When should the rematch Goku vs Beerus take place?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

When should the rematch Goku vs Beerus take place?

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:26 pm

Beerus does not care for Goku, Vegeta or anyone inside U7.
But: at a certain point in time he should fight again or at least train again to defend himself.
We have no exact indication about exactly how strong Beerus is, but if he has not mastered UI, he should at least get concerned if Goku has.

If Goku masters UI at the ending of this arc or during the next, it would make sense for the writers not to wait too long anymore for the second fight between Goku and Beerus to take place, which is somehow foreshadowed, and just let it happen.

Goku always wants to train and become stronger, becoming stronger than Beerus shouldn't remain the benchmark untill eternity. And it will always remain possible to write new villains as a next challenge, Beerus is not strictly needed for that.

If the story wants to continue and move on, why can Beerus never be utilized in a fight, even not when he is just fighting for selfish reasons? Some seem to think Beerus is still way above everybody else, and it has to be reserved for a big endfight between Beerus and Goku. In that case, when should that fight happen? After when he has achieved MUI? Or later on, when Goku has become as strong as Whis?

If the fight with Goku does not happen, where exactly are we waiting for not letting him involved in any way, even not when he is effectively threatened? Isn't the character being under-utlized for no reason in that case?
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: When should the rematch Goku vs Beerus take place?

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:54 pm

I think this may end up becoming like Goku's teased rematch with Piccolo, where it was just dropped as time went on. Like that potential rematch, I just don't see where a Goku vs Beerus round 2 can happen without feeling out of place. Maybe it can happen as a side thing like Vegeta's fight with him in the manga's TOP arc, but I don't think we'll get some grand arc focused on it.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:54 pm I think this may end up becoming like Goku's teased rematch with Piccolo, where it was just dropped as time went on. Like that potential rematch, I just don't see where a Goku vs Beerus round 2 can happen without feeling out of place. Maybe it can happen as a side thing like Vegeta's fight with him in the manga's TOP arc, but I don't think we'll get some grand arc focused on it.

Maybe the better question would be: 'IF it happens, what would be the best timing ...'

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:51 pm

There really isn't any point. Goku has surpassed Beerus with his Mastered Autonomous Ultra Instinct. Goku can always fuse with Vegeta too.

I think it's time they move the story forward and focus less on Beerus, Goku, and Vegeta and more on the next generation. They've done nothing with Uub, Pan, Trunks, Goten, or the world building in Dragon Ball Online that leaves room for entirely new characters.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:43 pm

Toriyama seems adamant about holding fast to the current generation. I mean he effectively pulled the rug out from under the next generation's feet back in the Buu arc. If anyone was going to be explored as a prospective successor then it should be Gohan with the kids and Uub as part of the broader fighting collective. Sadly, as it stands, Beerus and others of the celestial echelon hardly seem interested in anyone outside of Goku and Vegeta to a lesser extent.

I'm going to assume that Goku will have already surpassed Beerus when he fully harnesses Ultra Instinct. If there was to be a battle afterwards then it would have to be under the pretext of Goku limiting himself for the sake of the competition. I doubt a lot of fans would appreciate the handicap device there. Although as an alternative, maybe Toriyama could develop Beerus by having him train in the interest of preserving his position as the strongest being, discounting Whis, in his universe. You could justify an earnest competitive match then. Goku and Vegeta shouldn't be the only ones committing to their training in the first place.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:40 pm

It should happen the following arc, now that Goku has fully mastered Omen unless they want to hold the duel once Goku fully masters UI and then have Beerus too mastering the technique.

This rematch should definitely happen though, as it has been brought up a few times and Goku also never beat Beerus unlike his other rivals.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:02 pm

This is one of those things the series occasionally hints at, but I have no idea how you'd make an arc out of this without retreading certain themes already explored in Battle of Gods. That's why I think they've been avoiding it, at least until the end.

Maybe it would make sense as an epilogue to Super, but not really as a full-fledged story.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Something tells me it's gonna be like the anime's ending with Vegeta and Goku going against each other in their blue forms, or their descendents from GT fighting and concluding it off-screen, something Toyo enjoys doing. Perhaps with an unknown winner, with both of them panting, injured and satisfied like Gohan vs Kefla, leaving it to us to say who won.
I just don't think we'll get to see Goku standing over a defeated Beerus, like in the anime vs Jiren, or the other way around. I find it hard to believe we are going to have them fighting it out like vs Zamasu, Jiren or Moro, although with the hype this rematch has, it should be.

