Does anyone else think Super Saiyan Blue looks tacky?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Does anyone else think Super Saiyan Blue looks tacky?

Post by Peach » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:06 pm

When I look at Super Saiyan 1-3, all three of those forms just look so timeless and badass.

When I look at Super Saiyan Blue? It already looks tacky, outdated, and ridiculous to me. Blue hair is a very strange aesthetic choice. Even Ultra Instinct looks very strange. I can't tell what is happening on screen because there is so much visual noise and after effects covering the character.

In resurrection f, they were trying to push themselves to use their base forms. I wish they had continued to do that..

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Does anyone else think Super Saiyan Blue looks tacky?

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:30 pm

You're talking about the form that was introduced alongside Golden Freeza. It looks pretty reserved by comparison.

I like the look of Blue. It gets a lot of stick for being the form that cemented the new Super Saiyan forms as recolours, but the Blue at least looks distinct, and usually contrasts well with the backgrounds. Even if it is just going with the very monkey-brain blue and orange contrast that Hollywood films get so much slack for.

Unless we're talking about Blue Evolved, which is hot garbage.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:30 am

I remember way back when after BOG was released, fans had theorized that Vegeta undergoing the SSJG ritual would result in his eyes, hair, and aura turning blue instead of red like with Goku to show that SSJG's color varied among individual Saiyans. It was actually pretty awesome at the time and let Vegeta potentially stand out in a way that the typical SSJ forms didn't allow. And then ROF came along and nixxed the unique aspect of a Blue Vegeta by also including a Blue Goku as well as reverting back to the basic design of SSJ that SSJG attempted to step away from.
While I don't think it necessarily looks tacky, I do think that SSJB quickly lost originality and is a so-so design at it's core. It definitely could have been better IMO.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:51 pm

Your not saying something new here

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:52 pm

Although I wasn't a fan of the idea of another recolor, I think it looked fine with Goku and Vegeta's new outfits, but now there's just too much Blue with their old ones, Vegeta's evolution form even more so.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:58 pm

I just think it wasn't needed. I was hoping the whole point of Super V1 would be to master the SSG form. I personally think they should have saved other forms for the second portion.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:17 pm

Blue is just... ugly.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:00 am

theherodjl wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:30 am I remember way back when after BOG was released, fans had theorized that Vegeta undergoing the SSJG ritual would result in his eyes, hair, and aura turning blue instead of red like with Goku to show that SSJG's color varied among individual Saiyans. It was actually pretty awesome at the time and let Vegeta potentially stand out in a way that the typical SSJ forms didn't allow. And then ROF came along and nixxed the unique aspect of a Blue Vegeta by also including a Blue Goku as well as reverting back to the basic design of SSJ that SSJG attempted to step away from.
While I don't think it necessarily looks tacky, I do think that SSJB quickly lost originality and is a so-so design at it's core. It definitely could have been better IMO.
This would have been cool. This or Vegeta's hair being the color of his Galic Gun ki and Goku's being blue like his Kamehameha ki. Something to separate them earlier than the ToP. Super Saiyan forms get a little boring when they become homogenized.

I had always thought that the god forms changing the hair color to bright red and blue to be pretty tacky. I think my main problem is how they draw the hair. It looks so plastic and lacks details or motion usually. It looks okay with the aura, but without it it does look tacky. My suggestion years back was to have just the eyes change color and keep the fantastic new auras for the forms while keeping the hair black (maybe adding subtle red or blue streaks/highlights through it). They actually later used that idea which looks absolutely fantastic for Ultra Instinct Omen, which I prefer to the look of Mastered Ultra Instinct, because subtlety is king.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:04 am

I think it looks very modern, even though it is just a recolor.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:06 am

Trouser wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:17 pmBlue is just... ugly.
The issue isn't really the color as much as it's the clothing choices. The colors just don't go together. Imagine how bad the original Ssj would've looked if Goku or Vegeta's outfit was also Yellow. SsjG on the other hand looks great with Vegeta's classic outfit, as the red hair and blue outfit don't cancel each other out.
Psajdak wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:04 amI think it looks very modern, even though it is just a recolor.
A bit more time between it and SsjG would've greatly benefited the form. They should've allowed Goku to use SsjG in RF, while also giving it to Vegeta, then they'd both master it during Champa's tournament, leaving Blue to be introduced during the Zamasu arc.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:12 am

To be fair, most of us were dissapointed with SSG when it was first shown in BoG, so it was good that we didn't have to wait so long for another form.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:00 pm

I'm not sure about tacky but it sure is lazy. I was never a fan of SSJG red and blue but blue was simply created and used for marketing.

So in away it could have been a smart call for Toei.

However as a fan of the franchise and an artist myself....i hate it. Introducing blue with the new costumes made it alittle better and separated yellow from blue/ Z from super. But as soon as they defaulted to the Z Cell arc costumes i started to really hate the look.

Blue evolution is tacky and over done for sure and in my opinion same as ultra instinct.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:10 pm

I wouldn't say tacky. I like Blue now, but my initial problem with the form was a simple "Blue isn't a natural color of hair".

I still think it today (even with lots and lots of characters with blue hair in animes/mangas), but I got used to the transformation. Also, I like the subtle changes in the hair in comparison with the average Super Saiyan.