Dragon Ball Super To Air in the UK on Pop!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super To Air in the UK on Pop!

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:13 pm

Is the series on hiatus on Pop right now?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:35 pm

Its still airing and it still scores well in ratings. It just isnt airing new episodes.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:59 am

Episode 36: https://streamable.com/h46h7
Same old. Death references, swearing/rudeness and Bulma's throttling.

And after that, I decided that doing comprehensive dialogue comparisons was too much of a time sink and that we already have a very good idea of what the differences are. Finding actual cuts is much easier because you can simply line them up in an editor (after reversing/applying the PAL speedup) and scroll to where where they drift apart. I had hoped that there would be a semi-automatic way of doing this for the audio, but there isn't, so I'd been watching the full episode with both tracks playing (I had planned to line the audio up and invert one of the tracks, but this didn't work, presumably due to the downmixing and pitch correction not matching closely enough). I'll still be looking at what was cut, but the dialogue will be more of a skim-watch now.

Episode 37-39: https://streamable.com/omniv
  • Forever Dreaming is the Funi version, except for Episode 38/40 where it's kept Japanese.
  • 38's name is changed to accommodate Hit being "enforcer".
  • The more brutal attacks are toned down, again mostly close ups and prolonged attacks.
  • Vegeta coughing up blood and Goku leaving a mark Hit's cheek are cut, but blood smears can be seen in other shots.
  • Some re-wording to follow "excessive force" over "killing".
  • Vegeta's threat to Cabba is toned down and Whis' description of Hit's job is made less direct. Using "bounties" over targets implies that he only goes after criminals.
  • Goku's description of the Kaio Ken is changed for some reason. I assume this wasn't an intentional change.
  • A pre-recorded continuity announcer talked over the end of Goku vs Hit, coming in before the Narrator's last line.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Weird, people ALWAYS complain there is no blood on Super...but there it is!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:10 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:13 pm Weird, people ALWAYS complain there is no blood on Super...but there it is!
And that's about the extent of it, other than a scene or two in the Future Trunks arc I believe.

You know though, it's pretty strange how bloodless DBS is in comparison to One Piece, especially since they aired side-by-side on Fuji TV. Some speculate that it's because OP has censorship standards that are "grandfathered" in somehow. But considering lots of other daytime kids/teens anime still have blood and violence in them, I'm leaning more towards the fact that DBS is marketed more towards international children's broadcasters (like Pop! here) than OP is, and so the toned-down violence is Toei's way of catering to their overseas clientele. *Still, Toei could have made two versions of the show, sort of like the Final Chapters of Kai, one with blood and whatnot that could run on TV in Japan and places like Adult Swim in the US, and another for kids channels like Pop, but we all know that Kai was a one off thing and that Toei is too lazy to do something like that.*
Last edited by wjbraden on Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:16 pm

You are very much correct, pal.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:16 pm

Pop starts the second "Series/Season" (#67 onward) on Monday.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:18 am

Any new edits?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:23 am

I'm a bit worried since Dragon Ball Super hasnt scored in the Top 15 shows for Pop. Is it cancelled?

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:00 pm

Hadn't really watched any of this on pop, but it is still being aired, think I caught like ep 98 - fighting seemed very slow and choppy, have they messed with frame rate for tv broadcast?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:06 am

Krillin1994 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:00 pm Hadn't really watched any of this on pop, but it is still being aired, think I caught like ep 98 - fighting seemed very slow and choppy, have they messed with frame rate for tv broadcast?
Yeah, we had the same issue on Toonami here in the US. They said they had to cut frames during some of the action scenes to follow certain standards implemented after the Porygon incident years ago. It seems that Pop is doing the same thing. I understand why they did it, but IMO they went a little overboard with it at times (based on the Toonami broadcast, I mean).

On a different note, knowing that they at least got to the early tournament episodes, I have to wonder what they did to Episode 89 to get it suitable for broadcast. I wonder if LostTimeLord happened to record that one or if he stopped after 39.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:34 am

The pop seizure edits are much worse than Toonami's.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:50 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:06 amI have to wonder what they did to Episode 89 to get it suitable for broadcast. I wonder if LostTimeLord happened to record that one
Funnily enough, that's the only episode from "Series 2" that didn't record properly (due to Vegas crashing my PC while it was on). Fortunately, I recorded the repeat. I still kinda want to do edit guides for the remaining episodes and write up a proper summary of the whole thing, if I end up with the free time. I did videos for 67-70, but never uploaded them thinking I'd have a whole-arc batch soon.

"Series 2" consisted of episodes 67 to 104. It's still airing at 7:01pm, and just lopped back to the Beerus arc after repeating the first 104 episodes. Pop has a Smyth's Toys sponsorship and competition for a few weeks which seemed to consist entirely of generic music and some DBS clipart and played during non-DB stuff; I even saw a Smyth's ad for DBS toys in the cinema (albeit days before all the country's cinemas closed, so who know how much exposure those had).

It looks like Pop started getting the Toonami cuts from episode 53 (Yoka Yoka Dance switches from the full version to the one with the starwipe here), so swearing is cut entirely and Mr Satan has his original name restored. The Arale episode had more cut than the Yurin one.

