Does the fact the DBS anime is not returning make you loose intrest in DB?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does the fact the DBS anime is not returning make you loose intrest in DB?

Post by Peach » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:36 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:28 am
Peach wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:16 am No. Dragon Ball Super was kind of bad overall. I'd rather not see it get worse.

If we do get more, it should be a movie written by Toriyama himself. Not a show Toei writes, cheaply animates, and drags on.
A lot of the issues Super 1.0 faced will be gone or massively reduced if it ever returns as it won't be rushed into production like before.

When it comes to the stories, Toriyama still gave us Minus and RF so he's not exactly perfect. Broly's story also wasn't anything to write home about.
No it won't.

They have characters act weird 90% of the time. The tournament of power was the best part in the show, and it mostly fluffed fights of the week and characters reacting in the stands.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:46 am

Peach wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:36 am
Peach wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:16 am No. Dragon Ball Super was kind of bad overall. I'd rather not see it get worse.

If we do get more, it should be a movie written by Toriyama himself. Not a show Toei writes, cheaply animates, and drags on.
A lot of the issues Super 1.0 faced will be gone or massively reduced if it ever returns as it won't be rushed into production like before.

When it comes to the stories, Toriyama still gave us Minus and RF so he's not exactly perfect. Broly's story also wasn't anything to write home about.
They have characters act weird 90% of the time. The tournament of power was the best part in the show, and it mostly fluffed fights of the week and characters reacting in the stands.
Super's production resulted in a lot of things being made up as they went along, something that won't happen or would be reduced in a potential Super 2.0. I'm not saying it would fix everything, but if Super 1.0's writing was a 4/10, better production time would've pushed it to at least a 6/10.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:51 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:46 am
Peach wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:36 am

Super's production resulted in a lot of things being made up as they went along, something that won't happen or would be reduced in a potential Super 2.0. I'm not saying it would fix everything, but if Super 1.0's writing was a 4/10, better production time would've pushed it to at least a 6/10.
Eh. Unless it's a bi yearly 20 episode a season show or something, I don't think it will be good. Would rather they just stick to movies. They're fun, always high quality, get me to the theater with friends. Super was just bad. Characters are always acting silly and weird like that special with Vegeta's brother. Honestly think i prefer GT to it.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:59 am

Peach wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:51 am Eh. Unless it's a bi yearly 20 episode a season show or something, I don't think it will be good. Would rather they just stick to movies. They're fun, always high quality, get me to the theater with friends. Super was just bad. Characters are always acting silly and weird like that special with Vegeta's brother. Honestly think i prefer GT to it.
A seasonal anime would definitely be the way to go, both in terms of production quality and writing. In terms of GT, between it and Super, both aren't very good continuation compared to the original manga.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:07 am

Hell no.

Even if Super wasn't a thing, there was still plenty of Dragon Ball material to consume and enjoy.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:07 am Hell no.

Even if Super wasn't a thing, there was still plenty of Dragon Ball material to consume and enjoy.
^^^

This.

Tbh, what I'd really love the most is some novels kind of like Naruto gets. Let some other authors tell some stories and add to the characters. It's worked out very well for the video games. I imagine they could really develop some of the side cast in this way.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:37 am

Defintely.
The manga is cool, but it's not the same thing and being monthly doesn't help either.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:54 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:59 am
Peach wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:51 am Eh. Unless it's a bi yearly 20 episode a season show or something, I don't think it will be good. Would rather they just stick to movies. They're fun, always high quality, get me to the theater with friends. Super was just bad. Characters are always acting silly and weird like that special with Vegeta's brother. Honestly think i prefer GT to it.
A seasonal anime would definitely be the way to go, both in terms of production quality and writing. In terms of GT, between it and Super, both aren't very good continuation compared to the original manga.

