In hindsight, what are your opinions on Infinite Zamasu (manga and anime versions)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

In hindsight, what are your opinions on Infinite Zamasu (manga and anime versions)?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:18 am

The ending of the Future Trunks arc is controversial to this day, but with the benefit of hindsight, what are your current opinions on the concept or execution of Infinite Zamasu in both the anime and manga versions of the story?

Do you prefer the anime version's "Giygas"/"screensaver" approach, where Zamasu's soul infects the cosmos itself. Losing all reason and ability to speak, he becomes a giggling eldritch singularity with the whole multiverse, his twisted mug endlessly repeated across the sky.

Do you prefer the manga version's "infinite mitosis" approach, where Fused Zamasu refuses to defuse (weird turn of phrase) and clones himself constantly? There's no hope in destroying him, since every attack causes him to multiply.

Or are you driven to mouth-frothing anger at the idea of either of them?

Personally, I've come to really appreciate the manga's execution. In the anime, you get a sense that the paradox of Trunks seemingly killing a Super Shenron-imbued immortal being causes the universe to just freak out. In the manga, it's more about how the Potara react to the unholy nature of Zamasu. It reminds me of Super Buu absorbing Gotenks, and then Gotenks defusing inside Buu's body, causing the monster to lose power and assume Piccolo's appearance. That's a really creative examination of how the magic in Dragon Ball works.

When you really think about it, everything about Fused Zamasu is already so wrong, so it's really cool that the story acknowledges the logical conclusions of that. Fused Zamasu is a fusion of two of the same person, which should already be a huge no-no, but then you add the fact that one is mortal while the other isn't, one is in Goku's body, etc., it all piles up. So I love the idea that Fused Zamasu is initially able to prolong the fusion belong its natural limit through sheer willpower, but he becomes this horrific half-Black, half-Zamasu monster. Then when he eventually does defuse, both his fusees can just turn back into Fused Zamasu.

In the manga, the reveal that Black and Zamasu can simply turn back into Fused Zamasu is such an effective oh-crap moment, on par with the scene in the Return of Cooler movie when Goku looks up and, uh-oh, there's another Meta-Cooler standing on the cliff!? B-b-but they barely managed to beat one! Toyotaro references that scene directly with that panel of Goku and Vegeta facing off against a whole city full of Fused Zamasus, just like when the Meta-Cooler army starts sliding down the cliff. The hopelessness of the situation is really palpable.

The initial reveal of the anime version isn't nearly as effective. I don't think it's helped by the overall rubbish effect of Zamasu's face copied across the sky. It sounds good on paper, but in practice it just looks naff. It lacks the immediate impact of "great, we barely beat Fused Zamasu, now there's two of him" escalating to there being a whole army of him. There is still a hopelessness to the situation, especially since this Infinite Zamasu is completely incorporeal so there's no chance of fighting him, but there's less of a sense of immediate danger because Infinite Zamasu can't even recognise the heroes. The manga version has that physical threat of an army of evil, immortal psychos coming to get you.

I will say that the anime version has a much better justification for Zeno to erase the whole timeline, and it better establishes Zeno's insane power. SDB-imbued immortality or not, Zeno can kill you and your whole timeline without breaking a sweat. In the manga version, it feels like a bit of an extreme response.

Phew. Got a bit carried away there. I realise that the Infinite Zamasu twist is still a hugely controversial story beat in the Future Trunks arc so I understand some of you will probably just hate the very idea of it, which is fine.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: In hindsight, what are your opinions on Infinite Zamasu (manga and anime versions)?

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:28 am

In the manga, they literally used the "infinite Zamasu" concept by showing seemingly infinite clones. Eh, nothing to write home about it. The idea of clones isn't interesting to me. In the anime, it was slightly better, becoming one with the Universe was cool, if we get to see that. I might be misremembering, but all I remember was Zamasu affecting Earth's sky only, not the whole Universe. At any rate, it was kinda cool.

The saga actually ends with Trunks living with himself, and oh boy if that isn't the most crap ending I have seen in all fiction.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: In hindsight, what are your opinions on Infinite Zamasu (manga and anime versions)?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 am

It was a great twist and one of the reasons why Zamasu is such a memorable villain. He was the only villain who successfully killed everyone in the universe, and not even the Dragon Balls could undo the damage he caused. It took literally Zeno to defeat him.

I don't think I have a favourite, I loved both incarnations. They both achieved what they were going for:

In both pictures you can feel a sense of utter hopelessness and desperation. There is literally nowhere else to go, the protagonists are backed into a corner against an unstoppable and immortal villain. If I really had to choose a favourite, I would go for the anime version, simply because of his creepy and constant laugh. That was very scary, especially when you take into consideration who Zamasu was. He was elegant, polite, intelligent, so to see him reduced into a state where he could only cackle maniacally was chilling and sad.

I still don't get how Zamasu wasn't the final villain.... how can people like Moro even come close to that level of destruction? Literally the ENTIRE MULTIVERSE was annihilated! That kind of scale is something that should be kept for a grand final arc.
Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:28 am In the anime, it was slightly better, becoming one with the Universe was cool, if we get to see that. I might be misremembering, but all I remember was Zamasu affecting Earth's sky only, not the whole Universe. At any rate, it was kinda cool.
Zamasu's energy was shown spreading across the entire universe, it can be inferred that he started covering every other planet too. At one point he even broke into the present timeline. He was trying to corrupt the entire space-time continuum. If I'm not mistaken, in the manga he even says something like "I will wipe out all the mortals in your past too!".

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:28 am In the manga, they literally used the "infinite Zamasu" concept by showing seemingly infinite clones. Eh, nothing to write home about it. The idea of clones isn't interesting to me. In the anime, it was slightly better, becoming one with the Universe was cool, if we get to see that. I might be misremembering, but all I remember was Zamasu affecting Earth's sky only, not the whole Universe. At any rate, it was kinda cool.

The saga actually ends with Trunks living with himself, and oh boy if that isn't the most crap ending I have seen in all fiction.
Thanks for commenting, and fair do's. Funnily enough, I should've mentioned that I too used to dislike the manga's version. Admittedly, on paper, clones aren't too impressive. It's kinda funny to me that one sounded really basic on paper but was executed well, and the other was a really high concept idea that wasn't quite done justice, in my opinion anyway.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 am It was a great twist and one of the reasons why Zamasu is such a memorable villain. He was the only villain who successfully killed everyone in the universe, and not even the Dragon Balls could undo the damage he caused. It took literally Zeno to defeat him.

I don't think I have a favourite, I loved both incarnations. They both achieved what they were going for:

In both pictures you can feel a sense of utter hopelessness and desperation. There is literally nowhere else to go, the protagonists are backed into a corner against an unstoppable and immortal villain. If I really had to choose a favourite, I would go for the anime version, simply because of his creepy and constant laugh. That was very scary, especially when you take into consideration who Zamasu was. He was elegant, polite, intelligent, so to see him reduced into a state where he could only cackle maniacally was chilling and sad.

I still don't get how Zamasu wasn't the final villain.... how can people like Moro even come close to that level of destruction? Literally the ENTIRE MULTIVERSE was annihilated! That kind of scale is something that should be kept for a grand final arc.
Nice! I was looking forward to your contribution.

One problem people have with the twist is that it feels like a cheat after Trunks got his "ep1c w1n", which is fair, but Dragon Ball villains cheat at the last minute all the time. Frieza surviving the Spirit Bomb, Cell surviving his own self-destruct, all the crap Majin Buu pulls over the course of his arc. Dragon Ball never gives its protagonists a break :lol: In some ways I guess you could say that they maybe took it too far in the anime, since as you said, realistically a villain of this scope should be the last villain ever with huge consequences for his existence. I think the manga version strikes a perfect balance with the implication of this massive, growing threat that will keep expanding until Zeno puts a stop to it.

I wish some things were handled better in both versions, namely more lasting consequences. Infinite Zamasu destroys Trunks' world, but the fact that Trunks just goes back to another identical one is way more of a cop out to me, and really all we're left is is Future Zeno being introduced for the Tournament of Power. I wish Trunks had just stayed in the normal timeline. But that's a debate for plenty of other threads. I'm just glad Infinite Zamasu has fans!

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:45 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:18 am Fused Zamasu is a fusion of two of the same person, which should already be a huge no-no, but then you add the fact that one is mortal while the other isn't, one is in Goku's body, etc., it all piles up. So I love the idea that Fused Zamasu is initially able to prolong the fusion belong its natural limit through sheer willpower, but he becomes this horrific half-Black, half-Zamasu monster. Then when he eventually does defuse, both his fusees can just turn back into Fused Zamasu.
I always thought that what happened was that Fused Zamasu was immortal, so when facing defusion (effectively dying) the immortality reacted weird, first regenerating Fused Zamasu in both Black and Zamasu, and then in every other piece, creating Infinite Zamasu.

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:18 am In the manga version, it feels like a bit of an extreme response.
I feel that it works better to show Zenō's character and why everyone is so afraid of him.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:00 pm

pepd wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:45 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:18 am Fused Zamasu is a fusion of two of the same person, which should already be a huge no-no, but then you add the fact that one is mortal while the other isn't, one is in Goku's body, etc., it all piles up. So I love the idea that Fused Zamasu is initially able to prolong the fusion belong its natural limit through sheer willpower, but he becomes this horrific half-Black, half-Zamasu monster. Then when he eventually does defuse, both his fusees can just turn back into Fused Zamasu.
I always thought that what happened was that Fused Zamasu was immortal, so when facing defusion (effectively dying) the immortality reacted weird, first regenerating Fused Zamasu in both Black and Zamasu, and then in every other piece, creating Infinite Zamasu.

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:18 am In the manga version, it feels like a bit of an extreme response.
I feel that it works better to show Zenō's character and why everyone is so afraid of him.
Both really good points. Never considered that defusing would be considered a form of death. That certainly would've affected the fusion bugging out like it did. :) Also, I always expected Future Zeno to have a slightly more ruthless personality than Present Zeno due to him not knowing Goku and the fact that he casually busted his whole timeline.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:18 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:26 pm
Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:28 am In the manga, they literally used the "infinite Zamasu" concept by showing seemingly infinite clones. Eh, nothing to write home about it. The idea of clones isn't interesting to me. In the anime, it was slightly better, becoming one with the Universe was cool, if we get to see that. I might be misremembering, but all I remember was Zamasu affecting Earth's sky only, not the whole Universe. At any rate, it was kinda cool.

Thanks for commenting, and fair do's. Funnily enough, I should've mentioned that I too used to dislike the manga's version. Admittedly, on paper, clones aren't too impressive. It's kinda funny to me that one sounded really basic on paper but was executed well, and the other was a really high concept idea that wasn't quite done justice, in my opinion anyway.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 am It was a great twist and one of the reasons why Zamasu is such a memorable villain. He was the only villain who successfully killed everyone in the universe, and not even the Dragon Balls could undo the damage he caused. It took literally Zeno to defeat him.

Nice! I was looking forward to your contribution.

One problem people have with the twist is that it feels like a cheat after Trunks got his "ep1c w1n", which is fair, but Dragon Ball villains cheat at the last minute all the time. Frieza surviving the Spirit Bomb, Cell surviving his own self-destruct, all the crap Majin Buu pulls over the course of his arc. Dragon Ball never gives its protagonists a break :lol: In some ways I guess you could say that they maybe took it too far in the anime, since as you said, realistically a villain of this scope should be the last villain ever with huge consequences for his existence. I think the manga version strikes a perfect balance with the implication of this massive, growing threat that will keep expanding until Zeno puts a stop to it.

I wish some things were handled better in both versions, namely more lasting consequences. Infinite Zamasu destroys Trunks' world, but the fact that Trunks just goes back to another identical one is way more of a cop out to me, and really all we're left is is Future Zeno being introduced for the Tournament of Power. I wish Trunks had just stayed in the normal timeline. But that's a debate for plenty of other threads. I'm just glad Infinite Zamasu has fans!
But it should be a cheat, shouldn't it? He was granted immortality by the Super Dragon Balls, which can grant any wish you want. To give you an idea of how OP they are, by Beerus' own admission not even hakai could take care of Zamasu once he got immortality. A character who possesses perfect immortality is bound to be a "cheat character".

Your second argument about lasting consequences is true, but I'm still fairly confident that the presence of two Zeno will lead to something major in the future (we'll see once the goat man arc finally comes to an end).

I still believe in the "Future Zeno = Zamasu" theory btw. Because why not, anything can happen.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:26 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:18 pm
But it should be a cheat, shouldn't it? He was granted immortality by the Super Dragon Balls, which can grant any wish you want. To give you an idea of how OP they are, by Beerus' own admission not even hakai could take care of Zamasu once he got immortality. A character who possesses perfect immortality is bound to be a "cheat character".

Your second argument about lasting consequences is true, but I'm still fairly confident that the presence of two Zeno will lead to something major in the future (we'll see once the goat man arc finally comes to an end).

I still believe in the "Future Zeno = Zamasu" theory btw. Because why not, anything can happen.
Indeed, Zamasu definitely "deserved" a cheat as it were, purely because of the Super Dragon Balls. As cool as the Spirit Sword moment is, Zamasu dying then and there to it would feel way too simple.

And what is this theory? I'm almost nervous to ask :lol:

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:30 pm

I have a known bias towards the anime version, but I feel like it better showcased how you just LOSE.

The heroes are left with something they literally can't fight back against, and Future Trunks well and truly fails his last duty to save everyone left on Earth. It's a much more powerful scene to see Mai screaming at the top of her lungs in anguish and shooting into the sky in despair, something that you just don't get in the manga.

In the anime, I feel like the despair and bittersweet nature of the ending was more earned, in a sense.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:32 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 amAt one point he even broke into the present timeline.
Yeah, but you don't need to affect the Universe to do that. Maybe it was some energy caused by the time machine that allowed him to reach the present timeline. That same energy that pulled Goku Black back to the future timeline.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:26 pmThanks for commenting, and fair do's. Funnily enough, I should've mentioned that I too used to dislike the manga's version. Admittedly, on paper, clones aren't too impressive. It's kinda funny to me that one sounded really basic on paper but was executed well, and the other was a really high concept idea that wasn't quite done justice, in my opinion anyway.
Well, I just remember seeing a couple of images showing lots of Merged Zamasu. I don't know if he does something remarkable to warrant saying the execution was good, but from the images I saw, it just seemed like Movie 6 and its many Metal Cooler clones, and even so nothing really happened.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:39 pm

I think having Zamasu turn the tables on everyone like that was a great idea, but why on earth would they end the arc so soon ? It could've easily lead into a new one with everyone on the run form him, trying to figure out a way to restore things to normal.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:40 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:26 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:18 pm

Indeed, Zamasu definitely "deserved" a cheat as it were, purely because of the Super Dragon Balls. As cool as the Spirit Sword moment is, Zamasu dying then and there to it would feel way too simple.

And what is this theory? I'm almost nervous to ask :lol:
The theory basically states that Zamasu's essence managed to latch onto Zeno before the multiverse got erased, and then took over Zeno while he was left alone floating in the void. The main evidence that supports this theory is that Future Zeno acted in a different way compared to Present Zeno (mainly the fact that one is left-handed while the other is right-handed). Since they are the same person and lived under the same circumstances, they should be identical. Furthermore Future Zeno would always raise his right hand after looking at P. Zeno, and this could be interpreted as Zamasu trying to imitate Present Zeno as best he could to remain hidden and to make it seem like there's nothing odd about Future Zeno.

I'm fairly certain that this theory has been debunked already and is very unlikely to happen, but then again so many unlikely things happened in Super that there's always a small chance. I'll admit that it's more of a joke theory and it's very far-fetched.
Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:32 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 amAt one point he even broke into the present timeline.
Yeah, but you don't need to affect the Universe to do that. Maybe it was some energy caused by the time machine that allowed him to reach the present timeline. That same energy that pulled Goku Black back to the future timeline.
That is what was said in the episode iirc, he used the same time rift that Black went through earlier in the arc.

While it's true that it's left ambiguous if Zamasu covered other worlds like Earth, I think we should infer that from that shot of Zamasu's energy spreading throughout the universe from Earth, coupled with Gowasu's statement that he merged with the very fabric of the cosmos.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:48 pm

Dumbest concept ever. It's actually sad how bad both are. Visually I way prefer the manga's version. However, the explanation is dumb

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pm

I prefer the manga version because it is more palpable, you can actually fight an army of clones, while you can't really fight the sky, can you? The manga does leave you with a certain feeling of hope, it gives you a chance for a final stand, for instance, what if Vegito Blue made his appearence actually when the army starts to overtake the city? he was too much for one Zamasu, but vs an army it would've been awesome, even if he ends up being overrun or defusing. But everything is still in it's place, buildings, houses, etc, Zamasu is not consuming the world, and Zeno's universal erasure seems like overkill.