Episode 67: https://streamable.com/r6pd5n
  • Some jarring cuts for swearing.
  • The eycatcher is cut and the ad break is moved (with an added fade to black).
Episode 68:https://streamable.com/ld6n3s
  • Apparently Kaio being "stuck for like this for all eternity" isn't appropriate.
  • The flashback and references to to Oolong's first wish are cut, as is Roshi chocking him. Roshi's wish is also gone, so he just vanishes with no explication.
  • Bulma paying 18 to get rid of Oolong no longer makes any sense because the dialogue where she actually asks 18 is cut.
  • Calling Goku a moron isn't allowed.
Episode 69:https://streamable.com/61whow
  • Everything to do with poop is cut. This means that the food being too good for a God's stomach is the only explanation for Berus' tummy problems.
  • References to the "girly magazine" are cut but the magazine itself is unaltered. They've managed to cut words from the middle of sentences.
  • Some of that Arale on Vegeta action is too hardcore. Even the dialogue references to it.
Episode 70:https://streamable.com/mxab23
  • Yancha's making a backwards V sign as an 'attack' is cut.
  • Yamcha's slapstick pain is toned down.
  • Berrus v Champa charging at each other with nosebleeds is cut.
  • The comments on Yamcha's pose "ringing a bell" are gone, for whatever reason.
Episode 89: https://streamable.com/idaklz
  • Not allowed: "freaking", "stupid". Allowed: "spunky", "hell".
  • Roshi looking for evil in Yrin's arse is cut, as are later references to him being a pervert. Even on Pop, the scene ends with Yurin's outer layer coming off, her covering herself screaming and Roshi getting excited about it.
  • Although his description is gone, it's still pretty clear that he's looking up Yurin's skirt.
  • Roshi looking at Yurin's breasts when they meet, as well as Puar upskirting her, are left unaltered. I'm kind of amazed that so much of this stuff got left in.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:11 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:50 pm
OmegaRockman wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:06 amI have to wonder what they did to Episode 89 to get it suitable for broadcast. I wonder if LostTimeLord happened to record that one
Funnily enough, that's the only episode from "Series 2" that didn't record properly (due to Vegas crashing my PC while it was on). Fortunately, I recorded the repeat. I still kinda want to do edit guides for the remaining episodes and write up a proper summary of the whole thing, if I end up with the free time. I did videos for 67-70, but never uploaded them thinking I'd have a whole-arc batch soon.

"Series 2" consisted of episodes 67 to 104. It's still airing at 7:01pm, and just lopped back to the Beerus arc after repeating the first 104 episodes. Pop has a Smyth's Toys sponsorship and competition for a few weeks which seemed to consist entirely of generic music and some DBS clipart and played during non-DB stuff; I even saw a Smyth's ad for DBS toys in the cinema (albeit days before all the country's cinemas closed, so who know how much exposure those had).

It looks like Pop started getting the Toonami cuts from episode 53 (Yoka Yoka Dance switches from the full version to the one with the starwipe here), so swearing is cut entirely and Mr Satan has his original name restored. The Arale episode had more cut than the Yurin one.

Episode 67: https://streamable.com/r6pd5n
  • Some jarring cuts for swearing.
  • The eycatcher is cut and the ad break is moved (with an added fade to black).
Episode 68:https://streamable.com/ld6n3s
  • Apparently Kaio being "stuck for like this for all eternity" isn't appropriate.
  • The flashback and references to to Oolong's first wish are cut, as is Roshi chocking him. Roshi's wish is also gone, so he just vanishes with no explication.
  • Bulma paying 18 to get rid of Oolong no longer makes any sense because the dialogue where she actually asks 18 is cut.
  • Calling Goku a moron isn't allowed.
Episode 69:https://streamable.com/61whow
  • Everything to do with poop is cut. This means that the food being too good for a God's stomach is the only explanation for Berus' tummy problems.
  • References to the "girly magazine" are cut but the magazine itself is unaltered. They've managed to cut words from the middle of sentences.
  • Some of that Arale on Vegeta action is too hardcore. Even the dialogue references to it.
Episode 70:https://streamable.com/mxab23
  • Yancha's making a backwards V sign as an 'attack' is cut.
  • Yamcha's slapstick pain is toned down.
  • Berrus v Champa charging at each other with nosebleeds is cut.
  • The comments on Yamcha's pose "ringing a bell" are gone, for whatever reason.
Episode 89: https://streamable.com/idaklz
  • Not allowed: "freaking", "stupid". Allowed: "spunky", "hell".
  • Roshi looking for evil in Yrin's arse is cut, as are later references to him being a pervert. Even on Pop, the scene ends with Yurin's outer layer coming off, her covering herself screaming and Roshi getting excited about it.
  • Although his description is gone, it's still pretty clear that he's looking up Yurin's skirt.
  • Roshi looking at Yurin's breasts when they meet, as well as Puar upskirting her, are left unaltered. I'm kind of amazed that so much of this stuff got left in.
Thanks so much for the update! I guess Funi just gave up on recording edited tracks after 52. Like you, I'm also shocked that 89 had so much left in. I figured they'd at least cut Yurin's top coming off. I guess it's just a testament to how awful that episode is (IMO, of course). Heck, I'm pretty sure the Hebrew dub just cut the episode entirely.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:00 am

Great news everyone! Disney Channel and Disney XD UK are no more! Hopefully the viewership will jump to Pop!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:31 pm

https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/fou ... dashboard/

Dragon Ball Super came in 5th place with 112,100 viewers :thumbup:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:49 am

https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/fou ... dashboard/

Dragon Ball Super scored a Top 15 spot with 101,400 viewers! YAY!

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:04 am

"Series 3" (episode 105) starts tonight.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:21 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:04 am "Series 3" (episode 105) starts tonight.
Happy that another Dragon Ball series will have been broadcast in full in the UK and Ireland.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Dragon Ball Super scored a Top 10 position again!