Paragus Dragon Ball Super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Re: Paragus Dragon Ball Super.

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:53 pm

… Was I the only one who saw Paragus' evil smirk right after he gave his son an electric shock?

There is nothing decent about him as a father at that point. He's enjoying watching his son suffer - which makes him an ass.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:23 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:53 pm … Was I the only one who saw Paragus' evil smirk right after he gave his son an electric shock?

There is nothing decent about him as a father at that point. He's enjoying watching his son suffer - which makes him an ass.
No I saw it too. His desire for revenge did cloud his fondness for Broly.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 pm

To me, Paragus represents a very old-fashioned type of father. Clearly he has become obsessed with revenge and is exploiting his son, but any affect that has on Broly is justified in his view. The revenge that Paragus seeks is for both of their sakes; he wants to restore the honor that Vegeta III stole from their family. They have endured a lot of hardship together, and it's Vegeta's fault. Because he is old fashioned, he is very strict. Taking away Broly's only friend Baa was cruel, but Paragus doesn't value friendship. He values family, strength, honor, and pride. He wants to teach those values to his son. It's most likely what Paragus was taught.

Broly is also a very difficult son to deal with. Paragus has clearly risked his life multiple times while trying to keep his son under control. It would be "safer" for him to just kill Broly in his sleep, but he doesn't do that. Even though Broly doesn't like being shocked, he understands that it is for everyone's benefit that he remain under control. He knows his father doesn't shock him to be cruel. His father gave up everything for him.

It's messy and complex, but that's what I love so much about their relationship in DBS Broly!

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:30 pm

batistabus wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 pm To me, Paragus represents a very old-fashioned type of father. Clearly he has become obsessed with revenge and is exploiting his son, but any affect that has on Broly is justified in his view. The revenge that Paragus seeks is for both of their sakes; he wants to restore the honor that Vegeta III stole from their family. They have endured a lot of hardship together, and it's Vegeta's fault. Because he is old fashioned, he is very strict. Taking away Broly's only friend Baa was cruel, but Paragus doesn't value friendship. He values family, strength, honor, and pride. He wants to teach those values to his son. It's most likely what Paragus was taught.

Broly is also a very difficult son to deal with. Paragus has clearly risked his life multiple times while trying to keep his son under control. It would be "safer" for him to just kill Broly in his sleep, but he doesn't do that. Even though Broly doesn't like being shocked, he understands that it is for everyone's benefit that he remain under control. He knows his father doesn't shock him to be cruel. His father gave up everything for him.

It's messy and complex, but that's what I love so much about their relationship in DBS Broly!
Perhaps but he shouldn't have smiled cruelly after shocking Broly. But I do agree with your points.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:30 pm
batistabus wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 pm To me, Paragus represents a very old-fashioned type of father. Clearly he has become obsessed with revenge and is exploiting his son, but any affect that has on Broly is justified in his view. The revenge that Paragus seeks is for both of their sakes; he wants to restore the honor that Vegeta III stole from their family. They have endured a lot of hardship together, and it's Vegeta's fault. Because he is old fashioned, he is very strict. Taking away Broly's only friend Baa was cruel, but Paragus doesn't value friendship. He values family, strength, honor, and pride. He wants to teach those values to his son. It's most likely what Paragus was taught.

Perhaps but he shouldn't have smiled cruelly after shocking Broly. But I do agree with your points.
Don't get me wrong, Paragus is a bad guy. He's a Saiyan, and he's seemingly a particularly ruthless one. I can't reconcile smiling at hurting his son. It's possible he was smiling for some reason I can't empathize with. I'm going to say it was a liberty of the animators to make him seem more cruel when perhaps the script didn't necessarily call for it.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:56 pm

batistabus wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:11 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Don't get me wrong, Paragus is a bad guy. He's a Saiyan, and he's seemingly a particularly ruthless one. I can't reconcile smiling at hurting his son. It's possible he was smiling for some reason I can't empathize with. I'm going to say it was a liberty of the animators to make him seem more cruel when perhaps the script didn't necessarily call for it.
Not all of us Saiyans are evil. But I do agree that that smile seemed cruel. But one thing I don't get is if Paragus didn't care about Broly, then why did he call him son and praise him?