Dragon Ball - Character Development

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

experted_luke

Dragon Ball - Character Development

Post by experted_luke » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 pm

Over the many years I've watched and read Dragon Ball, one thing that always stood out to me was character development. There would be times where certain characters like Gohan had a lot of potential, not only in power, but as a character. At one point in the series, he was a key component to the Z Fighters, only to have fallen because of his interests not being in fighting. Not only this, but perhaps Toriyama just wasn't interested in giving Gohan more of a spotlight. These days, it's just Goku and Vegeta. Tien, Yamcha, Krillin, Chiaotzu, Piccolo, Goten, and Trunks, (am I missing someone?) just don't do much anymore, and in most situations, they aren't even needed. They've only done something useful recently in the Moro Arc, helping each other fight off the soldiers or whatever you'd call them while waiting for Goku and Vegeta to arrive to Earth. There is a lot to be said about character development, most of these characters previously had a use, while now, they're just the "hold them off until Goku comes" squad.

With that being said, who do you believe has taken a toll for the worse in Dragon Ball, as far as development? Who's taken a good toll as far as development? Who is a character you'd like to see do more and develop more as a character?

:thumbdown:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball - Character Development

Post by Grimlock » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:00 am

experted_luke wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 pmWho do you believe has taken a toll for the worse in Dragon Ball, as far as development?
I believe that would be Goku (and Vegeta right up there with him). Maybe it is better not having a character development than regressing in personality.
experted_luke wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 pmWho's taken a good toll as far as development?
Huh... No one? As far as I can tell, no one really changed since the last time we saw most of them (i.e in Majin Buu saga) or, like Goku, those who managed to change went for the worse.

• Goten and Trunks should already been looking and acting like proper teenagers.
• Marron should look and act like a proper 9-year-old girl.
• Bulma and her appearance issue is still a thing (and will continue to be a thing as we're gonna see by the end of the series).
• Muten Roshi still and unfortunately is the same old pervert.
• Majin Buu went from a great threat to someone who conveniently sleeps when most needed.
• Freeza went from a great threat to your every Saturday morning villain who wishes to be taller (ironically, this is what Goten, Trunks and Marron should be wishing for).

Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Gohan, Kuririn, Android 18 and Piccolo are all stagnant, but to be fair, in their cases I really don't see what else could be done. I think their personalities are in a dead end and there's nowhere else to go.
experted_luke wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 pmWho is a character you'd like to see do more and develop more as a character?
Everyone else. With special mentions to: Bardock, Gine, Raditz, King Vegeta, Tarble, Dabura and Uub.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

experted_luke

Post by experted_luke » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:46 am

Grimlock wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:00 am • Freeza went from a great threat to your every Saturday morning villain who wishes to be taller (ironically, this is what Goten, Trunks and Marron should be wishing for).
I never really did understand that wish. But yeah, Goku really did regress in personality, and your image proves it indefinitely. Instead of being the serious man he used to be, all he does is mess around and just wishes for a good fight. He always did want a good fight, but his character in Super makes him seem like he'd sacrifice the universe in order to have a good fight, which is exactly what he did. I'd like to see an English translation of that image, as I noticed the dialogue is different.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:00 am • Muten Roshi still and unfortunately is the same old pervert.
It's sad that Master Roshi still is the same old pervert, because I really wanted to see more from him. His approach on Ultra Instinct was interesting, and I wanted to see more of that. The once wise, old, master, who was always a pervert, just let that pervertedness overcome his entire character.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:00 am • Goten and Trunks should already been looking and acting like proper teenagers.
One of Dragon Ball's biggest mysteries to me.. also wondering why Future Trunks has blue hair?
Grimlock wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:00 am • Majin Buu went from a great threat to someone who conveniently sleeps when most needed.
Yeah.. why is this? Majin Buu has been hyped up multiple times only for the idea of him to get shot down and just have him sleep. Poor writing and arguably the worst way to develop a character
Grimlock wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:00 am Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Gohan, Kuririn, Android 18 and Piccolo are all stagnant, but to be fair, in their cases I really don't see what else could be done. I think their personalities are in a dead end and there's nowhere else to go
I just hope that they will grow stronger and actually become useful. Piccolo especially, as his character has gone from the reliable badass to joining the "Let's wait for Goku" crew." There are a lot of ways to fix this type of character. Toyotarou just won't go down this path.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:10 am

