Possibility of Piccolo becoming relevant again (pfffffttt)...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akyon
Regular

Re: Possibility of Piccolo becoming relevant again (pfffffttt)...

Post by Akyon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:21 pm

If Vegeta split him, Kami and Nail and they all trained together...before re-fusing...would that provide a bigger boost to Piccolo overall?

That's about the only way I see that being useful aside from him fusing with literally every Namekian including U6's TOP duo to obtain enough power to keep up.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:17 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:10 pm I can’t believe what I’m reading. Especially from people who want him to become stronger, asking for him to defuse with his 2 main power sources. Remember how strong he became after fusing with Nail on Namek? And especially remember how strong he became after becoming one again with Kami becoming even stronger than a SSJ and fighting on par with Android 17? It’s incomprehensible what I’m reading here.

If you want him to become stronger so badly, the LAST thing you’d ask for is for him to defuse with these 2 namekians. That should be common sense to anyone.

Nail was an absolute battle namekian, the last of his kind, and extremely rare. While Kami literally was his other half, turning Piccolo into an absolute powerhouse, on par with the androids who trashed legendary super saiyans. If Piccolo loses both of these namekians now, he’d be completely left in the dust, and will immediately lose any relevancy he had.
You're missing the point.

In order to make Piccolo relevant, the writers need to do so in a way that would make sense and build upon the pre-established lore. Having Piccolo train his ass off doesn't make sense, because Vegeta and Goku have been doing that. No one (meaning Piccolo, Gohan, Tien, etc, main Z cast)at this point should be able to rival Goku and Vegeta in battle if they only train "really super duper hard." They'd need to be endowed by the Grandpriest, or something significant. Otherwise, you make all the efforts that Goku and Vegeta have done for literally years mean nothing.

The only way to have Piccolo become relevant currently is the Book of Legends or Zalama. This is of course, my opinion, based on 100% speculation. The reason why I said in my previous post about removing the likes of Nail and Kami is soley based on the fact that Vegeta tells him that he thinks he can in fact defuse Piccolo. That line was most likely said to foreshadow him defusing Moro in the upcoming chapters. My point was that the Book of Legends could have something written in there about becoming a herald of Zalama if and only if, you aren't already inhabited by any other souls other than your own. It gives piccolo a way of becoming strong again, and regaining a few cast members. Piccolo would sacrifice the power from Kami and Nail, to achieve a power that is greater than current Goku and Vegeta.

Or, Piccolo keeps Nail and kami, and still uses the Book of Legends.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:20 pm

Akyon wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:21 pm If Vegeta split him, Kami and Nail and they all trained together...before re-fusing...would that provide a bigger boost to Piccolo overall?

That's about the only way I see that being useful aside from him fusing with literally every Namekian including U6's TOP duo to obtain enough power to keep up.
That's actually kind of a cool concept. But would Kami and Nail want to refuse in a time of peace just so Piccolo could become Godly? I see Nail wanting to train and becoming stronger solo so he could regain the title as Nameks last line of defense.

But your idea is exactly what I'm talking about. It makes sense, and doesn't detract from whats already established.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:47 pm

I get splitting Piccolo and Nail because they are different people, but could Piccolo and Kami be split again by Vegeta? he claimed that he could, but I believe not.
To be fair, they are the same person, the weird thing was for them to be apart. But since they became one again, to think Vegeta can split them also implies he might be able to split non-fused people. It would also imply that Piccolo and Kami never actually became one if they can be separated again by an external force.

Vegeta's statement can be justified by him not really knowing/caring why did Piccolo merged with Kami in the first place, besides needing a power up.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:02 am

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:47 pm I get splitting Piccolo and Nail because they are different people, but could Piccolo and Kami be split again by Vegeta? he claimed that he could, but I believe not.
To be fair, they are the same person, the weird thing was for them to be apart. But since they became one again, to think Vegeta can split them also implies he might be able to split non-fused people. It would also imply that Piccolo and Kami never actually became one if they can be separated again by an external force.

Vegeta's statement can be justified by him not really knowing/caring why did Piccolo merged with Kami in the first place, besides needing a power up.
Its a bit surprising Vegeta even knew about the Nail fusion. Vegeta was preoccupied with fighting Freeza at the time, and its not like they speak at all.

And yeah, perhaps Vegeta didn't know Kami and Piccolo were once one of the same when he said those lines in the recent manga chapter.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:57 am

The power gaps only exist because JUMP wants to push Gokuu and Vegeta. There's no reason Piccolo's arbitrary falling behind can't be swept aside swiftly and without much thought.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:51 am

omaro34 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:02 am
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:47 pm I get splitting Piccolo and Nail because they are different people, but could Piccolo and Kami be split again by Vegeta? he claimed that he could, but I believe not.

Its a bit surprising Vegeta even knew about the Nail fusion. Vegeta was preoccupied with fighting Freeza at the time, and its not like they speak at all.

