Sorbet's Conviction about Frieza

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Sorbet's Conviction about Frieza

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:36 pm

Why did Sorbet think Frieza would be impressed by Sorbet managing to keep the Frieza Force intact?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Sorbet's Conviction about Frieza

Post by Lionel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 pm

Maintaining an organisation as large as the Planet Trade can't be easy. You probably have to deal with overseeing the logistics of operations, personnel, research, security, transactions, ect. It's not as simple as just having the biggest stick to swing around. There probably does have to be a certain degree of genuine motivation outside of coerced fear of retaliation to prompt members to make the best of and improve on the PTO's capacity. Keeping it relatively in-tact can't be easy, especially without the imposition and charisma of Freeza's dynasty presiding over it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Sorbet really overestimated Freeza. I wish Sorbet had shot Freeza instead of Gokuu instead. Just think of how fitting it would be for Sorbet to kill Freeza after all that?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:25 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:16 pm Sorbet really overestimated Freeza. I wish Sorbet had shot Freeza instead of Gokuu instead. Just think of how fitting it would be for Sorbet to kill Freeza after all that?
That would be hilarious.

Lionel wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 pm Maintaining an organisation as large as the Planet Trade can't be easy. You probably have to deal with overseeing the logistics of operations, personnel, research, security, transactions, ect. It's not as simple as just having the biggest stick to swing around. There probably does have to be a certain degree of genuine motivation outside of coerced fear of retaliation to prompt members to make the best of and improve on the PTO's capacity. Keeping it relatively in-tact can't be easy, especially without the imposition and charisma of Freeza's dynasty presiding over it.
True but lets be honest here, Frieza doesn't respect ANYONE so even though Sorbet did a very good job of keeping things running. The soldiers did lose much of the arrogance they once had. You and I both know that managing to keep the Planet Trade Federation or Frieza Force running all those years was impressive, but to Frieza that doesn't seem to earn much respect. He respects ruthlessness and cruelty and power.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Sorbet wasn't really a warrior character, so this was his way to proove himself.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm Sorbet wasn't really a warrior character, so this was his way to proove himself.
True but Frieza didn't think much of him. Then again Frieza doesn't think much of ANYONE.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:27 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm Sorbet wasn't really a warrior character, so this was his way to proove himself.
True but Frieza didn't think much of him. Then again Frieza doesn't think much of ANYONE.
I think this arc could have been written differently. Sorbet could have been a refined, mastermind type of villain that was using Freeza for his own goals. Give him a device to destroy or absorb God-Ki for instance and he becomes a lot more intresting. Now he was only Freeza's slave who died like small fry. It's a shame that in DB in most cases the one with the highest powerlevel has to be the alphamale. There are basically no true strategic villains with impact. I think Sorbet could have been one.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:29 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:27 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm
I think this arc could have been written differently. Sorbet could have been a refined, mastermind type of villain that was using Freeza for his own goals. Give him a device to destroy or absorb God-Ki for instance and he becomes a lot more intresting. Now he was only Freeza's slave who died like small fry. It's a shame that in DB in most cases the one with the highest powerlevel has to be the alphamale. There are basically no true strategic villains with impact. I think Sorbet could have been one.
Yes your right he could have. I rather liked Sorbet's smarts and tactical abilities.

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Mister_Popo, I agree. I've always considered it a shame that we never really get to explore any villains beyond those who are physically powerful. A strategical mastermind would have felt like a breath of fresh air. Sorbet largely feels like an under-utilised character, and it's a shame that we never get an exploration of his motives, personality, etc.
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FubukiFoxx » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:42 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:16 pm Sorbet really overestimated Freeza. I wish Sorbet had shot Freeza instead of Gokuu instead. Just think of how fitting it would be for Sorbet to kill Freeza after all that?
In general, I'd say Freeza's characterisation in the movie is pretty bad. He may be pretty much my favourite character, but I wouldn't blame Sorbet at all for killing him in that scenario. I mean, you bring a guy back to life to rebuild the empire and he basically just buggers off to another planet looking for revenge nearly twenty years after the fact.
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:26 pm

FubukiFoxx wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:42 pm
In general, I'd say Freeza's characterisation in the movie is pretty bad. He may be pretty much my favourite character, but I wouldn't blame Sorbet at all for killing him in that scenario. I mean, you bring a guy back to life to rebuild the empire and he basically just buggers off to another planet looking for revenge nearly twenty years after the fact.
Yeah it is rather annoying. In the movie Frieza did say Sorbet did a good job keeping the force intact.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:26 pm

FubukiFoxx wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:42 pm
Which is why I like the Frieza we saw in the Broly movie, he seems to be thinking more with his head then go with what his emotions tell him at that moment, even if his reasons for gathering the dragonballs was asinine.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:08 am

Then frieza came back in tournament of power and broly seems to have better management

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:18 am

At the very least, Freeza does seem to respect Berryblue.