The Future of DBS

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sadala Elite
Banned

The Future of DBS

Post by Sadala Elite » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:09 pm

What kind of storyline would you like to see from Super after the Moro arc is over?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: The Future of DBS

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:58 pm

I've had my own fanfic idea of U7 being offered a chance to appear in a mysterious tournament against various other fighters but in reality, its merely a ploy made by the Sun Wukong to retrieve his Nyoibo from U7 for his own mischievous reasons. I'd like to see something like that so that the Journey To The West premise for early DB can come full-circle and determine how Goku would fare against the character who inspired his creation.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:57 pm

That's a difficult question to answer, because Super did not have a real overarching storyline so it's difficult to tell what will happen after Moro. My personal hope is that Super adopts the ideas of the Universal Conflict arc. In particular, I'd love to see Zamasu come back with his mechanical enhancements, it would set a nice contrast between his desire to be a perfect and pure God and his reliance on crude mortal gadgets to survive. Also I'd like to see how the great physical trauma he suffered possibly affected him, like making him more reserved and less outspoken like he was in the Future Trunks arc with his entertaining monologues.

All the other members of the Core Area Warriors should also be introduced and properly fleshed-out and developed (this means that people like Lagss shouldn't randomly disappear from the story and never referenced again). Hearts is also an interesting morally grey villain that was wasted at the end of the Heroes arc, but if he were ever introduced in the main series he could truly be fleshed-out and become a great villain.

Also I want this arc to take place after the End of Z, it should be one of the final arcs and revolve around a great battle that truly involves all universes and gods and mortals alike, and having it happen after the End of Z will increase its significance and raise the stakes dramatically. Finally, I hope they can tie this arc to previous ones. For example, one of the catalysts of this arc could be Zamasu destroying the Super Dragon Balls in the Future Trunks arc, which inadvertedly damaged the time-space continuum, or something similar. Basically find a way to link this arc to the events that happened in the first season of Super, so that it doesn't feel like it came out of nowhere.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:34 pm

I hear ideas such as exploration of the Makaioshins, the socio-political realm of the angels, and the unveiling of Zarama getting brought up a lot. Since the Tournament of Power we've had an underwhelming, in my opinion, rehash of one of the most notorious villains in the series and an attempt at convention breaking with Moro. As long as it's not another tournament I'm fine. Well, I wish they would try to assign some long-term character investment for others that aren't Goku and Vegeta but they appear to be largely the same. Freeza has been developed somewhat and Gohan seems to be keeping himself honed for now if the battle with the android is anything to by. Those two aren't exactly basking in the limelight with extensive focus shifting emphasis on their sub-plots, though.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:26 pm

I would love to see all the stuff of the first half of Super gets more explaination in the second half.
The angels have to stay neutral in battles of other beings, but they do defend themselves.
What if the angel realm was under threat itself?
An old ancient dark power has been locked with a spell, preventing it from entering the angel realm, but that spell has a time limit.
When the spell ends, the demon or demons can basically enter the angel realmn threaten the angels and evoke Armageddon.
The angels are very strong but have one weakness, their power is static, and although GP and other angels are very strong, they cannot become stronger to overcome that one enemy. The time limit of the spell is about to end.

Everything that has happened in the first half of Super. Beerus and Whis coming to earth, learning Goku and Vegeta God-Ki, let them break their limits in the Tournament of Power had a reason. The angels knew a very select number of fighters, Goku, Vegeta, maybe Gohan en Uub as well, have no strength limit, they've seen how strong they grew within that short of a period. So they decided to train them, with a special focuss on their strongest fighter, Goku, with the mission of defending the angel realm against the ultimate foe.

At the very end after a last and very furious battle in which the ancient dark power even manages to absorb the Zenos and become utterly unbeatable, Zalama interfers, entering the body of Son Goku (the chosen one).
A final and ultimate divine transformation occurs. Appearently a wish was made a very long time ago by Whis, for Zalama, the creator of the Super Dragon Balls, to intervene if all hope was lost. Zalama however had no physical appearence and choose the body of Son Goku to defeat the enemy and grant the wish of Whis. Zalama has one condition for Whis for this very special wish to be granted: he had to train a mortal that had strength that went beyond his own, that fighter would become his 'host' during the final battle.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:30 pm

An arc with the protagonists of universe 6 in addition to Goku and Vegeta, Hit, Caulifla, Kale, Cabba, Frost, Champa, Vados. We need to see it's characters outside of a tournament.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:27 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:57 pm That's a difficult question to answer, because Super did not have a real overarching storyline so it's difficult to tell what will happen after Moro.
The closest thing to an overarching story I can think of with Super is "Goku's journey in the realm of the gods". Which is actually a thing that starts in the Buu arc with the introduction of the Supreme Kai, the first "proper" god. Then throughout Super we get the counter to the Supreme Kai, namely the God of Destruction, and we get Goku gaining his own god powers, mastering his god powers, and finally tapping into Ultra Instinct, a technique only used by the most skilled gods (and also angels). With this in mind, you could say that Goku's path to "domination" over the realm of the gods is Super's overarching story. This would culminate in a rematch with Beerus where Goku wins. But I do admit that this is a bit of a stretch.
Sadala Elite wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:09 pm What kind of storyline would you like to see from Super after the Moro arc is over?
Based on what I wrote above, my hopes for Super's continuing story is that this whole god journey thing begins moving towards its final destination. Depending on how well Goku has mastered UI after his training with Merus, it may or may not be time to have that Goku vs Beerus rematch. If not, an arc or two more should be enough. After that rematch, it will be time to finally go "back" to the End of Z era. This doesn't mean that Super has to end (though maybe it'd be for the best), though it'd either do that or take on a new direction where Goku goes even higher, into the "angel realm", while also being a martial arts master.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:05 pm

