Has DBS Added Too Many Storylines & Elements To Match Up Believably With Z's Final Chapter?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Has DBS Added Too Many Storylines & Elements To Match Up Believably With Z's Final Chapter?

Post by theherodjl » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:43 pm

The last few chapters of Z do indicate that some new events may have occurred during the 10-year timeskip and that Goku & Vegeta have since improved in strength: however, do you suppose that DBS might have over-saturated the timeskip with so many additions, whether mundane or grand, to the story that the final chapter of Z is now struggling to believably imply that all those events happened and there was easily room for much more? Because to me, it doesn't feel like DBS fluidly connects to the EoZ and that the EoZ may have to be retconned to account for all the new things that DBS established.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Has DBS Added Too Many Storylines & Elements To Match Up Believably With Z's Final Chapter?

Post by Psajdak » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:06 am

Well, so far I don't think DBS messed with EoZ, like, at all, since there were no serious battles, and we could have always assumed that characters haven't stopped training in that era of peace.

It is, however, a little bit hard to believe that, when rewatching EoZ, that things like Zamasu, and ToP happened in the meantime.

Not sure about Uub though, as far as I know, he never ended up that much of an interesting character, and most fans just didn't care about him, he was more like a plot device, and even in GT, instead of ending up as one of the main characters, he just had his 15 minutes of fame.

Broly seems like his replacement now.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Has DBS Added Too Many Storylines & Elements To Match Up Believably With Z's Final Chapter?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:27 am

Psajdak wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:06 am Well, so far I don't think DBS messed with EoZ, like, at all, since there were no serious battles, and we could have always assumed that characters haven't stopped training in that era of peace.

It is, however, a little bit hard to believe that, when rewatching EoZ, that things like Zamasu, and ToP happened in the meantime.

Not sure about Uub though, as far as I know, he never ended up that much of an interesting character, and most fans just didn't care about him, he was more like a plot device, and even in GT, instead of ending up as one of the main characters, he just had his 15 minutes of fame.

Broly seems like his replacement now.
Zamasu happens only in the Future timeline and remains consistent with End of Z. There was no indication back then that Trunks' timeline was fine. Just because he killed the Androids and Cell doesn't mean that nobody else would ever rise to threaten it.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:33 am

I think BOG should've been the only event set before EOZ, as everything else being after would've cut all limits off what they could do.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:04 pm

I liked how the manga already tied in Uub, having god power, due to kid Buu already having it, after absorbing Dai Kai. We could end Super anytime and it justify's Goku's interest in Uub.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:21 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:27 am Zamasu happens only in the Future timeline and remains consistent with End of Z. There was no indication back then that Trunks' timeline was fine. Just because he killed the Androids and Cell doesn't mean that nobody else would ever rise to threaten it.
I wasn't talking about inconsistencies, only that before Beerus era happened, and for years believing that nothing big happened between Buu saga, and EoZ, it is just kind of weird that Goku and Vegeta on that last Z tournament are maybe even above Zeno.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:21 pm

Not just yet. I strongly believe EoZ won't be retconned, I don't think Toyo would even be down with that being the fanboy that he is.

IIRC, Bulma complains Goku didn't even bother to say hello for 5 years, and by the Moro arc we are I think on the sixth year of the 10 years hiatus, so Bulma would be one year off with her complain, which could be waved away by saying she was just rounding up the numbers to give more weight to her complain(also exaggerating things a bit is something we do every day). If they keep bringing in new foes after Moro then some things will stop making sense for EoZ.

Aside of that, I don't see as of now more stuff that could make EoZ senseless. Pan is a baby with remarkable potential, Uub was mentioned and even told about his existence to Goku. I would even go as far as saying DBS is trying to give Goten and Trunks a real reason for not caring for their training in the years to come, by overlooking them and not giving them much attention.
Psajdak wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:21 pm I wasn't talking about inconsistencies, only that before Beerus era happened, and for years believing that nothing big happened between Buu saga, and EoZ, it is just kind of weird that Goku and Vegeta on that last Z tournament are maybe even above Zeno.
Why do you think they might be above Zeno by EoZ??? right now they are not even above Beerus

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:57 pm

Bulma's "5 years" line might stop being accurate (it might already not be) if they keep going but ultimately DBS doesn't contradict EOZ at all. Beerus and Whis are somewhere else. Broly is somewhere else. Freeza is somewhere else. EOZ still works.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:58 pm

Well Super's entire existence contradicts end of Z. I've com to accept it will be retconned, it has to be. For instance Goku kept up his training, but he lost his fighting spirit, he wasn't making the same gains because he had loss purpose. Uub gives him that purpose. However in a universe with Broly, Hit, Jiren, Kale, and Caulifla, it doesn't make sense for him to lose that. Ten years of peace is gone, Bulma's five year line, Goten, and Trunks don't change (Still time, but they should have started) Ect. End of Z works no longer.

It's sad but what can you do, hopefully they just make something equally good if not better (hard in my opinion, the only ending I like more is GT's but far to early for Super to replicate that)

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:58 am

Psajdak wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:21 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:27 am Zamasu happens only in the Future timeline and remains consistent with End of Z. There was no indication back then that Trunks' timeline was fine. Just because he killed the Androids and Cell doesn't mean that nobody else would ever rise to threaten it.
I wasn't talking about inconsistencies, only that before Beerus era happened, and for years believing that nothing big happened between Buu saga, and EoZ, it is just kind of weird that Goku and Vegeta on that last Z tournament are maybe even above Zeno.
The point of Zeno is to serve as a power ceiling for the main characters so that they don't get too strong, so they're not more powerful than him and his multiversal-level ability. They're probably not even Grand Priest or top 5 in the multiverse by the time of End of Z.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:26 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:21 pm Why do you think they might be above Zeno by EoZ??? right now they are not even above Beerus
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:58 am The point of Zeno is to serve as a power ceiling for the main characters so that they don't get too strong, so they're not more powerful than him and his multiversal-level ability. They're probably not even Grand Priest or top 5 in the multiverse by the time of End of Z.
I don't know what to think, to me Zeno is yet another deity character, and there may even be someone above him.
Even right now, no matter how absolute he is, Super Shenron can undo his actions, which is something.

