Should The Next Arc Put Goten & Trunks Back Into The Spotlight?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Should The Next Arc Put Goten & Trunks Back Into The Spotlight?

Post by theherodjl » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:54 am

Perhaps having them look slightly older as a result of a sudden growth spurt as well as a possible change in their personalities? Maybe seeing that they've grown, Goten & Trunks might want to train again and return to a more prominent position power-wise?
Yay or nay?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Rouge the Bat
Beyond Newbie

Re: Should The Next Arc Put Goten & Trunks Back Into The Spotlight?

Post by Rouge the Bat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:29 am

In the epilogue of Akira Toriyama's manga, it is said Trunks and Goten haven trained for quite a while, so why would it change now in Toyotarô's manga since we're not very far from DB's epilogue?!...
Moreover, I like havingTrunks and Goten as big teenagers only at the end of DB : it makes them look more saiyan in DB SUPER (just like Gokû who really grew up "offscreen" after having been small in size for years) and it keeps the surprise of their growth for the original manga!!...

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:30 am

They don't matter (even as Gotenks) anymore.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:43 am

I'm nit invested in them. The staff should just do what they want.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:09 pm

I think the next arc will be dedicated with the other universes with Goku and Vegeta, I don't think there will be Goten and Trunks.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:46 pm

with everything new that there has been about the plot of other universes ....
goten and trunks are less interesting to me

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:26 pm

Not them specifically, but maybe Gotenks has a better chance.

Have them mess with Potara earrings and go around the other universes on a grand tour or something.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:35 pm

Too little, too late. They're so far behind in both character development and power that there's nothing interesting that could be done with them. If we were to get an arc focused on Goku and Vegeta's sons, it might as well be Future Trunks and Gohan.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:33 pm

I could see them taking on the spotlight during an arc... Maybe the Galactic Patrol ask Goku and Vegeta to help them with some major threat that has appeared, but Goku and Vegeta tell Goten and Trunks to handle it instead since they will be the ones who have to protect the Earth in the future. The arc could even get serious with Goku and Vegeta watching from Earth and refusing to interfere, commenting that they could always use the Dragon Balls to bring them back if they get killed....or maybe Goten and Trunks are the ones who insist on fighting alone, and they tell their fathers not to interfere no matter what happens. Goku and Vegeta would have to respect a request like that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:16 pm

Yes please but I know they wouldn’t ever do that.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:28 am

That would be nice, but I doubt it'll ever happen. They have to age them up and stop making them just be Gotenks fuel.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:18 pm

The most mishandled characters in the series, it's not even close. I doubt they'll do anything since Toyo couldn't even be bothered to bring them to fight mooks the human characters had to fight. The only one of the kids allowed to do anything in modern DB is Gohan.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:00 am

No they were awful characters only to appease the small children of the fanbase.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:06 am

Only if it happens after EoZ. The manga ended with them being pretty over the whole fighting stuff, so another arc after Moro and before EoZ would retcon what we've seen Goten has become. But after EoZ, it could work with them being new people sort of speak.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:06 pm

Nah. Goten and (kid) Trunks just aren't interesting characters, so I can't bring myself to care.

Maybe if they're all grown up next time and Toriyama/Toyotaro does something new with them, I'd be inclined to change my tune, but the story would need to actually focus on them instead of just giving them shallow fight scenes and throwing them a bone because they're "underutilized" or whatever. Make them matter or put them on the shelf.

Honestly, there's nothing inherently wrong with certain characters getting shelved. Goten and Trunks are well past the point of utility; neither one of them add all that much to the series. Are we really suffering some significant net loss by not having them around? If they were suddenly given the spotlight now, I'd probably feel more annoyed than enthused.

I'm still pretty miffed that they don't seem to be aging though. Shame on the franchise heads for allowing that.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:04 pm

It's truly infuriating how they'd rather have people like Yamcha, Tien, Roshi etc.. [no disrespect, I love them too, but it just doesn't make sense] fights the small fries and whatnot, when you got people like Goten and Trunks that can decimate people 10x faster than the whole og db gang ever could. It's just dumb, and illogical. ''Oh BuT tHeY aRe KiDS!!'' Well, wasn't goku a kid during most of db? Nobody ever said anything about him constantly risking his life, meanwhile Goten and Trunks could fight guys that are literal ants to them, but everyone gets too worried for no reason
Get Fucked, C_unt

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:36 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:04 pmIt's truly infuriating how they'd rather have people like Yamcha, Tien, Roshi etc.. [no disrespect, I love them too, but it just doesn't make sense] fights the small fries and whatnot, when you got people like Goten and Trunks that can decimate people 10x faster than the whole og db gang ever could. It's just dumb, and illogical.
The issue isn't just their age, the writers just don't like to use them. Goten and Trunks weren't intended to be used long term, they were introduced in (at the time) final arc of the story with the intention of being used once for fusion (and their small battle in the beginning). If the writers want to use Goku and Vegeta's sons, they'll use the vastly more interested and developed Gohan and Future Trunks. If I had to pick between the humans or mini Goku and Future Trunks lite, I'd go with the humans every time. For story logic and consistency though, I would've sent them off to U6 to "train" with the other Saiyans there and just forget about them until the EOZ epilogue.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:03 pm

Why the hate/apathy for Goten & Trunks here? If this is how part or even half of the fanbase feels, its no wonder why they're underused and made out to be jokes.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:11 pm

theherodjl wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:03 pm Why the hate/apathy for Goten & Trunks here? If this is how part or even half of the fanbase feels, its no wonder why they're underused and made out to be jokes.
Well I think that comes from the creators' own apathy, Toriyama hasn't done anything with them since Gotenks v Super Buu, which was ultimately a one-note gag. Since modern Dragon Ball came back, he's chosen to use the likes of Krillin, Roshi, Tien, bringing back 17 and Freeza, and finally this latest arc has brought Fat Buu, Yamcha and Chiaotzu back into the fold. What does it say about Goten and Trunks that they've been passed over so many times.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:06 am

That ship sailed 5 years ago when Toriyama excluded them from Resurrection F.

Neither Toei and Toyotaro have given them anything fun for them to do because they're just not interesting characters to write around, and I blame Toriyama for this for giving them practically no personality in the original manga to work with.