Paragus Dragon Ball Super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Paragus Dragon Ball Super.

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:20 pm

I know Paragus isn't a model father but I sense that Cheelai and Lemo's assertions that Paragus only sees Broly as a tool and not as a person are not entirely true. I do however agree that Paragus is a bad father though.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Paragus Dragon Ball Super.

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Some people would probably be willing to argue that Goku is a worse father...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:44 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:51 pm Some people would probably be willing to argue that Goku is a worse father...
True but Goku isn't cruel. And Goku accepts that his sons may not want to be warriors.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:32 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:44 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:51 pm Some people would probably be willing to argue that Goku is a worse father...
True but Goku isn't cruel. And Goku accepts that his sons may not want to be warriors.
It was mostly a joke about how everyone says Goku is the worst father ever.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:34 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:32 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:44 pm
It was mostly a joke about how everyone says Goku is the worst father ever.
Your right that everyone does say that. I personally disagree.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:48 am

And those people are blinded by a meme thats been dead for over a decade,

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:20 pm I know Paragus isn't a model father but I sense that Cheelai and Lemo's assertions that Paragus only sees Broly as a tool and not as a person are not entirely true. I do however agree that Paragus is a bad father though.
I was baffled by this too. Up to that point I've had considered Paragus a decent father for a saiyan, the guy cares enough about his son to defy his king (not a merciful ruler, as you know) and leave his planet.
Then this girl who they meet five minutes ago decidesParagus is a horrible person and that she knows better. Yeah, I know electrifying your son is not ideal, but considering the destruction Broly could unleash (killing everyone but Freeza just by blowing up the space ship) and again, that he is a saiyan, I'll give it a pass.

A bit disappointing how he became just a transformation trigger, I really consider him the most interesting character for the first half of the movie.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:45 pm

Majin Jator wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:16 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:20 pm I know Paragus isn't a model father but I sense that Cheelai and Lemo's assertions that Paragus only sees Broly as a tool and not as a person are not entirely true. I do however agree that Paragus is a bad father though.
I was baffled by this too. Up to that point I've had considered Paragus a decent father for a saiyan, the guy cares enough about his son to defy his king (not a merciful ruler, as you know) and leave his planet.
Then this girl who they meet five minutes ago decidesParagus is a horrible person and that she knows better. Yeah, I know electrifying your son is not ideal, but considering the destruction Broly could unleash (killing everyone but Freeza just by blowing up the space ship) and again, that he is a saiyan, I'll give it a pass.

A bit disappointing how he became just a transformation trigger, I really consider him the most interesting character for the first half of the movie.
Yeah he certainly is an interesting character. Cheelai and Lemo didn't seem to understand that Broly was by nature a berserker.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:08 am

But here's the thing. Paragus wasn't entirely wrong in trying to "control" Broly, seeing how dangerous he could be, but it's also worth noting that his actions did help mold Broly's problems. He obsessed over vengeance and made Broly his weapon against Vegeta. To that end, he would train Broly in combat in a very harsh manner and, to make matters worse, deprive him of other kind of companionship. Bah was a stellar example. That, combined with the constant shocking, must have made a wonderful job to Broly's likely already unstable self-control.

Plus, the guy pretty much acted like a jackass to his son in the presence of Lemo and Cheelai, so they didn't really get to see his softer side.

In sum, I"d say Paragus REALLY cares about Broly, but his obsession and hatred clouded those feelings until they resurfaced when he saw Broly could seriously die against Goku and Vegeta.

It's really sad he died, however, even if the plot demanded it. They could have made his "redemption" be the deciding factor in calming Broly out, and him mellowing out would be seriously entertaining to see.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:42 pm

there is a difference between being a abusive father and another is to be just being an irresponsible father ...

