At first I didn't care, but now I really wish for Toei to animate Moro arc...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

At first I didn't care, but now I really wish for Toei to animate Moro arc...

Post by Psajdak » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:27 am

I'm primarily anime fan, and beside some OG manga chapters, and random Super chapters, I only got into Moro arc because there isn't much of "important" continuation since Super Broly movie.

Moro arc isn't the best shonen arc of all times, but as months pass by, I think it slowly is becoming fun, and interesting at the very least.

While manga may be holy grail for purists, IMO, anime always kind of makes story more lasting, and memorable, not to mention iconic.

If, or when anime continues, I hope it doesn't just jump to the next arc.

Also, I can't help wanting Moro to be voiced by Akio Otsuka.

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: At first I didn't care, but now I really wish for Toei to animate Moro arc...

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:43 am

Psajdak wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:27 amIf, or when anime continues, I hope it doesn't just jump to the next arc.
Of course it will be animated, the idea of it not being so is beyond wishful thinking. Let's put it this way, There's a higher chance of Yamcha defeating Beerus than this not being animated. If they went out of their way to reanimate 2 movies that were already animated, there's no way they'll skip this. Not only will it get animated, it will get extended beyond what's in the manga.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: At first I didn't care, but now I really wish for Toei to animate Moro arc...

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:52 pm

There's no way they are skipping it. Moro is one of the main villains in Super, they can't skip it. It's a pretty major arc.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:02 pm

It's a good arc and judging by the pacing so far, it could easily have 15+ episodes. There's no reason to skip it, if the anime ever comes back. The story is already laid down for them.

I usually choose anime over manga too. Animation, voice acting and music makes all the difference to me.

Talking about Moro, I think Toei could improve him by giving him some flashy moveset. Unlike Totoyaro, they're good on that. For a magic user, there's nothing he did so far that stood out. Same for Goku Black, Merged zamasu and any ToP fighter in the manga.

I'm impressed by how much I love Vegeta's new technique considering Toyotaro's track record in coming up with cool stuff.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Ideally they'd cover 60-75 pages per episode, if not just rewriting the story a bit to work in two full chapters per episode. The story could definitely use a few re-writes the properly pace it out, not to mention they could produce better action and flow if they didn't worry about Toyo-tarou's comic so much.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

FiReFTW

Post by FiReFTW » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:02 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:02 pm It's a good arc and judging by the pacing so far, it could easily have 15+ episodes. There's no reason to skip it, if the anime ever comes back. The story is already laid down for them.

I usually choose anime over manga too. Animation, voice acting and music makes all the difference to me.

Talking about Moro, I think Toei could improve him by giving him some flashy moveset. Unlike Totoyaro, they're good on that. For a magic user, there's nothing he did so far that stood out. Same for Goku Black, Merged zamasu and any ToP fighter in the manga.

I'm impressed by how much I love Vegeta's new technique considering Toyotaro's track record in coming up with cool stuff.
In the other thread ppl claim its probably 40-50 episodes worth, now you say its 15 lol, huge difference.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:52 am

FiReFTW wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:02 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:02 pm It's a good arc and judging by the pacing so far, it could easily have 15+ episodes. There's no reason to skip it, if the anime ever comes back. The story is already laid down for them.

In the other thread ppl claim its probably 40-50 episodes worth, now you say its 15 lol, huge difference.
No way this is 15 episodes. Toei will for sure milk this. I wouldn't mind as long all the participating fighters are expanded upon, like they did with the Earthlings leading up to Nappa and Vegeta's invasion. There's a lot to expand upon compared to previous arcs and a lot of time passes between the start of the arc and this final fight, if it is the final fight of the arc. Imagine this arc being shorter than BOG. Makes no sense. Also, the fights went by pretty fast in the manga. I wouldn't mind those being expanded upon just a little bit.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:27 pm

I honestly hope not ... it's time for anime and manga to separate making their own stories

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:43 am

Depends how this arc ends. If it connects with the end of Z (and Goku gets his full UI), I'd be happier if it was squeezed into a movie, cutting down unnecessary stuff, then ending the series completely.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:33 pm

I hope they stick to the formula of having two versions of the same outline. The manga has been disappointing me almost constantly, and while Moro was full of possibility and I actually enjoyed the slow chapters at the beginning, after Namek the quality has gone down constantly: Moro became a generic brawler who never uses magic besides absorption (even if the manga keeps saying he does), Vegeta is repeating his character arcs again, and the rest are basically just there to have someone narrate the fighting.

God
Banned

Post by God » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:41 am

Be careful what you wish for. The minute the Toei adapts the Moro Arc that denounces the DBS anime's canonicity, since it's Toyotaro's story sprinkled in with Toriyama's general concepts, ideas, and approval. To most this shouldn't matter at all, but to those who still believe the anime that concluded on March 2018 is canon will be devastated.

FiReFTW

Post by FiReFTW » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 am

EGonzo wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:33 pm I hope they stick to the formula of having two versions of the same outline. The manga has been disappointing me almost constantly, and while Moro was full of possibility and I actually enjoyed the slow chapters at the beginning, after Namek the quality has gone down constantly: Moro became a generic brawler who never uses magic besides absorption (even if the manga keeps saying he does), Vegeta is repeating his character arcs again, and the rest are basically just there to have someone narrate the fighting.
Like they did with SSJBlue Kaioken in super?

Manga was way better in super than the anime to be honest..

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:20 am

If it was gonna be animated it would have been now, I have said for the billionth time there is no rush for new animated material and the anime is considered the main product they are not gonna allow the manga to sit there with an entire arc done and then adapt it. They didn't even want Toyo to touch Broly for kami's sake and you really think they are gonna allow him to do an entire arc if it was intended to be animated? Lmao.

People need to get this expectation it is gonna be adapted out their head otherwise it is gonna be like 2019 all over again when people convinced themselves DBS was gonna air in July then start complaining when it didn't happen. I been saying from the start that DBS doesn't need to come back and we're here halfway through 2020 with no sign of it and I am confident about this.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:53 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:20 amThey didn't even want Toyo to touch Broly for kami's sake.

you really think they are gonna allow him to do an entire arc if it was intended to be animated? Lmao.
Where on earth did you get this from ? The reason he skipped Broly was probably the same reason he skipped RF, it was just released and everyone saw it.

As if Toei are in charge of what gets made in the manga, or if it's up to them to decide what they animate or don't animate. There are other parties that are involved in such decisions, such as the right holders and even Toriyama. Do you really think Toriyama is going to be OK with an arc he and his potential successor worked on not getting animated ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like this "Moro won't get animated" idea of yours has more to do with you not liking it, rather than it being based on some kind of fact. Whether you or anyone else likes it or not, Moro will be the first (or second depending on if Broly gets an arc) thing Super animates when (if) it returns. Toyotaro went as far as to say back in 2018 that not only will manga be ahead of the anime (meaning they'll be using the same material), but he'll be working closely with them in the future.

God
Banned

Post by God » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:54 am

FiReFTW wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 am Manga was way better in super than the anime to be honest..
This man's speaking the truth.

In terms of fight choreography, story, dialogue, art, ideas, consistency, characterization of the characters, pacing, closest to Toriyama's vision, and overall which is better as a successor to Dragon Ball, the manga wins.