As for Vegeta and Goku, not that much time passed since Beerus's appearance, and their last training, and in the meantime they became insanely more powerful.

People thought for years that Freeza was a dead fodder, yet now he is now above everyone in DBZ, so anything can happen.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:45 am

Psajdak wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:26 am
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:21 pm Why do you think they might be above Zeno by EoZ??? right now they are not even above Beerus
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:58 am The point of Zeno is to serve as a power ceiling for the main characters so that they don't get too strong, so they're not more powerful than him and his multiversal-level ability. They're probably not even Grand Priest or top 5 in the multiverse by the time of End of Z.
I don't know what to think, to me Zeno is yet another deity character, and there may even be someone above him.
Even right now, no matter how absolute he is, Super Shenron can undo his actions, which is something.

As for Vegeta and Goku, not that much time passed since Beerus's appearance, and their last training, and in the meantime they became insanely more powerful.

People thought for years that Freeza was a dead fodder, yet now he is now above everyone in DBZ, so anything can happen.
Zeno, as far as we know, completely erased Zamasu, who was granted immortality by the Super Dragon Balls. So he remains multiversal level and able to undo the Super Dragon Balls.

I don't see the point of introducing Zeno if they'll have Goku surpass him in sheer destructive power. Beerus already fits the role of "deity that Goku wants to surpass". Zeno would just be overkill. He's there to remind people that Saiyans are just ants compared to the top-dogs of the multiverse (Angels, Grand Priest, Zeno) and I don't see that ever changing.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:27 pm

funrush wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:57 pm Bulma's "5 years" line might stop being accurate (it might already not be) if they keep going but ultimately DBS doesn't contradict EOZ at all. Beerus and Whis are somewhere else. Broly is somewhere else. Freeza is somewhere else. EOZ still works.
That very belief is something of an issue. We, the readers & viewers, simply have to assume that everyone & anyone introduced in DBS simply lie someplace offscreen and that there is absolutely no reason at all to mention the events of DBS. Even if it be a very quick & easily-missed mention, DBS is completely ignored by the characters for the few chapters at the EoZ. It just doesn't seem likely to me that all characters seen would conveniently know not to talk about the past 10 years and then refer back to Majin Boo as though it was the last significant event that they had experienced together.
When the multiverse was almost erased and a plethora of greater challenges & conflicts had since occurred, its a little incredibly odd that absolutely no reference need be included regarding a new adventure.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:47 pm

I don't think it's that odd, they can go 2 chapters without mentioning the events of DBS. They talk about Buu cause they gotta introduce Uub.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:29 pm

I just re-read EoZ. Bulma's line is actually Goku's. Bulma tells Goku he doesn't even go to their meetings because he is off training somewhere, which fits if, after Moro, Goku decides to go train somewhere else (be it Whis, Caulifla, Jiren, or Broly).
There is no mention to peace between Buu and EoZ, although Goku tells Vegeta he has been training for this moment: fighting Uub. This could also be fixed by having Uub actually have god ki or something, maybe Toyo will set something up regarding Daikaioshin. I mean expand on it.

Anyway, all of this was already in jeopardy when DBS was decided to happen between Buu and EoZ.

Oh, what does not make sense is Bulma complaining about getting older when Goku notices it, and considering using the DBs to fix that, because in the Broly movie it was implied she was already doing that and was about to do it again. Although is just a gag.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Goku already mentioned Uub being Buu's reincarnation directly to Vegeta (DBS Episode 30) which contradicts Vegeta not knowing who the "mysterious fighter" that Goku wanted to face so badly was.

That can just be a Toei' faux pas though.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:37 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 pm Goku already mentioned Uub being Buu's reincarnation directly to Vegeta (DBS Episode 30) which contradicts Vegeta not knowing who the "mysterious fighter" that Goku wanted to face so badly was.

That reminded me that Piccolo in EoZ mentions this one (vs Uub) was going to be the best fight and Dende looks surprised. Which is weird because he was the one telling Goku that the re-incarnation he ordered had already arrived and that he should take care of his training.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:20 pm

So a few inconsistencies are there, maybe EoZ will have to be tweaked a little to address these minor errors?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:43 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 pm Goku already mentioned Uub being Buu's reincarnation directly to Vegeta (DBS Episode 30) which contradicts Vegeta not knowing who the "mysterious fighter" that Goku wanted to face so badly was.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is a Toei thing. If I recall, in the manga Goku doesn't learn about Uub until the ToP, when Dende shows him from the Lookout. Vegeta isn't there for that, and he hasn't been informed afterwards either.
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:29 pm This could also be fixed by having Uub actually have god ki or something, maybe Toyo will set something up regarding Daikaioshin. I mean expand on it.
It's very possible that that's exactly what Toyotaro was doing when he explained that the Grand Supreme Kai's god powers had gone over to the evil half when Buu split. Set up the possibility of Uub inheriting god ki, and shut down the people who complain that "Goku shouldn't be excited about Uub after all the god stuff". Pretty effective.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 pm

At this point, unless Uub is introduced as having some sort of ridiculous potential, I dont see the point of him with Super. With Broly and the ever moving goalpost that is Beerus and the GoDs, I dont see much reason for Goku to train Uub. Unless they spin it as hes raising the next generation of defenders and Uub has the potential of leading them.