As of when, it should be as soon as possible, if after this arc Goku still isn't ready then Beerus would've been retconned beyond what could be considered ok.
After 3 enemies that were on Beerus' level or beyond, still focusing on him seems forced. I mean, 2 of those 3 are still alive and most likely stronger than before. I might be more interested in seeing a rematch vs post-zenkai Broly or trained-Jiren, really. Unless Beerus gets out of his confort zone and trains.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:35 pm

The Undying wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:02 pm This is one of those things the series occasionally hints at, but I have no idea how you'd make an arc out of this without retreading certain themes already explored in Battle of Gods. That's why I think they've been avoiding it, at least until the end.

Maybe it would make sense as an epilogue to Super, but not really as a full-fledged story.
I also think it’s difficult to write an arc about it (and I hope they won’t make an entire movie over the rematch) but they surely can come up with new themes for it.

I personally believe the best way for this rematch to happen would be to create a conflict between Gods and mortals so that Goku and Beerus can go at it full power. But then I would want Beerus to side with Goku if such a conflict ever happened, unless it’s just confined to U7.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:57 pm

emperior wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:35 pm
The Undying wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:02 pm
I also think it’s difficult to write an arc about it (and I hope they won’t make an entire movie over the rematch) but they surely can come up with new themes for it.

They could for instance give us a prolonged James Bond-like-intro for a DBS-movie and show us the fight in there. Or: as an ending after the ending, some sort of epilogue.
Otherwise two chapters in the manga, would do just fine.
A short intro, Whis takes them to some isolated place, and then immediately the fight.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:56 pm

Soon I hope.

With Jiren being declared stronger than a God of Destruction and Toppo being Belmod's replacement and both Goku and Vegeta being above him by the end of the ToP, Beerus is losing his narrative purpose of power measuring stick.

Jiren, as bland as his is, by all rights should be the new target for Goku and Vegeta to overcome, to get to the point where they both individually surpass him.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:45 pm

I don’t think they will necessarily have a rematch, but it has been foreshadowed that both Goku and Vegeta will become formidable opponents for Beerus. By the end of this arc, I guess it would be okay to assume they will be.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:26 am

I think its possible that Beerus might have a power up, one reserved only for emergencies such as direct threats to U7, that he would never use against Goku & Vegeta unless they intentionally challenged his role as Hakaishin. It might be why he still acts nonchalant about Goku & Vegeta's progress even though he more or less acknowledged that Goku surpassed him with MUI.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:06 am

Probably once Toriyama feels like ending the 'Super' era. I don't know when that will be, if ever. Of course, the fight would need stakes. It can't just be a "call up Beers and ask to fight" scenario. Perhaps Beers has his hands tied by something he can only resolve by destroying the Earth?

As it is now I doubt Gokuu can make Beers bleed, he seems totally unimpressed or threatened last we saw him.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:48 am

Beerus has already been Roshi'd so there's no need for a rematch.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:52 am

After one thousand more episodes. Let's try to beat the record set by Satoshi not winning a Regional Pokemon League!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:06 pm

Any time now, honestly. Now that Goku has learned to use Omen at will, he's more or less on Beerus' level already. As in, he can actually push Beerus to finally be serious in order to win. And not just one-shot him like he did to Vegeta, but actually having to fight Goku seriously in order to not lose. (manga only)

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:07 am

At the end of the last arc before the time-skip to EoZ. Have Goku UI beat non-ui Beerus by little, and imply that Beers will train, and surpass him when he masters UI.
As for their OPness, the best I can think off right now to take them out of the equation is to build the story to make Goku and Vegeta GoDs of a new pair of universes, so they can't get involved in U7. They could just have to check their universes, attend reunions and destroy something from time to time (maybe dangerous objects and bad guys) they would still spend most of their time in U7 (and the other world when everyone dies). There is Merus for Gokū, but we would need other angel for Vejita's universe

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:22 am

Mastered Ultra Instinct isn't enough for Goku to be a threat to Beerus. As we saw in his fight against Jiren, MUI isn't impervious to attacks, and Beerus only needs to get one hit in to take down Goku if he's serious about it. Goku would only be a threat to Beerus if he could use God of Destruction Mode and MUI at the same time, but I don't think that will ever happen.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:34 pm

If it happens at all, I suppose the end of the modern series would make the most sense. It's what kicked off Dragon Ball Super, after all. That said, if Goku and Beerus do get a rematch, I hope Goku loses. I think that would be a more poignant ending, especially if Goku uses that loss as greater motivation to get stronger– which he realistically would.