A seasonal concept does not guarantee quality, although i'd support the idea if it did give us a high quality run.
I still somehow doubt that will happen. TOEI has a tendency towards doing full runs.
DB has always been a weekly anime. if it would time return, chances are still big it's fulltime.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:33 am

Nah, no faith lost here. Dragon Ball is my favorite anime series but it's also my favorite manga series and frankly, I prefer the manga. So as long as Toriyama's still writing it, I'll keep reading it regardless of the illustrator!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:20 pm

No. I was a fan since 2002 so one show ending won't change that plus Super never did much for me to begin with .
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:21 am

I feel I should ask the question as too if we deserve the anime coming back as a fandom? Like, Toei does what they do because money but if they brought it back how much of an audience would it really have when I hear a lot of talk about the show being bad, Moro arc being boring and The Broly Movie being a Rehash and Nastolgia Bait, I gotta ask the question as to if we should really get the anime back and it actually please people.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:13 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:21 amIf they brought it back how much of an audience would it really have when I hear a lot of talk about the show being bad, Moro arc being boring and The Broly Movie being a Rehash and Nastolgia Bait ?
Fans having issues with it doesn't mean they outright don't like it or wouldn't watch new content. Broly made 125 million at the box office and Super's anime resulted in he franchise currently being at its most profitable.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:21 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:13 am
DiscountDabi wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:21 amIf they brought it back how much of an audience would it really have when I hear a lot of talk about the show being bad, Moro arc being boring and The Broly Movie being a Rehash and Nastolgia Bait ?
Fans having issues with it doesn't mean they outright don't like it or wouldn't watch new content. Broly made 125 million at the box office and Super's anime resulted in he franchise currently being at its most profitable.
I agree that it is profidable and that no matter what if it comes back Toei is gonna make a lot of money off of it. But a lot of people hated the super anime and don't think the Moro arc is very good. Broly was received possitivley for the most part there are people who either think it was a fluke, was also bad, or think it was an enjoyable story deviod slug fest.

Basically what I'm asking is do you think the Dragon Ball Community has enough faith to put into the Anime returning for it to actually be enjoyable aswell as profitable?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:48 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:21 amDo you think the Dragon Ball Community has enough faith to put into the Anime returning for it to actually be enjoyable as well as profitable?
I think the reception will be as good or bad as the product Toei decides to put out. If they put out original stories that are well written and well produced, then fans will naturally like it. If we get something like Broly where the story isn't original but the production value is high, fans will give credit where it's deserved and call out the unoriginal story. If we get something like Super 1.0 (god forbid) where it's unoriginal and both the writing and production are a mess, then fans will rightfully call them out on it.

The Moro arc may not be perfect, but at least it isn't a rushed nostalgia trip like Super's previous stories. It's a new concept that's taking its time to develop, and if that's the first of things to come, then I believe Super has a bright future ahead of it.

GodPrince91

Post by GodPrince91 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:19 am

Not really, as a matter of fact it keeps me interested in the Manga where Vegeta is given respect by toyotaro. Toei makes it a mission to make Vegeta a fodder for Goku every single damn time. To them vegeta is not an important character with unique storyline but a cheap plot device that they undermine every chance they get in order to prop up Goku's heroics and strength. :cry:

I'm really hoping in this recent moro arc, vegeta will land the deciding blow on Moro OR shares the victory with goku 50/50. If its something like RoF where Toriyama dealt a low blow to vegeta and his fans, then I am officially done with this franchise.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:55 am

GodPrince91 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:19 amIn the Manga Vegeta is given respect by toyotaro. Toei makes it a mission to make Vegeta a fodder for Goku every single damn time.

I'm really hoping in this recent moro arc, vegeta will land the deciding blow on Moro OR shares the victory with goku 50/50.

If its something like RoF where Toriyama dealt a low blow to vegeta and his fans, then I am officially done with this franchise.
In the anime's version of RF, Goku wasn't allowed to hit Freeza more than 2-3 times, while Vegeta was the one to put him down. He may not have gotten the kill, but Toei made sure he was the one to come out on top when it came to the fight. His fights with Frost and Cabba were more or less the same between the 2 versions, but his fight with Magetta was leagues better in the anime. Toyotaro did make him look better in the Black arc, but in doing so they ruined Black by making him Vegeta's push over. In the anime however, Vegeta's loss during their first fight established Black as a real threat and Vegeta's victory at the end felt earned. In the TOP he got way more to do in the anime's version compared to the manga's. His fight with Toopo was an actual fight as Toppo was a real threat to everyone. The way he went out was also more impactful in the anime. His fight with Broly definitely made up for whatever shortcomings he previously had.

