Has there ever been an official explanation as to why Goku and Vegeta got rid of their RoF clothes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Has there ever been an official explanation as to why Goku and Vegeta got rid of their RoF clothes?

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 am

It's just kind of odd that they'd use it in RoF, then continue using it in the Champa Arc, then just randomly revert back to their BoG/Z clothes in the Zamasu Arc. Has there ever been an official statement by a staff or Toriyama ever explaining why this random change happened? I kind of liked the clothes. Their designs were pretty good, and it actually made it feel as though Goku and Vegeta progressed, now being trained under Whis.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Has there ever been an official explanation as to why Goku and Vegeta got rid of their RoF clothes?

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 am

No. The common idea is that it was done for marketing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Has there ever been an official explanation as to why Goku and Vegeta got rid of their RoF clothes?

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:03 pm

If you look at it from a story stand point I just assumed that when Freeza showed up they were still in the midst of their training with Whis, and then during the Champa arc they were representing Universe 7 and Whis/Beerus. After that I figured they just went back to their normal gear for comfort sake.

I personally don't really like their Whis outfits. Vegeta's is ok, but I think I'd like it better if the armor part was like his normal armor. The under suit and color scheme are good though.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:22 pm

I like to believe they did that because they wanted Vegito to be in his original outfit that we love from back in Z when he appeared in the Future Trunks Arc. But i know better. That obviously wasn’t the reason they did it. They’re just nostalgia freaks for some reason. Also, they kept wearing their original outfits in the ToP Arc and beyond.

I was one of the people who was very dissapointed when they changed their outfits back to normal. I really loved the RoF ones!

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Vegeta's armor was a bit different in the Broly movie. His under suit was almost black and the armor was more gray than white. It seems a lot of people liked the way it looked so I wonder if they'll stick with that?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:31 pm

omegacwa wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:03 pm If you look at it from a story stand point I just assumed that when Freeza showed up they were still in the midst of their training with Whis, and then during the Champa arc they were representing Universe 7 and Whis/Beerus. After that I figured they just went back to their normal gear for comfort sake.
This doesn't quite work in the ToP, since they're representing Universe 7 and Beerus/Whis there too. For the Zamasu, Broly and Moro arcs, though, it would be an okay in-universe explanation.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Someone at Toei had a nostalgia boner! Bandai as shit as they are only started using the old clothes for marketing when DBS was deep into the U.S arc. Even now they still try and market the RF clothes where possible so I appreciate that, they semi brought them back for Heroes too.

At least with the new movie they changed the old clothes up so that ain't so bad now, darker undrshirt for Vegeta definitely better then ugly bright blue he was rocking under Yamamuro and Goku having the loose belt back is good too.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:28 am

I miss the brief period where those were treated as the "default" outfits for Goku and Vegeta in marketing. For example, the sections of Xenoverse 2 and Fusions' story modes where the "modern" versions of them appear, they have the Res F outfits.

It's a shame, those outfits looked really good with Super Saiyan Blue. Not so much with the yellow forms or SSG, but Blue was being used often enough that they could have justified keeping them. Meanwhile, it wasn't until the Broly movie where we got to see how amazing Vegeta's blue outfit could look with Super Saiyan God.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:54 am

Maybe they didn’t want to redesign Vegetto and probably thought keeping Goku and Vegeta in their legacy outfits was better for some reason.
I could see Toriyama wanting to get rid of those because Whis would have to sign every new outfit as they were designed to feature his symbol, and it would be unpractical for that to happen. And Toriyama said a few times that he obsesses over these particular clothing details.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:05 am

emperior wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:54 amI could see Toriyama wanting to get rid of those because Whis would have to sign every new outfit as they were designed to feature his symbol,
Why would that have to happen to begin with? Also, Vegetto was something that came later on.

My money is that it was a suggestion made for marketing purposes and Toriyama & co didn't mind.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:15 pm Someone at Toei had a nostalgia boner! Bandai as shit as they are only started using the old clothes for marketing when DBS was deep into the U.S arc.
If that's the case then that's just sad. Stuff like this adds to Super's "lack of progression" with it's characters. In the OG 42 volumes, characters always had unique changes to their outfits that made it seem like they were progressing as time went by. In Super we're seeing little to nothing.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:36 am

Marketing.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:28 am I miss the brief period where those were treated as the "default" outfits for Goku and Vegeta in marketing. For example, the sections of Xenoverse 2 and Fusions' story modes where the "modern" versions of them appear, they have the Res F outfits.

It's a shame, those outfits looked really good with Super Saiyan Blue. Not so much with the yellow forms or SSG, but Blue was being used often enough that they could have justified keeping them. Meanwhile, it wasn't until the Broly movie where we got to see how amazing Vegeta's blue outfit could look with Super Saiyan God.
Tbf nothing looks good with those horrible yellow forms. I just don't think I will ever find the yellow forms appealing regardless of what they wear.

As for SSG Vegeta, no way the form would've looked any good under the old designs with Vegeta's overly bright blue undershirt and yellow parts of the armour and probably why Toei held off until Shintani came along.

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:27 pm

I loved the ROF outfits, miss them.
However, i do like the original ones too.
But it is time to move on from them. Looking forward to the EOZ outfits.