What I like about Ultra Instinct is that it has nothing to do with the SSJ God lineage of transformations

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Re: What I like about Ultra Instinct is that it has nothing to do with the SSJ God lineage of transformations

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:28 am

emperior wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:43 am Thanks for the informative post.
I actually mistakenly wrote retconned while having in mind that Goku never reverted from SSG in Toyotaro’s Battle of Gods brief retelling.
But I definitely forgot about how Goku went from God to 3 while being absorbed by Moro.

So what the manga actually retconned from Toriyama’s movies is that Super Saiyan God and its variants no longer have God Ki, as everyone could sense Blue Goku and Blue Vegeta when they fought Moro. While Ultra Instinct has God Ki and that’s what distinguishes it.
Unless I am once again missing something.
I'm reasonably sure Blue Goku/Vegeta still have god ki and can't be sensed, and any notification of how strong they are or have become from Piccolo/Gohan is ascertained from visual comparisons between how well they fight now and how well they fought beforehand.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: What I like about Ultra Instinct is that it has nothing to do with the SSJ God lineage of transformations

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:50 am

I mean, Yes. It’s really stupid. But that seems to be the implication. That Toyotaro seems to think SSG and SSB Goku and Vegeta do not have God Ki. Even though they should.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:54 am

Dragon Wukong wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:28 am
emperior wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:43 am Thanks for the informative post.
I actually mistakenly wrote retconned while having in mind that Goku never reverted from SSG in Toyotaro’s Battle of Gods brief retelling.
But I definitely forgot about how Goku went from God to 3 while being absorbed by Moro.

So what the manga actually retconned from Toriyama’s movies is that Super Saiyan God and its variants no longer have God Ki, as everyone could sense Blue Goku and Blue Vegeta when they fought Moro. While Ultra Instinct has God Ki and that’s what distinguishes it.
Unless I am once again missing something.
I'm reasonably sure Blue Goku/Vegeta still have god ki and can't be sensed, and any notification of how strong they are or have become from Piccolo/Gohan is ascertained from visual comparisons between how well they fight now and how well they fought beforehand.
You may be right. I forgot that Zamasu got enraged by Goku having the aura of the Gods when watching GodTube and also... it’s called Super Saiyan God, so it must have God Ki.
But maybe Super Saiyan Blue has both God Ki and Human Ki? Cause it definitely seems like it can be sensed in the manga.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:05 am

Blue has PRESSURE, which is what non-god-sensing characters feel

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:59 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:05 am Blue has PRESSURE, which is what non-god-sensing characters feel
Well, it's not really a thing in the manga.
emperior wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:54 am You may be right. I forgot that Zamasu got enraged by Goku having the aura of the Gods when watching GodTube and also... it’s called Super Saiyan God, so it must have God Ki.
But maybe Super Saiyan Blue has both God Ki and Human Ki? Cause it definitely seems like it can be sensed in the manga.
Honestly, besides Gohan and Piccolo commenting on how well Goku/Vegeta are fighting against Saganbo/Moro (which again, seemed to me more like a visual ascertation,) I don't think there's anything else which suggests God or Blue can be sensed by non-deities. Hit couldn't sense Goku's power (when he stopped time and didn't notice Goku's change to blue until he looked at him and noticed the new hair after the fact.) Resurrection F is skipped entirely. Zamasu/Toppo are gods. Jiren only comments on how strong someone is as they're fighting him (which I assume can be ascertained because y'know, they're fighting.) And lastly, everyone else only really comments on how Goku is or isn't doing well against Jiren, which isn't really a "I can sense their power" kinda thing.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:39 pm

I like this form, as it is written, but I really don't like it visually. or at least, I don't like the grey haired variant.
To me, it was more of a state of mind, than tapping into some sort of power well like Super Saiyan... at least from what I get from the anime explanation. So unless it is something like Speedforce in the Flash comic books, I don't see the need for the user to transform so drastically.

And yeah, I am repeating like a broken record, I basically like what you like about this form, that it is not part of the SSJ and theoretically, any character from Dragon Ball can reach it by sheer training and not by being a Saiyan.
Still, my biggest letdown in the series since Resurrection F is surprise reveal of SSJ Blue, instead of staying tgrue to the promo materials before the movie came out, stationg that Goku and Vegeta have no use for SSJ anymore, as they have surpassed it and the poster showing them in base state (as normally, all the movie posters for DBZ since the Cooler Revenge, shows the Super Saiyan or it's higher forms).

I would be happy, if Goku gets to master this form, leaving Super Saiyan obsolete, thus leading to the EoZ and the white sparks when fighting Uub.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88