Would Frieza have kept Vegeta alive if he killed Goku in Resurrection F?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Would Frieza have kept Vegeta alive if he killed Goku in Resurrection F?

Post by Peach » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:59 am

Frieza invited Vegeta to be the supreme commander of the Frieza Force if he killed Goku.

Would he have kept that promise if Vegeta was still evil and killed Goku?

I used to think Frieza hated all Saiyans, but then i remembered he let Broly and Paragus in

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Would Frieza have kept Vegeta alive if he killed Goku in Resurrection F?

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:22 pm

Only if he had some usage of keeping him around, but he'd probably kill him after.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:09 pm

Hard to say. Freeza tolerated a grudgingly complicit Vegeta for decades -- this was when the Saiyan Prince couldn't so much as challenge Freeza's personal bodyguards, though. A Vegeta with power similar to the kind that challenged the tyrant in his hard laboured ultimate form in ROF? I can't see Freeza tolerating that for long. Vegeta would either need to somehow weaken himself or remain stagnant at best while Freeza puts as much distance between them as he can with continued training. I'm not even sure that would placate him though and it would go against Vegeta's character to do something like that.

It's like Freeza's proposal to Goku of becoming his subordinate during their fight. Personality differences aside, Goku's rapid progression of strength all but confirmed Freeza's worst fears about the potential danger of the Super Saiyan legend. Within the span of months Vegeta had gone from equalling a mid-tier grunt like Cui to locking fists with Freeza in his suppressed form. For Goku, it would provide a temporary ceasefire at the most. Freeza could use any reason to justify handing out a death warrant for Goku just like with Vegeta.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:29 am

Frieza had a problem with Vegeta when he was disobedient and rebellious.

Remember that Vegeta hardly challenged Frieza's power back in Namek, so Frieza didn't really have a bone with him. It was Goku and Trunks who scarred him physically as well as mentally.

I think that, as long as Vegeta was subservient after SSGSS Goku's death, Frieza would indeed have him as his general.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:53 pm

At that moment, yes. He didn't think Vegeta had the Super Saiyan forms, and therefor thought he was too weak to be a challenge. If Vegeta joined Frieza and then later down the line showed the ability to go SSBlue, that would catch Frieza off guard and I'm not sure how he'd react.

Frieza has a soft spot for Vegeta. In Bardock: Father of Goku, Frieza ignored Vegeta's lack of respect and gave into his demands for a harder mission. In Guldo's flashback, it was Frieza who stopped him from attacking Vegeta. In ROF, Frieza went to earth to kill Goku, not Goku and Vegeta. Same for the Broly movie. If Vegeta went to Frieza right now and asked to join his army, Frieza would let him.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:52 pm

I can't be sure.

His motivation in the past was to wipe out all the Saiyans because they were a threat to him. But since he was a surrogate father figure to Vegeta he might have kept him alive - for some time at least.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Whis

Post by Whis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:04 pm

Well, Freeza probably saw him as the strongest candidate for a general he could ever have. As devious as he is I think he actually meant what he said if Vegeta would obey his commands but he surely forgets that Vegeta has come a long way since the saiyan saga.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:44 am

I think Frieza would have kept his promise. I see him as a lawful evil rather than a chaotic or neutral evil. He's capable of a lot of things, but making false promises seems a little out of character for him. If he promised Vegeta a place by his side, he would have given it to him. Unlike Goku, Vegeta isn't a goodie-two-shoes, so Frieza can tolerate him. Even after killing most of the Saiyan race, he always enjoyed keeping Vegeta around as his pet monkey. Besides, with his army in the state it was in, he needed new, powerful allies.

Only thing I could see making him change his mind is seeing his Blue form. As others pointed out, he didn't know Vegeta could do that. Maybe he only made that promise to Vegeta because he thought he was lightyears ahead of him with his Golden Form. When you have the kind of structure that Frieza's army has, the strong lead, so someone being close to your own power means your job is at risk.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 am

TysonWine wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:53 pm At that moment, yes. He didn't think Vegeta had the Super Saiyan forms, and therefor thought he was too weak to be a challenge. If Vegeta joined Frieza and then later down the line showed the ability to go SSBlue, that would catch Frieza off guard and I'm not sure how he'd react.

Frieza has a soft spot for Vegeta. In Bardock: Father of Goku, Frieza ignored Vegeta's lack of respect and gave into his demands for a harder mission. In Guldo's flashback, it was Frieza who stopped him from attacking Vegeta. In ROF, Frieza went to earth to kill Goku, not Goku and Vegeta. Same for the Broly movie. If Vegeta went to Frieza right now and asked to join his army, Frieza would let him.
No he doesn't lmao, Freeza has zero respect or regard for Vegeta, which is partly why Vegeta hates him more than he ever hated Goku lol.

He had no idea Vegeta lived on Earth, that why he didn't look for him in RoF. As for the Guldo scene, it was the other way around. Freeza also let Paragus & Broly kill Vegeta in exchange for dibs on Goku.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:07 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:52 pm I can't be sure.

His motivation in the past was to wipe out all the Saiyans because they were a threat to him. But since he was a surrogate father figure to Vegeta he might have kept him alive - for some time at least.
There's nothing in the series to suggest that Freeza was anything more to him than his boss. Idk why so many Western fans have this headcanon of Freeza being the Piccolo to Vegeta's Gohan.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:02 pm

I can see Freeza wanting to keep Vegeta around. He seems like the kind of person who enjoys being surrounded by people who hate him but are too weak to do anything about it.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:43 pm

In RoF, I don't think Frieza had the man-power in his empire that he use to have. So that could mean he'd be willing to make a compromise and have Vegeta on board, at least for the time being.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:17 pm

No.

Freeza would murder Vegeta the second he turns his back to him. Freeza was just looking for a way to kill two birds with one stone.