to say, I've changed my opinion on narrative entertainment, I've just found out that it's made up of a bunch of old CSC Media Group people, which is fantastic really! I feel like this opens a whole lot more opportunity for communication with them, and hopefully they work hard to regain some of the lost goodwill during the Sony years. I've already noticed that Pop Max is becoming more action/anime oriented recently, especially from how it was during the Sony years.

Also, they're hiring for a ton of positions right now, if anyone is interested.

Hopefully 2022 brings us good news!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:42 pm

...You got hired by them, Didnt you?

... Just kidding. If you were hired I AM MEGA ULTRA HAPPY FOR YOU!

2quid

Post by 2quid » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:58 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:42 pm ...You got hired by them, Didnt you?

... Just kidding. If you were hired I AM MEGA ULTRA HAPPY FOR YOU!
I wish, I'm still studying right now. It would be fantastic if I was though

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:03 am

Pop is now the highest rated kids linear channel in the UK. And I am so glad. It still has lots of viewers for the twilight of Linear Television.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:19 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:03 am Pop is now the highest rated kids linear channel in the UK. And I am so glad. It still has lots of viewers for the twilight of Linear Television.
I wonder would Pop ever consider airing other Dragon Ball series now, like Kai? They must have exhausted Super by now, and I know anime can be expensive to license, but surely the kids who watched Super on their channel are hungry for more Dragon Ball.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:16 am

https://www.toei-animation.com/bandai-n ... d-kingdom/

Wow I cant believe Pop UK is so passionate about DBS. But its no surprise, kids in the UK are actually used to short series being rerun ENDLESSLY like Bagpuss that only had 13 episodes and was rerun for years. so a 130 episode series must be awesome for them. And much like Grupo Vierci in Paraguay this is a "Look what a good licensee we are Toei!" thing. They will definitely get Daima... if The BBC wont get it first.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:50 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:16 am They will definitely get Daima... if The BBC wont get it first.
I'm guessing Daima will premier worldwide on Crunchyroll. Maybe if it surpasses expectations TOEI will put it on TV, but I suspect the plan is for it to initially be a web series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: