The name of DBS Sequel

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

The name of DBS Sequel

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:27 pm

So, hypothetically speaking... what do you think the sequel to Dragon Ball Super would be called?
Frankly, I was kinda surprised by the announcement back then, as Dragon Ball Super, sounds kinda silly.
I am used to Dragon Ball Z, GT, Gundam X, Zeta Gundam, Gundam ZZ, Slayers R, Saint Seiya Omega...
It was to me like calling it for example... Dragon Ball Turbo or Dragon Ball Ultra.
But here we are, 5 years after and Super is basically carved into stone.
What do you think the name of Super's sequel, if we get any at all, can be?
Just Dragon Ball Super? Or:
Dragon Ball Super2 / Dragon Ball SuperZ
Dragon Ball Ultra
Dragon Ball Next
Dragon Ball ZZ
Dragon Ball - The Vegeta finally defeats a villain show!

Have fun! :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: The name of DBS Sequel

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:41 pm

It depends on when it takes place, if we are talking about the anime coming back with Broly, Moro and maybe one more mini arc, all still before EoZ, then DBS 2 would be ok.

If it will take place after the ending of the manga, then I like DB Next, or something to that effect.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:01 pm

I highly doubt they'll change the name if it still takes place before EOZ, so Super will just pick up with EP132.

When it moves past EOZ, it should be called DB: Next generations (which is what this revival should've been post BOG).

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:12 pm

It really depends on what they're doing.

Wrapping up Beerus' character, adapting the manga, Broly, visiting universe 6? Call it Dragon Ball Super or Dragon Ball Super Part 2.

If they go past the end of z, they should give a totally different name IMO.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:43 pm

They will most likely just keep it Super, and at best add another subtitle like they did for Kai: The Final Chapters or just change up the logo a bit to make it feel fresh.

That is unless they decide to tell stories set after Uub and thus Z. In that case they could either keep the Z subtitle (heck, they revealed they were about to use DBZ for the latest Broly’s movie!) or come up with a new one, like:
• Dragon Ball Next,
• Dragon Ball Ultra,
• Dragon Ball Last,
• Dragon Ball Z Super,
• Dragon Ball X,
• Dragon Ball Ω,
• Dragon Ball ∂,
• Dragon Ball Alpha,
• Dragon Ball Plus.
Or whatever the heck Toriyama comes up with. I personally don’t mind any of the names above.
As long as it’s a simple name I am ok with it.
Last edited by emperior on Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:48 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:43 pmThat is unless they decide to tell stories set after Uub and thus Z. In that case they could either keep the Z subtitle (heck, they revealed they were about to use DBZ for the latest Broly’s movie!)
When did they reveal that ? what did they say ?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:48 pm
emperior wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:43 pmThat is unless they decide to tell stories set after Uub and thus Z. In that case they could either keep the Z subtitle (heck, they revealed they were about to use DBZ for the latest Broly’s movie!)
It was in the Japan Home Video interview by Hayashida. In that same interview it was revealed that Toriyama made 6 corrections to the movie, 3 of which were to Freeza and one to Goku’s facial expression at the end.
The only source I could find is this, but the account is reliable: https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... 6065190913

Unfortunately Kanzenshuu still hasn’t translated it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:22 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:09 pm It was in the Japan Home Video interview by Hayashida. In that same interview it was revealed that Toriyama made 6 corrections to the movie, 3 of which were to Freeza and one to Goku’s facial expression at the end.
The only source I could find is this, but the account is reliable: https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... 6065190913

I'm surprised that interview hasn't been translated, that sounds like really interesting information for how Toriyama was involved. I wonder which parts were Toriyama's Frieza corrections.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:22 pm
emperior wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:09 pm It was in the Japan Home Video interview by Hayashida. In that same interview it was revealed that Toriyama made 6 corrections to the movie, 3 of which were to Freeza and one to Goku’s facial expression at the end.

I'm surprised that interview hasn't been translated, that sounds like really interesting information for how Toriyama was involved. I wonder which parts were Toriyama's Frieza corrections.
Yeah! It’s definitely very interesting. But it seems like they didn’t reveal what those 6 corrections were apart from Goku’s one. It’s not even clear if Toriyama directly corrected the drawings as he does for the manga or if he just gave them some direction.

Considering this is Toriyama we are talking about, it wouldn’t surprise me if the corrections to Freeza were made to the 3 gags where he’s involved. Which are the 5 cm one, the one with Goku asking what inhospitable means, and the one where he kills Paragus.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:35 pm

I doubt they will change the name of the manga even when/if surpasses “EoZ”; but maybe they change the anime to communicate/advertise that is continuing from the long pause/apparent ending, or maybe just to communicate/advertise that is being handled different than BoG-ToP DBS.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:56 pm

It should just be called Dragon Ball Super. And that’s final. Any change in name is just plain stupid and 100% unnecessary!

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:59 pm

How about
?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:21 pm

Psajdak wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:59 pm How about
?
No man, you have just broke the multiverse!
That is not acceptable by any means...

What about... Dragon Ball Hoshi? :lol:
Written as 乾し, which means dried :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:39 pm

Well, er... Dragon Ball Super. Dragon Ball SuperZ if they really have to change it up. But since the manga has kept going without changing its name, I don't think the anime should change its name when/if it returns. It's better to just keep the initial name, and then people could call it "Season 2" or something like that if it's really necessary to specify.
My signature contains a decent series name, I think. I like how "Dragon Ball Ultimate" sounds. Though I'd probably be upset if that name ended up getting used officially!
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:54 pm

I have this gut feeling that it's gonna be Dragon Ball Super Z. Not that I want that, but that's what I think it'll be.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:35 pm

DB Super Duper.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:01 am

Dragon Ball + some strage latin word, it's a trend. Dragon Ball Certamine Plurimum.

Dragon Ball + some silly tag. Dragon Ball U^X (YourUpperCross)

Dragon Ball + some silly tag, youtube prissy style. Dragon Ball Evo_/:NXT

Dragon Ball + a material. Dragon Ball Emerald, Dragon Ball Gold.

Dragon Ball + some subtitle. Youtube 6 aged prissy style. Dragon Ball Eternal Fury of Battle Power.

...but more probably the sequel of DBS will be just DBS, season two. IF a sequel will be in the same spirit. That shouldn't give for granted, they can go for a total new road (and after 2 debacle series, probably they should have learned half of the audience it's older than 20...).
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:20 am

emperior wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:09 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:48 pm
It was in the Japan Home Video interview by Hayashida. In that same interview it was revealed that Toriyama made 6 corrections to the movie, 3 of which were to Freeza and one to Goku’s facial expression at the end.

That would've been a marketing nightmare for Funimation. "Before you watch DBZ: Broly, come watch DBZ:Broly: The legendary Ssj." :lol:

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:34 am

Dragon Ball FP, standing for Full-Power. But like GT, it can stand for whatever you want. They went with Super because it was a word always associated with Dragon Ball, so FULLU-POWA-GA makes about as much sense. :P Above all though, it's gotta be snappy.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:35 am

Dragon Ball Super Kai Z: Ultra Hyper Platinum 358/2 Days Next Generation Ω Evolution: The Final Chapters (Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series).
Formerly Marlowe89.