My Dragon Ball Super rewrite

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: My Dragon Ball Super rewrite

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:41 pm

Love the stitching together of arcs. My version is more conservative only because I'm trying to avoid being told "that's not realistic!" 😆
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:52 pm

I haven’t been able to read everyone’s ideas and maybe someone else suggested this but one major change I would have made to the Future Trunks arc is adding in Gohan as a main character to the arc. I just feel it was a real missed opportunity he didn’t get to play a larger part in this arc. If he had known Trunks world was in trouble he would have wanted to help so I don’t think writing him in would be so hard.

I just think the idea of all the different tag teams you could have with this combination would have made the arc much more engaging. And It would have been nice to see adult Trunks fight along side Adult Gohan. Plus you would have the whole father/son duos and I would love Gohan to fight with Vegeta and Trunks with Goku to mix things up a bit.

And speaking of team ups that’s also a main thing I would change about the TOP it was a also missed opportunity for having characters fight together that normally don’t get to. Goku got to fight with almost everyone but no one else really did.

I didn’t like the ending of either of these arcs and I still wouldn’t even with these changes lol but I think in the long run these changes would have created more memorable moments for me
Last edited by Kinokima on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:01 pm

If I could do whatever I wanted I'd definitely just have replace Tenshinhan and Gohan with Chi-Chi and Videl. I want to see Gokuu interact with them in a battle setting and also see Videl interact with Piccolo.
She/Her
bisexual milf

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:33 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:01 pm If I could do whatever I wanted I'd definitely just have replace Tenshinhan and Gohan with Chi-Chi and Videl. I want to see Gokuu interact with them in a battle setting and also see Videl interact with Piccolo.
I'd actually love to see something like this. Seeing Chi-Chi as a serious fighter again would be pretty cool. Same with Videl. Since the writers are just throwing power boosts around these days, might as well give them one too. I wouldn't have ever previously suggested this, but I never thought I'd ever see Roshi take on fighters hundreds and millions of times stronger than Nappa either so anything's fair game now.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:15 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:01 pm If I could do whatever I wanted I'd definitely just have replace Tenshinhan and Gohan with Chi-Chi and Videl. I want to see Gokuu interact with them in a battle setting and also see Videl interact with Piccolo.
I’d have loved ChiChi and Videl to join and also Goten and Trunks just not in place of Gohan though. In place of Tien however absolutely

I also would have replaced Roshi but that is just my personal bias speaking. He had some good moments in the TOP. He was actually treated better than a lot of other characters.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:38 am

The Saiyan kids aren't necessary for this arc. They're in plenty of others and don't necessarily need to be fighters in general. With Roushi the ToP would be a last hurrah for him and Tenshinhan just doesn't have a story to tell at all. I struggled so hard trying to write his character arc in my version of the ToP.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:38 am The Saiyan kids aren't necessary for this arc. They're in plenty of others and don't necessarily need to be fighters in general. With Roushi the ToP would be a last hurrah for him and Tenshinhan just doesn't have a story to tell at all. I struggled so hard trying to write his character arc in my version of the ToP.
In Dragon Ball Roshi’s whole arc was about retiring and letting the younger ones handle things

Also Goten & Trunks haven’t really done anything significant in all of Super. They have become more like mascot characters than actual characters

I don’t necessarily begrudge Roshi getting a last hurrah but I just disagree that always writing out the Saiyan Kids (who are stronger than the human characters) makes sense when they are stronger than a lot of the characters included instead. It happened again in the Moro arc too.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:07 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:18 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:38 am The Saiyan kids aren't necessary for this arc. They're in plenty of others and don't necessarily need to be fighters in general. With Roushi the ToP would be a last hurrah for him and Tenshinhan just doesn't have a story to tell at all. I struggled so hard trying to write his character arc in my version of the ToP.
In Dragon Ball Roshi’s whole arc was about retiring and letting the younger ones handle things

Also Goten & Trunks haven’t really done anything significant in all of Super. They have become more like mascot characters than actual characters

