Necessity for Future Trunks to return to the past to get help against Goku Black

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Necessity for Future Trunks to return to the past to get help against Goku Black

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:51 pm

I can't help but feel that Future Trunks really had no other choice other than to return to the past to get help against Goku Black.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Necessity for Future Trunks to return to the past to get help against Goku Black

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:52 am

His mother is a genius inventor, who can invent amazing things out of scraps. Instead of always relying on his own brute power, he could have asked his mother for help.
I'm sure Bulma could have made a shrinking device, which Trunks could then use to enter Black's body undetected and then destroy him from the inside.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Necessity for Future Trunks to return to the past to get help against Goku Black

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:06 am

dbgtFO wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:52 am His mother is a genius inventor, who can invent amazing things out of scraps. Instead of always relying on his own brute power, he could have asked his mother for help.
I'm sure Bulma could have made a shrinking device, which Trunks could then use to enter Black's body undetected and then destroy him from the inside.
That is an interesting idea, but Goku Black had recently learned to sense ki, so he would sense that if Trunks tried it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:47 am

dbgtFO wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:52 am His mother is a genius inventor, who can invent amazing things out of scraps. Instead of always relying on his own brute power, he could have asked his mother for help.
This sounds like the Antman in Thanos's ass theory.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:34 am

The reason why Trunks didn't go back to the past before Zamasu was successful in becoming Goku Black was due to him being dead in Cell's timeline. This Zamasu came from a series of events proceeding from the Cell Games without Trunks who died in the future that was connected to it. This theory is only possible in the manga, where Goku Black jumped between timelines until he found Trunks, this one in a future whose androids and Cell were destroyed. In the anime, Beerus's destruction of Zamasu was what created the alternate timeline where he wouldn't have done so, and the Goku Black that we know came from his face off against Goku and the latter against Zamasu. The time machine set the target for the time ring to a past with Trunks's existence like somebody changes one's rug beneath the feet.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 am

I mean, yes. That's literally what is said at the beginning of the arc. Future Bulma makes it clear that Trunks is their last hope. That's why she sacrificed her life to distract Black and buy some time for Trunks to escape.

In the Future timeline, Black had already destroyed countless mortal civilizations and exterminated all the other Gods, and as Future Zamasu explains, they were cunning to do all of this in secrecy without Zeno knowing. Nobody could oppose him, so the last hope was for Trunks to get some help from the past.

Well really this is why Black chose to invade Trunks' timeline in the first place. It was the only timeline in which Beerus, Whis, and Shin were gone, and it was also a timeline where almost all the mighty warriors of Earth were dead.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:21 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:06 am That is an interesting idea, but Goku Black had recently learned to sense ki, so he would sense that if Trunks tried it.
Even if Trunks lowered his power to some tiny amount? He wouldn't have to fly either, just use a shrunken plane to get in.
Draconic wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:47 am This sounds like the Antman in Thanos's ass theory.
Yeah, well it's a great theory and we really missed out on a fantastic scenario in Endgame :lol:

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:08 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 am I mean, yes. That's literally what is said at the beginning of the arc. Future Bulma makes it clear that Trunks is their last hope. That's why she sacrificed her life to distract Black and buy some time for Trunks to escape.

In the Future timeline, Black had already destroyed countless mortal civilizations and exterminated all the other Gods, and as Future Zamasu explains, they were cunning to do all of this in secrecy without Zeno knowing. Nobody could oppose him, so the last hope was for Trunks to get some help from the past.

Well really this is why Black chose to invade Trunks' timeline in the first place. It was the only timeline in which Beerus, Whis, and Shin were gone, and it was also a timeline where almost all the mighty warriors of Earth were dead.
Yeah your right. Zamasu was very smart in doing it. But it seems he didn't count on Trunks going to the past again. Sadly there was no other choice. The first time though the jump to the past was unnecessary. If Trunks and Gohan had trained to surpass Super Saiyan they would have won without the need to travel through time. I don't like admitting that but it seems likely that they could have done without saving Goku.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:15 am

Hulk10 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:08 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 am I mean, yes. That's literally what is said at the beginning of the arc. Future Bulma makes it clear that Trunks is their last hope. That's why she sacrificed her life to distract Black and buy some time for Trunks to escape.

Yeah your right. Zamasu was very smart in doing it. But it seems he didn't count on Trunks going to the past again. Sadly there was no other choice. The first time though the jump to the past was unnecessary. If Trunks and Gohan had trained to surpass Super Saiyan they would have won without the need to travel through time. I don't like admitting that but it seems likely that they could have done without saving Goku.
He didn't know what was a time machine. The first time Zamasu saw it was when he travelled to the Present timeline to fight Goku. Had he known that Trunks could have left that timeline, he would have certainly begun his attack by destroying Capsule Corp.

I can't say I'm surprised either that he did not know Earth had time machines. The only time machine known to the Gods up until that point was that one time machine created by mortals of Universe 12 which was taken into custody by their Supreme Kai.

I also don't understand your final argument. Gohan was already dead at that point and Trunks was already a Super Saiyan 2 (so beyond Super Saiyan), and he stood no chance against Black. And that was before the immortal Future Zamasu even joined the battle.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:32 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:15 am
Hulk10 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:08 am

He didn't know what was a time machine. The first time Zamasu saw it was when he travelled to the Present timeline to fight Goku. Had he known that Trunks could have left that timeline, he would have certainly begun his attack by destroying Capsule Corp.

I can't say I'm surprised either that he did not know Earth had time machines. The only time machine known to the Gods up until that point was that one time machine created by mortals of Universe 12 which was taken into custody by their Supreme Kai.

I also don't understand your final argument. Gohan was already dead at that point and Trunks was already a Super Saiyan 2 (so beyond Super Saiyan), and he stood no chance against Black. And that was before the immortal Future Zamasu even joined the battle.
I was referring to the time travel that introduced us to Trunks at the start of the Android Saga in DBZ. That was the one I meant was unnecessary.