Moro Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: Moro Arc

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:05 pm

theherodjl wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:52 pm ...so unfortunately, Goatboy doesn't stand a chance now due to his ego.
Did you ever really believe the bad guy might win? This is a shonen manga, not Game of Thrones.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:39 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:05 pmDid you ever really believe the bad guy might win? This is a shonen manga, not Game of Thrones.
Considering that the EoZ chapters establish that everything is hunky dory a few years later, not at all. Moro's inevitably going to lose...but it didn't have to be so pathetic.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:58 pm

experted_luke wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:33 pm How are you guys liking the Moro Arc so far? What are your current high and low points of it? How does the development of the characters suit you? Who do you think will defeat Moro? Is there anything we, as the readers, should be worried about?
The arc has been very average for me, so far. And mostly boring, unfortunately. Aside from some few very entertaining chapters or scenes.

I would say the highs have been Vegeta’s redemption arc with the Namekians, some of the gags involving Jaco and the Galactic Patrol, the reveal of Merus being an Angel, Vegeta’s training on Yardrat, Goku’s training to master Ultra Instinct Omen and his arrival on Earth.
The low points have been the very slow pacing, Goku’s characterization up until he and Vegeta went to separate ways. I am also not feeling Moro as a villain at all.

The development of the characters, aside from Vegeta, is almost non-existent to be honest. It doesn’t mean there can’t be changes at the end, and I cross my fingers Merus will show up again and complete his character arc by helping against Moro and thus sacrificing his own life for the cause.

As for Moro’s defeat, I am quite sure Vegeta will play the biggest role in his defeat.
I think, and hope, that Merus will intervene and create the opportunity for Vegeta (possibily together with Goku) to deal the final blow.

As a reader, the only thing I am worried about is an uninspired ending, that leaves the feel of a filler arc and which has no consequence on future stories. I am also worried about the finale being too predictable and thus boring. Hopefully there will be all kinds of twists to keep us engaged.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:51 pm

Imagine if authors rewrite / retcon EoZ like it being some Infinite Tsukuyomi thing where everyone is under Moro's magic hypnosis, dreaming that they live in a peaceful world, while actually providing Moro with energy, because he realized that it is more sustainable for him to keep people alive trapped in DB Matrix, than to immediately kill them by absorbing the whole planet's energy all at once.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:41 pm

When it comes to Moro arc pacing, I'm not sure if it's only Toyotaro's fault. The pacing is completely different from all the other arcs.

It could've been his decision, but it can also be because someone from Shueisha/Toei told him to drag the arc, because it's obvious the anime isnt coming back this year and they may still not have decided what the next story arc will be (assuming there will be more in the first place).

Both Digimon Adventure reboot and Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai remake announcements came from nowhere. Maybe they had other plans for DBS, but changed their minds for some reason.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Clearly, Goku will attain the mastered form as he did on ToP.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 07, 2020 9:03 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:41 pm When it comes to Moro arc pacing, I'm not sure if it's only Toyotaro's fault. The pacing is completely different from all the other arcs.

It could've been his decision, but it can also be because someone from Shueisha/Toei told him to drag the arc, because it's obvious the anime isnt coming back this year and they may still not have decided what the next story arc will be (assuming there will be more in the first place).

Both Digimon Adventure reboot and Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai remake announcements came from nowhere. Maybe they had other plans for DBS, but changed their minds for some reason.
It is because he doesn't have Toriyama's outline, he seems to be doing whatever and has no clue, entire last "chapter" was literally pointless ended where it started.

Fish out of water.