I don’t necessarily begrudge Roshi getting a last hurrah but I just disagree that always writing out the Saiyan Kids (who are stronger than the human characters) makes sense when they are stronger than a lot of the characters included instead. It happened again in the Moro arc too.
I don't disagree that the Saiyan Kids have become little more than mascots, especially poor Goten, but Goku's main recruitment incentives were experience and skill, not just power. Goten and Trunks are strong but irresponsible and inexperienced, so that alone made sense to me as a reason to disqualify them. Them constantly wanting to fuse into Gotenks would prove even more problematic because he prioritises showing off over teamwork, and also the fact that a Fusion being knocked out would put them down two fighters. I think the Z-Warriors lowkey still haven't forgiven him for his screw-ups in the Buu arc and don't want a repeat situation.

I'll always say that Future Trunks not being set-up for the US arc was the biggest missed opportunity. While I'm not too keen on Chi-Chi joining personally, the idea of Videl getting involved in some way has definitely grown on me. I think she could have at least competed in the Zen Exhibition in place of Gohan. Hell, considering his amazing luck and survivability, Mr. Satan could have been entertaining albeit completely illogical -- the fact that Goku briefly considered it speaks to how much they respect each other.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:49 pm

Eh, at least replace Freeza or Roshi instead of Gohan. Removing him doesn't really work since he's their strategist and leader and would be grossly out of character for him to sit by anyway.
Kinokima wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:52 pm I haven’t been able to read everyone’s ideas and maybe someone else suggested this but one major change I would have made to the Future Trunks arc is adding in Gohan as a main character to the arc. I just feel it was a real missed opportunity he didn’t get to play a larger part in this arc. If he had known Trunks world was in trouble he would have wanted to help so I don’t think writing him in would be so hard.

I just think the idea of all the different tag teams you could have with this combination would have made the arc much more engaging. And It would have been nice to see adult Trunks fight along side Adult Gohan. Plus you would have the whole father/son duos and I would love Gohan to fight with Vegeta and Trunks with Goku to mix things up a bit.

And speaking of team ups that’s also a main thing I would change about the TOP it was a also missed opportunity for having characters fight together that normally don’t get to. Goku got to fight with almost everyone but no one else really did.

I didn’t like the ending of either of these arcs and I still wouldn’t even with these changes lol but I think in the long run these changes would have created more memorable moments for me
Yeah that's really what should have happened. It would have elevated the arc a lot I think instead of their half-baked "we're not gonna tell him until it's too late" nonsense that went on.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:48 pm

Freeza's development is way too irreplaceable. Besides, Piccolo and Kuririn can strategize just fine, to say nothing of Gokuu or Vegeta. With Gohan gone we can reduce the number of Saiyans, increase the number of curve balls and new interactions. Gohan kicks a ton of ass in FnF as it is, swapping him out for Videl lets us show that he is off having a life of his own and Videl and Gokuu not only wants to respect that but Videl wants to use it to her own personal advantage to get out on her own. I feel like I've seen "Gohan fights...again!" More times than I've seen those Shirley Temple informercials.

Conversely, I'd definitely remove Roushi from the Moro arc. It'd be way too repetitive at that point.

I have an idea for Goten but that involves an entirely separate arc with Tullece as the main antagonist.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:21 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:48 pm Freeza's development is way too irreplaceable. Besides, Piccolo and Kuririn can strategize just fine, to say nothing of Gokuu or Vegeta. With Gohan gone we can reduce the number of Saiyans, increase the number of curve balls and new interactions. Gohan kicks a ton of ass in FnF as it is, swapping him out for Videl lets us show that he is off having a life of his own and Videl and Gokuu not only wants to respect that but Videl wants to use it to her own personal advantage to get out on her own. I feel like I've seen "Gohan fights...again!" More times than I've seen those Shirley Temple informercials.

Conversely, I'd definitely remove Roushi from the Moro arc. It'd be way too repetitive at that point.