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:18 pm

It was a little bit of both. Paragus did treat Broly harshly through training in order to get strong for revenge. However he did show concern for Broly when he was in trouble.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:14 pm

An abusive father can still love his kid. He might be blinded by something else (in this case, Paragus' desire for revenge).
I hated Cheelai and Lemo's assertions because the situation wasn't nearly as bad as presented. Paragus had to restrain Broly somehow.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:24 pm

in the best case ... paragus worries more because his son is alive and so together being able to take revenge on the king for that he trained him as a warrior and he away from any possible distraction
but paragus really don't worried of Broly's happiness or his interests ... he became obsessed with power and revenge

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:11 pm

I agree with you Wolflonnie that Paragus was an abusive father. Yeah it wasn't very nice for Paragus to use a shock collar to restrain Broly but Broly is dangerous when he goes berserk. So a good question is how do you restrain him?

However I don't agree with you assertion Tai Lung. You are welcome to believe that and there is some suggestion to support your idea but there is some suggestion to support the idea that Paragus does actually love Broly. Herms even said that they were trying to bring out the tragic element in Paragus.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:26 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:11 pm I agree with you Wolflonnie that Paragus was an abusive father. However I don't agree with you assertion Tai Lung. You are welcome to believe that and there is some suggestion to support your idea but there is some suggestion to support the idea that Paragus does actually love Broly.
I said basically the same ...
Paragus loves his son but he never cared about his happiness, probably Broly wanted revenge too but he preferred to have a peaceful life.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:26 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:11 pm I agree with you Wolflonnie that Paragus was an abusive father. However I don't agree with you assertion Tai Lung. You are welcome to believe that and there is some suggestion to support your idea but there is some suggestion to support the idea that Paragus does actually love Broly.
I said basically the same ...
Paragus loves his son but he never cared about his happiness, probably Broly wanted revenge too but he preferred to have a peaceful life.
Oh ok sorry about the misunderstanding.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:10 pm

Honestly the movie didn’t properly show Paragus as an abusive father, despite the Bah’s scene (which was still explained to Lemo and Cheelai only after the remote was stolen).
Had Paragus electrified Broly a few more times, even just once like for example to show Freeza the method to calm Broly, then Cheelai would have been more justified for stealing the remote.

I would also have liked to see more of Broly’s harsh training as a kid, to show more of Paragus treating him as a tool. For example they could have showed Paragua having Broly train all day and shocking him if he slacked off just for a bit, with the constant reminder that if he didn’t train hard then they would never get their revenge. Maybe show that it was due to Paragus that Broly started to get rage issues. That would have been a little deeper and would probably make Paragus’ death by Freeza’s hand not only funny but also satisfying for the audience.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:47 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:10 pm Honestly the movie didn’t properly show Paragus as an abusive father, despite the Bah’s scene (which was still explained to Lemo and Cheelai only after the remote was stolen).
Had Paragus electrified Broly a few more times, even just once like for example to show Freeza the method to calm Broly, then Cheelai would have been more justified for stealing the remote.

I would also have liked to see more of Broly’s harsh training as a kid, to show more of Paragus treating him as a tool. For example they could have showed Paragua having Broly train all day and shocking him if he slacked off just for a bit, with the constant reminder that if he didn’t train hard then they would never get their revenge. Maybe show that it was due to Paragus that Broly started to get rage issues. That would have been a little deeper and would probably make Paragus’ death by Freeza’s hand not only funny but also satisfying for the audience.
Your right about Paragus not being properly depicted as an abusive father. He was a harsh father, but not shown to be an especially abusive one. But I think that the creators either wanted the audience to sympathize with Paragus a little. Or they were just sloppy.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:47 pm
emperior wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:10 pm Honestly the movie didn’t properly show Paragus as an abusive father, despite the Bah’s scene (which was still explained to Lemo and Cheelai only after the remote was stolen).

Your right about Paragus not being properly depicted as an abusive father. He was a harsh father, but not shown to be an especially abusive one. But I think that the creators either wanted the audience to sympathize with Paragus a little. Or they were just sloppy.
Sloppy. Paragus was never nice to grown up Broly, and Cheelai hammered our heads with how badly Broly was being threatened.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:33 pm

wolflonnie wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:03 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Sloppy. Paragus was never nice to grown up Broly, and Cheelai hammered our heads with how badly Broly was being threatened.
Makes sense.