experted_luke wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:46 amI never really did understand that wish.
I do. Fucking with a certain character's character development is bound to happen when they remain around longer than the necessary or are brought back solely to please the fanbase, especially in cases where this character already has his development completed. If the last we saw of Freeza was in Cell saga, this would never happen.
experted_luke wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:46 amIt's sad that Master Roshi still is the same old pervert, because I really wanted to see more from him. His approach on Ultra Instinct was interesting, and I wanted to see more of that. The once wise, old, master, who was always a pervert, just let that pervertedness overcome his entire character.
I think his kind of "humor" doesn't work anymore (and maybe never did), and it can be quite disturbing to be honest. I think it's probably better to retire him. If you want humans to do something, there are others out there who can be far more competent (not that humans will do something useful anyway) without having to rely on such themes as a "joke".
experted_luke wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:46 amOne of Dragon Ball's biggest mysteries to me.. also wondering why Future Trunks has blue hair?
My in-universe explanation is that Trunks got tired of lilac hair and decided to change it. There's no reasonable out-universe explanation.
experted_luke wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:46 amYeah.. why is this? Majin Buu has been hyped up multiple times only for the idea of him to get shot down and just have him sleep. Poor writing and arguably the worst way to develop a character
That's because Majin Buu's name isn't "Goku" or "Vegeta". It's their show after all, besides humans, no one else can do something useful. So they'll always find some way that benefit much more these two protagonists.
experted_luke wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:46 amI just hope that they will grow stronger and actually become useful. Piccolo especially, as his character has gone from the reliable badass to joining the "Let's wait for Goku" crew." There are a lot of ways to fix this type of character. Toyotarou just won't go down this path.
I wonder how much Toyotaro knows about Dragon Ball Online. He should give the red-eyed form to Piccolo already. Despite not having implemented the Namekuseijin book in his continuity, he could do it now and use it as a means to introduce said form to the character, hell, it's possible that this form could even work as a god form to the Namekuseijins. There are many ways for Piccolo to be useful (Dimps managed to do that with their version of Universe 6 saga in Xenoverse 2), all that remains is the goodwill of those in charge.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Pertaining character development, I think most of the cast has completed its circle. For example, I liked the direction Tien went. He realizes he can't compete with the Saiyans, but at least he can teach other humans to properly use ki and martial arts. No.17 and Krillin got jobs.

I just don't like what it did to badass female characters. Videl could have become a martial arts teacher in Mr. Satan dojo. No.18 a high class secret agent. Bulma a Iron-Man sort of character. Imagine an army of robots fighting Freeza's men. Something like that.

Gohan and Piccolo completed their character in Cell Arc. Then, Piccolo kinda took an important role in Boo Arc, to raise Majin Boo's nemesis, but it was in vain. Gohan regressed to the point he let arrogance cloud his judgement again. Super makes he regresses even more, then Jiren Arc makes he regain his devolopment, just to get to the point where he was at Cell Arc after defeating Cell.

But despite personatily issues, I think Goku and Vegeta still haven't completed their development, they have yet to reach a level in which they won't depend on the help of the gods. After this point, they could become teachers and compete against each other without something at stake.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:03 pm

The problem with modern DB and revivals in general, is that they're trying to continue a story that already reached its natural conclusion. By the end of the Buu arc, everyone had completed their character arcs, so there wasn't much to work with, much less continue the story indefinitely. I think BOG did a good job at pushing Goku and Vegeta (and the lore) forward, but apart from that, things have been kind of frozen in time.
experted_luke wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 pm Who do you believe has taken a toll for the worse in Dragon Ball, as far as development?

Who's taken a good toll as far as development?

Who is a character you'd like to see do more and develop more as a character?
Goku's family is just a parody of itself, and not a good one.
Vegeta has regressed to somewhere between his Cell and Buu arc self.
Piccolo's just a baby sitter.
Future Trunks is a Gary Stu now.
Freeza's become a Saturday morning cartoon villain.
Buu has been reduced to an overused gag.

Surprisingly, the humans (Roshi, Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha) have managed to more or less remain unharmed. Android 17 made a surprise comeback during the TOP.

Like I said above, I feel that each character reached their natural conclusion by the Buu arc, with Goku and Vegeta getting a bit more in BOG.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:27 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:03 pm The problem with modern DB and revivals in general, is that they're trying to continue a story that already reached its natural conclusion. By the end of the Buu arc, everyone had completed their character arcs, so there wasn't much to work with, much less continue the story indefinitely. I think BOG did a good job at pushing Goku and Vegeta (and the lore) forward, but apart from that, things have been kind of frozen in time.
experted_luke wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 pm Who do you believe has taken a toll for the worse in Dragon Ball, as far as development?

Who's taken a good toll as far as development?

Who is a character you'd like to see do more and develop more as a character?
Goku's family is just a parody of itself, and not a good one.
Vegeta has regressed to somewhere between his Cell and Buu arc self.
Piccolo's just a baby sitter.
Future Trunks is a Gary Stu now.
Freeza's become a Saturday morning cartoon villain.
Buu has been reduced to an overused gag.

Surprisingly, the humans (Roshi, Krillin, Tien, and Yamcha) have managed to more or less remain unharmed. Android 17 made a surprise comeback during the TOP.

Like I said above, I feel that each character reached their natural conclusion by the Buu arc, with Goku and Vegeta getting a bit more in BOG.
The Humans have also been harmed.

Krillin repeating (poorly) the same development he got back in Early DB for the ToP arc.

Yamcha becoming a full blown meme.

The blatant disrespect of Tien (Prague of Gripes made a whole video about this).

Roshi becoming a Gary Stu (if he was still skilled and powerful this whole time then why did he sit out for all of Z?)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:51 am

Sadala Elite wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:27 amThe Humans have also been harmed.
I know, and you make good points, which is why I said more or less and not completely. I just don't think it's as bad as what's been done to Goku for example.