Jiren an antagonist of the 80s

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Jiren an antagonist of the 80s

Post by Tai Lung » Sat May 02, 2020 8:47 pm

Well a topic to analyze the character of jiren and perhaps to understand why it has been so controversial .. Jiren has been criticized for quite some time but I feel that he fulfilled his role as an invincible antagonist, the unattainable mountain etc.
in fact Jiren has a lot of similarity with Ivan drago classic antagonist of the movie Rocky IV
both was trained to be "invincible"
both are muscular and taciturn
ivan drago represented his entire country and jiren to his entire universe.
ivan drago in a moment of the final fight he says that if he manages to win the fight against rocky he will win for himself and not for others.
the fight against apollo is basically to show its power and strength I do not see it as different as he humiliates to vegeta or hit
they were both abandoned at one point in their lives

Despite all this, the character of Ivan Drago was very loved at his time he came out and currently also despite having a role similar to that of Jiren.and many of his virtues when looking impressive were correct
It may seem old, but it is not a bad concept and it did its work.

'm not sure ... what do you think? Maybe they expected something else maybe a villain or think it is an old concept :think:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Jiren an antagonist of the 80s

Post by Kataphrut » Sat May 02, 2020 10:18 pm

His first big moment was blowing up an opponent and turning away from the explosion. He couldn't be more 80s unless he put on a pair of shades after.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 pm

I suppose Jiren could have been appropriate for the 80s era if he'd debuted then.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat May 09, 2020 9:29 pm

I dunno, I always saw him as kind of a parody of one of the core ideas of the franchise as of late, that being that one's power level is the only metric by which they have value as a fighter and character.

Jiren takes this to the extreme, being solely defined by his ludicrously immense power level and obsession with proving himself as the strongest. He's completely broken and can't even begin to properly express his emotions or show attachment to anyone.

He shows how being obsessed with power levels doesn't do one any good, as you're left a shallow and hollow person who misses out on the joys of self-improvement and forming bonds with others.

To me, he's a critique of the tendency for the franchise's own narrative and the fans to overemphasize this aspect of the series and its importance.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun May 10, 2020 3:50 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:29 pm I dunno, I always saw him as kind of a parody of one of the core ideas of the franchise as of late, that being that one's power level is the only metric by which they have value as a fighter and character.

Jiren takes this to the extreme, being solely defined by his ludicrously immense power level and obsession with proving himself as the strongest. He's completely broken and can't even begin to properly express his emotions or show attachment to anyone.

He shows how being obsessed with power levels doesn't do one any good, as you're left a shallow and hollow person who misses out on the joys of self-improvement and forming bonds with others.

To me, he's a critique of the tendency for the franchise's own narrative and the fans to overemphasize this aspect of the series and its importance.
I think that's giving the writers too much credit, unfortunately.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:56 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:50 pm
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:29 pm I dunno, I always saw him as kind of a parody of one of the core ideas of the franchise as of late, that being that one's power level is the only metric by which they have value as a fighter and character.

I think that's giving the writers too much credit, unfortunately.
Honestly, considering how the writers even directly referenced the whole "screaming makes you stronger" thing as a joke with Hit, and speaking as a writer myself, I do think they probably had something like this in mind. It really all comes down to execution, and the only way to properly execute the Dragon Ball Super anime is by lethal injection.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.