Dragon Ball Super To Air in the UK on Pop!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball Super To Air in the UK on Pop!

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:28 pm

AWESOMESAUCE! I cant believe it finally came! This is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qz14su9VgE
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Super To Air in the UK on Pop!

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:31 am

This is pretty awesome! I think it's fair to assume that this will be the edited dub that airs in Africa and Australia. I wonder if any of our UK friends on the forum would be up to recording it so we can finally have the edited version archived.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:50 am

I'll be honest; I'm a little disappointed it's the Funi dub. :lol:

Still, the channel's owned by Sony, so I guess it's to be expected. Though that didn't stop me from sending them an email asking them about the possibility of airing Ocean and/or Bang Zoom dubs of Dragon Ball material, rather than Funi's. (For anyone interested, their general email address is info@popfun.co.uk)

Anyway, regardless of anything else, it'll be nice to have some Dragon Ball airing in the UK again, and unlike the US, it's actually airing in its proper place; a network targetted towards kids.
OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:31 am This is pretty awesome! I think it's fair to assume that this will be the edited dub that airs in Africa and Australia. I wonder if any of our UK friends on the forum would be up to recording it so we can finally have the edited version archived.
That would be nice. The TV edits of Funi's dubs haven't been properly captured. There's a really crappy cap of the Nicktoons Funi Kai 1.0 edit, but really nothing past that. And material before that is equally full of holes; none of Funi's edited DB dub has been preserved. I don't think GT has either.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:46 pm

It'll be interesting to see how much of the violence will be toned down or just cut out. But beggars can't be choosers. I'm happy to have some kind of Dragon Ball content on UK TV.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:10 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:31 am This is pretty awesome! I think it's fair to assume that this will be the edited dub that airs in Africa and Australia. I wonder if any of our UK friends on the forum would be up to recording it so we can finally have the edited version archived.
I'm pretty sure there are people archiving the Australian run.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:10 pm
I'm pretty sure there are people archiving the Australian run.
Wow, really? I hadn't heard about anyone trying to record it so I just assumed nobody was doing it, haha.

My YouTube

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:25 am

To be fair, I think this version will be more cut than Australia's but that's always interesting to see unfold. Also Pop is one the highest rated kids channel in the UK. The exposure this will give to the series is very much welcome.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:14 am

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:50 am I'll be honest; I'm a little disappointed it's the Funi dub. :lol:

Still, the channel's owned by Sony, so I guess it's to be expected. Though that didn't stop me from sending them an email asking them about the possibility of airing Ocean and/or Bang Zoom dubs of Dragon Ball material, rather than Funi's. (For anyone interested, their general email address is info@popfun.co.uk)
I understand asking about Ocean Kai as that remains unseen, but Bang Zoom Super? From what I've seen of it it's pretty mediocre at best, and has already been made available online. And there's also the fact that it's an incomplete dub. If you had Ocean Kai, then Bang Zoom Super, it would have to switch to Funimaton Super eventually anyway.

That would be 3 different casts that new young fans would have to get used to, which could be really jarring for them. I'm still fond of the old Cartoon Network/CNX/Toonami UK broadcasts, but have to admit they where something of a nightmare with all the dub switches i.e. Ocean, Funimation, Blue Water, and Big Green. A consistent voice cast all the way would be much better in my opinion.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:35 am

90sDBZ wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:14 am
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:50 am I'll be honest; I'm a little disappointed it's the Funi dub. :lol:

I understand asking about Ocean Kai as that remains unseen, but Bang Zoom Super? From what I've seen of it it's pretty mediocre at best, and has already been made available online. And there's also the fact that it's an incomplete dub. If you had Ocean Kai, then Bang Zoom Super, it would have to switch to Funimaton Super eventually anyway.

That would be 3 different casts that new young fans would have to get used to, which could be really jarring for them. I'm still fond of the old Cartoon Network/CNX/Toonami UK broadcasts, but have to admit they where something of a nightmare with all the dub switches i.e. Ocean, Funimation, Blue Water, and Big Green. A consistent voice cast all the way would be much better in my opinion.
I mean presumably if Pop hypothetically aired the 26 episodes of Bang Zoom Super and they did well they could order more episodes to be dubbed, but Funimation is so far ahead now I don't think enough people wouls care. Granted Ocean only dubbed Kai 1.0 themselves but since The Final Chapters is technically a separate show a better case for consistency could be made even if it meant we only got Funi for everything after Cell.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:29 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:35 am
90sDBZ wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:14 am