I think it will take him and Goku's new techniques to end the fight as Moro is a very different type of character from what we're used to.

I can't read minds but I've seen enough "I'm done with the franchise if X happens" to know you'll probably be back for the next arc. Looking at Super as a whole, I think Vegeta's fans have gotten more out of this revival than Goku's, despite him being the main character.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:41 am

New anime could still happen at some point. We had to wait three years between the Cell and Buu arcs of Kai, and even longer between GT and Kai. It'll happen eventually.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:28 am

It depends what you mean by 'loose interest'.
If you mean partake in discourse, I'm actually more inclined to discuss Dragon Ball when new content isn't coming out. It means the boards are less busy which normally makes for more substantive discussion (as the majority of posters aren't reacting to something, and usually aren't quite so new). I also generally like a series/product that is complete, so I normally don't want to discuss something as it's being created.
It also doesn't help that Super in general isn't really additive, so knowing the series I love is being diluted makes me less enthusiastic to talk about it. Broly seems to be the sole exception but it was being weighed down by Super's baggage and was too little too late for me to start talking about it online again.
If you mean financially support it, I don't really care about paying for this series any more, the new content (as I've mentioned) doesn't interest me and the, uh, 'preservation' releases by other companies are just as unappealing at this point.

tl;dr Super's ongoing release doesn't make me more likely to discuss Dragon Ball, it actually has the opposite effect. I'll always re-read Dragon Ball every so often, with or without new shitty releases.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:38 am

It doesn't make me lose interest, but there is a lull in the fandom overall that makes me less attentive to DB related discussions. I've always been on the fence about future DB projects even though I still get excited whenever something is announced. Modern DB tends to be somewhat more of a miss than a hit with me, so I am upset that the new installment isn't coming soon, but I am also a little relieved.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Well, Super somehow tied the knots for me after being a fan for over 20 years...
I saw the DBZ run on TV when it was hot in Europe and Germany, and I was hyped by GT continuing what I loved in Z,
tough it made the taste in my mouth little sour. I was hooked on it as I expected Goku to turn back to adult and the series going and going (as I had the idea and loved the idea as a kid, that anime is neverending being used to villain of the week format).
I was sad that GT ended so short + the whole show has this depressing vibe (dark visuals, dark and serious score, Piccolo dying and everyone getting old). This was before I have discovered Daizex (Kanzenshuu) in 2005, therefore I had no idea what is going on and what the news are besides what some local fans were telling others.

Well, everyone was crazy with Dragon Ball AF and after we discovered that it is just BS, the games kept my interest and I did return to DB and DBZ trough games and sometimes a rewatch of the 3 series and movies, then the new movies came and later Super was announced.
Super for me was that continuation that I didn't get as a kid and I watched the show like still being a kid and I liked it more than GT, tough have some criticism for some ideas, but after it ended, I felt like whole. That was the continuation of Dragon Ball that I loved as a kid.
Super Broly movie was really nice to look at and nice extra and I am not much interested in continuation.
Xenoverse 2 was kinda fun, tough I don't like the battle mechanics much and FighterZ was a treat for me as a fan of fighters. That game for me is perfect, plays perfect, that artstyle is best representation of the show that we have.
But this ended with Kakarot for me, it is after years the first Dragon Ball game that I have not bought.
That game looks nice, even my friend recomended it to me, that as a fan, I would enjoy it... but I don't feel the hype anymore and I have played the story countless times and instead of dwelling in the same Dragon Ball world and doing repetitive typical japanese grinding, I will play some Final Fantasy instead.

I am happy that we have got Super and I will be happy for any new movie in the future and I will still be a DB fan, but that intesive fandom ended for me. I was on this forum daily in past, but now we have not much to discuss except for the Super manga and I sometimes read it, little by little just to get a little bit of new Dragon Ball, but I am not that excited for it anymore :)

PS: I really loved the Universal Tournament and was kinda bummed about not seeing what Goten and Trunks are doing and what others are thinking. The ending was little abrupt, as to this day, I am bummed that we didn't got the true to the manga Z/epilogue ending with Goku giving the mantle to Uub.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88