Yurin's concept could a role on DB OG?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Yurin's concept could a role on DB OG?

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:17 pm

if you think about it Yurin's concept, a martial artist that deals in witchcraft It is quite like to what DB OG was at that time, perhaps it could have had a participation as a sister of Tien Shinhan or only a disciple of the School Crane school and other opponent to goku, yamcha and krillin.

What do you think? :think:

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Yurin's concept could a role on DB OG?

Post by Mad Swami » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:48 pm

I mean yeah it definitely was an attempt to harken back to the old concepts I thought that too. However, I feel she was more an idea to accomplish that more than an actual character. She is mainly conceived to create a fight. It would have been nice to see her be more of an interesting threat. It could have been cool to see her corrupt Goku and have Roshi and Tien through brain and their impressive might beat him. Goku would be in base of course. Instead, all she does is corrupt Roshi and then lose. Could have been cool to see more from her.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:00 pm

Yurin definitely feels like a callback to the stories of the training mini-arcs from the 1986 series. I'd definitely love more stories like it, especially if it mixed in the sort of Eastern Asia and martial arts elements again. I definitely wish Yurin's episodes had had better directing and animation in her episodes.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:09 pm

Not gonna lie, I completely forgot this character was a thing.

Yeah, she does feel like some long lost OG DB character who Toriyama rediscovered in old doodles and decided to hand to Toei without any direction of what to do with her, so they put her in some filler. A good bit of wasted potential there, but eh. She's just a one-note filler character, so what can you do?
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:16 pm

It doesn't really help that Tenshinhan kind of feels adrift during that part of the arc, too. What's his big storyline and development, again?
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 am

I still can't believe they gave her a name like that. What the heck was the person who came up with this thinking? What's next, a character named "Fices"?

But yeah she did have some pretty good techniques. Honestly she should have replaced Tien in the ToP. With her witchcraft she could have controlled the enemies and make them jump off the ring or something, and who knows what other abilities she had. When it comes to fighting, yeah she is weaker than Roshi, but her techniques could have been useful in the battlefield.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:57 am

DestructoDisc wrote: ↑Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 am I still can't believe they gave her a name like that. What the heck was the person who came up with this thinking? What's next, a character named "Fices"?

But yeah she did have some pretty good techniques. Honestly she should have replaced Tien in the ToP. With her witchcraft she could have controlled the enemies and make them jump off the ring or something, and who knows what other abilities she had. When it comes to fighting, yeah she is weaker than Roshi, but her techniques could have been useful in the battlefield.
Yurin is a Japanese name.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:18 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:57 am
DestructoDisc wrote: ↑Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 am I still can't believe they gave her a name like that. What the heck was the person who came up with this thinking? What's next, a character named "Fices"?

Yurin is a Japanese name.
My bad, thanks for the correction.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:19 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:57 amYurin is a Japanese name.
Yurin is also named after yurinchi, a Chinese chicken dish.

She was okay I think, she could have done with a bit more development and maybe more time to explore what she could have given to the script:
- a role of magic casting
- a rival/counterpart to Chi-Chi and 18, and most likely Launch
- etc.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.