Next movie teaser... Raditz eating an apple while sitting on Daishinkan's corpse...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Next movie teaser... Raditz eating an apple while sitting on Daishinkan's corpse...

Post by Psajdak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:12 pm

I don't care about reasons, I am just curious what would your reactions be if such a thing happened.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Next movie teaser... Raditz eating an apple while sitting on Daishinkan's corpse...

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:25 pm

Probably a great "WTF".

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Next movie teaser... Raditz eating an apple while sitting on Daishinkan's corpse...

Post by theherodjl » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:31 pm

Raditz: "Well I guess he's the "Grand Minister of the dead" now! Ha ha!"

The view then changes to a great, new evil's shadow looming over and beckoning Raditz to come along.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Is Raditz even popular enough of a character to bring back? I would think they’d be more likely to “canonize” Cooler over resurrecting the long forgotten starter villain of the Saiyan arc.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:56 pm

I'd actually love to see Raditz return. Just seeing him in casual scenes with Gokuu and the others would be a nice experience and something I'm sure the actors would love to play.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:59 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:54 pm Is Raditz even popular enough of a character to bring back?
I doubt it, but he IS kinda Goku's brother.

Not to mention no one cared about Freeza, or 17 during their years long absence, and nowadays they are some of the most popular characters, arguably even more than Gohan who was one of DBZ main characters.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:04 pm

Intrigued, confused, and a bit sad

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:05 pm

Psajdak wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:59 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:54 pm Is Raditz even popular enough of a character to bring back?
I doubt it, but he IS kinda Goku's brother.

Not to mention no one cared about Freeza, or 17 during their years long absence, and nowadays they are some of the most popular characters, arguably even more than Gohan who was one of DBZ main characters.
Freeza has always been a popular character. He even had his own song. That was what inspired Toriyama to bring him back. Unless you count Team Rocket or something, he’s probably the most iconic anime villain there is.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:23 pm

We are at least one long arc too early for something like that to happen, so I'd be surprised and also pretty disappointed. The Raditz part is whatever, it can work and it can not work depending on execution, but you need to lay some groundwork before suddenly killing the Grand Minister. Imagine if Future Trunks showed up and cut Frieza in half while Goku was still fighting him in base form on Namek. That's the level of "too early" this would be at.
In short, I wouldn't like it.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:08 pm

I'd be confused but also happy to see Saiyans being casual about murder and death again. It was their one interesting trait and it's seriously bummed me out how little its had to do with the modern Saiyans (except for Broly)
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:26 am

It'd be the same reaction I gave in the thread about Dragon Ball lacking creativity. The last two movies in a row have had to rely on bringing back old villains because Toriyama can't think up a new character anymore.

This would then be the third movie in a row where the same is true.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Thunderbird wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:26 amThe last two movies in a row have had to rely on bringing back old villains because Toriyama can't think up a new character anymore. This would then be the third movie in a row where the same is true.
If you were in charge of DB, you'd have a hard time justifying to the shareholders not bringing someone back based on the massive success of Broly.

Out of the 3 DB movies we've gotten (BOG, RF, Broly), the original BOG made the least amount of money, while the copycat Broly made the most amount, by far. I don't like DB's lack of originality anymore than you do, but the numbers don't lie, this fan base at large likes the franchise to be a revolving door of specific ideas from the past.

When it comes to the next movie, I think Cooler is a sure thing, and if it does as well as Broly, the idea of original movies will be out the door completely.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Laugh at how stupid it is and realize people would eat it up anyway, and then feel sad that this series is doomed to go on forever with ridiculous ideas that make money from brand loyalty alone.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:35 pm
Thunderbird wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:26 amThe last two movies in a row have had to rely on bringing back old villains because Toriyama can't think up a new character anymore. This would then be the third movie in a row where the same is true.
If you were in charge of DB, you'd have a hard time justifying to the shareholders not bringing someone back based on the massive success of Broly.

