If the show continues, would it/should it go with the Shintani style?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

If the show continues, would it/should it go with the Shintani style?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 pm

I’ve said before that at this point, if Super, I’d rather they just stick to movies, because anything they put on television would inevitably be a major downgrade from the latest movie, but I recently began to wonder something. If the television show does return, would it play it safe and stick with the Tadayoshi Yamamoto style, or would it go with the Naohiro Shintani style, but on a television budget? I guess that would then beg the question of which option Toei should go with?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: If the show continues, would it/should it go with the Shintani style?

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:31 pm

Will it go with Shintani Naohiro?

I believe so. Unless the poor guy is unable to take the role due to illness or otherwise, Shintani Naohiro is likely to return since he was specifically chosen to get away from Yamamuro Tadayoshi's designs. Shintani's designs for the next series will be better than his designs for the movie by virtue of his the fact that his promotional art has itself shown more confidence. These designs will also make production on a TV series much easier because they rely less on excess--and awkward--shading and line count.

Should it go with Shintani?

Duh. He's leaps and bounds better than Yamamuro Tadayoshi as both a character designer and animator.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:43 pm

If it comes back as a show, they need to make serious adjustments to the art style. It looks so bad.

Model it after Sword Art Online, Hunter x Hunter, and the Promise Neverland.

And for God's Sake, make it a 26 episode seasonal anime. There's barely any quality control with the writing and animation in Super. Most episodes were terrible. I want every episode to look as cool as the Saitama vs. Boros fight in One Punch Man.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:48 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 pm "because anything they put on television would inevitably be a major downgrade from the latest movie"

Well, to be honest with you, i'd rather have a full time anime, that looks pretty good to descent and has excellent writing.
Shintani style is fine for me. But it doesn't have to be Broly-levels of animation each time for me. Well, it can, but the anime shouldn't be sacrificed for that.
A movie every three years without anime has so little to offer.
I'd like to have something substantial on my plate storywise in stead, this combined with solid, descent animated fights.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:54 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:48 pm A movie every three years has so little to offer.
An animated series with content as sloppy as the Monaka suit episode, the super human water mini arc, the great saiyman mini arc, and the saturday morning cartoon tournament of power padding has even less to offer.

At least I know I'm going to have a great time during a movie and every moment from start to end will be fun. I would rather leave a theater feeling hungry for more.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:59 pm

A Dragon Ball series that takes after Pokemon: Sun & Moon would be really nice. It just requires a creative vision willing to get off the cow's teat. Perhaps not likely but nevertheless something the staff should do to create a better series.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Absolutely.

By the way, I think they will keep the Yamamuro style in Heroes, but the main series will change the style.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:05 pm

Peach wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:54 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:48 pm A movie every three years has so little to offer.
An animated series with content as sloppy as the Monaka suit episode, the super human water mini arc, the great saiyman mini arc, and the saturday morning cartoon tournament of power padding has even less to offer.

That's not what i meant. Animation has to be descent, not like Supers first arcs, but the story-aspect shouldn't be completely sacrificed for that. I rather have some more animated content that doesn't look as good as Broly but still is superior to Supers first round, which has good writing as well.
A movie every three years however that looks great but only has Coolers and Janembas canonisation on the content side, has very little to offer for me.
In my roadbook DB is in its core an anime.
They may try to rebrand DB to a movie-only-format, but that does not mean i agree with that concept.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:09 pm

I only think that Golden Frieza looks better in Yamamuro's style, he looked kinda cheap in DBS Broly.
If Shintani were to return, I wish he'd improve on him.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:16 pm

It will go with Shintani as character designer for sure.
Broly’s movie was incredibly popular and so was the new style, which was praised a lot.
Also Shintani was picked by Toriyama and spent a lot of time mastering Dragon Ball’s style, and it took him months to finalize the sheets for Broly.
They wouldn’t put all that work to waste. Yamamuro will stay on Heroes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:17 pm

I hope they do. The animation is simpler so making fight scenes (Dragon Ball's forte) is just as easy. As much as I love Super, a lot of animations are basically the same frames over and over played really fast. With the Shintani style there's more freedom to vary them and making them longer.

God
Banned

Post by God » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:43 am

Shintani's style is good for animation, but the characters just look off most of the time and aren't how you expect the Dragon Ball characters to look. Also I doubt a weekly series would ever have the budget to match the Broly movie, and it'll just be as poor as the original anime but with the characters not looking how you're accustomed to.