I have an idea for Goten but that involves an entirely separate arc with Tullece as the main antagonist.
Again, the problem with that is, Gohan as a character wouldn't just run off if the universe were in danger, and especially if his wife was getting involved. That's just not his character at all.

Freeza absolutely *is* replaceable though. He doesn't do anything that couldn't have been substituted by another character - even one of the weaker ones. And his "development" is null and voided because he just goes back to genocide anyway. Him being around after the ToP just makes the heroes look bad.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:28 pm

Who says Gohan has to be told? Leave Pan with Blooma or Satan and have Videl say they won't tell Gohan.

"Mou, Gohan-kun always gets to have fun! Let's make him stay home this time!"
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:49 pm

While I would love for Videl to play a more prominent role why would they leave out Gohan one of their strongest fighters? Besides Gohan & Videl fighting & strategizing together would have been great. I mean a side episode with just Videl and Goku may be fun though.

And I also didn’t think Freeza really developed in the TOP. He was just there at the end because they wanted the Goku/Freeza moment but in reality Freeza as a character did not change at all. They tried to play up the betrayal angle Throughout the TOP but there was never any real opportunity where Freeza betraying his team would have benefited him. Freeza was just being an opportunist and strangely he got rewarded for it in the story which is something that doesn’t sit well with me.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:49 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:49 pm While I would love for Videl to play a more prominent role why would they leave out Gohan one of their strongest fighters? Besides Gohan & Videl fighting & strategizing together would have been great. I mean a side episode with just Videl and Goku may be fun though.

And I also didn’t think Freeza really developed in the TOP. He was just there at the end because they wanted the Goku/Freeza moment but in reality Freeza as a character did not change at all. They tried to play up the betrayal angle Throughout the TOP but there was never any real opportunity where Freeza betraying his team would have benefited him. Freeza was just being an opportunist and strangely he got rewarded for it in the story which is something that doesn’t sit well with me.
1. Gohan doesn't really like to fight.
2. Why the fuck did they include Tenshinhan oh all people? Guy has no personality to speak of!
3. I'm bored of Gohan.
4. Gohan will inevitably been in ten million other arcs, so I don't see why not argue for something different here.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:29 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:28 pm Who says Gohan has to be told? Leave Pan with Blooma or Satan and have Videl say they won't tell Gohan.

"Mou, Gohan-kun always gets to have fun! Let's make him stay home this time!"
Because it's not a weekend excursion. The ToP was a serious situation to the nth degree. Not telling Gohan about it would be out of character for her and everyone else too.
Kinokima wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:49 pm While I would love for Videl to play a more prominent role why would they leave out Gohan one of their strongest fighters? Besides Gohan & Videl fighting & strategizing together would have been great. I mean a side episode with just Videl and Goku may be fun though.

They wouldn't and Gohan would be upset if they tried to.

But yeah I agree with you on Freeza. He stands around for a huge chunk of the tournament and then gets tossed around. It's really not as big a deal as people like to paint it to be.
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:49 pm

1. Gohan doesn't really like to fight.
2. Why the fuck did they include Tenshinhan oh all people? Guy has no personality to speak of!
3. I'm bored of Gohan.
4. Gohan will inevitably been in ten million other arcs, so I don't see why not argue for something different here.
1. This is a misconception. Gohan does actually like fighting/martial arts, just not meaningless death matches like his dad/Cell wanted. Even in Super he's shown excited about the exhibition, excited to fight strong guys in the tournament. Go back to the original series, he's keen on fighting to show off to his dad vs Dabra and pragmatic during the entire Boo situation. He's not gonna sit back when some world-ending event, like the ToP, is happening.
2. Tenshinhan was picked because Toriyama chose him/wanted three humans on the team. It's his fault for not giving the staff anything to worth with when he has plenty of tricks of his own.
3. Fair enough but he's still one of the strongest characters in the multiverse and one of Dragon Team's smartest fighters. It goes beyond suspension of disbelief to ignore that.
4. You could argue the same about Vegeta and yet he's there. The fact is, Toriyama likes bringing the core Dragon Team along to big events.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:41 pm

The Zamasu arc, part 6: