What's missing in Super.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What's missing in Super.

Post by Peach » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:44 pm

Anyone else feel like that the series has been held back by the characters aging or not really changing?

They were constantly changing in Dragon Ball an DBZ. Every arc, everyone looked a little bit older. After Cell, it skips ahead to Gohan as a teenager meeting Hercule's daughter. It had a flow, a natural progression. Super feels caught in suspended animation, stuck in a place where the characters don't really change. Instead of moving forward and watching everyone grow, it's stuck in cartoon time where it's just another villain of the week.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What's missing in Super.

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:41 pm

it depends ... I have always felt that the "timeskip" in z were exaggerated and that we missed "several things" that happened ...
Gohan went from being his father's successor to a human that wants to have a earthling life normal ... so, unlike other mments, it doesn't feel natural at all ...

enjoying the moment is not a bad idea either

what could be better if they "pass" the End of z is not that I am interested in goten and trunks but it is better that they give a rest to the previous cast composed of humans

it is necessary? not much there could be a retcon and all right

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:39 am

That's the biggest thing I miss from the original story. It gave the sense of these characters having real lives as their physical and fashion appearances changed on a constant basis. Now everyone's so afraid of leaving the status quo that Goku and Vegeta can't even get their outfits slightly changed much less replaced, something the original was never afraid of.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:44 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:39 am That's the biggest thing I miss from the original story. It gave the sense of these characters having real lives as their physical and fashion appearances changed on a constant basis. Now everyone's so afraid of leaving the status quo that Goku and Vegeta can't even get their outfits slightly changed much less replaced, something the original was never afraid of.
Vegeta's outfit actually regressed. He's back to wearing armor when he'd clearly abandoned it in the Buu era.

At least Tenshinhan got some cool robes.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:01 am

Of course, Goten, Trunks and Marron are the biggest offenders here. Two teenagers and an almost pre-teen still looking like little kids. All in the name of nostalgia and the afraid of leaving the safe zone.

Clearly the timeskip isn't the problem, it's been six years since Majin Buu saga, after all. And while they did cram so much in just two years, it's still not an excuse for not having any change in the appearance and outfits. It is one of the major problems of this unfortunate series indeed. We can only hope that if Toyotaro keeps doing his stuff after Moro saga, things will be different or at least there will be a timeskip to AGE 784.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:10 am

I understand that some want watch to uub, goten and trunks to participate but what are they supposed to expect marron?

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 am

Tai Lung wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:10 am I understand that some want watch to uub, goten and trunks to participate but what are they supposed to expect marron?
I think the complaint is that they still look like children despite how much time has elapsed. I doubt anyone expects Marron to be a major character.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:29 am

Grimlock wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:01 amWe can only hope that if Toyotaro keeps doing his stuff after Moro saga, things will be different or at least there will be a time skip to AGE 784.
I think even if we go past 84 things will be the same. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling things will just continue as if years haven't passed since Buu. Uub and the 28th Tenkaichi will probably just be tacked on at the end, regardless of how many years have passed since the time it was meant to happen. At this point I think the epilogue will be completely different form what we currently have in the manga.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:36 pm

As much as I would love form the cage to age up in Super, what matter more is constructing interesting and compelling narrative and coincide with their growth.

I hate to bring this up but... Dragon Ball GT. I like that show. But one of, if not the biggest, storytelling pitfall it suffered from was that despite the cast maturing, there wasn't really any interesting character arcs or narratives that related to their personal growth. The closest GT came to this was Majin Boo fusing with Oob. But that became redundant in the grand scheme of the narrative very quickly.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:51 pm

It’s definitely a problem, yes.
And it’s even worse in the anime because many times they had no clue what to do with some characters.
Why the heck do they keep holding Marron in their arms as if she were a baby? But most importantly: why does everyone always wear the same clothes? This is prevalent in the anime: was it a lack of time to do more design sheets?

At least in the manga Toyotaro actually put some effort and came up with some different clothes. There we see 18 and Krillin in their house-clothing, Trunks and Bulma actually change clothes, Vegeta and Goku are seen wearing a tank top when hanging out at Capsule Corp (Vegeta is not stuck in a blue shirt for casual clothing), Pan never ages too, etcetera etcetera.
I honestly can’t stand seeing Goku always either in his orange gi or in his farmer clothes. The 2008 special at least showed us him eating in his farmer clothes without the jacket, but in Super he never took that jacket off.

Luckily Broly’s movie seems to be going in the right direction. There we have Bulma changing more outfits than she probably did in 131 episodes of Super. Vegeta and Goku get some winter coats, with Vegeta also getting a training otufit, Trunks at least had the decency to wear a different color of his usual clothes.

Basically, the main problem is that in the anime they try to show the characters too many times, and they are stuck in the same personality and clothing as always therefore it seems like things aren’t moving forward at all.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:52 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:44 am
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:39 am That's the biggest thing I miss from the original story. It gave the sense of these characters having real lives as their physical and fashion appearances changed on a constant basis. Now everyone's so afraid of leaving the status quo that Goku and Vegeta can't even get their outfits slightly changed much less replaced, something the original was never afraid of.
Vegeta's outfit actually regressed. He's back to wearing armor when he'd clearly abandoned it in the Buu era.

At least Tenshinhan got some cool robes.

Vegeta’s outfit did not regress. He gives up the armor in the Buu saga because armor is not allowed in the tournament it has nothing to do with regression

Note I am absolutely sick of the Cell Saga armor too and just in general everyone being in the same outfit all the time. But people throw around the word regression too much

The Broly movie got it right. When Vegeta is just training at the vacation home he would wear casual training clothes. When he goes off to fight an actual battle he would wear armor.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:20 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:29 amI think even if we go past 84 things will be the same. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling things will just continue as if years haven't passed since Buu.
That would be a shame. All the more reason for the series never come back then. If I want to see characters unable to change or get older, I'd watch Pokémon. Then again, I think Ash alone has changed more his outfit than Goku and company in the past few years.
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:29 amUub and the 28th Tenkaichi will probably just be tacked on at the end, regardless of how many years have passed since the time it was meant to happen.
At this moment, there's no reason for it to have any change anyway. That Bulma's line about not having seen Goku for five years is still valid, we just need to round it up (as in a few other cases too) so that it still makes sense.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:26 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 am
Tai Lung wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:10 am I understand that some want watch to uub, goten and trunks to participate but what are they supposed to expect marron?
I think the complaint is that they still look like children despite how much time has elapsed. I doubt anyone expects Marron to be a major character.
I still do not see it necessary is to say piccolo stays the same always in appearance ... it does not mean that it does not change

I would understand that they want to see the characters grow old ... because they expect something from them ... for example that they no longer treat goten and trunks as children and they allowing them to participate in future events

but if you only change the "wrap" keeping the characters as useless as always Marron GT and bra Gt what is the use?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:14 am

Remember that 16 years old Krillin still looked like a kid. Marron seems to mostly take from her father so her still being a midget shouldn’t be a problem. The problem is when they treat her as a toddler.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:30 am

When you think about it, it's incredible how much DBZ dared to be different from original series.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:22 am

Psajdak wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:30 amWhen you think about it, it's incredible how much DBZ dared to be different from original series.
Everything that was in Z was introduced in DB. Z simply continued and developed what was already there.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:52 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:22 am Everything that was in Z was introduced in DB. Z simply continued and developed what was already there.
I'm too bored to argue, but basically you are wrong.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:05 am

Psajdak wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:52 amI'm too bored to argue, but basically you are wrong.
If you're too "bored" to say anything meaningful then you shouldn't have bothered at all.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:29 pm

Good writing and consistency

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:08 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:05 am
Psajdak wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:52 amI'm too bored to argue, but basically you are wrong.
If you're too "bored" to say anything meaningful then you shouldn't have bothered at all.
Exactly. Put in effort or say nothing. What's expected of people on this forum is pretty clear; let's live up to that.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.