I mean presumably if Pop hypothetically aired the 26 episodes of Bang Zoom Super and they did well they could order more episodes to be dubbed, but Funimation is so far ahead now I don't think enough people wouls care. Granted Ocean only dubbed Kai 1.0 themselves but since The Final Chapters is technically a separate show a better case for consistency could be made even if it meant we only got Funi for everything after Cell.
Note that back in 2001-2006, UK fans got four different casts; Vancouver's Ocean cast for Z 1-53 & 108+, Texas's Funi cast for Z 54-107, Calgary's Blue Water cast for DB and GT, and France's Big Green cast for the movies and specials.
And all of this was well-liked, high-rated, etc. etc. And despite the Calgary cast having the most episodes of all, Ocean still prevailed as the one people generally preferred, though by a similar token, many people still preferred Funi's cast, despite only having them for about 50 episodes... But really, the truth of it all is that people will have preferences on cast, but whatever the cast on TV is, 99.999% of what anyone cares about is just the show itself.
People cared that the cast switched over to the cheaper Calgary cast for GT, but people still watched it, and largely enjoyed it; there was some dislike, primarily from the people who disliked it just not liking GT as a series that much. (Though, not to get into it too deeply, but I'm given to understand DB, Z, and GT all had really strong ratings in the UK in general anyway, so... I think the disilke for different dubs, GT, whatever, that people throw around online, is all overstated. Still, historically Ocean's dubbing was primarily what was given to the UK, so in my view, that's what should continue airing here)

Realistically, I expect Pop will stick to just airing Super, and it'll be Funi's dub. Personally, I'd prefer to see BZ's dub; having a network like Pop airing it would potentially lead to it getting more episodes, and I'd prefer to see that cast get to do more work than just have Funi's TV edit air in yet another place, and BZ's scripting was better than Funi's TV edit (yes, there's those one or two bad lines people point to from the BOG saga, I could just as easily point to five or six bad lines from Funi's, so let's not do that), and naturally BZ's being a TV edit from the get-go, not just an edited-down uncut dub that the cast roll their eyes over like Funi's is, there's a sense of more care going into it that I generally get.

Ultimately, if it's a case of BZ 1-27 & Funi 28+, or Funi for the whole run, it's probably best to just do Funi's run, but it's worth asking, I say.

As for Kai in general; Kai is old news for Pop/Kix. I don't think they'll even bother re-airing it. Super is the new shit, that's what they'll want to be pushing.
But again, doesn't hurt to ask. So I sent an email. I specifically requested Ocean's version, citing the UK's historical exposure to Ocean's dubbing, and even left a brief aside pointing out that it'd be odd for the UK to get a Funi dub of Super given the history of having Ocean dubbing, though I mostly did that as an afterthought. My philosophy is: No harm in asking any of this stuff, so I might aswell cover the full possible gamut of questions one could have.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:32 am

Brand new episodes... that have been out on DVD for 20 months. Still, nice to see the franchise doing relatively well for itself.

"It is expected that the channel [...] will be editing the episodes to a PG rating."

Technically the first 65 are already PGs, even in uncut format (https://bbfc.co.uk/search/releases/Drag ... ll%2BSuper), but I suspect they'll use the pre-censored ones and be more strict than the actual PG rating.
OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:31 am I wonder if any of our UK friends on the forum would be up to recording it so we can finally have the edited version archived.
Fortunately, I have a USB Freeview receiver and find this kind of thing interesting. Get ready for censored DBS in glorious 544x576!
Is there already an idea of what specifically was changed for the edited version?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:32 am Fortunately, I have a USB Freeview receiver and find this kind of thing interesting. Get ready for censored DBS in glorious 544x576!
Please make sure you capture the audio lossless or uncompressed (I'm presuming it'll air in stereo. If it's broadcasting in surround, do what you can to capture in surround at the highest quality you can, even if it means downgrading the picture quality). I don't think anyone minds the video being a bit crappy, that can be recreated for anyone who cares, in theory, but the re-recorded audio can never be redone.
LostTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:32 am Is there already an idea of what specifically was changed for the edited version?
A general idea: Mr. Satan will be "Hercule", any swearing (or any other "kids' TV-unsafe" words like "Damn") will be gone, and some random, seemingly-inocuous lines will be changed for reasons no one can quite fathom out.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:57 am

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 am Please make sure you capture the audio lossless or uncompressed.
I'm pretty certain the recordings are the 'raw' MPEG streams without re-encoding. Pop has stereo MP2 audio at 128Kbps.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:00 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:32 am
OmegaRockman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:31 am I wonder if any of our UK friends on the forum would be up to recording it so we can finally have the edited version archived.
Fortunately, I have a USB Freeview receiver and find this kind of thing interesting. Get ready for censored DBS in glorious 544x576!
Is there already an idea of what specifically was changed for the edited version?
Thank you kindly! It's going to be fun doing endless comparisons to the uncut dub, and having something like this for my kids someday (and maybe for babysitting since I have a few friends with kids) will be handy! I'm sure several others would agree, too.