And yeah, perhaps Vegeta didn't know Kami and Piccolo were once one of the same when he said those lines in the recent manga chapter.
Actually he does. Back in the Cell Saga, when he asks how Piccolo suddenly got so strong and is told that Piccolo and Kami fused he says something along the lines of "Like in ancient times?" So we can assume either Bulma or someone else told him about previous events. And I'm pretty sure he knows about Nail too. Not only was he there when Piccolo fought Freeza, but we can assume these informations are well known among the group.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Michsi wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:51 am

Actually he does. Back in the Cell Saga, when he asks how Piccolo suddenly got so strong and is told that Piccolo and Kami fused he says something along the lines of "Like in ancient times?" So we can assume either Bulma or someone else told him about previous events. And I'm pretty sure he knows about Nail too. Not only was he there when Piccolo fought Freeza, but we can assume these informations are well known among the group.
I'm not so sure about that. I just checked the manga's chapter where he demands to know how Piccolo got so strong and his reaction to the answer is just of disbelief, no comment about ancient times or anything about Kami's background. Sounds more like something that dub everybody always complains about would said.
Which doesn't mean Vegeta wouldn't know about Piccolo's sudden power ups throughout Z, but I'm really doubtful he knows Piccolo and Kami(whom he never met) where the same person initially. In his mind, that Kami guy might've been another powerful namekian living on Earth.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:53 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:57 am The power gaps only exist because JUMP wants to push Gokuu and Vegeta. There's no reason Piccolo's arbitrary falling behind can't be swept aside swiftly and without much thought.
Agreed with this assessment. Toriyama could have easily found ways to allow not just Piccolo but the humans to keep up if the desire had been there -- Kaioken, potential unlocks, fusion, some kind of bodily limit breaking faculty like the 8 Gates from Naruto or the bug from Zetman (hysterical strength; fight or flight bodily response sort of thing), cybernetic enhancements, ect.

Responsibility for this creative monopolisation rests at the feet of the author and those who thought it was a good idea to make combat utilitarianism contingent on your ability to morph hair colours and styles.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:06 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:45 pm

I'm not so sure about that. I just checked the manga's chapter where he demands to know how Piccolo got so strong and his reaction to the answer is just of disbelief, no comment about ancient times or anything about Kami's background. Sounds more like something that dub everybody always complains about would said.
Which doesn't mean Vegeta wouldn't know about Piccolo's sudden power ups throughout Z, but I'm really doubtful he knows Piccolo and Kami(whom he never met) where the same person initially. In his mind, that Kami guy might've been another powerful namekian living on Earth.
I just checked and it's there, BUT I have to mention that my volume is in German therefore from a different publishing house than what is usually is used here, which is VIZ. Is the VIZ translation what you are using. I have VIZ volumes too, just not from this arc.

I don't know how accurate the German translation is, but from what I understood it's pretty faithful, while I've heard that VIZ tended to take a lot of liberties with its translation.

I guess only someone with the original text could shed some light here.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:53 pm

Michsi wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:06 pm

I just checked and it's there, BUT I have to mention that my volume is in German therefore from a different publishing house than what is usually is used here, which is VIZ. Is the VIZ translation what you are using. I have VIZ volumes too, just not from this arc.

I don't know how accurate the German translation is, but from what I understood it's pretty faithful, while I've heard that VIZ tended to take a lot of liberties with its translation.

I'm using a spanish translation, it isn't VIZ. It does screw up some names here and there (calling the saiyans space-warriors) but never to the extent of what VIZ is known for. I never have encountered something that made me question it's accuracy.
I just double-checked the japanese, the english and the latin dub of the anime and they all match the version of the manga I have. He just does a racist rant after he hears about the fusion.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:14 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:53 pm

I'm using a spanish translation, it isn't VIZ. It does screw up some names here and there (calling the saiyans space-warriors) but never to the extent of what VIZ is known for. I never have encountered something that made me question it's accuracy.
I just double-checked the japanese, the english and the latin dub of the anime and they all match the version of the manga I have. He just does a racist rant after he hears about the fusion.

There are three speech bubbles in the panel where he mentions "like in ancient times" and he does say in an other one something like "reunited" which implies he knew they were one being before.
Basically it goes like this 1. Like in ancient times/ before times.
2. they reunited...
3...and just with that??!!

The rant comes right after that.

It's odd thing to add by the translator, but I'm not denying that could've been the case.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:19 pm

Michsi wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:14 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:53 pm

There are three speech bubbles in the panel where he mentions "like in ancient times" and he does say in an other one something like "reunited" which implies he knew they were one being before.
Basically it goes like this 1. Like in ancient times/ before times.
2. they reunited...
3...and just with that??!!

The rant comes right after that.

It's odd thing to add by the translator, but I'm not denying that could've been the case.
From what I've checked (my manga version and three anime dubs), Trunks mentions that Piccolo fused again with Kami but Vegeta just pays attention to the fusion part, like you said: "just with that? but I'm a space racist bla bla"

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:33 pm

I'm really hoping they make a Galactic Patrol Z spin off series, or at least a story arc, where all of the Z fighters join the Galactic Patrol and become relevant again that way.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:50 pm

I always wanted Whis to say to him, "looks like you have a spark of god within you", since Kami was a deity and all. Then he could have trained to make that spark into a fire and boom, God Piccolo