Just another situation + another enemy, without things really moving on.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:23 pm

Psajdak wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:05 pm Just another situation + another enemy, without things really moving on.
Plus: the characters spamming the same old techniques. Uttering the same old jokes. Getting the same old goofy moments/acts. But I would probably expect a tournament rather than simply another enemy.

Bright future lies ahead of us.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:41 pm

I just want to get out of the Boo arc to EoZ rift already. It's been too long imo. BoG was released in 2013 while Super was released in 2015, so we would've already been in the rift for almost 5-7 years now (in a meta-sense of course).

With the mention of Kid Boo having God power within him, as well as the mention of Oob in both the anime and manga's ToP Arc, I really wish that we'd get to EoZ and beyond already.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 pm

Three words:

Rogue Angel Villain.

Somehow he/she finds a way to become immune to Zeno's erasure, too.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:29 pm

sadala arc ... a villain atactk the multiverse and alll warriors unite to fight as avenger end game

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 pm

Something involving Frieza attempting to/ overthrowing Beerus. It could possibly lead to Beerus dying due to the supreme kai being killed, and then he further attempts to overthrow Zeno and the grand priest. I just hate that Super brought up this plan and kinda haven't really explored it further since the beginning of TOP. It could possibly lead to Freeza being erased if he is caught, I just want to see the ball get rolling on that idea already.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:57 pm

I want to see character development and character design changes over the course of the show. The 2 main things that made the original story great were nowhere to be seen in Super and I really hope that changes in the future.

I know that Broly's success will probably prevent this from happening but please, keep the nostalgic elements to a minimum. I don't want to see anymore call backs to Vegeta's final flash against Cell, we got enough of that in Super 0.1. I also don't want to see anyone else being brought back or "rebooted" as the franchise is strong enough to move ahead with new elements. What started this whole revival was a completely new concept in Beerus and Whis, so give us more of that (More is a start).

Instead of giving us another Final Flash call back, give us something new that's just as good and can stand alongside that great moment. Instead of bringing Freeza back, give us someone who's just as good in his or her own way.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 pm Three words:

Rogue Angel Villain.

Somehow he/she finds a way to become immune to Zeno's erasure, too.
I remember when there was speculation on that idea back when universe 9 got erased and it appeared that angel smirked.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 am

I see only a couple things they could do from here:

1) Go to Sadala
2) Frieza uses a tamed Broly against Beerus/Goku/Vegeta
3) Tournament with the 4 excluded universes
4) Fight against the villain that killed Jiren's master
5) Beerus rematch
6) A next generation with Uub, Pan, and Bulla

None of them sound particularly exciting either.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:55 am

Extreme_kai wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 pm Something involving Frieza attempting to/ overthrowing Beerus. It could possibly lead to Beerus dying due to the supreme kai being killed, and then he further attempts to overthrow Zeno and the grand priest. I just hate that Super brought up this plan and kinda haven't really explored it further since the beginning of TOP. It could possibly lead to Freeza being erased if he is caught, I just want to see the ball get rolling on that idea already.
They brought that up again during Broly promotional so I'd like to think there is long time planning with Freeza. He's not the idiot he was during ResF and it looks like Broly might be key to his plans.

It probably also might explain why Toyotaro (or SDBH) haven't touched Freeza or Broly yet.

Broly might be the start of like a climax trilogy for modern DB and the last film might end with Freeza's endgame.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 am

If Dragon Ball Super isn't willing to move forward (i.e. having a narrative take place beyond the 10 year blank period), I think it should end. You can only keep the cast suspended in the same period for some long before the banality of the narrative will become too noticeable to ignore.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:24 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:19 amYou can only keep the cast suspended in the same period for some long before the banality of the narrative will become too noticeable to ignore.
It's worked for Pokemon and that's over 1000 episodes...not that Super will ever reach a 1000 episodes. With that said, I think it should've moved past this period a long time ago, as early as RF.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:13 pm

They really can’t milk these 10 years much more. Broly is already in Age 780 and the next time the Dragon Balls, be it the normal ones, the Namekian ones or the Super ones will be used it will be Age 781, unless they make an exception like Kami did after he restored Shenron that time Piccolo Daimao killed him.

They should just time-skip after Uub, even if it means having to come up with a new ending in the future.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical