In hindsight, what are your opinions on Infinite Zamasu (manga and anime versions)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Re: In hindsight, what are your opinions on Infinite Zamasu (manga and anime versions)?

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:14 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:36 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:54 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:40 pm The theory basically states that Zamasu's essence managed to latch onto Zeno before the multiverse got erased, and then took over Zeno while he was left alone floating in the void. The main evidence that supports this theory is that Future Zeno acted in a different way compared to Present Zeno (mainly the fact that one is left-handed while the other is right-handed). Since they are the same person and lived under the same circumstances, they should be identical. Furthermore Future Zeno would always raise his right hand after looking at P. Zeno, and this could be interpreted as Zamasu trying to imitate Present Zeno as best he could to remain hidden and to make it seem like there's nothing odd about Future Zeno.

I'm fairly certain that this theory has been debunked already and is very unlikely to happen, but then again so many unlikely things happened in Super that there's always a small chance. I'll admit that it's more of a joke theory and it's very far-fetched.
Oh god, that's giving me 'Nam style flashbacks to the "Hit's clone" fan theories... :sick: I love Zamasu but I think he needs to stay dead.
Knowing how a lot of returning DB villains ended up, remaining dead would indeed be merciful... he could be turned into a scooby doo-level villain or, even worse, redeem himself... and I've had enough of reformed villains.
Only way I want to see Zamasu return is if its sorta like that one fan manga I read with Saitama vs God.
Zamasu should only return ic ever as some universal/infinite/celestial being that the heroes all have to deal with.
Oh I clearly prefer the anime version of Infinite Zamasu

DBPirate

Re: In hindsight, what are your opinions on Infinite Zamasu (manga and anime versions)?

Post by DBPirate » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:29 pm

I prefer the concept of the anime version more and I don't even have a problem with Zeno being the one to "save the day". I like the idea that there's a threat so dangerous that even our heroes can't defeat them. I highly doubt he'd ever be used again anyway, since that wouldn't be in character for Goku or Vegeta.

Still, I think its execution was a bit rushed. He's dealt with in, what, 5 minutes?
Favorite sagas: Tien Shinhan (DB), Frieza (Z), Future Trunks (Super)
Favorite characters: Frieza, Future Trunks, Beerus, Android 17, Zamasu, Gohan

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:39 pm

I prefer the Manga Iteration because the Anime's version feels like a stolen win. In the anime you have the cool (If not admittedly asspulled) scene of Trunks Using a Spirit Sword to Cut Zamasu in half and its shown like how a Main Villian would be defeated. This is the Cell vs Gohan Kamehameha Moment. Its the Spirit Bomb vs Kid Buu Moment. Everyone is ready to go before magic sky beam happens and then Zamasu is in the Sky, Shoots everyone and, and the whole planet is dead.

It feel hopeless sure, but it also feels like everything in the arc was pointless.

In the manga Trunks cutting down Zamasu and Stabbing black only lasts for one page. There are no farewells, the arc didn't feel like it was wrapping up. And the Threat of Infinite Zamasu in the Manga is tangible, and while the situation is desperate and we have no clue how they could win at this point, it doesn't come out of left field like the anime's version is.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:45 pm

As I lay on my bed writing this in a different mind set and place in life than when I normally answer this question I feel I would have liked to see a different ending where Trunks' timeline survived if only because I'm a sucker for happy endings and seeing what comes next.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:57 pm

I don’t have a huge preference for one version or the other in terms of his form in the finale, other than observing that both picked something that worked for their medium. The patterned sky is difficult to render effectively in a manga, and the infinite clones difficult to achieve on a TV animation budget—they made choices that were effective and achievable in each. I guess I might note that Zamasu teaching across timelines at the end of the anime feels a little convenient/out-of-nowhere, whereas by retraining his sentience in the manga and introducing the idea that he has his own time-machine, the threat across timelines and eras is achieved a little more believably.

I also ... don’t know that I really have a preference between versions of the character overall. Both the anime’s unhinged mustache-twirler and the entitled punk of the manga who gets in over his head have their appeals. In both, some of the charm of both Zamasu and Black individually is lost in the fusion, who is nevertheless an effective final boss.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:58 am

I always liked the anime version better because it was simply so deliciously OP. Nothing (expect Zeno obviously) can touch him, even Beerus and Whis got worried about him as he began to infect the present. It really felt like if Zeno didn't erase Trunks timeline then existence as they know it ends. Nothing as come close to that feeling after the arc.

Manga version feels lesser in comparison but I have grown to like it too. I just wish Zamasu wasn't a coward while facing Zeno. In the anime Zamasu simply laughed at him and continued on. I also would have liked Zamasu to not be an idiot and attempt to do his version of Completed Rose.

I really do hope Zamasu comes back eventually. At least Goku Black.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:45 am

After 1 year I've changed my mind, the manga version is stupid. It doesn't justify the erasure of an entire timeline, since Zeno could have simply erased the Earth. Meanwhile in the anime Zamasu had already merged with the entire cosmos and was even affecting other timelines.

I don't know why Toyotaro didn't have the balls to copy what the anime did tbh, Zamasu becoming a Multiversal entity that transcended time was perfect and is (one of) the many reasons why Zamasu is the best villain.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:40 am

To be fair, Zamasu in the manga IS a lesser villain compared to his anime self. He's more incompetent, more rash, more easily manipulated and, most of all, a lot more easily defeated. He's more of a bully, a punk who's only satisfied when he's in control, and can't fathom the idea that he can't be God anymore. It fits that, as the amalgamation of these traits, Fused Zamasu's ultimate form is an army of himself - like real bullies, they can only feel powerful, when opposed, by having a gang of like minded fellows at his side.

In the anime he's more sophisticated, sees his grand work as a grim necessity that he's not necessarily fond of (especially when it comes to having to kill his own godly kin) and is always thinking about his next step. This is admittedly more Black than Future Zamasu, but even his future counterpart shows such moments. So when they fuse and becomes a cackling egomaniac who is clearly drunk on his own power, it's ironic because that sophistication is still there, but clearly being suppressed by that power high - otherwise he would have just killed our heroes the first chance he got. It's even more ironic when all of that gets thrown away after he loses his mind and becomes a Blind Idiot of a God who just wants to laugh and consume everything in his way, probably not even knowing why he's doing it.

I'd say they are both effectives in the message they portray, but my bias sends me towards preferring the lovecraftian Outer God that he becomes.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:41 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:45 am After 1 year I've changed my mind, the manga version is stupid. It doesn't justify the erasure of an entire timeline, since Zeno could have simply erased the Earth. Meanwhile in the anime Zamasu had already merged with the entire cosmos and was even affecting other timelines.

I don't know why Toyotaro didn't have the balls to copy what the anime did tbh, Zamasu becoming a Multiversal entity that transcended time was perfect and is (one of) the many reasons why Zamasu is the best villain.
I used to think this but then I realized that the timeline had to go. Any of those Zamasus could simply Kai Kai themselves to another part of the universe or another universe altogether and survive.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:47 pm

You know it's funny when you think about it, but "Meta Cooler 2.0" would have made more sense in the anime honestly. Even though I prefer the anime version of Infinite Zamasu. This is because in the anime Goku Black showed the ability to replicate himself and create an endless army of clones, using the power of his scythe. So it would have made sense if Fused Zamasu (who is part Black) also used that ability to replicate himself to no end. But then again, Fused Zamasu for some reason never used the scythe that Black created shortly before fusing. I guess he would have been too OP with it :think:

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:28 pm

I prefer Toriyama's version since there was no set up to Anime Zamasu going from being another strong fighter to becoming a pastiche of Multi Eternity. There was Black's weird abilities but that hardly justifies becoming the embodiment of existence just from having odd and/or abilities. There should've been at least some mention of a universal/multiversal singularity by Gowasu or Zuno to which one could merge their essence with and takeover reality as they knew it. That could've officially been Zamasu's backup plan in case things didn't go right with eliminating all of the other Kaioshin and their Hakaishin & Angels as a result.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:38 pm

I think the anime had an interesting contrast to the traditional notion that the manga set up.

Because, well, what exactly should happen when you have a immortal being's body completely destroyed?

They're still kinda immortal and unable to actually die, so what the heck happens if they have nothing to come back from? The anime went with a crazy wild idea of Zamasu's very soul being too stubborn due to its immortality to stay dead like it should and ending up f**king up all of reality from this contradiction, and I commend the bold choice.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:05 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:45 am It doesn't justify the erasure of an entire timeline, since Zeno could have simply erased the Earth.
that was probably better to portray one of the points of the arc: reliance on the Gods is not necessarily anything good, while also explaining WHY the Gods are all scared shitless of Zen-chan.
It wasn't just his power, but the fact he can annihilate a whole timeline just to remove a single blemish on a single planet.
He's a Tsar Bomb on a hair-trigger.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:16 pm

I'm not sure if Toriyama specified it in the outline but I think the manga version made more sense with what we learned about Zeno earlier in the arc. When Goku asked Whis why they don't get Zeno to deal with Goku Black, Whis said that Zeno could potentially destroy the universe (or universes?). I forgot when it was mentioned exactly but it was also revealed that Zeno destroyed six universes over some unknown annoyance. I think the anime tried to justify it more by having Zamasu spread across the multiverse but I'm not sure if Zeno could've been aware of that.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:12 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:05 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:45 am It doesn't justify the erasure of an entire timeline, since Zeno could have simply erased the Earth.
that was probably better to portray one of the points of the arc: reliance on the Gods is not necessarily anything good, while also explaining WHY the Gods are all scared shitless of Zen-chan.
It wasn't just his power, but the fact he can annihilate a whole timeline just to remove a single blemish on a single planet.
He's a Tsar Bomb on a hair-trigger.
I mean, it was already stated Zeno erased 6 universes because he was bored one day, so you don't need to prove anything any further.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:09 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:12 am I mean, it was already stated Zeno erased 6 universes because he was bored one day, so you don't need to prove anything any further.
Telling is not Seeing.

Especially for Goku, but for the audience as well

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:29 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:09 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:12 am I mean, it was already stated Zeno erased 6 universes because he was bored one day, so you don't need to prove anything any further.
Telling is not Seeing.

I agree, but that is not a general rule for the audience, some people are indeed fine with just some exposition :think:

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:55 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:29 pm
ankokudaishogun wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:09 pm
Telling is not Seeing.

I agree, but that is not a general rule for the audience, some people are indeed fine with just some exposition :think:
True, but Beerus is not really the most trustworthy narrator, thus an actual proof of psychopathy for Zen'oh was IMHO necessary

And power, too: he annihilated a whole universe in few instants, even, in the anime, taking down the streamers

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:49 am

I vastly prefer the way the anime handled it. It not only conveyed how desperate Zamasu was to achieve his goal but also illustrated the consequences of Zamasu's decision to fuse with Goku Black. He not only lost his immortality but due to Goku's Saiyan biology, he mutated as a result of the anger he was experiencing until he became an abomination that was completely consumed by his rage against the mortals. I felt that it was more fitting since it cleverly ties how Saiyans grow stronger and transform from rage and how that had a significant impact on Merged Zamasu.

The manga's version wasn't bad but it felt more boring to watch and we don't really witness the psychological toll that Zamasu experienced compared to the anime's.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:30 am

One thing I especially like about both of these endings is the potential they have for some cool videogame stuff down the road. I'd love to see a future Dragon Ball game do a "What If" scenario involving a Vegeta who has his forced spirit fission technique being plopped into this fight.