In terms of animation (lol), music, and voice acting (only the Japanese sub), the anime wins; mostly because these are things that are physically impossible for the manga to have. I guess "pretty colors" could also go here, but with the manga releasing in full-color I doubt the anime will have that over the black and white manga anymore.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:55 am

They will obviously bring back Super, why is this even a question. It made them so much money and was pretty much the most popular shonen at the time. If I am not mistaken, Toei even said they will bring it back, but want to take their time to avoid some of the issues that affected Super 1.0.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:20 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:55 amIf I am not mistaken, Toei even said they will bring it back, but want to take their time to avoid some of the issues that affected Super 1.0.
They did, but that was before this Covid mess. I still think it's safe to say it'll be back, but probably not as soon as we or even Toei would like due to how unstable things are right now.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:00 pm

FiReFTW wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 am
EGonzo wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:33 pm I hope they stick to the formula of having two versions of the same outline. The manga has been disappointing me almost constantly, and while Moro was full of possibility and I actually enjoyed the slow chapters at the beginning, after Namek the quality has gone down constantly: Moro became a generic brawler who never uses magic besides absorption (even if the manga keeps saying he does), Vegeta is repeating his character arcs again, and the rest are basically just there to have someone narrate the fighting.
Like they did with SSJBlue Kaioken in super?

Manga was way better in super than the anime to be honest..
I don't know what you mean about Blue Kaioken, sorry.

To me, the manga always makes choice for the worse. Before I start I'll say it's not all bad, I really like the Battle of Gods (short as it was) and U6 arcs a lot, better than the anime; even making Hit barely as strong as God didn't detract from it.

But starting with Black it went downhill. Sidelining Trunks in his own arc was a really bad idea, as was making Black a generic bully character, and a weakling who nearly died on his first real battle and loses his cool for every little thing. Then making Fused Zamasu also barely as strong as Blue, and getting destroyed by Vegito in his base form, and humiliated when goes Blue.

TOP was mostly all right, but having Toppo be a complete nobody, Vegeta go back on his mindset again (from "i'll swallow my pride and get a teacher" to "I never needed a teacher"), then having most of the tension not being there. But the biggest issue was making Ultra Instinct so forgettable. It just appears out of nowhere, does nothing outstanding or noteworthy, then it's gone.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:36 pm

EGonzo wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:00 pm TOP was mostly all right, but having Toppo be a complete nobody, Vegeta go back on his mindset again (from "i'll swallow my pride and get a teacher" to "I never needed a teacher"), then having most of the tension not being there. But the biggest issue was making Ultra Instinct so forgettable. It just appears out of nowhere, does nothing outstanding or noteworthy, then it's gone.
Toppo wasn't really a complete nobody. He's literally introduced as a man who can defeat Goku after the Future Trunks arc. Vegeta's statement about not needing a teacher is both in relative comparison to Goku, who had many teachers before Whis, and is treated as a joke with a beat showing Whis' unamused face.

Besides that, say what you will, but Ultra Instinct in the fight against Jiren successfully gave the vibe that it's a form that relies more on movement than power, and I preferred that depiction. Though I'll admit his depiction of Omen forgoes that, but that seems to be something of a plot point as well, based on Merus' statements.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:45 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:20 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:55 amIf I am not mistaken, Toei even said they will bring it back, but want to take their time to avoid some of the issues that affected Super 1.0.
They did, but that was before this Covid mess. I still think it's safe to say it'll be back, but probably not as soon as we or even Toei would like due to how unstable things are right now.

When exactly have TOEI ever stated this, officially?
The only thing i remember is they publicly denied this on several occasions when being confronted with the proposal.

They probably wanted to bring the anime back in 2019, there were even different sources indicating this.
But they have changed plans, possibly because Broly became an even bigger success than they expected.
Movies cost less to make than entire anime runs, they can cash in directly from the ticket sales internationally (as opposed to the streaming piratry which often occurs with animes, which are basically lost revenues) and their animators have more hands off for their more Japanese market oriented projects (One Piece, DQ ...).
If movies provide a stable revenue without the investment of an anime being needed, why should they do the investment in the first place?

Yes, we might still hope the anime could return one day. I hope so too, because DB to its core is an anime, not a manga- and movie-only-formula. But there is a substantial difference between hope (it might return) and expectation (it will 100 % certain return). False expectations only lead to further disappointments further down the road.