Opinion - Ultra Instinct Sign

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

experted_luke

Opinion - Ultra Instinct Sign

Post by experted_luke » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:27 am

After reading the latest chapter, what is your opinion on Ultra Instinct Sign, not on its power, but its interpretation? I personally think that the way Goku uses it is odd and that it throws away the whole "calm" maneuver. Though it is an incomplete transformation, I believe that if you're still a stage away from fully mastering Ultra Instinct, you should still be calm in the stages before it.
Take a look at this:
See how Goku shouts to transform into Ultra Instinct Sign? A yell isn't really associated with being calm at all, is it? It's like he's transforming into a Super Saiyan. What are your thoughts on this? Any other thoughts and/or comments on Ultra Instinct? Anything to look forward to regarding it? How would you change how the technique is used?

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Opinion - Ultra Instinct Sign

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:07 am

I'm not a fan of it becoming just another transformation, I'm also not a fan of its calm and collected behavior seemingly being left behind. What I really liked about it during the anime's TOP is how silent Goku was, you could tell that whoever he was fighting was finished. This is the second time modern DB has introduced a unique form (the first being SsjG), only to take away everything that made it unique in favor of it being just another Ssj form.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:22 am

It would probably be my second favorite transformation (especially if it had come after Super Saiyan 2 and no other forms existed). It is simple, the way the hair stands and with that silver eyes looks kinda imposing and, more importantly, it's not a cheap and ugly recolor. Just as simple and majestic as Super Saiyan 2 is.

But since we live in a timeline where Saiyans has a lot of transformations, Ultra Instinct -Sign- becomes just one amongst many. And for what Matches Malone said above, it's just another form for me to ignore.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:42 am

I think people are looking into that panel just a wee bit too much.

I don't like the drawing because it doesn't look calm, but that doesn't actually mean it's not calm anymore. The intent wasn't to show you Goku throwing away its tranquility, it was to show you that he's now operating at full power - as Goku and Moro make absolutely clear in the panels directly following it.

I just think it was awkwardly conveyed, as the "hah!" moment was likely the only way Toyotaro figured to communicate that he's not holding back anymore on a visual level. I'm pretty sure the next chapter isn't gonna have him going full 130 on us.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:01 pm

The Undying wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:42 am I think people are looking into that panel just a wee bit too much.

I don't like it because it doesn't look calm, but that doesn't actually mean it's not calm anymore. The intent wasn't to show you Goku throwing away its tranquility, it was to show you that he's now operating at full power - as Goku and Moro make absolutely clear in the panels directly following it.

I just think it was awkwardly conveyed, as the "hah!" was likely the only way Toyotaro figured to communicate that he's not holding back anymore on a visual level.

We cannot expect UI Goku to have no facial expressionduring battles all the time.
It's entertainment. And they still want to keep some showlevel. And a completely neutral face does not provide that.
What happened at the end of this manga chapter was however kinda dual and debatable (i was not a fan of it, i gave ma a SSJ-feeling, but it's forgivable). I could understand the panel was to emphasize the effort he was making.
MUI Goku powering up like the Incredible Hulk to defeat Jiren at the end of TOP anime however was frankly over the top in that regard as it was exactly the opposite of the forms meaning what happened there.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:03 pm

I simply wasn't expecting it to be just another transformation.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:20 pm

It's just a kiai, people. Martial artists uses kiais all the time. It doesn't mean that Goku is angry or anything. You can literally shout without feeling any emotions. Does it look weird? Yeah, it does, but it doesn't prove anything.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:18 pm

Before the "transformation" Goku closed his eyes, so I think the whole "calm" thing is still there.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:34 pm

That’s because it’s INCOMPLETE guys. It’s literally in its name. Ofcourse there’s a chance it’s going to job, since it isn’t the “MAXIMUM” potential of its state. It’s far from perfect. What did people expect? That an “in-complete”, “imperfect” version of a state was going to be left untouched and flawless??? Did people really expect that? Please say no.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:43 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:07 am I'm not a fan of it becoming just another transformation, I'm also not a fan of its calm and collected behavior seemingly being left behind. What I really liked about it during the anime's TOP is how silent Goku was, you could tell that whoever he was fighting was finished. This is the second time modern DB has introduced a unique form (the first being SsjG), only to take away everything that made it unique in favor of it being just another Ssj form.
Why I am hoping that whatever the new animated material is next doesn't do anything with UI since that would actually effect the greater franchise. Currently SSGSS is still the main mascot form for modern DB, while I am no longer so keen on that form from a personal standpoint, I do hope it stays like that for the foreseeable future.

Making UI even "Omen" into a switchable form is dumb and stupid and I don't want it.

Toei saved us with SSG Vegeta and actually made the form work on Vegeta so if they do use any version if UI but don't make it an actual form I wouldn't be too mad about that, aslong as it doesn't happen repeatedly of course.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:43 pm Toei saved us with SSG Vegeta and actually made the form work on Vegeta so if they do use any version if UI but don't make it an actual form I wouldn't be too mad about that, aslong as it doesn't happen repeatedly of course.
When it comes to sign, I wouldn't mind a middle ground where Goku can use it at will, but not all the time. So him using it against Moro will prevent him from using it in the next arc for example.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:54 pm

Why are people complaining about UI screaming NOW?

He's been doing it since the first episode of the anime was revealed the form, and even more in the completed form.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:17 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:54 pm Why are people complaining about UI screaming NOW?

He's been doing it since the first episode of the anime was revealed the form, and even more in the completed form.
My guess it's because he screamed during the fighting, but not during the transformation itself, and also because in the manga it's all about being calm, and an angry shout is far from that.