Should Dragon Ball Super reboot GT story lines?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Should Dragon Ball Super reboot GT story lines?

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:37 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:49 pm I think it would be interesting to see. After Super Broly I trust the current writing staff to take old concepts and characters and vastly improve on them. I wouldn't say that Zamasu makes a reworked Baby redundant. The former was a rogue Kai and a hypocrite, but the latter's connection to the Saiyans can work as a compelling story on its own. Super 17 I agree doesn't need to be rebooted. The villains returning from hell could work if they are treated like a legitimate threat. The shadow Dragons with the right direction and quality control could be fantastic albeit with rewriting where possible.
the connection with the saiyans are with people who have already died ... unless that is done in sadala U6

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:15 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:37 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:49 pm I think it would be interesting to see. After Super Broly I trust the current writing staff to take old concepts and characters and vastly improve on them. I wouldn't say that Zamasu makes a reworked Baby redundant. The former was a rogue Kai and a hypocrite, but the latter's connection to the Saiyans can work as a compelling story on its own. Super 17 I agree doesn't need to be rebooted. The villains returning from hell could work if they are treated like a legitimate threat. The shadow Dragons with the right direction and quality control could be fantastic albeit with rewriting where possible.
the connection with the saiyans are with people who have already died ... unless that is done in sadala U6
That is not necessarily a bad thing. Heroes being held accountable for the faults of their family or lineage is a great foundation for conflict in a story. In Claudia Gray's Star Wars novel Bloodline Leia's political career is jeopardized when it gets out that she is Darth Vader's daughter. Goku and Vegeta having to find a way to atone for what their race did to the Tuffles and their homeworld could be a far better story than them (or only Goku) just having to kill another villain yet again.

Sadala could work if there was an arc before Baby to tie it back into. Vegeta could rigorously train Cabba, Cabba could become proud of his achievements and by the end of the Baby arc return the favour by being a key player in a ceasefire ending the war between the surviving Tuffles and Saiyans.

Granted we could have new villains entirely, and that would be great too, but I don't think a lot of fans have a problem with rebooting characters if it's done well. I'd say Super Broly exemplifies the exact opposite.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:47 pm

Having the final villains be the overuse of the Dragon Balls is such a perfect idea it needs to be done justice.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 01, 2020 1:50 am

Peach wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:00 pm There's so many interesting designs, characters, and ideas. Pan, machine mutants, Baby, super saiyan 4, golden Oozaru, Super 17, hell on earth, and the shadow dragons.

Don't these ideas have a lot of potential? It would almost be a shame if Toriyama never had a hand in a reboot or reimagining.
No! I want new content!

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Mon May 04, 2020 4:07 am

Baby and the Shadow Dragons are the only 2 GT plotlines that could work in Super.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 06, 2020 11:12 am

While I think the Evil Dragons was a big swing-and-a-miss that could have been a great arc if retooled, I'd rather Super come up with it's own stories. It's already relying too much on nostalgia as it it. It needs to create more of an identity for itself.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 pm

I'd much rather have brand new storylines. As far as I'm concerned, recycling GT stories would be just like borrowing stories from the various AFs or from other fan works; generally speaking not a good idea. I'm open for borrowing concepts from those stories and rework them in order to create something original, though. It's okay if the more observant readers/viewers are able to see a few parallels, but it must for the most part feel fresh.
Sadala Elite wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:07 am Baby and the Shadow Dragons are the only 2 GT plotlines that could work in Super.
Well, those two already cover the majority of what GT did, don't they? ...Or, well, kind of, it depends on when the Dragon Ball hunting story ends and the Baby arc begins.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:59 pm

Trouser wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:21 pm Super should be rebooted.
I seconded this

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sun May 10, 2020 10:38 am

No. The storylines weren't great to begin with.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon May 11, 2020 2:34 am

I kind of would like to see something done with the Shadow Dragons, or at least the One Star Dragon, but I doubt it will happen. The reason they brought Broly into the story and made him canon is because he is so popular among fans, but GT is the least popular part of Dragon Ball and was the downfall of the franchise.