Do you think Super would have benefited by holding off on Super Saiyan Blue?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think Super would have benefited by holding off on Super Saiyan Blue?

Post by Questrider » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:49 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:28 pm
infermon wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:29 pm
emperior wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:41 am Honestly Blue should have never happened and they should have kept God as the strongest form until Ultra Instinct.
Can't second this enough.

Every single story beat that involves Blue could be substituted for God with practically zero issue. Its only function in its debut was to establish Goku and Vegeta's growth under Whis, but introducing a new form to do so was utterly pointless; having the latter attain God for the first time and the former reattain it after losing it would've done that job perfectly fine. All it's done since is add another entry to the already far too long list of transformations for Goku to cycle through when in a pinch. Out of universe it really only exists for merchandising reasons and as the face of the modern iteration of the franchise, it's... an ugly one. God is so much more aesthetically pleasing.
Super Saiyan God in terms of popularity has never held up so well. And the form was heavily criticized when it appeared on BoG.

It's because SSJG looks horrible.
The problem, which they figured out quick (and what they will realize with Goku's UI form), is that the masses DIG the spiked hair.
When you have normal looking Goku and just add some glow to him, it just doesn't have the same visual impact. The spiked hair always felt like a "transformation." Adding a glow just doesn't quite do that.

You all just watch. UI will have spiked hair eventually too.

My opinion? Make it a little more yellow, make it the same style as SSJ. And now add the glow. Done.
There's your final form, looking iconic like the original but with some added flair. Make that the final form for the rest of the series.

You're welcome.
-Questrider

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Do you think Super would have benefited by holding off on Super Saiyan Blue?

Post by FubukiFoxx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:50 pm

I'm just happy we've stuck it out with Blue for as long as we have. Personally, I would have been okay with there just being the original Super Saiyan form and perhaps focusing more on new techniques and abilities, but I digress. I'll agree that Super Saiyan God does feel rather under-utilised, as more or less, SSJ Blue took its place not long after it was introduced. As others on this topic have pointed out, I don't think SSJ God was the most popular upon release, which is probably what helped prompt them to replace it with Blue.

I'm not the keenest on SSJ God's look either way, so personally, I don't mind it not being the focus so much.
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:22 pm

I honestly really dig the look of SSGod on Goku specifically. I might be out of step with most fans on this, but the hair colour, the eerie eyes and the skinnier form were an unexpected and effective look for the then-most powerful form after being used to seeing Super Saiyans get more and more jacked up and "spikey". But I can definitely see why SSBlue is more popular, and I think it looks fantastic on Vegeta in particular.

But yeah, it hurt the impact of its reveal showing up so abruptly. It's like SS3 in that way - just "hey, I can do this now" without seeing the moment the form was achieved. It'd be nice if we first saw it as the payoff to some kind of struggle.