My YouTube

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:29 am Note that back in 2001-2006, UK fans got four different casts; Vancouver's Ocean cast for Z 1-53 & 108+, Texas's Funi cast for Z 54-107, Calgary's Blue Water cast for DB and GT, and France's Big Green cast for the movies and specials.
And all of this was well-liked, high-rated, etc. etc. And despite the Calgary cast having the most episodes of all, Ocean still prevailed as the one people generally preferred, though by a similar token, many people still preferred Funi's cast, despite only having them for about 50 episodes... But really, the truth of it all is that people will have preferences on cast, but whatever the cast on TV is, 99.999% of what anyone cares about is just the show itself.
People cared that the cast switched over to the cheaper Calgary cast for GT, but people still watched it, and largely enjoyed it; there was some dislike, primarily from the people who disliked it just not liking GT as a series that much. (Though, not to get into it too deeply, but I'm given to understand DB, Z, and GT all had really strong ratings in the UK in general anyway, so... I think the disilke for different dubs, GT, whatever, that people throw around online, is all overstated. Still, historically Ocean's dubbing was primarily what was given to the UK, so in my view, that's what should continue airing here)

Realistically, I expect Pop will stick to just airing Super, and it'll be Funi's dub. Personally, I'd prefer to see BZ's dub; having a network like Pop airing it would potentially lead to it getting more episodes, and I'd prefer to see that cast get to do more work than just have Funi's TV edit air in yet another place, and BZ's scripting was better than Funi's TV edit (yes, there's those one or two bad lines people point to from the BOG saga, I could just as easily point to five or six bad lines from Funi's, so let's not do that), and naturally BZ's being a TV edit from the get-go, not just an edited-down uncut dub that the cast roll their eyes over like Funi's is, there's a sense of more care going into it that I generally get.

Ultimately, if it's a case of BZ 1-27 & Funi 28+, or Funi for the whole run, it's probably best to just do Funi's run, but it's worth asking, I say.

As for Kai in general; Kai is old news for Pop/Kix. I don't think they'll even bother re-airing it. Super is the new shit, that's what they'll want to be pushing.
But again, doesn't hurt to ask. So I sent an email. I specifically requested Ocean's version, citing the UK's historical exposure to Ocean's dubbing, and even left a brief aside pointing out that it'd be odd for the UK to get a Funi dub of Super given the history of having Ocean dubbing, though I mostly did that as an afterthought. My philosophy is: No harm in asking any of this stuff, so I might aswell cover the full possible gamut of questions one could have.
I agree that all of those dubs where popular enough, with the exception of the Big Green movie dubs. I remember people being genuinely annoyed by them at the time, likely because they were so drastically different to all the other dubs. These days people get a good laugh out of Big Green, but back then it was the only way to watch the movies in the UK.

I don't see how them airing the Funi dub is odd. I know the Canadian cast has a long history over here, but things have changed a lot since 2005. We've had most of the videogames with the US cast since 2003, along with all the home releases since 2012. We also had Funi Kai on Kix, and 2 hugely successful theatrical runs with that cast too. By that logic asking for Bang Zoom Super is odd, as hardly anyone over here has ever heard that cast in Dragonball.

But yes you could still justify asking for Ocean Kai as that would be a world exclusive for them, and could appeal to some older fans.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:33 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:00 pm It's going to be fun doing endless comparisons to the uncut dub, and having something like this for my kids someday will be handy!
I should clarify that my intention is to upload only the bits unique to the edited version (alternate takes, censored scenes and whatnot), not full episodes from the Pop broadcasts. A montage of differences is a compliment to the official releases, whereas the full TV cut is a potential substitute.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:48 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:33 pm
OmegaRockman wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:00 pm It's going to be fun doing endless comparisons to the uncut dub, and having something like this for my kids someday will be handy!
I should clarify that my intention is to upload only the bits unique to the edited version (alternate takes, censored scenes and whatnot), not full episodes from the Pop broadcasts. A montage of differences is a compliment to the official releases, whereas the full TV cut is a potential substitute.
That's fair enough. It'll still be fun to see what the differences are!

My YouTube

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:14 pm

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme ... ode-guide/
Radio Times has the first three episodes listed. Looks like 7pm weekdays (following Pokémon: Indigo League), starting from July 1.

That also means it'll be about a week before I can share any clips from my recordings.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:41 am

I noticed a few people are worried about additional censorship. Personally I'm not too worried.

The only additional edits I remember for Kai on Kix where Raditz killing the farmer, removing NEPs, and having Dragon Soul as the ending theme too. Aside from that I think it was exactly like the Nicktoons US version, although I'm not 100%. I do remember them leaving in a lot of the brutal hits on Namek, like Frieza's knee to Goku's nose, and Goku's big gut punch to Freza among others.

And Super generally doesn't have as much violence to remove as Z/Kai to begin with, so I think we'll probably be okay. I haven't seen the CN Australia cut, but I'm hoping it's not too bad.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 am

Raditz never killed the farmer in the anime. Only in the manga.