The anime gives a vibe much grimmer, the whole planet seems consumed, there is nothing left, not just life, everything, it's a barren land, and it is still going. There is literally nothing they can do, there's probably little to no oxygen left(although there was enough for them to chat). Is like Zamasu actually left them behind and is now more interested in new horizons. It looks like the only way to stop that is through Zeno, unlike the manga, here it doesn't look like using a nuclear bomb to kill a thug.

I prefer the idea of the manga, army of clones vs planet-engulfment but I dislike the resolution, both of them. I feel the awful resolution made more sense for the anime and that the manga took the easy way out, mostly due to bad writting, using trump cards when they weren't needed, out of some fan-service duty.
Grimlock wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:32 pm
or that rip in space-time made by Black's scythe, that not even Toei knew what it was.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:54 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:40 pm The theory basically states that Zamasu's essence managed to latch onto Zeno before the multiverse got erased, and then took over Zeno while he was left alone floating in the void. The main evidence that supports this theory is that Future Zeno acted in a different way compared to Present Zeno (mainly the fact that one is left-handed while the other is right-handed). Since they are the same person and lived under the same circumstances, they should be identical. Furthermore Future Zeno would always raise his right hand after looking at P. Zeno, and this could be interpreted as Zamasu trying to imitate Present Zeno as best he could to remain hidden and to make it seem like there's nothing odd about Future Zeno.

I'm fairly certain that this theory has been debunked already and is very unlikely to happen, but then again so many unlikely things happened in Super that there's always a small chance. I'll admit that it's more of a joke theory and it's very far-fetched.
Oh god, that's giving me 'Nam style flashbacks to the "Hit's clone" fan theories... :sick: I love Zamasu but I think he needs to stay dead.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:39 pm I think having Zamasu turn the tables on everyone like that was a great idea, but why on earth would they end the arc so soon ? It could've easily lead into a new one with everyone on the run form him, trying to figure out a way to restore things to normal.
them LOSING at the end was the whole point. It was a reversal of the usual DB themes, and how calling down a god(be the Dragon God with the Dragon Balls of the All-King with the button) resulted into even more DESPAIR instead of being a insta-resolve, destroying even the HOPE of restoring Trunks' world when it was erased alongside the illegal streams.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:36 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:54 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:40 pm The theory basically states that Zamasu's essence managed to latch onto Zeno before the multiverse got erased, and then took over Zeno while he was left alone floating in the void. The main evidence that supports this theory is that Future Zeno acted in a different way compared to Present Zeno (mainly the fact that one is left-handed while the other is right-handed). Since they are the same person and lived under the same circumstances, they should be identical. Furthermore Future Zeno would always raise his right hand after looking at P. Zeno, and this could be interpreted as Zamasu trying to imitate Present Zeno as best he could to remain hidden and to make it seem like there's nothing odd about Future Zeno.

Oh god, that's giving me 'Nam style flashbacks to the "Hit's clone" fan theories... :sick: I love Zamasu but I think he needs to stay dead.
Knowing how a lot of returning DB villains ended up, remaining dead would indeed be merciful... he could be turned into a scooby doo-level villain or, even worse, redeem himself... and I've had enough of reformed villains.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:30 pm

Anime. If there was any theme to the Future Trunks arc was that, no matter how hard you try, how strong you become, or how many miracles you can pull, sometimes you just lose.
Manga Infinite Zamasu gave the vibe that he was beatable, or at the very least they could fight back. In the anime it was game over. If they pulled MIU, Blue Evolution, whatever, there was no way to fight him.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:46 pm

I rather to have new things, so the anime version is the winner for me.
The manga version is just Metal Coola movie again - Worn out Goku/Vegeta in a hopeless situation against infinite clones of the main villain.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:12 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:36 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:54 pm

Knowing how a lot of returning DB villains ended up, remaining dead would indeed be merciful... he could be turned into a scooby doo-level villain or, even worse, redeem himself... and I've had enough of reformed villains.
Agreed, a reformed Zamasu sounds horrific
Last edited by Ilikepictures-meh on Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.