Out of the 3 DB movies we've gotten (BOG, RF, Broly), the original BOG made the least amount of money, while the copycat Broly made the most amount, by far. I don't like DB's lack of originality anymore than you do, but the numbers don't lie, this fan base at large likes the franchise to be a revolving door of specific ideas from the past.
I'm as cynical as the next person but this feels a little unfair to BoG. That film came out when Dragon Ball was in a huge rut. There wasn't much (if any) fanhype for the film with even longtime fans only checking it out because of curiosity. BoG basically had to pull double duty as it both had to bring back old fans and act as a springboard for future content.

The new Broly film on the other hand came out while the series was riding its post ToP high and fans were eager for new DB content. It also featured a new animation style that fans were very excited for. So, while I don't doubt the name recognition of Broly helped, the film also had a lot of other factors working in its favor.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:14 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:05 pmI'm as cynical as the next person but this feels a little unfair to BoG. That film came out when Dragon Ball was in a huge rut. There wasn't much (if any) fanhype for the film with even longtime fans only checking it out because of curiosity. BoG basically had to pull double duty as it both had to bring back old fans and act as a springboard for future content.

The new Broly film on the other hand came out while the series was riding its post ToP high and fans were eager for new DB content. It also featured a new animation style that fans were very excited for. So, while I don't doubt the name recognition of Broly helped, the film also had a lot of other factors working in its favor.
I agree with all of this, but I think studio heads only care about the bottom line, the raw numbers. We've had 3 movies: BOG made 50, RF made 65, and Broly made 125. Despite what a Super movie had going for it, I don't think an original idea would've made as much as Broly made. Broly and other classic elements are very popular with fans, and that's what they want to pay for. If by some miracle we do get an original movie next, I bet you anything it won't cross the 100 million mark.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:17 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:54 pm Is Raditz even popular enough of a character to bring back? I would think they’d be more likely to “canonize” Cooler over resurrecting the long forgotten starter villain of the Saiyan arc.
I agree, but he is Goku's underutilized brother, and he's probably more well known among casual fans than Cooler is. I still have a friend who is like "Why isn't Raditz in this game yet?" every time we play Fighterz LOL

As for that concept, it would be a super intriguing teaser. Is Raditz alive for good? Who brought him back? How did this person kill the Grand Priest, and what is his plan? Did Raditz have any input in this plan? etc. etc.

It makes you ask a lot of questions, and although it's not exactly HYPE it'd be great at making you think and speculate.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:33 pm

I thought that was for real...

Anyway, I'd say Goku and Vegeta have moved beyond Raditz at this point.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:37 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:35 pm Out of the 3 DB movies we've gotten (BOG, RF, Broly), the original BOG made the least amount of money, while the copycat Broly made the most amount, by far.
That has nothing to do with what you're implying. Had the movies been the other way around Broly would have grossed the least and Battle of Gods the most.

The main reason by far that each movie has made more money than the last is because each other has had a significantly larger release.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:01 pm

Thunderbird wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:26 am It'd be the same reaction I gave in the thread about Dragon Ball lacking creativity. The last two movies in a row have had to rely on bringing back old villains because Toriyama can't think up a new character anymore.
In that thread, I explained to you that bringing Broli back was one of several ideas that were on the table. We don't know the entire story about whose ideas were even what (since we obviously don't know what the ideas that weren't used were). Who knows what else Toriyama came up with? Who knows what other characters were in mind? We just don't, because he ultimately doesn't personally and solely dictate the future of the franchise anymore, and we don't have full transparency into the production process.

(I personally thought a Yamoshi movie coming our way was a no-brainer. Shows what I know.)

"Toriyama is creatively bankrupt / can't think up a new character anymore" is a different scenario from "Toriyama's output in reviving old characters, at the behest of corporate oversight, is creatively bankrupt." It's not necessarily a better scenario, but it's certainly a different one.

It's important to know the facts about these products and situations. I would encourage you to read what we have throughout our news archive and "Translations" section (both have the appropriate tags/filters).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:01 pmIn that thread, I explained to you that bringing Broli back was one of several ideas that were on the table. We don't know the entire story about whose ideas were even what (since we obviously don't know what the ideas that weren't used were). Who knows what else Toriyama came up with? Who knows what other characters were in mind?
None of which matters whatsoever.

Toriyama could have thought up 20 different ideas. The idea that was used still revolved around bringing back an old villain from Z which made it the second movie in a row to do so.

The man has nothing left in him anymore.